Forum › Posts by HitsujiMary

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I see I'm not the only one who likes to reread this!

The ending always gets me <3

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

So how come aya hasn't been eaten up or killed because of what she does for a living?

Tengu society would riot, probly'. They actually care for their own, and journalism and gossip is kind of their thing.

HitsujiMary
Hina discussion 13 Sep 00:04
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

This was super soft, sweet and cuddly. I'm already invested in this ship and I don't even know what you eat an aikatsu with.

All in all, this doujin is pure love <3

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I'm pretty sure the bl bdsm nazi work is at least partially based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzai:_Falsely_Accused

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I love that this ending scene is basically a reference to another very gay fusion form and finisher, Ryuuga and Sento's Cross-Z Build form and the Love & Peace finish

(Btw if anyone is interested in tokusatsu or Kamen Rider, I heavily recommend Kamen Rider Build)

https://youtu.be/S_IUIXhdbPA?t=495

EDIT: IIRC, they even shout something like (paraphrasing) "We'll beat you because when we're together, we are the best match!!" which is a more subtle version of what happens here.

last edited at Aug 19, 2020 10:17PM

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Doesn't it seem appropiate for the genre named after a flower? :B

I challenge you to sustain this line of thought with the bara genre. :U

Absolutely, flowers are completely approiate for both the cute bodies of yuri girls and the muscly, huge bodies of bara men! I'd actually love a series of illustrations with bara men in composition with different flowers

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

The "Moon is beautiful" phrase is always a confession in my book. I've seen it used soo many times in yuri subtext works that I'm sure it's just authors code for "they gay"

Natsume Soseki.

Thanks, didn't know that. I must say the author is raising my expectations then.

From what I understand, at that time the Japanese could not use a classic "I love you", and "the moon is beautiful" sounds more poetic and romantic anyway. Maybe those who can't show their feelings directly are still using it?

Rather than "could not", it's just truly not japanese, in the sense that saying such a plain and direct phrase such as 私は君を愛する (which is roughly what some english students translated "I love you" as) will:

A - out you as a non-native speaker faster than not knowing how to use chopsticks,

B - sound super tense, forward and robotic, not really conveying the feelings behind those words,

C - make you sound a bit stupid. If you're talking to someone and it's just the two of you, it's super weird to clarify "I" and "you". In japnaese those details are usually tacit, context-deriven.

Couple this with the fact that japanese is a very poetic language, and you arive at the conclusion that subtle phrases such as "The moon is beautiful" are actually better translations of "I love you", despite sounding completely random in english. I think that phrase and anecdote are an excellent way of showing the idiosyncrasies of japanese as a language.

Japanese is very minimalistic as well, so nowadays simply saying 好きだ (verb for liking + verb "to be") is more than good enough. I think the language is also moving away from the flowery language and poetics, much like english has for the past half a century... But personally, I really like when that type of language is used for yuri stories. Doesn't it seem appropiate for the genre named after a flower? :B

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

This is a real sign of human progress right here

The fact that even this story, which seemed like it would drag on the misunderstanding ad infinitum, was able to cut it short at 9 short episodes without being cancelled or anything (let's hope), is a sign that humans are finally on track to become the homox3 sapiens, and perhaps even become worthy enough for aliens to take an interest in us.

Like many of my fellow comrades in this place, I dream of the glorious future in which we share yuri doujins with cute alien girls. Let's make it happen. Let's cut the bullshit storylines.

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I think the author has seen way too many telenovelas...?

I used to be on the "the violence isn't that bad, it's poor slapstick at most!" side, but now that I'm seeing Minami /blame herself/ for being beat up by her partner /for being insecure/? I mean, if you needed a physical release or to "make her realise what she's saying", a slight flick on the forehead would have sufficed, Iori. I get the sensation of "you idiot how can you be saying this when you know I love you??", but I'd never muster up the energy to hit someone I love when they're clearly having a vulnerable moment. I've been in Minami's place A LOT, and I'd be pretty mad to get hit, tbh. (then again, I don't completely hate myself.)

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Omg an umineko doujin

I'm SOLD

Even if this is technically a bit too OOC but STILL. You don't get to see these often. I'd, btw, completely appreciate a Shannon x Jessica doujin. (and if you think this is weird, then please read the novels/the manga!)

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

What I love about this series is that it has a very simple premise, but the pacing, plot structure and character development make it really enjoyable. If this was any other author, we'd have like 20 chapters of them going back and forth before getting to this point, and their relationship would probably be much less active.

Instead, we see two characters that have no real things in common (and that tends to be something I don't like, however) they still try their best to connect with each other, taking the initiative in their own happiness, and that's real nice.

I normally wouldn't be invested in a character like Hinako, but I am because her plight seems sincere and authentic, and I want her to gain depth as a person (beyond just taking up any of the things traditionally attributed to women that lead to marriage and kids). Also, the way she's written, being sick of putting up an act to the point she gets depressed and is unable to find joy in the things she normally would and feeling the expectations put on her as the jail they actually are, is pretty good. Satou is also nice, and the little sister is a wonderful devil.

