Forum › Posts by smellsliketeenspirit

Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Chapter 16 was a wholesome chapter, and I am so happy to see more direct interactions between Mitsuki and Aya. I am wondering what the next turning point chapter will be following Chapter 15, now that her male classmate realizes Mitsuki is both the CD Shop employee and his classmate. It's going to be a slow burn for Aya to realize Mitsuki's real identity.

joined May 29, 2022

Super cute chapter - and now we know that Aya has two younger brothers (and that she looks really cool in a kimono)

I thought it was one brother and one sister (has a bead hair tie on the bangs).

joined May 29, 2022

Extra cool, extra cute...

joined May 29, 2022

I clicked on the comments to see discussion about the cute story. I got 3 pages of (wanabe) thesis instead.

Seriously lol, sometimes I don't know why I even bother clicking on the discussion page button.

For science. It's a known phenomenon that any thread on Dynasty can and will at some point evolve into scientific discussion. Even the image comments. ;)

Seriously! A while back, there was a poster who was using feminist theory to augment their extensive argument on gender presentation in this manga, and I was thoroughly impressed. Not what I was expecting at all.

last edited at Aug 2, 2022 12:35PM

joined May 29, 2022

It's amazing to see Sumiko's popularity rise on Twitter. She just passed 400k followers!

joined May 29, 2022

Gotta say, them liking Aerosmith really took me outa it with this chapter lol. Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and foo fighters I could get behind and believe that alt teenage girls would like but with Aerosmith it now kinda feels like the author is just throwing in all these old bands in with no rhyme or reason. Like just because they are both technically rock bands there really isn't much overlap with a Nirvana fan and an Aerosmith fan. I kind of find it hard to believe that these gen Z kids wouldn't find them cringy. Also they have yet to show any interest in any female led pre-2000s rock bands like Hole or Bikini Kill, Bratmobile or like any of the bands that were associated with the Riot Grrrl revolution. Makes me think this author is a dude bc their music taste is bordering on dad-rock lol.

I feel you here. With the strong Nirvana references that started at the beginning of the story, I was expecting the manga to carry a similar "heavier" alternative note. With that said, I don't care for the classic rock that has been mentioned, but some people may be enjoying it and I appreciate the author for casting a super wide net to make followers excited for rock music in general ("omg they mentioned Blur!") and to explore bands they haven't heard before. I am excited to see what other musical references are mentioned so far—and there's a good possibility we got a ways to go in the story.

As a side note, the bands you mentioned are pretty great. Let's throw in some Sleater-Kinney and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, too!

last edited at Jul 25, 2022 9:39PM

joined May 29, 2022

Aya's one step closer to the edge, and we're gonna freak

Is this a Linkin Park reference?

joined May 29, 2022

I'm always happy to see these little moments that show the two bonding outside of the store.

I appreciate the author's intent to involve other characters (the uncle, annoying classmate) to augment the story, but I would like to see more direct interaction between Mitsuki and Aya. Summer should be an interesting time to allow for more visits to the shop and potentially more build-up between their dynamic.

joined May 29, 2022

Some questions:

Aya never took up Mitsuki's offer for her sweater? Why is Aya crouching down?

joined May 29, 2022

Is this a school for delinquents? Nail polish, piercings, and makeup ok, the boy walks around with his shirt untucked and unbuttoned, they can play with their phones and listen to music in class... Pretty funny how different the depiction of school is here from what pretty much every other manga shows.

(Except for Torako. Gone too soon, but not forgotten.)

Mitsuki conceals her tattoo and removes her nail polish before school, but your comment made me laugh because there is some truth to the lax classroom environment. Like, where is the teacher, and why do the students appear like they have so much free time?

joined May 29, 2022

saw this on tiktok and wanted to share as someone took the time to draw and animate this scene from chapter 5 of this series

It just popped up on my fyp on tiktok

it looks like they also animated another chapter as well xD

That's actually pretty cool!

joined May 29, 2022

We did it! Comment #1,000!

joined May 29, 2022

No one is going to mention Mitsuki wearing a bucket hat? Too smooth. She is ready to steal your girlfriend!

smellsliketeenspirit
joined May 29, 2022

The fingers in the mouth were unexpectedly sexy. Is there more of this series coming?

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 2:25AM

joined May 29, 2022

Garbage and L7, yes!

Melt Banana... Wow, that takes me back. I don't see much noise or math rock being portrayed. But you never know.

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 12:20PM

smellsliketeenspirit
joined May 29, 2022
Efferwescent-1536718299190263808-img1

Kristen Stewart?

joined May 29, 2022

Hey! let's make a little guess game, which band you think we'll get featured next? this time we had Gorillaz which isn't rock or metal but it's sooo good!

My candidates are
System of a Down
Tool
Soundgarden
Red Hot chili pepers

Less likely:
Depeche mode
Korn
Deftones

Hoping for:
Dandy Warhols
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Sonic Youth
Hole (because all the things Courtney Love and her association with Kurt Cobain)
Pixies
White Stripes
Oasis
Placebo
Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Bikini Kill (fingers crossed!)
Sneaker Pimps (not really rock but definitely alternative low-fi goodness)
Air (once again alternative low-fi goodness)

Less likely:
Nine Inch Nails (too heavy/dark!)
A Perfect Circle
Deftones
Queens of the Stone Age
Metric
The Breeders
Travis
Broken Social Scene
Jimmy Eat World
Dashboard Confessional

Edit: I think I'm done here.

