Forum › Posts by axelmania

axelmania
Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

You can see the horror roots of this author in the scenes where the boundary of life and death become thinner: the grandfather's imagination of his wife, and Nana's struggle with consciousness on top of the mountain. Paradoxically I appreciate as another commenter said how well they manage to keep destructive bugs from seeming disgusting, and bring out all of their behaviors in an interesting and neutral way. The side part about fan clubs and idols does seem out of place, but I think that's the beauty of an author putting together the different things they like into one work. What tender relationships they all have, both platonic and romantic.

axelmania
joined Apr 21, 2020

I'm surprised how much I've found this fun despite it being classic BL but with girls. It's so common in het romance and then in certain tops in BL to have the love interest be extremely dominant yet tortured and immature, so the "girl" can feel she truly knows him and can fix him.The blatant tropiness of that, how everyone desires the supposedly average protagonist, the random pop-out reactions in the panels, all the rich kid antics and just the very painful style of the art... It's fun, even if it does not at all work on a romantic level.

axelmania
Pink Ribbon discussion 21 Dec 08:50
joined Apr 21, 2020

The slow reveal of how much Yuxuan cares for Lumiao has been so good. She keeps not only accommodating her but going out of her way to make her happy. It feels great to see that portrayal of what love really is beyond just attraction.

joined Apr 21, 2020

I didn't expect that the novel would be even more romantic than the manhua! I am loving this so much. "But I love being caught by you"!!! I'm glad that the novel reminds us how Yvonne's behavior must look to Elsa, who knows nothing of systems and could only think of her half-hearted bullying as pulling pigtails.

axelmania
Image Comments 14 Dec 08:03
joined Apr 21, 2020
Curryuku-1458514797549477901-img1

If the author reversed the ratio in their manga from 90/10 toilet humor/romance like this to the opposite configuration, I would read it again.

axelmania
Image Comments 14 Dec 07:48
joined Apr 21, 2020

I don't understand why a game about one-dimensional cartoon cookies produces so much hot fanart, but I'm not unhappy about it.

joined Apr 21, 2020

I find the pause before Elsa says "in this lifetime" interesting. It's not impossible this is a story where she is trapped in the game, forced to play it over and over, just like in "Beware of the Villainess".

axelmania
joined Apr 21, 2020

The sly yet sad way Zhang Guo says she doesn't agree that she's always considerate... I have to wonder if this fake engagement isn't because of just how tired she is of being propositioned, but the lie makes her feel guilty.

joined Apr 21, 2020

It really shows Pandacorya's power that this is currently the top viewed story on Dynasty Scans by a landslide. My friends and I have been bringing up some of the images in it and laughing almost every other day.

joined Apr 21, 2020

I was talking to my friend about this manga today and apparently it's actually somewhat common in Japan for people to have unused homes in rural areas, with the aging population and urbanization. You inherit the property but can't uproot your life to properly use it.

joined Apr 21, 2020

Lot of Momoka hate in this thread. Some counterpoints may be found below:

spent20minutesonthisforsomereasonpleasehelp

Thank you for your hard work!

joined Apr 21, 2020

Well, the point is that one of the tasks is dramatically easier than the other two, and in a scenario that just involves cold food, the harsher options still probably can't get that harsh. I think the idea is that you say she's poor and needs charity, and that you would give her old food you wouldn't necessarily want to eat anymore.

axelmania
joined Apr 21, 2020

I'm very confused as to why people are talking about ntr here. No one is even dating? Doesn't that make it impossible? Am I misunderstanding what ntr means??

Ran keeps staring at Ami and gives her an uncomfortable vibe. She correctly observes Ami's feelings and confronts her about them without making it clear whether she's interested in her or inspecting a love rival. Something about that careful holding of the cards to the chest, and the ending set up of the pure affection between Ami and her crush, makes it feel like Ran is going to ruin it for Ami somehow. I wouldn't jump to NTR myself but that's where I think it's coming from, the strange behavior and ambiguity in who she likes.

last edited at Nov 28, 2021 2:38PM

joined Apr 21, 2020

Wouldn't we all like to have a convenient relative with a free house for us when we get burned out from the job market...

last edited at Nov 22, 2021 2:17AM

joined Apr 21, 2020

Can Rin stop being so pathetic already? Why these artists are obsessed with doorknob characters without an ounce of self-steem who crawl back to those who willingly hurt them? It's such cheap drama. I would love to see once, JUST ONCE, a story that ends with the wronged party just saying "fuck it" and just leaving. Some relationships are not worth fighting for.

