Forum › Posts by johnb

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Personally, I think Elsa Gale sounds better.

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

At first I thought the bunny had drawn a building for the local nazi group, but then I remembered that a lot of Asian countries don't have that same association with the symbol that the west does. That made a whole lot more sense.

IDK Japanese people should know exactly what it means. They were nazi Germany's allie in the war.
However I know if you draw the design with arms turned one way it's the nazi symbol, if you draw the arms the other way it's just some old religious symbol. I want to say buddhist, but don't quote me on that. The trouble is I don't remember which way is which. And I don't really want googling nazi stuff in my search history. So I'm going to be outraged by the nazi bunnies to be on the safe side.

joined Sep 1, 2017

So Hiroko Isn't just a useless lesbian, she's also kind of a cowardly scumbag.

joined Sep 1, 2017

god forbid women sign a lease >:(

It's interesting that they're bringing up same-sex couples (or at least two women) being discriminated against. In Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Miyu is looking forward to being able to move out and live with her girlfriend Matsuri in an apartment for college, under the pretext of it being safer for two women to live together. Miyu is the type to think things through and is disciplined and cautious to a fault, but she never considers having trouble getting an apartment with a female roommate.

Part of it is probably because of different expectations from everyone involved: getting an apartment at college age you're probably going for landlords who specifically rent out to college students, in which case two women living together is seen as a very safe bet comparatively. When you're out of college, I would guess you run into the same problem with landlords as many women do with employers: they expect you to find a guy and marry, and thus have a harder time, whether it's with getting a promotion (or a full-time position) or a long-term lease.

Im not sure what I find more aggravating, businesses judging women based on age old gender stereotypes, or that it probably still makes good business sense to do so.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I've got to tell ya. The whole idea of highschool girls with a wholesome obsession with lingerie is hard to wrap my mind around. I mean it's right up there with, girls with a platonic fascination with boobs.

joined Sep 1, 2017

How do these wonky nonsensical genders work again? The betas are equal to our standard genders? The Alphas are the dominant hermaphrodite genders? And the omegas are the submissive hermaphrodite genders? Is that right? Honestly I think I need some sort of visual aid, like a chart or a graph, to keep it all straight.

Beta = usually regular human. No over the top rutting/horny mode.
Omega = Submissive, throws out super pheromones alphas cannot resist. In standard omegaverse, male omega can conceive and give birth (which is why this thing came to be originally, BL impregnation).
Alpha = Competitive and territorial, goes crazy for omega pheromones. Depending on the setting, female omegas may have something akin to penis that can be used to impregnate an omega.

Are writers consistent with this stuff? Not really, everyone has their own rules.

So essentially what your saying is my crude assessment was basically right? Sigh. Oh well the story is good so far. I can pretty much pretend it's a normal yuri story as long as it leaves the whole bizarre sex anatomy in the abstract.

Me after reading the latest chapter : Damnit past me why couldn't you keep your big mouth shut?!

last edited at Jun 7, 2023 6:20PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

How do these wonky nonsensical genders work again? The betas are equal to our standard genders? The Alphas are the dominant hermaphrodite genders? And the omegas are the submissive hermaphrodite genders? Is that right? Honestly I think I need some sort of visual aid, like a chart or a graph, to keep it all straight.

Beta = usually regular human. No over the top rutting/horny mode.
Omega = Submissive, throws out super pheromones alphas cannot resist. In standard omegaverse, male omega can conceive and give birth (which is why this thing came to be originally, BL impregnation).
Alpha = Competitive and territorial, goes crazy for omega pheromones. Depending on the setting, female omegas may have something akin to penis that can be used to impregnate an omega.

Are writers consistent with this stuff? Not really, everyone has their own rules.

So essentially what your saying is my crude assessment was basically right? Sigh. Oh well the story is good so far. I can pretty much pretend it's a normal yuri story as long as it leaves the whole bizarre sex anatomy in the abstract.

last edited at Jun 7, 2023 6:19PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Damnit I wish these chapters were more that just 4 pages long.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I find het in yuri stories frustrating and hard to read. However I think in the end it makes the girls getting together that much sweeter.

Edited because I somehow left out the word together.

last edited at Jun 4, 2023 11:52AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

So a fan fav. model starts dating a guy, and her career is over?! What's the hell is wrong with super fans?! Is it that they are so delusional they actually believe the have a shot at dating her, and the appearance of a boyfriend sends reality crashing down on them, making them bitter.

joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb posted:

Seriously, is there any real possibility for Hibiki and Chihaya getting together, romantically, or is it just going to a one sided thing. I'm looking for spoilers hear. I'm not really interested in reading a long heart wrenching yuri series just to see the guy walk away with girl in the end.

The manga is ongoing. How could anyone spoil you? And besides, I think the title spells pretty clearly the guy won't walk away with the girl.

The alternative translation of the title is phrased as a question: "Boys Who Get Between Yuri Are Better Off Dead?!" (The original title ends with an exclamation mark and question mark: 「百合にはさまる男は死ねばいい!?」/ "Yuri ni Hasamaru Otoko wa Shineba Ii!?")

I would answer that question with a yes, but I don't know if the author agrees with me...

I would emphatically agree withe your yes. If I want to see the guy end up with the girl, I could read, pretty much any other genre of manga. Well except yaoi, of course.