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 1:17AM

joined May 29, 2022

I was the one side in that argument stating that she said, in her interview, that she didn't consider the story she's currently writing as yuri (ie, romance between girls), but as "female close relationship" or something. Ie, Gal Pals. Or subtext.

Afk was arguing that she implied "so far", I was arguing that she's talking about the whole story in general.

Not yuri then. Friendly affection between girls. The warmth of having a gal pal who is really close to you, like a soulmate, and really understands you.

This chapter really drives the point home.

This reminds me of an episode of People Watching. The entire thing is about how popular culture heavily devalues friendships and tries to center everything on sexual relationships despite that being "Fucking lame."

Dating someone doesn't have to be a sexual relationship, romance doesn't have to be sexual. Yuri can be a whole lot of everything, including platonic. "Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru" is listed as Subtext on here, but I've seen a good amount of people and other websites classify it as Yuri.

Also as for the video you linked, I feel it largely centralizes around the concept that men and women can be friends, without it being sexual or romantic. However there's also a very good comment on that video talking about relationships and the fears people have, the last part of said comment is "Their relationship is primed for a powerful and stable romantic relationship, but they refrain from moving their friendship to a romantic stage from fear of losing the existing trust and support. It is ironic, and in my opinion, bittersweet.", which I think is a very good point. People CAN just be friends, but they can also be more than friends without things being sexual or even romantic. It's a complicated topic, and feelings are hard to sort through, as humans we're messy unsure creatures.

With this manga we're on a website that focuses on sharing romantic F/F comics, and so a lot of people want to see them at least date, hold hands, fall in love and bond over music. I don't think everyone on here wants to see them fuck. I do think whatever relationship the author goes for should be interesting. There's nothing wrong with platonic friendships, nonsexual romances, and sexual relationships. Everyone has their preferences.

I'm a bit mixed. On one hand, hell yeah female friendships forming over a beautiful hobby that gets them kinda ostracised from others. On the other hand, it feels very much like galpal erasure of gay girls because they're just really close friends. Nothing's final until the author says so of course, but the path seems to be getting clearer.

I will definitely still follow this story, but just a bit disheartened now.

Yeah there's also I think the gay erasure aspect to consider here. Where so many same sex relationships just get dismissed as purely friends. As I said in my comments above, this series can still be Yuri, Women's Love, or however you want to define it where they're in something along the lines of maybe a platonic love relationship, that isn't romantic or sexual, but they're still more than friends.

Thank you, FluffyCow. This is an excellent comment and I mostly agree. I don't think Sumiko will show them being sexually explicit, but I have a feeling there will be lots of attachment and strong emotion between Mitsuki and Aya. Maybe Sumiko will lead up to those sexual moments with passion, emotion, and intensity, but it will be left to the reader to discern with their imagination or with subtext.

joined May 29, 2022

I was the one side in that argument stating that she said, in her interview, that she didn't consider the story she's currently writing as yuri (ie, romance between girls), but as "female close relationship" or something. Ie, Gal Pals. Or subtext.

Afk was arguing that she implied "so far", I was arguing that she's talking about the whole story in general.

Not yuri then. Friendly affection between girls. The warmth of having a gal pal who is really close to you, like a soulmate, and really understands you.

This chapter really drives the point home.

We are starting to delve deeper into this series, and I appreciate that Sumiko is beginning to provide the audience with a clearer understanding of Mitsuki's internal self. Maybe she wasn't so bothered before, but we see a longing for a sense of connection with others now that Aya is beginning to bridge that connection though their passion for music. Witnessing this affective connection between the two is so satisfying to me. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this theme, which Sumiko demonstrates on other emotionally-charged artwork on Twitter. The driving emotions and subtle intimacies—glances, nuances, inner thoughts about the other—are what I find more interesting and exciting in this series.

joined May 29, 2022

Radiohead yuri again. They might be the most prevalent band in yuri at this point.

Wait—expand on this, please? Which other yuri series integrates Radiohead? I'd definitely love to know.

joined May 29, 2022

No update this week but...

Character descriptions! Character descriptions!
https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1535826815201161216

Even though there was not an update this week, I am happy that Agu/Sumiko was able to provide these character descriptions to her audience. It must be a lot of work to create a weekly chapter in addition to her day-to-day life. Maybe she will give us two chapters next week? One can only dream...

joined May 29, 2022

The fact that we have to wait until Sunday to see how Mitsuki will react is KILLING ME! That's a make or break moment...
Sensei has been surprising us so far but what comes next is more critical... ig

What would you like to see through a critical lens? Any predictions?

joined May 29, 2022

"Song that was all the rage" huh, sounds like there was a lot of rage.....against the machine?

Despite "all the rage," she's a clerk making minimum wage...

Smashing Pumpkins would definitely be on Mitsuki's music playlist.

joined May 29, 2022

Mitsuki gives me the classic gay thoughts of "do I want to be like her or do I want to date her?"

This is such a vibe.

I am hoping that Mitsuki reveals her identity soon. How much longer can this game last? I am ready for them to take it to the next level and navigate their relationship with one another. What do they want to be—friends or more? Will they keep their relationship secret due to their cultural or social standings (popular vs. loner) at school and at home? So many questions and so much potential to explore this story.

smellsliketeenspirit
joined May 29, 2022

Am I misreading the intimacy scene or does Makoto, the feminine brunette, climax by grinding on Momoka's leg?