Forum › Posts by Altair

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Ahhhhh, it's so good! And it has the lines from the revue! This is the sort of post-movie content I'm dying for

The movie glosses over the changes in which schools the characters are going to from their initial surveys in the opening to where they actually end up going, practically begging for doujinshi like this to fill in the blanks

NYC theater kid college life Junna doujinshi when? She's unintentionally inserted herself into a very specific scene/culture/vibe

last edited at Aug 28, 2023 12:49PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

We have the hint of Himari's friend and her potential relationship coming up. They could be the next couple whose story we follow for a bit

I'm unironically in it to get the rug pulled out from under me again and get 40 chapters this time of a different couple

last edited at Aug 22, 2023 12:51PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Is that alcohol at the bottom of page 8 defying the laws of physics?

It's just jello

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

How did you acquire and physically scan a manga before it's release date! Very sneaky, much respect. This was a very interpretable release

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

the whole “i just like [Name of female MC] because she is [Name of Female MC] not because she is a girl” as being an cope out of the whole gay people exist in japan, weirdly even in yuri manga some author will rather avoid the whole idea of sexuality existing like being an Lesbian and Bisexual and replace it with the not realistic “love doesn’t have gender weird type of thing” to again avoid the whole sexuality idea in an manga

I blame Clamp for this. They started the whole love is whoever you happen to fall in love with trope in manga. To disastrous effect.

I have hope for this manga because this new character that showed up to drive the plot forward and cause drama might be a tired trope, but she does seem to be openly a lesbian and is hopefully here to challenge the MC's belief

And yeah, it's nice that ILTV/Inori openly calls out that bullshit.

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 1:14AM

Altair Uploader
Liberta discussion 30 Jul 11:57
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

In other news, I got around to typesetting that NEET Blood oneshot where Judas and Miko first appeared.
Not sure how best to go about submitting it to Dynasty since it predates Liberta by a fair few years and is very much a het thing (ie. it's not really suited for the /u/ scanlations credit), but you can read it over on MD: https://mangadex.org/chapter/f521ebd1-bb39-408c-b30f-3a9e997aaabc

You could upload it as anonymous or /a/ and request a het tag. It could just be included in this series or as its own oneshot

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

This could have been written in Linear B and I'd be no less confused. However, gals in futons requires no Rosetta stone.

It's fun, but yeah it assumes a lot of knowledge from the show itself and not the movie. Pretty surprising how long before the movie it came out considering the made up revue that ends up being a bit similar to the revue of hunting

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

This is the shit

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Why are we defending arranged marriages in the comments are you all fucking bricked in the head.

Your reading comprehension could use some work. The discussion has been about the difference between “arranged marriages” and “forced marriages” (which do happen, where people—almost always women—are abused and given no choice in the matter).

The terms in question are consensual arranged marriages and forced arranged marriages, which focuses the point. Because I mean sure, in a vacuum, consensual arranged marriages are ethically fine, but the implication from those against it here, I'm thinking, is that in practice they might not be so consensual from an outside perspective despite not being a blatantly forced marriage. From what i can tell, it seems that (both kinds of) arranged marriages are more common in countries with weak or no feminist movements and where women are significantly less protected under the law. I understand that marriage as a concept in such places is also totally different from my own concept of it, but I'm also under the impression that concept of it should be dismantled for the same reasons it was here.

I'm saying that I don't see multicultural respect protecting this particular institution and that in practice consensual arranged marriages are dubious at best where the women involved only may have the agency to veto their place in it. Or may not have a clue what they're getting into. I mean, take my generation, we racked up inordinate amounts of college debt because that's just what you do with no idea how it would constrain our daily lives for decades moving forward. That was all consensual, baby.

But hey, i could be wrong and the bulk of them could be 20-somethings with no interest in the dating scene. It could be that modern consensual arranged marriages are neither repressive or regressive

last edited at Jul 24, 2023 6:48PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016
99242346_p3

Yes, it's normal to get your tests returned so you know what you did wrong and can correct your mistakes. Universally normal.

This picture has big Azumanga Daioh vibes, I'd read a fic in this AU. Although, ones like this always seem to struggle between keeping it believable and working in Edie's murderous, body-snatching uncle.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Stop right there, criminal scum!

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

The vintage Touhou angst!

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Squad up

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's funny that she mentions being constrained by expectations of what she can draw when Yukiko's oneshots are anything but constrained. Maybe it's just where this series was serialized

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Spear of Longinus?

My god, it's returned to us from outer space

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016
Milfcookiesimp-1661368519441743874-img2

Whoa wow foresight top score

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's maybe a bit late to notice, but this is (probably unintentionally) a Negima clone. Fun.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Needs non-moe art tag. It's v ery 70s.

It's set in the past, but the art doesn't seem to be emulating any older styles, does it? Definitely not 70s shoujo

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

This has the bonus of creating a secondary conflict where Mitsuki will have to choose between a potential major career opportunity and Aya, which is a fairly classic dilemma.

Wasn't it already set up that Aya has no life direction either? Seems like a pretty great opportunity for both of them to get out and see the world (and to force them to define their relationship before doing so)

last edited at Jun 25, 2023 7:40PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

There's a yuri about that. It's called She Drives Me Crazy. Emphasis on the car pun and that scene. It's not bad, as far as YA novels go.

Also still a Hiroko fan through and through, not sure why other readers don't like her. Maybe they just haven't had full time jobs yet?

last edited at Jun 23, 2023 3:39PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

How dare her dream parents say that to the dazzling lead Hoshimi Junna

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I really hope that the company they work for pays for hourly overtime because otherwise Hiroko would be a massive class traitor for suggesting that Ayaka should not only do extra work for free but also enjoy doing it.

Hiroko's in the manager class, and welcome to salary in the corporate world

last edited at Jun 15, 2023 1:51PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

At the bit about cold baths in the winter making kids sick, I was like ... don't they have this thing called "fire" that's pretty good at heating water, at least a little bit?

Probably not, if their conditions are anything like real world medieval ages. Heated baths in tubs, as opposed to washing out of a basin, were for the nobility, and limited resources means fuel and hot water could go to what would seem like better uses. The other point in the chapter is that the people in this world don't have Yvonne's modern understanding of cleanliness and knowledge of what causes diseases

last edited at Jun 7, 2023 6:01PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Soulmates AU go

Altair Uploader
Tomboy discussion 05 Jun 00:52
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up, but while having short hair might be indicative of a tomboy it isn't required and is not part of the western definition of the word. It being a western concept seems to be a big part of the problem in using it to categorize Japanese media/tropes. (This might be a bit incorrect, however, seeing as two of the biggest figures in yuri, Oscar from Rose of Versailles and Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena are both long-haired tomboys.)

Anyway, should we tag tomboys with long hair, such as the alt rock girl in My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected? Is the tag meant to follow western usage (where physical traits are not required), or is it a rough equivalence meant to capture the Japanese usages listed in this thread?

A Japanese umbrella term for everything listed above, including butch, prince, and ikemen women is, as I understand it, "boyish." Examples can all be seen in the Boyish² yuri anthology.

last edited at Jun 19, 2023 2:46PM