Forum › Posts by Nezchan

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Judging by Meiling's character, I believe that if ever this happened, she will hunt down Mokou or anyone who ate the Hourai pill and extract their liver for Sakuya to eat (it won't kill the immortal being but it will be able to grant the human immortality equal to them)

Sakuya wouldn't eat it, and Meiling wouldn't force her. That's pretty solid in both their personalities.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Alien from the Darkness? Wow, those were the VHS-days.

I still dream of those days. And wake up screaming.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I have totally had mornings like that.

Nezchan Moderator
Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Tiger, dragon...chicken?
Hehe

Roosters are known to be aggressive, and there's a reason cockfighting is considered a blood sport. For their stature, they can be pretty vicious.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Today it is Kotori the best friend walking alongside of Umi, in the future it will Kotori the lover.

...unless this is the prologue to an Eri x Umi story.

I'm such a bad person.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

In case somebody is wonderind (and is too lazy to look at the helpful link onyxpanda put), is because the dutch sailor that said have invented the hole in doughnuts wanted to keep his hands free to steer. After that, it's simply because doughnuts are heavily associated with their holes, so most bakers simply make them with the hole out of tradition

From the link provided, he gave several explanations over the years for why he did it. The one given was that the dough in the middle tended to not cook well when frying, and this solved the issue. That seems a bit more realistic than the steering story, although both might be false.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's weirdly ironic that now that there aren't spoiler tags being used here, it's now easier for me to monitor the thread without being spoiled. Funny how things work out, eh?

Nezchan Moderator
Present discussion 22 Mar 16:53
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This site is SO good for my ego. <3

Nezchan Moderator
Present discussion 22 Mar 15:37
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, this was just awesome. It made me smile involuntarily though. I don't like that.

Just make sure to choose to smile before you start smiling involuntarily next time then.

NO! Smiling is the enemy. It implies happiness. Me being happy is just wrong.

I must not smile.
Smiles are the grim-killer.
Smiles are the little-happy that brings total euphoria.
I will face my grins.
I will permit them to pass over me and through me.
And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the smiles have gone there will be gloom.
Only emo will remain.

last edited at Mar 22, 2015 3:37PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If doughnuts didn't have holes, there'd be no excuse for makingTimbits!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Finally got to sit down and read the whole thing as one complete story, rather than separated chapters, and the ending seemed perfectly fine to me. No particular dangling plot points, no change in pace from the rest of the series, people and gods come to understandings with each other and life keeps rolling on.

Totally not seeing what people are complaining about, it's a sweet slice of life story with an appropriate, if relatively open, ending. But even that is in keeping with the series' style so it works.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Homophobia =/= "history of mistreatment" of homosexuals.

Phobia = "a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."

[http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phobia?s=ts]

Homophobia = "unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality."

[http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia?s=t]

Heterophobia, therefore, = unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward heterosexuals and heterosexuality.

Argumentum ad Dictionarium is a weak approach at best, and tends to totally ignore that words don't occur in a vacuum. They exist in a social context (often multiple contexts), so that yes the term homophobia IS deeply tied up in "history of mistreatment" of homosexuals, as you put it.

As I said earlier, a dislike of hetstuff is a personal preference and indeed a bias. There's no question about that. But even at its strongest, there's no comparison at all with homophobia, as much as many people out there would love to conflate the two. Focusing on some sort of pseudo-medical definition is basically running down a blind alley at best, and in general isn't discussing the same thing the conversation has been about thus far.

Nezchan Moderator
Lily Love discussion 22 Mar 12:19
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Are 7-elevens really such an unknown thing that there needed to be a note about it? I'll admit that I can't recall ever going to one, but I at least know what they are...

I grew up in Eastern Canada and I've only seen one 7-11 store. otherwise I've only seen them mentioned in books or on TV.

Nezchan Moderator
Lily Love discussion 21 Mar 20:29
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hehe, baby dykes. I tend to use the word "dykelings", has that cute and fluffy feel.

Dykelings makes me think of dumplings. This definitely has nothing to do with the fact I'm hungry right now either.

Tasty either way, you must admit.

Nezchan Moderator
Lily Love discussion 21 Mar 19:43
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If there is one thing that I have learned from yuri, it's that lesbians grease their floorboards

Is that what the baby dykes are calling it these days? :-P

Nezchan Moderator
Lily Love discussion 21 Mar 19:34
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

First page: "Passed" should be "past".

Really like the cliffhanger. I've never bought the "accidental kiss" stuff, since real people would catch themselves before contact. This feels a lot more real.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I keep reading the title as a street address.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Nezchan Moderator
ventilation discussion 21 Mar 10:32
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"This isn't love."
Damn, that was cold. :/

Well of course not, she isn't a lesbian so how could it be?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So if heterophobia doesn't exist, then what am I supposed to call it when someone goes "EW HET" and starts whining because someone has different tastes than they do?

It's just a distaste, cripes. Even if they make a big fuss, there aren't any teeth to it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Jesus, the heterophobia here is scary...

i knew the comments would be a shitstorm but...........can we stop being youtube comments? heterophobia is not a thing that exists.

Its a center vs. margins deal. Socially there is no such thing as opposite -isms and reverse -phobias, even though mindsets such as "Oh, white guys can't play basketball" and "Well, heterosexuals are not near as sensitive" and "Guys are always guilty when accused of rape" exist, it's not a -phobia or an -ism so much as it is simply just bad stereotyping.

My favourite metaphor is that shit like "heterophobia" for comments like Frenda's (even when it appears every bloody time a 'het' manga appears) or "reverse racism" for things like "white men can't dunk" or even BLATANT MISANDRY, is that it's like getting stabbed with a rubber knife. It may be annoying and insulting, and it might even be slightly painful. But it doesn't actually do real damage. The reverse however, is often known to cause real harm and even kill, much like being stabbed with a knife made of steel and sharpened to a keen edge. It's ridiculous to talk about them as if they're equivalent.

last edited at Mar 20, 2015 9:52PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

i knew the comments would be a shitstorm but...........can we stop being youtube comments? heterophobia is not a thing that exists.

Or if it does, it's merely a distaste at most and not in the same universe as homophobia, let alone the ballpark.

Do they have ballparks in other universes?

Obviously they do

Source: Space Jam

Well, if we're talking basketball, see also: Buzzer Beater.

What? I liked it!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Or if it does, it's merely a distaste at most and not in the same universe as homophobia, let alone the ballpark.

Do they have ballparks in other universes?

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

^ Nobody is 100% straight, or 100% gay for that matter.

Honestly, I don't believe that. There's no way to prove it one way or the other, but it still requires redefining bi/pansexual all the way up to including exclusive in the same or opposite sex (depending whether you mean gay or straight), by which point it becomes a useless term. I know it's a popular notion in some circles that "everyone's bi to some degree" and being bi/pan myself I've believed it at one point or another but I don't think it really bears out in practice.

tl;dr Nah, I don't buy it.