This exists, it's a yuri called Behind the Curtain and can be read on Webtoon.

It's explained that Rin has trouble getting close to people, and has never had a close friend besides Momoka, who initiated everything. She can't bring herself to choose to pursue someone even platonically. That was her one good friendship, and there isn't an indication yet that reconciliation is completely hopeless. This is a person with low self-esteem after the traumatizing event of losing her mother and the general public having the gall to talk badly about her for it. It obviously is an incredibly poor choice to go after someone that is expressing themself so immaturely, but she doesn't want to lose someone else and maybe even she doesn't expect good treatment in the first place. Rin is a teenager who's barely begun to work out her issues and isn't going to behave like an adult who's been through therapy.

joined Apr 21, 2020

This seems very similar to Netsuzou Trap. I'm interested in seeing where it diverges, or if it does at all. I feel for Momoka, aware that just asking for what she wants outright doesn't mean she'll get it, and her anxious need for someone to rely solely on her that was fed by the shy, unsociable person Rin used to be. It's interesting that it developed in her when Rin was the one who was left by her mother, so I wonder what Momoka's past was like. All the kissing scenes where Rin isn't sure whether she should do it or not are so exciting, and even better when she gives into her desire to keep Momoka close to her, urging her on rather than conceding. Someday Momoka is going to grow up and realize that forever love she's chasing won't be found in any person, no matter how well she picks them, but facing that is harder than continuing to search.

joined Apr 21, 2020

They're doing everything half-heartedly, from their suicide attempts to their friendships, just going with the flow so they don't have to think too much about the choices they're making. I don't know why but it tends to feel good, stubbornly charging forward into unhealthy things, maybe because it feels like at least you're doing something. Even if your motivation is soul crushing like the OL's, a total void of happiness and inability to imagine a future. If you don't charge forward, your instinctive sense of responsibility will hold you back again and things won't change. Regardless of the similarities in the characters' appearances, that's a different and much bleaker dynamic than in Still Sick.

axelmania
joined Apr 21, 2020

This art style is outstanding, and I would take almost anything drawn in it. Instead we get this lovely depiction of what seems like sleep deprived college students teasing each other about their crushes.

joined Apr 21, 2020

There's some light BDSM potential in staging bullying scenes without genuine malice and Elsa consenting to it, or in the case of getting doused in water, seemingly enjoying it.

axelmania
joined Apr 21, 2020

Does anyone know of any mature (and I mean women who are 50+) stories not on Dynasty Scans? I've exhausted what little is here. What I'm aware of so far is Her by Tomoko Yamashita.

joined Apr 21, 2020

I think the brilliance in this series is that it's kept up in the air whether the classmate is an obsessed fan or a real magical girl. Either way, the protagonist's classmate is dangerous, and either way, she has to face how deep her classmate's feelings are for her. But if neither option is confirmed, it's like neither option has really happened, and she can keep hiding from it the same way she hides from the manga update and her classmate's likely emotional reaction to her fumble.

joined Apr 21, 2020

I love it when yuri uses shoujo conventions. This does it perfectly, with blushing, flowery backgrounds, idealization of fictional relationship patterns, slapstick comedy, and most importantly, pink ink. Makes me want to bring out my old copies of Shoujo Beat.

joined Apr 21, 2020

The concept for this manhua is great, but I'm a little disappointed that it's so light-hearted in tone most of the time despite the characters constantly facing mortal danger. I hope their situation ramps up and gets more dramatic eventually.

axelmania
Your Warmth discussion 13 Nov 19:29
joined Apr 21, 2020

What a lovely story. I really liked the portrayal of how they give and take in their relationship, having boundaries and yet often being supportive and selfless. The panel where a younger Nacchan is in her classroom and looking at a desk with flowers on it is meant to imply that one of her classmates had died. Being back in Tokyo would probably bring up memories of that person.

axelmania
Image Comments 13 Nov 13:32
joined Apr 21, 2020
E5imsb3viaq1adv-orig

This reminds of how much I love Andy/Miranda from The Devil Wears Prada.