Forum › Posts by riverFlower

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I have to be impressed with how after all the hijinks and exaggerated slack-jawed disbelief, the last page still ends on a touching note. Like I got feels from seeing Marisa and Reimu striding forward. And all the little "End"s from the side-stories, really reminds me of Gintama, which is one of the best things a thing could ever be.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's canon though. Sakuya doesn't want to become immortal.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Never read any Love Live but the title drew me in. It's good. Can't judge canonicity but great buildup.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Awwwwww it was cute and that's enough for me. I think I'm just glad there was a happy ending, and what looks like a good relationship to come out of it.

The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I thought the butterflies were going to show up again.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Except Alice isn't a human lol.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's not bad. Not sure if it was too-direct translations or original phrasing but wording seemed a bit awkward. This one is unique for letting Marisa become a magician. Unexpected but welcome addition of other Gensokyo residents besides the main couple.

Don't really have any more thoughts. They're not my favorite pairing but this was well-written. And every character was undeniably themselves, which can't be said of every doujin. I'm not sure if this Marisa and Reimu fit my head canon, but I respect them as the extensions of canon that the author envisioned. It's always interesting seeing what people imagine of future Gensokyo. Would Gensokyo be more boring? Would the immortal residents not be able to forget their past companions? I don't know, but it's so easy in Touhou to touch on loss.

I will say that becoming immortal as a result of feeling lonely seems like a shitty solution. I know what it's intended to mean here, as a desire for Reimu to look at her, but one can easily look to Mokou to see what immortality can do. Plus Marisa's interest in immortality seems to be more out of curiosity, as fitting of a good magician, than emotional distress, but whatever.

I give satisfying-ending props to the author for name dropping the title at the very end.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

This manga is not receiving as much as reception as it deserves, it is so amazing.

I don't know how it could get more, I've read (cba to check it up) that it's the most popular yuri work at the moment and everybody praises it left and right.

A yagakimi anime would be nice, but I'm not sure if this type of manga would do well in anime format, I feel it wouldn't fit much, especially due to the pacing and the fact it's not over yet.

Citrus isn't over either. I don't think the pacing would necessarily be an issue, they would just have to be very careful with keeping all the moments of character development intact. So not much deviation from original would be possible.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

This series is really good at keeping me guessing. I hope it'll have the same element of suspense even when rereading the completed work.

I was thinking about why this chapter hit home, and realized it's because Akira's been assuming Pure is some form of delusional, though genuinely enthusiastic, stalker, and dismissing her feelings. But now she can't ignore that those feelings are real. I really like how there's a natural follow-through between the knowledge that we've seen Pure swear utter devotion to Akira but still played her excitement for laughs, to this inevitable consequence, where she's hurt and trying to not be hurt. It's fantastic when authors treat their characters as people.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Anyone has good touhou comedy authors recomendation?

Pagaretta without a doubt.

riverFlower Uploader
⑨’s discussion 15 Jan 00:09
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

A common pattern of Gensokyo characters being afflicted with boredom, a desire for stimulation, and immersion in the thrill and/or senselessness of violence. I think it's the curse of having too much power, or having nothing left to attain, that sort of empty feeling, something which the author often connects as inherent to being a Touhou protagonist, their curse. Hmm. They all have great atmosphere, I definitely feel the savage senselessness and despair in every doujin, but maybe that's why I only came closest to liking Beautiful World and Gungnir. They're too dark AND too senseless, and while "senselessness" is a key part of Gensokyo, one of its foundational truths... every character is not like 'this', the specific way they're all portrayed by Stripe Pattern, and it's, not, Gensokyo enough. It's just not. These are something else, not the underlying themes of Touhou. Too much despair I would say, in these depictions, too much despair that's not there.

Well, it's nice to read their afterwords. They put a lot of heart and work and thought into every doujin (geez just look at that art) and they do intend to tell a type of complete story. It's nice maybe to keep them in the back of the head, to think about them at the darkest times. ...or maybe not. I have to say they do use some interesting storytelling techniques, like the two timelines here which violently intersect, cutting off Sanae's "redundant" section. Ah and they really like using repetition, of a single phrase or a single concept throughout an entire work, building on that one idea minutely towards the end.

Blasphemy! Why is Cirno not there despite its title?

Haha I thought the same. Looking at the title, I thought Stripe Pattern was finally going to have a more lighthearted piece, but nope.

last edited at Jan 16, 2018 6:12PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I'll admit I don't quite understand what's being expressed. Does she believe that she is strong or that she isn't? I guess not, since she doesn't truly want to fly alone and does want to/is part of a group? I get an immense sense of loneliness out of this piece, but the exact nature of it I'm not sure of. The text in red box on pg 11 also confuses me, can only make sense of it as being about not wanting to be alone, or of wanting to be strong enough to say "that's detestable". Can't say for the sure what the desire is. Also some disconnect between relating being alone and the world being beautiful.

