Forum › Posts by BoobTwinkler

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I'm reminded of a scene in Sword Art Online in which Asuna and her mother Kyouko log into ALO, the latter for the first time. Kyouko remarks that her avatar feels light, and Asuna says that's natural, since the avatar weighs about 40 kg. They then get into an uncharacteristically lighthearted debate over who's "fat" in real life(which Asuna notes is the first time she's had a conversation about nothing with her mother). Because of that, I found that 40kg as an end goal was rather light, although noting that it's the low end of Ritsu's desired range makes sense.

For an adult woman to weigh 40kg in real life without being cripplingly underweight, she would need to legally be a dwarf.

Literally. The legal definition of dwarfism is anyone below 147cm (4.82ft), and the point where weighing 40kg becomes not cripplingly underweight is 146cm (4.79ft). It's honestly kinda disgusting that 40kg is even included in the "range" as a possibility when only someone with dwarfism could possibly weigh that little without being a skeleton.

Her previous weight point of 52kg was perfectly healthy by all accounts both for a woman of average height in japan as well as someone below average.

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 2:05AM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Unless the author is intentionally going to have her run out of money as a plot point, I don't think the author understands how relatively little money the MC has and how much she's spending.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I wish my school had carried books about the history of bondage...

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I sort of agree with you, but I also remember being 18 and worrying so much about university applications and then picking a school. In retrospect all those concerns seem irrelevant and I'm sure I'd have been better off choosing a school based on wherever my friends went or whatever was closest instead of going to the "best" one I could. Still, at the time, it seemed like a momentous decision. To me, Nanoha's behavior reads as a very realistic portrayal of that time in a young person's life.

I don't think it's unrealistic that she's worrying about it, I think it's unrealistic that she's -for some weird reason - rationalizing nonsensical reasons to choose a school outside of Tokyo when doing so would be a total lose/lose. There should be almost nothing any school outside of Tokyo could offer her that a school inside of it wouldn't also have, so there's no reason to even entertain the possibility of studying elsewhere in the first place.

The realistic version of this scenario is having one partner having to choose between their relationship or an education they realistically can't and won't have a second try for, usually because the school is at some unique level of quality that they can't get anywhere else if they don't take this chance, but Nanoha doesn't have that problem so the attempted set-up doesn't work here.

Although it might be time for the relationship to stop being a secret once they move together.

"What, dating? Us? Don't be ridiculous!"
"Chidori, you've been living together for 25 years and have 3 adopted children. We know."

last edited at Jul 6, 2022 11:10AM

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I stayed at my college to remain close to somebody I was in a relationship, and we broke up two years in, and my school wasn't BAD and my education wasn't terrible, but I settled, and now I get to regret that forever. So sorry, but you're completely wrong.

You should go where you want to go, not wrap your life around being geographically close to a romantic partner. If you're a seriously good fit, you'll make long distance work.

Your just projecting your own situation onto a fictional situation that's similar to yours but different.

Nanoha wants to study in Tokyo and potentially cohabit with Chidori.
There's no way there aren't any school available in Tokyo for her to apply to.
There's no way there aren't any schools that are good enough to study at in Tokyo for her to apply to.

She has the will to study in Tokyo, the means to study in Tokyo and schools are definitely available in Tokyo.

This is a no-brainer non-issue, there are no obstacles to them cohabiting while studying in Tokyo what so ever besides sheer stupidity or hubris. Every "reason" introduced for her to study elsewhere is nonsensical and therefor, forced, cheap drama.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I still predict a happy home with aprons and science babies.

Chidori comes home in a suit, finds Nanoha in a naked apron, both melt into gay puddles. The End.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

"My romantic partner isn't a good reason to choose a school so I'll go to school somewhere else if it's a better school"

Unless every confectionary school in Tokyo is hot garbage, choosing a slightly better school elsewhere just because it's slightly better when you have a REALLY good reason to want to study in Tokyo would be nothing short of moronic.

It's not like you're trying to get on Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, any decent confectionary school is totally fine and throwing your relationship away just for a slightly better school that won't really make any meaningful difference in the end would be PEAK useless lesbian, fookin' hell. I would actually quit this story if it goes in that direction, because that's exactly the cheap forced-in drama I hate in storytelling.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_story_about_doing_xx_to_girls_from_different_species_ch39#3
I keep forgetting how long Kokeshi's limbs are, and her massive yaoi hands.
With fingers like that, I see why she's so instantly populare with girls!

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

"The boobs I love belong to the girl I love!" has great "Believe in the me that believes in you" energy.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

She got over the cold but not the fever.
If you know what I mean.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Oh fuck off Japan, calling 52.6kg overweight for an adult woman. God I hope no one reads this as a serious weight-loss manga over there, they'll bloody kill themselves.

While I agree that it's probably be better to deal with a more average person, a weight in the lower 40s of kg isn't unusual for a serious, young, female, long distance runner. If they'd said she was a gymnast, if probably would have been more believable, but still not an average person for sure.

And yes, there is a disconnect between the kind of training that a long distance runner does to get there, and the kind of low calorie diet plus light exercise that this manga is using, but that doesn't mean that everything held within is bad advice.

The recipes themselves seem pretty normal for diet food.

She's not a long distance runner anymore though, and rapidly dropping to the weight-class of one without the physical exercise side of the regiment sounds superbly unhealthy, especially since it seems like they're dieting mostly through food management. (They're doing some physical exercise thankfully, but it's all pretty light weight.)

When I think about it more, the fact that she lost about 5kg in a month without seemingly doing any kind of "real" exercise slightly worries me that she may in fact be eating too little to compensate. It's of course possible that she lost the weight healthily, but I wouldn't recommend real people try to mimic her regiment expecting similar results.
(Especially since they were apparently aiming to get her down to below 49kg by now, which would definitely have been an unhealthy amount of weight loss.)

