Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I liked this chapter in some aspects, but the tropes slightly took me out of it. I can't even begin to count the number of romance stories I've read where a rainstorm triggers them sheltering in one character's house, which is followed by bathing drama. Then the author combined in the ever-prevalent "character faints in bathtub" trope, which has always been a strange one (clearly the Japanese all bathe in temperatures at the edge of human endurance).

You have to remember that manga Japanese are a very delicate bunch. Consider what happens when they catch a cold!

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

If we're going to talk about what's REASONABLE, that would be quit the job and go job-hunting. Ideally ignore the CEO's kid and put everything about the place behind you, but if you run out of money, fine, go with her weird thing until you get on your feet--at least it's not viciously unethical.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Nah, Miss me with this nonsense, I dropped at the middle of chapter 2... with such a surprise opening I had good expectations but I LOATHE lies and manipulation like that as the driving point for an entire manga! A shit mother, a shit boss in a shit company and you're going to get dragged in the floor for them? I don't want to see a slave.

Maybe at the end of ch2 or possible in the next chapter everything changes but for now I feel really disgusted to the point I can't go on, so yeah... not my thing, I'm so disappointed it went this way.

Yeah, I also stopped at mid chapter 2, and thought "This seems like something I'd hate, and kind of really stupid. Maybe the comments will say something about it picking up after that?"
Not as far as I can tell. I'm out of here.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

AAAaaaawwwwww!!!!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It actually weirds me out when I see the name "Mahiru" and it turns out not to be half of Mahi-Mahi.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

OK, this is obviously a setting where the theme is all-important, so it feels churlish to talk about realism, but at this point I just can't look away from questions like, why are they just sending pairs of young teenage girls into the city to find their own, um, blood donors when vampire hunters are a thing? Even if they're supposed to learn how to do this stuff, shouldn't there be older, experienced, heavily armed vampires on overwatch?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You know, I wasn't expecting to like this much. I mean, the whole tired isekai/game thing and all. But it's really quite well done.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Why do I feel like it's going to be yuribait after read chap 5.5?

I don't know. Frankly, that one line about where she'd want to sit kind of blows that concept out of the water for me.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh great a wild jackass that can't take a hint and is miserable to work with has appeared.

Welcome to the countryside, where tons of jobs are handed out due to nepotism. :/

And that's different from the city, is it?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Gotta say I thought it was pretty funny that Virgo told on HERSELF for breaking the rules.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Cute little kid BTW.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I think supportive smooches would also be good. Just saying.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Did she say she wants milk tea, with pudding, and . . . cheese?!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Definitely a fair and relevant question.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Does make me wonder if you can change sisters. I can’t imagine they would force you to stay with someone if you don’t get along.

You can't imagine that? In a Catholic school? In JAPAN?!
If you make a mistake you will stick it out and follow it through to the bitter end because that is tradition and admitting there was a mistake would be embarrassing!

Purple Library Guy
Ikoku Nikki discussion 09 Mar 16:34
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Aside from the clever narrative devices, I just love the way the conversation, although it kind of has a point, also just really feels like a conversation--one of those pretty awesome ones between smart people who are pretty comfortable with each other, with lots of clever off-the-wall comments and stuff.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I kinda don't like this whole rebellion thing being caused by some random third party and not, y'know, an organic result of a genuine class conscious taking form.

don't look up what happened in russia from 1917 to 1922

Ofercrissakes, like the Russian revolution was the only example of class struggle in history. Here's a clue: Unless you're very very rich, nearly every good thing you have, you have because of successful class struggle. Less than a 12 hour day? Class struggle. The weekend? Class struggle. Wages good enough to let you afford whatever you're using to post stuff on the interwebs? Class struggle. The vote? Class struggle. Look up the history of trade unions, or the Chartist movement, sometime.
Of course a lot of the good stuff class struggle got us has been getting taken away lately . . . because of class warfare from the other direction.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I kinda don't like this whole rebellion thing being caused by some random third party and not, y'know, an organic result of a genuine class conscious taking form.

Yeah, but I wasn't expecting that so I'm not very disappointed.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have a hard time trying to understand romantic l love. So, on one hand, sure is refreshing seeing this kind of plot and terminologies being used in media; on the other hand, I'd be kinda disappointed if it turns out like the "ooops, I just didn't know I was in love with you before" kind of situation.

Well, brace yourself for disappointment. This is a genre story, and the genre is "romance". So they WILL fall for each other, the only question is how the process will work. As I've said before, in romance stories even the robots fall in love.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Thing about zodiac stuff is, every sign has enough attributes defined broadly enough that, if you approach it open-mindedly, you can find yourself in any of them. So like, I'm a Virgo, and Virgos are supposed to be tidy and finicky, and I'm a slob . . . but if I feel like fitting into it I can look at my tendency to be picky about grammar, or organize books carefully, or check over things I've written to avoid mistakes, and say there! A fit!
But I could totally do the same for various attributes of other signs.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Mmmmm, wild boar. I'll tell ya, the best meal I ever had in my life was wild boar in a red wine sauce with bacon and, I believe, wild mushrooms. God it was yummy. Seems like a good recipe, too. Wild boar, check. Wine, check, although I'd use red, but it doesn't matter that much. Making the reduction in the pan you browned the meat in so you don't lose all that delicious browned meat flavour, check. Onion, check.

Not totally sure if I'm into the balsamic vinegar with boar--don't get me wrong, I love balsamic vinegar and would use it for a lot of things, but wild boar? I dunno. But it might work. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. All in all, this chapter's food seems like a winner.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Virgo seems so quiet and unassuming until you mess with the fitness of things. There shall be no untidy spoilers! Things will happen in their correct order!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well. Creepy psychological, fine. Mini-twist at the end. But somehow . . . and maybe it's not so much this particular one, maybe I've just realized something about how I feel about this kind of schtick in general . . . but it didn't have impact, because I found myself thinking "This is facile, I don't think real damaged people think like this, I don't think this particular kind of creepy reflects anyone's real psychology".

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 1:01PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I cannot help but admire Hinako's earnest wish for death.

I can. Get a grip, girl. Your parents would want you to live. You've got a friend who would give her tails to help you live. You'll never forget your family, you'll always mourn them, but there's plenty worth living for and your family would want you to find it.

When you’re in the hole like she is, that’s only going to come off as platitudes, unfortunately. Convincing someone in that headspace of a nebulous “something” worth staying miserable for is a hard sell

Indeed. Having been in that hole I concur hearing "there's so much to live for" feels like an insult. It's like saying to a blind person "there's so many wonderful things to see in this world." We cannot see those things when in that state.

Never suggested I'd be able to convince her to change her mind. What I said was I don't ADMIRE her suicidal fixation.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh, come on, girl! She just saved your shaved ice and now she's gonna drop it again!