Forum › Posts by OrangePekoe

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

YuriPanda posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/20337-after-school-mate-discussion?page=5

Kinda derailed to start being pages long paragraphs about wierd theroies about trans people, what causes "trans" and what they need to feel and what surgoeries they need to really count as their gender.

dont know if rule breaking but it's hard to talk about the manga there and feels wierd.

Thanks for posting. Sorry it took a while. I've cleaned the thread. Rules 9 and 11 certainly applied to a good portion of those comments.

as its the secong time, maybe a offtopic forum post with links to wikipedia or orther sites about trans topics can be made, so if anyone has actual questions, they can go there and people dont write "trust me bro"-essays about weird trans-theories.

I could make it/provide a bunch of wiki/youtube and other links myself.

It's probably more like the hundredth. I'm not sure how I (or others) feel about Dynasty-curated educational content at the moment. The suggestion does appear to be worth thinking about more deeply though. If you wish to pursue either of those on your own time I won't stop you, but I can't offer any guarantee they will amount to much on our end.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Mod Note

Deleted a swath of comments with little relevance to the manga. Banned the obviously transphobic commenter. This thread is for the manga After School Mate. Manga threads generally aren't the most appropriate place for long discussions about the essence of transness. Thanks.

OrangePekoe Admin
Anime season 02 Feb 21:19
joined Mar 20, 2013

dist4nt dre4mer posted:

Anyway, what I wanted to talk to you about is not really anime and I hope you don't mind me dropping here to recommend a, I'd say, must watch show (fans are currently fighting "Holy war" on Twitter for a 3d season). Maybe some of you have watched it, Warrior Nun. Give it a chance if you have time, 2 seasons are out (Netflix canceled the 3d, therefore the fight), I promise many of you won't regret it and will fall in love with the story, characters and production. Also, come join us on Twitter and help us #SaveWarriorNun

Hey, thanks for posting this. Watched it while recovering from various winter illnesses, and it's shockingly decent, especially with a title like that. Shame it got Netflix'd, it's so tough to find decent GL with action that actually complements it.

OrangePekoe Admin
YuuLily discussion 02 Feb 16:13
joined Mar 20, 2013

Mod Note

Yeah, better late than never. Disregarding the earliest iteration of the tags on this doujin, we're happy with them as they stand now*, and have no current intention to add new tags or change the general ethos for tagging such works in the future. Given the nature of the thread, there is neither any intention to delete posts already made. However, this is not the appropriate place for strong tag discussions. I'd ask that any further thoughts on that issue be made in the Help thread. Thanks.

*Tags at time of posting: Age gap Lily x Yuugiri Lolicon Lots of sex NSFW Transgender Yuri Zombies

OrangePekoe Admin
Deleting an account 02 Feb 13:46
joined Mar 20, 2013

Finally got to these outstanding requests. Take care, everyone.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

konpelto posted:

anything that has a "Het" tag in """"""Yuri""""""" manga, it always never ends with the two main women together. so that should always be a red flag lol what a shit ending. nanami got what she wanted, sleep with a woman and marry the man.

"Please look forward to Akiyama Haru's next work!"

yeah I don't think i will. blacklisting that author next time

Your post history is filled with biphobic comments like this one. You've already been warned once. I don't see much value in posts like these, so you've been removed from the forums. Take care.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

juanelric posted:

Maybe that'd apply to too many images/mangas to warrant a tag, but could there be a cunnilingus/oral sex tag?

Considered.

jq- posted:

I want to suggest "Festival" as a tag, for both school cultural/sports festivals and other festivals~

see: 1, 2, 3

also in that line of thought, maybe "Yukata" as well? maybe that overlaps because it tends to coexist with summer festivals.......but could be useful for images? (but I know less about tagging in that world.....)

So, this was suggested by someone else a few months back (sorry, person, I can't find your post!). Upon revisiting it recently my question was: Is it desirable to have a tag whose primary use (I'm assuming!) will be to mark individual chapters within long series? It's been requested at least twice, so perhaps the answer to my question is redundant? I'm still thinking about it, though.

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 10:55PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013
Daydreambonsai-1598419973848039424-img1

All bets are off. All options are on the table...