I sort of understand enough to have a feeling of it, but the author's depiction really isn't clear enough to allow for full analysis.

This is still going on my favorites list though, because of the artwork. This is the most beautiful art I've seen from Stripe Pattern so far. The pictures are the best, they look like classical oil paintings. And there's such excellent use of light and shadow, framework composition, and dynamic postures. Full color's absolutely necessary and not wasted. I seriously want to know if they drew references from any particular painting because those snapshots are fucking gorgeous.

Back to analysis, I'm still confused. I've reread all the text five times now. It's a bit confusing because what's being said about her aloneness seems slightly contradictory. I don't know what she truly believes or what she wants to believe. I do get this feeling of her being chained, in one form or another. End feeling is that it's something like Aya wants to participate in the world with others, but she can only through her pictures of people being together and when she says that line to Reimu, it is as part of a claim that she belongs. And then when Reimu beats her and moves on, Aya knows that's what being truly alone (truly free) means, and it is something she can't reach. Sort of trapped between both worlds, both of which are beautiful, but in between, where she is, is nowhere. Ah I see. I think that makes more sense now.

Also it's nice seeing Aya take legitimate pictures of memorable moments, not just embarrassing gossip ones. :p

last edited at Jan 14, 2018 10:52PM

riverFlower Uploader
Battle Cry discussion 14 Jan 21:52
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Looks like there's a running theme of people being unable to stand the world in these pre-EOSD works... And that Gensokyo is a paradise which accepts all. Interesting but mixed feelings? Find it hard to believe in this Patchy.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

This is amusing.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Huh, it sounds interesting. Funny coincidence, I'm currently part of an anthology group writing about a world which uses sigils and rituals. XD

I think I'll take a look at your website later.

riverFlower Uploader
At Chirei discussion 13 Jan 23:55
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Another Touhou doujin I read without knowing anything about the series. It's great. All the cute, fourth wall references, Orin and Okuu in chibi animal form, a complete story involving all the denizens of the Former Hell.

I've barely gotten past Koishi's first few spellcards on ReimuB, so my grasp of her character is limited, but this seems relatively accurate. Heh I remember being so confused by the "god of eggs" and the frog statue when I read it blind. Fits canon, doesn't get too heavy while still being meaningful, plays up each person's silly parts in balance with their core traits, I couldn't ask for a better SA origin story.

riverFlower Uploader
At Chirei discussion 13 Jan 23:48
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Where's the yuri subtext? These are sisters and pets, there's no romance.

Pretty strong subtext between Yuugi and Parsee. And although I hate incest pairings, it could be said there's subtext for Satori and Koishi. Oh and pretty heavy Orin + Satori specially in chapter one.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Page 10 makes me question how reisen is treated canon wise

She's treated perfectly fine as far as I know. Tewi's the only person who doesn't listen to her, but Tewi doesn't listen to anybody. Some of her game profiles say Eirin calls her Udonge affectionately and chapter one of CiLR she's annoyed at having to clean up after the Earth rabbits, not sad or beaten down or whatever.

This fan depiction of her is probably really common because of Inaba of the Moon and Earth, which is semi-canon and more comedic/exaggerated than anything. I've never read Inaba of the Moon and Earth, but that's the impression I get of how she's shown.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Where are you guys getting these chapters?

riverFlower Uploader
Walk Wit Me discussion 11 Jan 20:00
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Geez. The darkness.

Vivid, fitting imagery for the time and place, of dust and coal, swallowed, choking in tar.

Wendy's echo, of what Marly said of adults being like scrap metal, was quite ironic. That moment of trying to be like her savior. You know, she might not have needed saving in the same way as her mother, but she was just as lost and in pain. That's never a valid excuse in real life, but for the story, I'm glad she got a second chance. These children taking on the burden of their parents' failures and their parents' weaknesses, the rich bitterness of being trapped and unable to leave, because regardless, you are still bound to these hateful humans through blood or otherwise.

On the other hand, the image of the mother crying also strikes me. It really is enraging seeing someone you love and trusted betray another person you love and thought they loved too, which is what led to Wendy's fury streaks, likely breaking and throwing things, threatening to hurt her mother (ugh describing it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth, when my friend went through the same thing), and being unpredictably violent. And for the mother, those are the reminders of her weakness and fear from not being able to stop her daughter, because she's right. The fear of having to bear this unpredictability and danger, because she is helpless, because she doesn't know what else to do. Her, cowering against the wall.

