Forum › Posts by Apocryphal

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I'm writing this thought only based on chapter 70 - motherfucker this is subtext in the same way 9/11 was a mild annoyance. And now having read a few other chapters I missed, this sentiment's strength has increased a thousandfold.

I really like the dynamic between, man, their names escape me now. Hebimori and... Mai? Let's go with that. I really like their dynamic. I feel that it builds toward something and I'm looking forward to seeing what that is. I also will flat-out say I ship them.

And obviously the dynamic between Komichi and Erika is electrifying, good lord. As another comment mentions, somehow their dynamic is enrapturing and mesmerizing, on a level far beyond some other established canon couples.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I cannot believe Takamine is going to fucking die so soon into the story, such a bummer, man.

Seriously, though, such a cute goddamn chapter, oh my god. I love how subtly Takamine shows that she's disappointed not seeing Sakura in casual clothes. With the cover and how Sakura reacted, I'm actually thinking that she got scared or way too self-conscious and decided to "play it safe" with the familiar uniform, and I'm really hoping that's the case and that it'll be brought up. Though Sakura coming with her uniform gave us the absolute killer of a move by Takamine. To which I say goddamn the girl's smooth.

I love how their interaction developed in the chapter, starting with Sakura awkwardly trying to start a conversation and really start to get to know Takamine, Takamine picking up on the cues and stumbling on her own insecurities a bit, and this emphasis on those mundane conversations and getting to know one another, just as mentioned in the chapter, even if the contents of those conversations will be forgotten by the following day, there's so much meaning in them nonetheless, and I love seeing their relationship develop like that.

Biggest highlight of the chapter for me was Takamine's expression when she told her mother she had fun. Especially for one who has said multiple times that she feels her life is empty, showing this sincere and, for lack of a better word, content expression, to me means the world and is incredibly satisfying.

And with the cute thing about forgetting the sweater, while sadly condemning Takamine to an excruciating and inevitable death, may also mean that there'll be some really nice stuff in the next chapters, and I cannot wait. This shit is good for the soul. I'm just sitting here and grinning, dude.

When Sakura showed up in her uniform and then held back from going to the arcade because of it, I was somewhat expecting Takamine to impulse buy her the cute dress in the window...

I was hoping that'd happen so much lol.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

A lovely surprise. So goddamn adorable, dude. Love it.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

This hurts. I really enjoy the mix of "Oh shit a new chapter is out, I'm going to feel sad" and "This is such a good manga" when I see the upload.

Same. There's this feeling that's between dread and excited expectation that is haunting.

In any case, a fantastic chapter. The detailed story behind Shizuku's past was incredibly touching and far too close for comfort. I also love the explicit distinction between a happy ending and one in which the characters are content and can move on. I'm hoping and somewhat expecting that this entails a proper confession. Please.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

...I'm inclined to believe she might have feelings for Hirose...

Hinata and Hatori read as straight for me, although it's early enough that it's possible one of them will have feelings for Hirose for extra "drama".

Yeah, my line there was in large part conjecture based on my knowledge of genre tropes and my read of potential flows of the story. When looking at both characters, I also read them as straight. That said, something about Hatori in particular screams at me that there's more than meets the eye, which is why I think she'll be important as well.

In any case, I love the extra being a peek into their backgrounds and into the other party's inner workings. Gives extra substance, weight, and context to what we've seen thus far, in my opinion, and I'm a big fan.

last edited at Sep 27, 2023 3:58PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

She figured out how to make a space for Ruri to "come home" to. Very important that she understands her value to Ruri and what she can do for her that others cannot. Ruri can handle her own stress and Hato can be part of that, no matter what form their relationship takes. Very cosy vibe to this chapter (and the series in general).

Agreed on all points. Specifically, Hato making a space that is "for Ruri" was a simple and adorable development that I'm a huge fan of.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

They need to do a memory wipe or something or the girls who have been kissing girls are. . . Are . . . Gonna . . . Well if they want to continue kissing I wouldn’t mind.

One of the couples in page 19 continued kissing even after the curse was broken...

I'm dearly hoping that one of the next chapters mentions something along the lines of "a substantial increase in the number of known couples" in their school.

Also, I may or may not have a thing for teachers, but I am ecstatic about the prospect of the teacher now being actively part of Kanon's harem.

I'm also very interested in the reveal about Lucifer. I'm reading it as her being close with Kanon at some point in their lives, and the cruel twist of fate is that now she's on the "opposite team", or something like that.

All the kissing aside, which really is more than enough in my book, I actually like that there's at least some semblance of a plotline. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Also the inevitable kissing duel between Kanon and Lucifer.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Put off on reading the finale for as long as I could; I just don't like finales, really. But it was a very sweet ending to what has been one of the silliest, most earnestly entertaining series I've ever read. It will be sorely missed.

Also Akira absolutely should have hadmet Hana's mother.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

A short, sweet, and fun read. I love Hachiko's works and style for those reasons. But also this:

Yeah, end. Now I want an extra with a lewd kiss

Please.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Hirose sustained some significant damage, and she's in denial. Big fucking oof for our girl here. Man, the way she just fucking died on page 10; painfully relatable. She will obviously play an important role, but I don't think I've seen the way this sort of "role" she'll have is built before, and I like it. I also think the other friend, I believe her name is Hatori, who I now promote over Hirose to be the perceptive one of the trio, will play an important role. I'm inclined to believe she might have feelings for Hirose.