The story feels hopeful, as well, specially if you're someone who has struggled with their identity or with change in the past. This is all around a good story and I can't wait to see its development <3

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

"Ode to ASMR Haircut vids ~ A (very cute) doujin" (?

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Thank god this is getting picked up again, it's some really good yuri <3 Keep it up! :D

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

both of the MCs, including the one who's a vocalist, don't have any interesting things to say about music at all.

Because it's less about music and more about what you define as "love". Music here is use as a set-up to the story and will take minimal place story wise. I bet the love song Yori write and will sing is what will made Himari really fall in love romantically and fall in love like she does normally.

That music is not integral to the story doesn't mean the characters can't have at least some form of connection through it. And I mean, Himari literally falls in love of Yori while singing. Your comment feels like an excuse for the characters' blandness. What I meant with my comment is that everyone has some sort of opinion about music, and the fact that two characters who share music as part of the foundation of their relationship (and the ongoing obstacle for Yori) but they can't say a single thing about it, is bad character writting. It's not only a missed opportunity to develop any character, but it just speaks volumes about how little the author has thought about his own characters.

Literally, Himari and Yori as a whole are only the "cute yuri sub" and "cool yuri dom" character archetypes. I dont think we've ever seen characters whose personalities are more defined by those traits (and those traits alone) in all of Dynasty Scans history.

And tbh, a story about what you define as "love" framed as this story is framed comes off as way too unrealistic for my taste... The only way they'd be able to change my mind is by making Himari have some sort of profound social/cognitive issue or some sort of personal trauma. A teenager who grows up without an idea of what romantic love should feel like is such a statistical anomaly that they should at least try to explain it somehow. It all just makes Himari seem like a kid who hasn't hit 10 years yet. Who knows? Perhaps the story will prove me wrong, but I feel like this is just a "**sudden confession happened to move the story forward and we need drama because otherwise the MCs will get together for reals and the story will be over, so here, padding**" kinda deal.

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I like this manga, it's heartwarming and comfy. However, I have two main problems which kinda prevent me from fully enjoying it:

1 - God, the writting can be so amateurish. One "cute" is enough, we already know what Yori is thinking when you pan to Kino's smiley face before showing Yori's embarassed face. The writting should convey information we can't derive from just looking at the panels, and honestly, those panels would just be better with no text bubbles.

2 - This is something that always pisses me off about these manga: You have a plot where bands and music are really important, and both of the MCs, including the one who's a vocalist, don't have any interesting things to say about music at all. One of my favorite shoujo stories of all time was a side story on Ouran's manga, in which a girl gets more into rock/punk/metal music after hanging out with a guy who was kinda deliquent-ish, and they bond over it. As basic as it was, that's how it works for most real people. They tend to like some music, at the very least they can mention a genre they like over others! Music isn't my life, I don't know how to play any instruments, I can only take guesses at what makes certain genres different (like, I wouldn't really know how to explain the difference between "house" and other forms of EDM, or what math rock actually is), but I'd sure as hell be able to write better interactions regarding music than these ones. I get it if the author doesn't like music (altho as an artist myself, I'd die without music to listen to while drawing...), but you could at least do the minimal amount of research. Or ask a friend, or something. Idk. It's very frustrating.

last edited at Jul 21, 2019 8:20PM

HitsujiMary
Still Sick discussion 17 Jul 23:50
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

All people have somewhat abusive behaviours. O think whats important is that Maekawa doesnt even realise the situation that she's putting Shizumu in, and that Shizumu herself hasnt put any boundaries or limits. I gotta wonder if abuse really is abuse when there's a concious consent from the other party. It feels like a hardline "no" might end up allowing for too many creepy and unhealthy situation, but a hardline "yes" would end up making things such as BDSM morally wrong. So I suppose we should go with a case by case basis. In general, "abusive behaviour" is not really descriptive either way, and pinning down what is abusive behaviour is hard too. Maekawa got mad because she cant help but feel jealous, but to her credit she doesnt stop Shizumu from approaching other people or anything of the sort. She didnt even tell her why she was mad, which is healthy in my opinion. And about guilt-tripping Shizumu into staying, idk - feels like Maekawa tried to push Shizumu away plenty of times. "Leading her on" might also not be appropiate phrasing, considering Maekawa is obviously dealing with coming out as well, and that flirt-but-not-really might be her way of literally flirting with the idea of being gay.

In real life, tbf, Id probably feel very bad for Shizumu. But since this is a romance and I know this stage is something they have to work through, I dont really mind. I suppose it might be harder to mantain immersion when you've been through abusive situations tho.

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Uh, guys? Isnt the implication that they cant really have children because of a fertility issue?

Sounded like they had unprotected sex for a while until they realised they couldnt have children.