Maybe you could say Marly isn't a saint, for having accepted Wendy so easily. If she had sworn to protect Wendy because she heard her crying all the time, then the revelation it was Wendy's mother crying should have inspired in her the same urge to protect. But she had wanted Wendy for Wendy. And so that was how it was. Love for love.

They should know that the lies they detest won't disappear outside their dying coal town. But I suppose that is their childishness, their hope. What a melancholy piece of art. Impressed with the pencil sketch, charcoal look.

Pg 35 of the last part shows what appear to be blood stains on Wendy's dress, the placement and appearance indicating they flew out from an impact. I don't like to consider what that means, but I suppose she did hurt something or somebody at some point. Or it could be symbolic of her dirtied heart.

I like beautiful stories.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

In Japan it is illegal to have hormones or surgery for being transgender if you are under 21

The other pixiv image this author had shows they meet/this story happens in 大学 or college.

riverFlower Uploader
Their Story discussion 11 Jan 17:38
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's official, Mo is a beautiful cinnamon bun, and her inevitable heartbreak is going to tear me to pieces.

</3 She'll be fine in the end.

riverFlower Uploader
Their Story discussion 11 Jan 16:53
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Actually skimming over the most recent 300 posts, there's only two posts I saw explicitly commenting they wish there wasn't a third party, and one of them adds on that even so they think she's cool too.

A summary of other posts I saw, what I mentioned above, and people talking about whether Qiu Tong's going to fight her rival, Sun Jing belongs to Qiu Tong, sending love to Tan Jiu + Sun Jing + Xiao Nan, "So this was her story all along", variations of "That's understandable but don't try to take Sun Jing away from Qiu Tong", advice for Xiao Nan like "Don't fall in love with a ray of light, you can't catch it" or "Sun Jing's actually an idiot, she doesn't deserve your love. Let her ruin Qiu Tong. Think a bit more openly pink-haired girl."

The last one was pretty funny.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting seeing the contrast in opinions readers here and on Weibo have.

The author should be careful readership doesn't decline during this.

Oh you definitely don't need to worry about that.

riverFlower Uploader
Their Story discussion 11 Jan 16:20
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

You know, I like Mo Xiao Nan. I have to admire her bravery for constantly trying to get closer to Sun Jing, even when she doesn't seem interested. There is a point at which she has to accept Sun Jing has no interest in her, which will likely be the end of this arc, but, to say she's only there as a love rival I think is unfair to her. This update makes it clear too, what the depths of her feelings are, and I always like characters who I can relate to in some aspect. The bullying scene shows an element of bravery and naivety that felt very real. Not thinking things through completely, expecting somebody who's too scared to even stand up for themselves stand up for her, not blaming them or even the bullies for the situation she's in, but claiming responsibility for her actions. I like that. If it was Sun Jing, she would have charged in without hesitation and somehow or another forced the bullies to stop, because that's how bullheaded and charismatic she is. This is a different scenario, of somebody who aims to do something but isn't lucky? strong? enough to carry it through. And here is Sun Jing showing up at just the right moment, displaying what Mo Xiao Nan lacks and desires.

Story-wise, if Xiao Nan needs to have a "reason" to be here, then yes I do think it's for Qiu Tong to show she's serious. But this arc and Xiao Nan's actions have been built up over time from the very beginning, her first appearance is in the second update, and this is not a random, half-assed melodrama act.

Not that it matters, but in the Weibo comments for this update, roughly half of the most upvoted comments are people appreciating Xiao Nan as a good person/somebody with a story/understandable/with compelling feelings. (The other half are joking that Qiu Tong has been squatting by the gate since last year but I digress.) So for the original reading population at least, there's no arguing about Mo Xiao Nan's place.

The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Last page, 金 does mean gold but I think money is closer to what Reimu's demanding. Come to think of it, it is an interesting idea to have Sakuya fall into Gensokyo because she forgot herself, her own name and fate. Timeline is incorrect, for relative times in between SDM relocating to Gensokyo, creation of spellcard rules, and amount of time Sakuya has spent working at SDM.

I'm a bit tired of anybody being depicted as insane = murderous. Main complaint with the Sakuya shown here. Why is she apologizing anyway on page 30? She killed two men without issue and she thinks Remilia is the devil. But I like child Sakuya and Remilia gathering all of Gensokyo for the most epic snowball match in history (that's a lie I know there's another story where the same thing happens; I can't remember the name, only that Alice was strategizing with her dolls)