The fact that the average japanese woman's weight is 57kg really puts into perspective how misguided I think her goal of getting below 49kg is.
She doesn't seem to be smaller than anyone else in particular, and 8kg below the average person is definitely a level of difference that needs particular circumstances to be warranted, such as being a long-distance runner's or having an otherwise very active lifestyle.

She is perfectly healthy and not at all overweight at a mere 52kg, she even managed to compete with her wife gal pal in a race despite the wife gal pal being healthy and in-shape. If you're truly overweight then racing against someone who's not isn't a matter of "Oh I can still win I'll just ache in the morning," if you're carrying like 8 extra kilos on you, you would need to have proportionally stronger muscles to still be faster.

The more I analyze the details of this manga, the more I begin to question if the author of this even knows what being overweight means. Almost every part of it is screaming "tehe toxic japanese weight culture" to me, from perfectly healthy people being "overweight" to weight goals being cripplingly underweight to dramatic weight losses being considered "unsuccessful and below expectations."

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 10:22AM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Oh fuck off Japan, calling 52.6kg overweight for an adult woman. God I hope no one reads this as a serious weight-loss manga over there, they'll bloody kill themselves.

Losing 5kg in a month is... teetering on the edge of extreme. Healthy weight loss is no more than 1kg per week, but seeing as months can range between 4 and 5 weeks, she's just barely on the margin between healthy and extremely unhealthy rapid weight loss. And this was still somehow below what they were expecting?

Please, for the love of God people, do not take ANY advice from this manga.
Fuck, after looking into it, the average weight of an asian woman is literally 57kg, that's the weight she started at!

last edited at Jun 24, 2022 5:05PM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Just gals being pals and eating chocolate together!

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Kokeshi bonking someone else for being too horny?? Has the world gone mad!?

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

oh a world where an lgbtq+ crush is seen as normal by the general population, can't wait for that to be real

but seriously, these two talked it out like normal human beings?!?!? what kind of yuri sorcery is this?

It's real in some places. Not like, country sized places, but there are definitely general communities where anti-LGBTQ+ bigotry is just an extremist minority.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

RIP Nezumi, we hardly knew ye.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Oh dear Lawd she's finally become a full-fledged degenerate just like the others!

Also, tiny tit talks.
TINY. TIT. TALKS.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Personally, I really dig this translation. I wouldn't say it's "better" or "worse" just different, with a charm all its own.

last edited at May 31, 2022 5:29PM

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I liked the story, but I’m not sure how this relates to the title at all. I mean, she called her an angel at some point, but that’s pretty much the only thing I could find that was even kinda related to the title. I was thinking the yuri goddess would be helping out or something.

I think the idea is that she looks up to her as a goddess, and said goddess actively encourages her to confess to her and pursue her romantically, hence the name.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Really working on those infomercial auditions, isn't she?

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I was about to say she missed her chance to wish FOR a monster girl harem since it's her dream and all, but then I realized that she kinda already has that, doesn't she?

Life's good when you're an electric massager.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Tanned-Gyaru-Ojiou-sama Blessed combo.

Boobies.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch37#23

...Is that a pube in the top right panel? Is Haruka the first character of the series who doesn't shave?!

THIS IS GROUNDBREAKING!

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

People are defending him saying that the criticism stems simply from the fact that he's a man, when the reality is that he's acting as if he can decide for Saho, as if she owes him something for his two years of one-sided flirting. Plus, taking into account the cultural context (as a commenter described perfectly earlier), the fact that he is a man probably does play a role in this, and it's possible the situation would have played out differently if he were a woman. (Of course, given Saho's personality, it could very well have gone exactly the same, but at least there wouldn't be all this —unintentional— pressure from her environment).

I feel like you're reading the narrative backwards.
No one's saying he should get a pass on his pushiness "just because he's a man", we're saying that the cultural context explains his behaviour without intrinsically making him a bad person.

He doesn't "act like he can decide for Saho" at all, he just thinks his feelings are reciprocated because she's never been anything but positive towards him even after he's literally said outright that he wants to be her boyfriend. The fact that he's been allowed to flirt with her so explicitly for two years without getting rejected even once has simply convinced him that she is interested just hesitant about his sincerity, and consequently that what he needs to do is be as frank and direct as humanly possible. (Which is why he's so direct during the confession, he thinks that's what she wants him to do.)

Though yes, he's too touchy with her during the confession, but it's not because he's an asshole. He just misread her signals and thought they were closer than they really were.

Furthermore, no one was saying that his behaviour would've been more accepted if he was a woman in-universe, we were referring to the discussion section here on the forums. That if a woman had behaved like that to another woman, a lot of the people who are calling this man creepy would've been much more accepting of the exact same behaviour simply because it was yuri. (Which isn't a strange bias, this is a place to look for yuri after all.)

I feel that comparing the situation in this manga to the real-life situation of "pressure in the workplace for waitresses" is somewhat misguided. Everyone involved seems like good friends and I don't get the impression that the author intended for the possible pressure of being in their workplace environment to be relevant to the story or the characters' decisions.

As in, I don't think her indecisiveness in rejecting him had much really to do with feeling pressured by her workplace to not be rude to a customer. I think she was just really dense and truly didn't think he was serious with it despite the very obvious and direct approach.

last edited at May 20, 2022 6:44PM

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Also, real surprised by all the people on her defending the creepy man. Ugh.

Could be the nicest one guy on earth and people here will still manage to found something to say anyway if it's a W/W/M triangle. Honestly, it's not as creepy as people make it sound and if it was a girl, nobody would have bat an eye.

^This.