And cmon, lol, whenever you show something it doesnt have to be a foreshadowing like chekov's gun. In this case its, imo, obviously a comparison between main girl and Akari's ex, who now has a kid. Its more thematic than anything.

Edit: re-reading the part about the kids, im a bit puzzled. Would like to see the original japanese to understand the context better tbh ;w, the "if we cant, we cant" is my hangup.

last edited at Jul 12, 2019 10:45AM

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

It really depresses me to see The Weeping Woman portrayed here...

For context,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weeping_Woman

TL;DR: This is a quote from Picasso "Dora, for me, was always a weeping woman....And it's important, because women are suffering machines". (He really was in denial about his sadism and outright hatred of women)

last edited at Jul 9, 2019 12:59AM

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Seriously guys I want a spin off of just the fairies. I love their relationship lol

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

This manga has humour, 2-page explosions, Ponymatsus and Hornymis, hilarious banters and facial expressions/reactions, and a fairy godmother dressed up like Captain Harlock.

And I'm here like,

THIS GON BE GUD

HitsujiMary
Their Story discussion 14 Dec 19:05
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

I believe that to treat a problem it is very important to understand holistically why the problem occurs. We can't answer
(1+1) without understanding what (1) is and the function of (+) and (=).

I agree, although your shorthand of comparing this to mathematics is troubling.

There is also how we want society to be and of how society is. Fact remains that (...)

And by using "dont dress up so provocatively" you are just furthering the status quo. Remember: You can't change the system without BEING the change in the system. Yes, these things will happen - but they are not justified, and they wont change if people themselves don't change.

What cultural and or biological influences allow or teach for the poor treatment of women and for behaviors such as sexual voyeurism, harassment, and rape?

The line between cultural and biological is almost non-existant. And all of those things are highly complex interactions between biology, culture and society.

Why did the guy feel that it was okay for him to take advantage of QT? It appeared less about him being interested in what she was wearing and more that a skirt opened the opportunity for the guy to take advantage. That's not saying QT wanted it since she wore a skirt, that's not shaming her, that's just acknowledging what happened and of how it was able to happen.

"that a skiet opened the opportunity for the guy to take advantage"
You are not addressing your own g'damned question. That is not "why he felt it was okay". If a person comes at you with a sign that says "shoot me" and you could do it without legal repercutions, will you feel it's okay to shoot him? Of course not, because you dont feel it's okay to violate a person's physical integrity "just because the opportunity came up".

Despite trying to appear all rational and skeptic, you really did the least effort you could there in trying to understand his motives or his morality.

Men are not these helpless, immoral creatures who see ass and feel the need to film it without someone's consent. I'll never accept this about my male friends, coworkers, my brother or any other guy I know, because it'd be disrespecting them as people.

The Park Employee wasn't trying to shame QT or claim that it was her fault. (...)

But, see, that's what she did. I'm sure she was trying to help, but QT didn't do anything stupid or out of line.

people will target you for how you are dressed. It sucks, it shouldn't be that way but it is. And in the meantime while society changes (...)

How do you not realize you are upholding the status quo with this mentality? That "thought structure" you did there - that's just you saying "Society is changing, but while it's changing, you should stop doing the thing that is making it change in the first place". It's an oxymoron, it's idiotic, it's illogical. If more people don't dress like QT, this WILL keep happening, because, just like you imply in your text post, "it is to be expected" - and people WILL justify it. You end up in a vicious cycle where you can't wear what you want without being abused, and people expect you to not wear what you want because you'll get abused.

The rest of your post just repeats that same thought structure over and over again. "it's sucks, but that's life LOL conformism, amirite guys?".

But you know, little is said when SJ sexually harasses a girl by grabbing the girl's buttocks only to blame Mophead as part of a "harassment is funny' joke and double standards. The "it's okay if it's two girls" argument is horrid.

C'*mon*, they're still kids, and they know each other, it's way less creepy. You even see her talking with mophead all shyly later. And SJ was still coming out, she was probably a bit repressed, but even if that wasn't so - at least a woman can go 1-on-1 with another woman. Not so much with men. You feel frustrated af when you can't do shit about harassment because you know you'll get the crap beaten out of you.

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

FUCK YES I LOVE THIS
TOKUSATSU X YURI
THIS IS THE BEST EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Fuck. This was too cute.
I need more chapters of this ;w;

("Subtext"? This is OVER THE WHOLE DAMN TEXT)

HitsujiMary
Marionette discussion 06 Jul 02:15
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

This story if pretty trashy...If it was done by anyone but Takemiya, regardless of art style/quality, people would be shitting all over it.
The plot twist was weird, most of the story focused on a character that was thrown away in a flash, and yes, you can flesh out characters more in a 16-page story. I appreciate kinkyness, but you dont need a soap opera-like twist to make it work.

HitsujiMary
Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

AMAZING
YURITASTIC
I loved it!
Always love me some good Merry x Renko <3
It showed up at the best time, since I need inspiration for my own yuri writting, haha!