Forum › Posts by Koveras

joined Jul 15, 2016

Let's start a club! How's that sound? Then we're not alone anymore ^^b

Club “broken beyond repair”

It already exists, it's just called "Dynasty Reader Forums". >__>

last edited at Sep 3, 2016 4:51AM

joined Jul 15, 2016

I tried suggesting/creating the Amnesia tag for this (with the idea of then adding it to the other two series), but apparently messed it up. Can someone explain to me how it's done?

joined Jul 15, 2016

hey, this is the 3rd story on Dynasty where one of the characters had amnesia. crud, anyone remember the 3rd? i think the MC was in art school or something and her love interest's attitude towards her completely changed. so there's this one, Bright and Cheery, Blank, and i cannot remember the 3rd. anyone know the title?

Art school? Wow I dont think I ever read that one

Probably Watashi no Taisetsu na Tomodachi, if memory serves.

thanks Nez, that's the one!

Is it possible to create a tag for these three?

Koveras
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ I was just wondering about the same thing.

last edited at Aug 30, 2016 12:58PM

joined Jul 15, 2016

But do you think the manga medium (especially the cutesy chibi drawing style) was what have sent the story and its message across?

On top of what hiruyuririn and Nezchan said, I think the question should be not so much about the medium itself, as about the choice of medium by that particular author. From the autobiographical bits in the first two chapters, I gather that she has realized that drawing is her preferred mode of self-expression from early on (she took art classes in college) and then kept drawing even while she went through all the bad stuff. I therefore think that if she told her story in any other medium than manga, it would have never had this much impact. Another author could have have told their own similar story in a different medium better, but it would have been a different story with a different message.

As for the cutesy chibi-style, I think it is consciously or unconsciously used to invoke our sympathy for the protagonist by underlining her vulnerability in the face of the largely uncaring outside world. It may sound judging when put that way, but my judgement is actually that it does perfectly what it is supposed to do in this case.

last edited at Aug 30, 2016 12:19PM

joined Jul 15, 2016

I feel weird about how closely the author's timeline of epiphany matches up with my own, despite me having endured very different traumas and never technically suffering from depression. I kinda thought said timeline had to do with the nature of the trauma itself, but this story got me thinking that it may mainly have to do with age, instead (I must have been born around the same year as the author, by my calculations).

I still remember my own epiphany, when after seven years of not doing much with my life, I realized that it wasn't really my own until then. It was... stolen, I guess, taken away from me by circumstances? Anyhow, I remember saying "I'm taking my fucking life back," which has since become my madness mantra. And I remember standing before the doctor's office, my entire body almost shutting down at the mere thought that I was about to admit having a problem to another person. Now that I think of it, pushing that doorknob was probably the bravest thing I did in my entire life. I don't want to think what it was like for the author to put her problems for all the world to see, but I am grateful that she did.

last edited at Aug 28, 2016 7:18PM

joined Jul 15, 2016

There's nothing wrong with having our brains broken though.

Yup. You break a leg, you may get a limp -- you go through some crap, you get a slightly broken brain.

well a few hours she tweeted a bit about her parents complaining about the stuff she wrote about in her manga, it was pretty interesting, if incredibly long, either way it seems manga work and stuff has at least stabilized her life somewhat. I swear she's turning out to be one of my favourite artists/all round people XD.

That's good to hear. I wonder how it feels, to suddenly gain a fandom after so many years of effective isolation. :D I hope she can seize this opportunity to take control of her life and turn it into something she enjoys in a long run.

joined Jul 15, 2016

anyone know how the mangaka is doing atm? hope she's well

Just wanted to ask that myself.

feels good to not have a mental illness

I think everyone's brain is at least a little bit broken. :-) The "healthy" people are just more adept at dealing with those traumas or just lucky enough to have not experienced truly horrific stuff.

Koveras
Terumina discussion 22 Aug 13:43
joined Jul 15, 2016

to the post above: i think this manga is legal in Holland, but i'm not sure

You can only buy it in specific, ahem, bookshops.

last edited at Aug 22, 2016 1:43PM

Koveras
Terumina discussion 22 Aug 01:53
joined Jul 15, 2016

I bet if you printed this manga out, burned it, and snorted the ashes, something's good would happen to you.

Where do I buy it?

I'd tell you, but I'm pretty sure it's classified as a Schedule I drug. :-/

last edited at Aug 22, 2016 1:40PM

Koveras
Terumina discussion 21 Aug 17:11
joined Jul 15, 2016

I bet if you printed this manga out, burned it, and snorted the ashes, something's good would happen to you.

Koveras
Looking for manga 19 Aug 13:39
joined Jul 15, 2016

That's it, thank you!

Koveras
Looking for manga 19 Aug 12:24
joined Jul 15, 2016

I'm just gonna ask here, as well... I have recently read an older manga here about a girl founding a paranormal research club and roping two of her "great and amazing sempais" into it as ghost members, without actually giving a crap about them. I forgot to bookmark it and now can't find it again. :-( Can anyone help?

joined Jul 15, 2016

Not exactly my cup of tea, but i'll do it, i'll do it for the Sukhoi! Or is it a mig? Sometimes it's hard to tell when you're this drunk

I think that's an F-16, actually (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F16_SCANG_InFlight.jpg). JASDF doesn't fly them, however, so it may be a F-15 variant instead. Not an expert tho...

Koveras
joined Jul 15, 2016

That's 84 fan years, duh. Like dog years, but more gay women.

After rereading that statement umpteen times, I have reached enlightenment. Thank you, sensei.

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 11:05AM

joined Jul 15, 2016

I do as well, but I'm not expecting much developement and just enjoying Akina's mild insanity and the overall cuteness. :p

The best (and possibly only) way to enjoy this series. ;-)

joined Jul 15, 2016

Just a change of pace? I once skipped school, and went up to a hill and stayed there... Ate my lunch still in my uniform, saw the cars coming and going in the distance and then came back home... I was feeling really tired.

It could be any number of reasons, indeed. I was just wondering whether the thought of Ayaka acting in a suicidal manner (perhaps unconsciously and not all that seriously, i.e. in more of a cry-for-help way, which Yurine heard) has crossed anyone else's mind in that scene. I may be reading too deeply into it, but good stories often have several layers of meaning and it's fun trying to figure them out.

last edited at Jul 15, 2016 2:11PM

joined Jul 15, 2016

Has anyone else found page 13 unexpectedly dark? First Ayaka declares she wants to "go to the sea", then she tries to get Yurine to stop following her, and once there, she claims she did not want to "see" it, in the first palce. For what other purpose would a teenager driven to a breaking point by her parents' unrealistically high expectations and lack of affection go to the ocean all alone?