I posted the line editorial staff's blurb about the series earlier in these comments. They should give you a better idea of the series' intentions.

Thanks that helps, like a lot.

joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb posted:

Seriously, is there any real possibility for Hibiki and Chihaya getting together, romantically, or is it just going to a one sided thing. I'm looking for spoilers hear. I'm not really interested in reading a long heart wrenching yuri series just to see the guy walk away with girl in the end.

The manga is ongoing. How could anyone spoil you? And besides, I think the title spells pretty clearly the guy won't walk away with the girl.

The alternative translation of the title is phrased as a question: "Boys Who Get Between Yuri Are Better Off Dead?!" (The original title ends with an exclamation mark and question mark: 「百合にはさまる男は死ねばいい!?」/ "Yuri ni Hasamaru Otoko wa Shineba Ii!?")

I would answer that question with a yes, but I don't know if the author agrees with me...

I would emphatically agree withe your yes. If I want to see the guy end up with the girl, I could read, pretty much any other genre of manga. Well except yaoi, of course.

last edited at May 28, 2023 4:57PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb posted:

Well if you take the title literally, and not just rhetorically, or wishful thinking on Chihaya's part, then the boy doesn't walk away at all.

In my defense I know that a lot of times people have read past what's been translated, and hav better insight into what direction a series is going.

I think I meant hyperbole not rhetorically.

last edited at May 28, 2023 4:43PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

joined Sep 1, 2017
  • Now, Carnes, listen. Listen very, very carefully... These are fictional band girls. And they are gay. I can't make this any clearer.
  • That's simply not possible. And I don't find this funny anymore.
  • It never was supposed to be. Why isn't it possible?
  • It's just not.
  • Why not, you stupid bastard?

Heh???

joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb
joined Sep 1, 2017

Oh great now we're all going to end up on the sex offender registry. Gee thanks Torajirou.

Seriously that really did make me feel a little bit like a creeper though.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Got the feeling it lacks of at least one important tag.

Maybe Bisexual?

Edit: Unless Aikawa Hibiki is one of those yuri girls who inexplicably teasing the girl she likes by blatantly flying her het flag in front of her.

I wouldn't apply the Bisexual tag yet because Hibiki shows no signs of liking Chihaya (yet)

Oh god, I hope this series doesn't turn into an unrequited love story about poor Chihaya getting constantly tortured by Hibiki rubbing her heterosexuality in Chihaya's face.
That would be torture for me too. I would hate reading the story, but I wouldn't give up on it, in a vain hope that the pair would finally get together.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Got the feeling it lacks of at least one important tag.

Maybe Bisexual?

Edit: Unless Aikawa Hibiki is one of those yuri girls who inexplicably teases the girl she likes by blatantly flying her het flag in front of her.

last edited at May 25, 2023 8:27PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Between the crazy amount of text, the microscopic writing in between the word bubbles, and the chaotic layout of the page, it was nightmare for me to read. It's like a lovecraftian tome ment to drive anyone who tries to read it, insane.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Ema blaming Ayame for the break up because she "did too much" was insane tho
And then Ayame agrees and goes "yeah blabla my ego"

What kind of backwards thinking is this, boyfriend was a pos that left all the housework on her shoulders(like many men do) and its somehow her fault it didn't work out??? What was the mangaka thinking with this bs

I didn't get the impression Ema was blaming Ayame for the break up per se. I think it was more like Ema was pointing out, how Ayame keeps going all in with loser guys, who end up using her, and throwing her aside when they get bored.

last edited at May 17, 2023 5:09PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

[SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHH] There should be a Fails to confess or a nothing happens in the end tag, to warn me this story is going to leave me frustrated and annoyed.

last edited at May 17, 2023 4:49PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Tonoki Sun : "I'm stuck in the corner. Rose is about to kill the priest, which will break Benika's heart, and ruin everything. How do I stop her from making the biggest mistake of her life".
"If I can't find a way out of this, I've have to scap this whole scene, and go back to the old story board. And I'll never make my deadline".

Sun's assistant: "sir I don't have any ideas ei..."

[cell phone rings]

Sun's assistant: "sorry sir I know I promised to shut this off while we're working, but it might be important, so I'm just going to get that".

Sun's assistant into phone: "Hello".

[indistinct talking]

Sun's assistant into phone: "So what's up"?

[long period of indistinct talking]

Sun's assistant into phone: "So you just read an article, in a writing magazine, about having the main character improbably overhear one half of a phone conversation as a convenient way for the mc to get important information just in the nick of time"?

Tonoki Sun: "I just got a great idea. Get off the phone, and let's get to work. And this time shut the damned thing off".

Sun's assistant Into phone: "Look I've got to go. Later".

[indistinct talking]

[call ends]

Edited for clarity.

last edited at May 16, 2023 1:06AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Okay I know Hiroko's density is approaching neutron star levels, but Ayaka is being pretty dense too. It's obvious that Ayaka's feminine charms are having an effect on Hiroko, but she is stoically putting up a fight to resist the.
Ayaka should realize it's time to change tactics. Instead of using the direct approach. Ayaka can play it cool. Maybe she could start a little "girl talk" and work in a story about how her last girlfriend dumped her for guy or something just to show Hiroko, they are playing for the same team.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I don't know why, but lolicons like these are easier to take if writen by a woman.