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yoo aces are winning.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

If we had a tag suggestion from a while back in the previous thread, should we repost it here for clarity? Or would that just muddy things and make things confusing

I should have it all logged, but no complaints if you want to post it again!

Add Erena x Madoka as an alternative name please
https://dynasty-scans.com/pairings/elena_x_madoka

Done.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Mr. Zilla posted:

Virgin's Empire does this a decent amount in the last few years I think. Should that have the tag too?

I'm actually going to be catching up on all the recent chapters (since 2020) in the near future, so I'll keep it in mind, then!

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Retiring this thread. Please refer to the new thread from here on. Thanks.

Also, thanks to everyone for their suggestions on the Public Transportation tag! There were a lot of good suggestions on Discord, too. I added visible aliases for the ones I felt were nearest neighbours, and invisible aliases for a bunch of the others (couldn't do them all though, sorry!).

Mr. Zilla posted:

How about a Partial Color tag?

Made a response to this in the new FAQ thread here.

juanelric posted:

Could there be an inverted nipples tag? I can only think of three examples though.
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/17944
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/23488
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/22003

Edit: A fourth one:
https://dynasty-scans.com/images/25061

It turned into a big list. I'll think about it, as I guess there are a few fetish-y tags that will be added (mostly for images) sooner or later).

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

To the person who emailed me about an armpits tag - I'm terribly sorry, I seem to have lost your email! I think it's possible that we will add one soon though, as there was some silly timing stuff behind-the-scenes right before your mail!

Mr. Zilla posted:

How about a Partial Color tag?

So, I didn't go with quite your definition here, opting instead to just aim for any colours present besides black and white. However, my thinking here is to cast a wide net and then decide afterwards how to handle the different types. Ideally, there would be a Partial color tag and a Duotone tag to capture each phenomenon separately from the other, but I'm not yet convinced there's enough material to justify two tags for that. So, we'll see where it lands in a few weeks!

Here are some of the tags I'm looking at for the next update, and thoughts I'm having as I do my research. Would be happy to entertain any thoughts anyone else is having about them:

Dubious Consent - Not quite sure where to draw the lines with this one, interested in seeing examples of how other sites institute it, if any folks have specific examples they like.
Mistaken Gender - (Here are a few examples where it's central to the plot, which I imagine was the idea.) A problem arises that this may have way too much crossover with Cross-dressing to justify. I don't read too many of those stories, though, so I'm not sure if that's often a major role in them...
Asexual spectrum - Looking for examples of what might fit this, and an easily understood name. The tag should cover characters who are explicitly not interested in sex or romance (or; not and!).

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

November 29th Update

New FAQ Thread

The entire first page is now reserved for any notable posts that we'd prefer to be more easily linked. Also made a couple additions.

-Created a separate post to highlight current Dynasty Staff members.
-Series status tags are now codified here and should be linked anytime descriptions of those tags are desired.
-Moved the Chinese Yuri FAQ to much higher visibility by splitting it into multiple posts. Previously, a Google Doc was left in the FAQ, but I'm not even sure folks noticed that!

Updated the Userscripts thread formatting

For easier linking.

Added the following tags

Insane Amounts of Title - September 27th, 2022
Coming out - November 3rd, 2022
Self-harm - November 21st, 2022
Escape Room - November 25th, 2022
Villainess - November 25th, 2022
Public Transportation - November 25th, 2022
Partial color - November 28th, 2022

The tag descriptions are readily accessible from their respective pages. Thanks for the many suggestions and thanks in advance to anyone who helps us add backlog titles to these!

Added a bunch of Manga Time Kirara Issues to the database

Many thanks to Haxton Fale of Bunny Scans for taking this on and sharing it with us!

Removed a bunch of test & (bug) duplicated chapters

If you're tracking anything on the site in relation to chapter numbers, you might've seen the number go down! This is why. For the average user, nothing has changed. It's just housekeeping.

Next time

Filtering through works with no artist or scanlator entry and rectifying inconsistencies where possible.
Bunch of new tags.
Pairing tags for Yuru Yuri.

Couple things I'm tossing in a separate post for discussion.

last edited at Nov 30, 2022 7:42PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

What are some yuri-related Chinese terms?

