Forum › Posts by Zormau

joined Aug 29, 2019
  1. Aren't shark fin foods horrifically unethical? Isn't that a whole thing, that asian fishers just capture sharks, cut off their fins then throw the poor fuckers back in the ocean to die because they can't swim anymore? Kinda weird for such a light-hearted manga to show in a positive light.

That practice is so stupid, because IIRC shark (meat) is actually quite tasty in its own right. Only ever eaten Shark meat once (kinda rare to find it), but it did strike me as delicious.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Can someone explain to me why the short girl was like,,,, having a moment with the piggy back ride there. I'm kind of confused.

I guess tall girl's spine is rather prominent and exerted some pressure on... places. Hence also her pulling short girl against it. She's mean like that.
I'd put that one down as Manga Logic.

joined Aug 29, 2019

The absolute smug on her face.

That entire page was just divine, yeah.

last edited at Dec 16, 2021 8:00PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Is it okay to say that that X-Ray in the central top panel really clicked with me?

last edited at Dec 16, 2021 7:56PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Yaaaay, I finally get to play the Final Fantasy VII Remake on PC, because I don't own a PS4/5 (don't want one either) and couldn't get my ass up after putting it down to let my wife play it first when we borrowed one (game included) from a friend last year.
But holy F, 80€ for a PC game that's a year late is rough, as is the 98GB download.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Wow, but isnt 40 low in japanese exams? They can pass with low score?

To my knowledge, 40 is pretty much the lowest passing grade I've seen in any test, regardless of country. It was mostly 50% in college in Germany, but some tests were 40%, while others were even 60%. Since University education tries to have at least some global standard and comparability, I'd say 40% to pass does sometimes happen.

Zormau
Lily System discussion 15 Dec 19:41
joined Aug 29, 2019

Ok now it's not only just breathtakingly beautiful anymore, but also just too cute.

Zormau
Fake sweets discussion 15 Dec 19:39
joined Aug 29, 2019

That credit page tho, right on the money, so much so that it hurts in my kokoro.

Knight Heron does not pull any punches.

last edited at Dec 15, 2021 7:39PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

There was a point at which I feared there wouldn't be a payoff, but there kinda was in the end, so... wholesome enough?

Zormau
joined Aug 29, 2019

And there's still so much to unpack, we should see this one go well beyond 120 chapters, probably over 150 if it doesn't get the axe.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Yuna seems to care more about Elsa than the teachers at my school care about the students

It's a fantasy setting, it has the license to be unrealistic :p

joined Aug 29, 2019

So that was miko hmm, she who saved the protagonist.

I wouldn't count on it. That's, as far as I could see, neither implied nor outright said.
On the contrary, there are hints that, as mentioned by someone else, Shiori might have been the one who, on a whim or for some other reason, saved Hinako. See for example how strongly Shiori reminds Hinako of the ocean on this particular night in this chapter.

Zormau
joined Aug 29, 2019

It's been theorized that they're dead, but there's no hard evidence of it. There's a scene in chapter 45 that hints at it, as put (in no uncertain terms) forth here.

joined Aug 29, 2019

it very much feels like he's acting out the role of a "saviour" or "hero" with no actual sincerity behind it. He makes a show of protecting her, while making sure through the choice of his words that everyone understands she's beneath them.

I absolutely had the opposite reaction—I thought the guy was being a grandstanding asshole who was basically aligned with the rest of the class as far as his attitude about homosexuality, only trying to make himself look good by defending the “outcast.”

I think those are perfectly reasonable readings.

Zormau
Lily System discussion 14 Dec 17:02
joined Aug 29, 2019

Talk about a barn find...

joined Aug 29, 2019

Seeing some people say this is unrealistic and then some people stick up for the guy is incredible! and no, I don't think she should've sit down and "explain" to the whole class her situation, and I HIGHLY doubt they would listen, she would've ended in the director's office anyway but instead of hitting her classmate, they would say she abused her "friend", her parents would react the exact same way too, clearly they already made their choice, she's the odd one out, the enemy of their "normal" days.

It's really sad how superficial most relationships can be when you're young in the face of real troubles.

I'm really glad this was translated, I love it so far, but as others have said already... I hope she gets her original hairstyle back lo/

Yeah, it was a hard "no win" situation for her, and one that she could not really have seen coming.

As for sticking up for the guy: it's generally prudent to assume ignorance or incompetence before malicious intent (at least with people in real life). Both may be perceived as offensive, but the response to them should differ.

On another note, and please no one take this the wrong way, is it just me or were there some odd linguistic aspects to the first chapter? The use of an article in front of "the LGBT" struck me as odd. I can't recall ever reading it with an article (unless followed by something like "community").
The guy mentioned earlier phrasing it as her being pitiful was also an odd one. I take it at least the latter is "as close as can be" to the original's meaning, including the baffling negativity of "pitiful"? At least until her reaction, I had assumed that it was a slightly awkward translation rather than the classmate being utterly tactless.

Also, do psychiatrists still actually offer "treatment" for homosexuals? As someone who spent a few years studying psychology in university (a rather progressive bubble), that always strikes me as utterly outdated. Then again, they probably took her to some old-timey backwater shrink whose education happened in the '70s or so.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Way to jump to conclusions.

While Mr. White Knight's choice of words, describing her as pitiful, was very poor (insert Joker from The Dark Knight meme here), he wasn't necessarily referring to her being a lesbian, but probably to her being ostracized and bullied – in other words: her suffering.

Honestly, in this case, no. Considering that he's addressing the bullies, the way I see it, the argument is clearly not that she's pitiful because she's being bullied by them, but that the reason they shouldn't bully her is because "she's so pitiful" - and the one thing that makes her so pitiful in the eyes of the bigots where she lives, including her family, is her being gay.

Not saying you're wrong, but the ad hominem (which is why I included that part in the post in the first place) was uncalled for.

last edited at Dec 14, 2021 2:18PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

I am still rooting for Shiori.
I like these heartless villains, who cares about good souled people, heartless people are ruling the world. >:)

On a serious note, I need more background of Shiori.

Some background for Shiori would indeed be nice, but if presented right now it would turn into an overly dramatic "tragic backstory showdown" between Shiori and Miko. "So you think YOUR backstory is good and tragic? Get a load of MY tragic backstory! I'll one-up you easily!"

joined Aug 29, 2019

To be fair, the MC is a bit of wacko for just knocking out someone for saying they were pitiful, when they were in an objectively pitiful situation, that they knew was pitiful.

Hard to feel bad for them.

And I don't see the potential here, just feels like generic fetish art with a rushed story.

If being a lesbian is "objectively pitiful" in your opinion, why are you even on this site?

Way to jump to conclusions.

While Mr. White Knight's choice of words, describing her as pitiful, was very poor (insert Joker from The Dark Knight meme here), he wasn't necessarily referring to her being a lesbian, but probably to her being ostracized and bullied – in other words: her suffering.
Whether he was doing it to actually intervene in the bullying (there are usually rather high-status defenders in a bullying dynamic that can and will take measures to somewhat shield the victim) or just wanted to pad his own ego remains unknown. It's hard to tell from that little snapshot, the exposition happened rather quickly, from what I remember it usually takes a bit longer for a bullying dynamic to establish and solidify. It works as a narrative setup, but could have been handled better. Having it spread out over more than a day or even told via flashback (as suggested previously) might have worked better.
Her reaction wasn't technically appropriate, but completely makes sense in context. I mean, the one time I started a smackdown in school was also just a misunderstanding during which I split the other guy's lip and he knocked me out. Not my proudest moment, and I'm pretty sure she'll eventually think the same way about it, even if it "made sense" in the situation.

Yikes, once again I am reminded of how blessed I was in some regards. I'm pretty sure my parents would not have minded me being gay, seeing as mom's a lecturer on gender studies and all... For a time I thought I was gay when I was fooling around with a bestie of mine (bi-curious would probably describe it best) and even told one of my classmates, who, probably fortunately, didn't tell anyone else. Even so, probably wouldn't have changed all that much, I was already the designated bullying victim at the time ;)
Looking back, it's kinda striking that there was no a single openly gay student at my school, though actually, most students' sexuality was more assumed than known – how could you really tell with single people? I think two of my friends were, but they never came out and I lost track of them since, and one pretty popular teacher was also known to be gay.
LGBT issues were a very minor part of sex ed in 2000s Germany. They were mentioned, but I don't think they played a major role in the curriculum.

And what's with that obscene hourly wage? That's more than I normally make (before tax) in a month, nearly twice what my wife makes in a month. I get it, working efficiently and being lazy as a freelancer can increase your hourly wage, but 530k Yen per hour? That's soccer player amounts of pay.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I've re-read this for, like, the seventh time now and the bottom left panel on page 21 still sent me. As did page 28's midsection, though just slightly less so.
My favorite oneshot.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Inb4 Shiori jumped in to save Hinako and gets eaten instead.

Honestly, any character besides Miko dying at this point would feel off to me. Either they all live or Miko dies right now. Can't have four chapters without Hinako, can't have four chapters without Shiori. Four chapters without Miko seems more realistic to me, but there's probably a better way.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Wait, ELSA doesn't realize why Yvonne is blushing? Isn't she actively trying to get Yvonne to fall in love with her?

Yeah, I'm just as surprised as you :D
Maybe she's also surprised that Yvonne is even aware of the situation while she herself had settled for fully savoring it?

joined Aug 29, 2019

Curious that there's so little talk about this one. I guess it may be because it's quite a bit ahead on Mangadex?

My battlecry in online games is usually "I like cats."
What can I say, I like cats, so I fully endorse this chapter.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Imagine the two monsters are together and they both just eat the main girl

Not yet, Shiori won't lay a finger on Hinako until she really wants to keep living, and I don't think Miko's confession has achieved that quite yet.

joined Aug 29, 2019

That twist infuriated me ngl

Yeah I’m gonna be pretty mad if Miko really does try to eat her after all this, I don’t wanna see Shiori be the one to save Hinako here

I hope she actually turns back into a human and the bite turns into a kiss/hickey

It's certainly a manga where you should always doubt that what we believe to see/hear is what's actually going on.
I'm looking very much forward to how this continues.

Also note that, while we might see Shiori as being deliberately dismissive of Miko being actually benevolent so that she can get rid of her without scarring Hinako too much, she never fully transformed into a human during the entire chapter. Her left arm (mostly hidden) always remained in monster shape, before and after we're shown it. Could be that she was actually not trusting Miko's words or that she was just really looking for a chance to off her.
Also that gash on her cheek is still there, so I guess she can't easily regenerate wounds inflicted by a fox spirit?