• 百合 (bǎihé, “lily”): A direct reading in Mandarin Chinese of the Japanese kanji for yuri, with the same literal and extended meanings (lily/depictions of romance between women).
  • 橘味/橘氣 (jú wèi/jú qì, “tangerine/orange taste/atmosphere/vibes”): Synonym of 百合’s extended meaning - its origin is from the Japanese manga series Citrus, which was subtitled ~柑橘味香氣~ in Chinese ("~the sweet fragrance of tangerines/oranges~").
  • 橘外人 (jú wàirén, “tangerine outsider”): A third-wheel or someone not part of the main relationship depicted in a yuri work.
  • 大橘已定 (dà jú yǐ dìng, “the whole tangerine is settled”): A pun on 大局已定 “the whole situation is settled/the outcome is a forgone conclusion”, referring to a situation where a yuri relationship in a work is clearly going to happen.
  • 橘势不妙/橘势大好/橘势动荡 (jú shì bù miào/jú shì dàhǎo/jú shì dòngdàng, “the tangerine situation is not great/excellent/uncertain”): All puns on the word 局势 “the situation/state of affairs”, referring to the chances of yuri developing in a work.
  • 姐姐 (jiějiě, “older sister/girl slightly older than you in the same generation”): An intimate way to refer to another girl, and it can be flirtatious. It is not necessarily used to mean biological sister.
  • gg: Short for “girl/girl”.
  • GL: Short for “girls’ love”.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 12:53AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

What about the cases of Mo Xiang Tong Xiu’s works and Tamen de Gushi?

The works of Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (墨香铜臭, also known as “MXTX”) and Tan Jiu’s Tamen de Gushi (她们的故事, “Their Story”) are two of the best well-known queer Chinese-language works, focusing on BL and GL romances, respectively. Both have encountered difficulties in their adaptations that illustrate the complexities of publishing in China.

Circumstantial evidence does point to MXTX potentially having encountered serious legal trouble (once again, under illegal publishing and obscenity laws) and in any case, her situation is very murky and she has not been heard from in some while.

The case of Tan Jiu and Tamen de Gushi is also a little murky due to limited information.

To start, Tamen de Gushi originated as an online webcomic with sporadic updates, and to date has never been officially serialized*. Chapters up to 141 were collected in a volume in late 2015, published by the Zhejiang People's Fine Arts Publishing House, alongside Guangzhou Tianwen Kadokawa, a subsidiary of Kadokawa Japan. The publisher Zhejiang People's Fine Arts Publishing House is state-owned and is also responsible for publishing manga series like One Piece and Demon Slayer in China.

In January 2018, Tan Jiu posted to her Weibo saying that the second print volume of the series had been indefinitely postponed due to her publisher** requesting the removal and censorship of several romantic scenes between the two female leads. No specific explanation was given as to why. This was after the initial publication was delayed in 2017 due to sensitivities surrounding the 19th National Congress. (Translations of the Weibo post were found here and here.)

*The closest it got to being serialized was being uploaded as an exclusive here, to Acqq/Tencent, in January 2018.

**Presumably Zhejiang People's Fine Arts Publishing House, as Kadokawa Japan released a Japanese tankobon of the series earlier this year.

Over the years, two common claims have been frequently made about Tamen de Gushi. The first claim is that the series has experienced less story progression and gay content, with either the Chinese government directly censoring Tan Jiu’s work, or Tan Jiu herself purposefully self-censoring to have better chances for publishing her future work.

The belief that the Chinese government was directly and specifically interfering with Tamen de Gushi is utter nonsense, with there being no evidence of direct interference–be it through online censorship or legal consequences. As well, the idea that Tan Jiu is intentionally censoring herself seems like baseless speculation. In the initial post announcing the volume cancellation, Tan Jiu expressed strong opposition to censoring her hard work, and her Weibo and Twitter still continue to feature intimate artwork of the two leads. Furthermore, it has been four years since volume 2 was canceled, and Tan Jiu appears not to have attempted to have Tamen de Gushi published in Chinese print since. It appears highly unlikely that the artist would go against prior belief to “censor” herself for something that she has not outwardly expressed interest in.

The second common claim is that Tamen de Gushi has slowed in terms of update schedule, again often blaming “Chinese censorship” in general. The update schedule has indeed slowed since 2018, which may well be a result of losing the print revenue stream, and making Tan Jiu lose motivation. This writer proposes that this may have made Tan Jiu re-evaluate how she saw her work, and change it from something more dedicated to a side-project with slower updates, and from having a consistent plot to being more random fluff.

TL;DR: When it came to selling print volumes of Tamen de Gushi, Tanjiu was given the ultimatum, by her publisher, of censoring certain romantic scenes in that print version or having the comic not be published entirely. She chose the latter. The original webcomic should not have been directly impacted by this, nor is there any evidence she ever encountered other forms of censorship when creating Tamen de Gushi.

Over the years, this case has been blown wildly out of proportion, and baseless speculation has abounded. Anything along the lines of "the CCP was literally sending her death threats and told her she couldn't make any more gay chapters and is threatening to send her to prison gaiz!!!" is not rooted in any fact whatsoever. Though Tan Jiu was indeed blocked from publishing her works in print uncensored, and suffered from being unable to profit off of her series, she appears not to have faced direct repercussions, and continues directly posting sapphic content on her Weibo and Twitter to this day.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 12:54AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Are creators of yuri manhua in legal danger in China?

The chances are almost nil, since creating queer content is not illegal (see above). Creators are never at risk for creating gay content by itself, though writing/depicting explicitly depicted content is more risky when it comes to obscenity laws. For the vast majority, the worst that could happen is that you'll have to scroll down 20 pictures of memes before reaching the good parts. If you've ever read about BL authors being allegedly jailed for simply writing BL, it's generally not true.

There’s an ocean of BL material written in Chinese and perhaps thousands of authors creating it, but very few official charges brought under the illegal publishing and obscenity laws (Section 9), including in 2017 (the “Shenhai Case”) and 2018 (the “Tianyi Case”). The writers of this FAQ are not aware of any criminal case in China having involved a yuri/GL author. The legal situation results in queer manhua generally remaining pretty “tame” in romantic depictions.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

How does yuri manhua exist given China’s censorship laws? Isn’t it illegal?

Of course, censorship is everywhere in Chinese media and the internet in China - both overt (governmental/institutional limitations) and subtle (self-censoring), and it has become tighter in recent years. But yuri (and queer) content is not illegal and not banned, and for the most part overt censorship only affects "mainstream" stuff like published books and TV series. But even then it just removes the explicit and steamy parts; gay content is still retained. A common misconception of people unfamiliar with China is that there is a single governmental censorship bureau that checks everything - there isn’t one for manhua by itself, and any censorship that an author encounters is far more likely to be encountered at the level of the publisher or editor, rather than at a governmental level. Governmental censors themselves (like those at the party’s Publicity Department) tend to focus their censorship and control on affairs relevant to the state or that may pose challenges to its governance.

Yuri and queer manhua exist (and are popular!) both serialized and self-published on official/corporate platforms like Bilibili/Kuaikan as well as more informal platforms, like Weibo.

Published examples include:

Chinese-language translations of popular Japanese yuri manga, like Bloom Into You, Adachi and Shimamura, and Citrus, are also readily available on both official and unofficial comics sites in China.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 12:55AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

(Special thanks to IcePhoenix, Luna, and Paint for creating this and sharing it with us!)

FAQs about Chinese Yuri (Baihe) Manhua

(A collaborative document between various Baihe scanlators)

Is it illegal to be gay/lesbian in China?

No, it is not illegal to be gay in China, though there is no overt governmental support for LGBT couples in the form of marriage/adoption rights, much like in most of Asia. Some have described the government’s stance on LGBT issues as the “Three No’s”: no approval; no disapproval; and no promotion (不支持,不反对,不提倡). On the other hand, in fact, there appears to be substantial support for same-sex marriage among many Chinese, especially those living in urban centers, though pervasive societal discrimination still exists and LGBT societies’ affiliation with the broader international movements can be seen as suspicious. Nevertheless, there continue to be activists advocating and pushing for reforms to the legal code in support of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights more broadly.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 12:54AM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Reserved.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Reserved.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013