But more importantly, I'm excited like a little kid before Christmas or something for the movie date. As Serenata's comment above very accurately describes, I've been grinning on and off and giggling like a gremlin. Page 17 was the fucking cutest with the "see you tomorrow" transition. So, so good. I'm loving it. This is definitely one of my most anticipated series right now, and I'm very, very much looking forward to the next chapters and seeing how things shape out.

last edited at Sep 5, 2023 11:08AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Lapis is her own judge, jury, and executioner. The pain in her expressions, the venom in her inner thoughts that is turned against herself, and her inner conflict specifically regarding Natori, are all incredibly visceral and get more pronounced the more light is shed on Lapis' inner workings. It's hard to read at times, but at the same time, the building and fleshing out of her character are incredibly satisfying.

Especially her inner conflict about Natori, and especially after the "reveal" that Natori has known all along. It's clear that Natori's words and kindness and other feelings reach Lapis, and I'd say are so, so close to breaking through her facade, but Lapis does everything in her power to reject it all, as well as her own feelings because in her mind there's no point. She's already doomed, there is no way back. Makes the romantic tension between the two so much more palpable and delicious.

...I do feel her and Gran will eventually help Natori...

Almost definitely, I believe. I read Diana as one who may have a competitive streak, but when all is said and done, when it matters, she puts even this aside. And as you said, she sincerely cares for Lapis as well, so I don't really think she'll get in the way of anything.

As an aside, the art in this series has been incredible from the beginning, but chapter 11's designs were phenomenal.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Chapter 18 - Nice.

Chapters 19-20 - Some fun fluff. Mei is starting to learn and apply what she's learned from those around her and I'm a big fan. Also girl's a living, breathing aphrodisiac and I cannot get enough of that.

Chapter 21 - New girl's really intense; not sure how I feel about her, to be honest. Loving the sensei stuff as well. Most importantly, though, actual story elements are introduced, the girl has a face and a name now, as well as a solid confirmation that Mei still has feelings for her. This is conjecture and maybe projection, but I'd assume that even more than "just because", I'm inclined to believe this is the primary reason she couldn't set her head straight and really commit to anything. Kinda feel that something should have happened here, though. Maybe an extra? Also the fact that Kaoru doesn't maul Mei is really impressive at this point.

Chapter 22 - Lots of kisses. Good lord. I legit like the play's plot, it's an amusing idea. I'm also 100% certain that this is a not-at-all-subtle message to girls all around the globe that they should shoot their shot, or something along those lines. I also feel like there's a little bit of a sensei arc going on now and I'm all for it. The new girl mellowed out a bit, too. I'll die laughing if she somehow falls for Mei as well.

Chapter 23 - I really like that Mei is open about the fact that she still has feelings for someone else, and I really like that Karin does not fucking care. Do it, Mei! Just! Do it! And then immediately after that bomb, Jesus fucking christ, another bombshell. Page 213 is some neuron activation type shit, dude. The entire thing is just so hot. Once again, Do it, Mei! Just! Do it! I'm pretty certain Teach will kill herself once she comes to her senses, so it's now or never!

Overall a huge fan of the developments and the fluff and just seeing Mei melt all these girls by simply existing in their general vicinity. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. I'll be real, I primarily want Mei to do it, like, make sex part of the equation is what I want to happen. It'll make subsequent interactions, particularly with Riri, so incredibly amusing.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

This was such a sweet and satisfying chapter. I have so many things I want to comment about and I can't find the words for any of them.

I love how tangible the character-building and growth are. Takamine going from saying she "...just kind of existed" to admitting that she always wanted to shine like those she looked up to was so incredibly satisfying, especially since those feelings she was describing are incredibly relatable. I don't think I've ever seen the notion that trying something one might not be interested in (or comfortable with) is incredible in and of itself brought up like this, and this is absolutely some level of projection on my end, but how this new perspective gave Takamine the legitimacy or context to come to the conclusion that she wants to have that "something" as well felt incredibly satisfying and organic. Like, I intended initially to start with a joke about how Takamine was going in the span of four pages a whole process that it took me 6 and still counting years of therapy to achieve, but no joke, this is exactly that, pretty much verbatim, too.

"The whole reason we're here today is because there's something you're looking for, isn't it?". I also love this. Both as a sentence in the context of the chapter's events and as an idea, a notion similar to the one about going out of your comfort zone. I don't think I've seen this used to "contrast" the idea that one's life is empty, definitely not in such a grounded and relatable manner. I feel that contrast isn't a fitting word, it wasn't there to go against what Takamine said she feels but rather to offer a different perspective to the one Takamine has.

I also just adore Sakura. I love how clumsily she started when she shared her perspective, and how once she got over the first hurdle she spoke openly and sincerely. You see that kind of reversed at the end, too, when she openly says how much she enjoyed herself and how she wanted to get closer to Takamine, but then got all clumsy when she tried saying they should do it again. I also love how it is contrasted by the straight and to-the-point response by Takamine. Also just page 25 with the beaming, excited smile. So cute.

I don't know if it makes sense, and I can't explain it, but those two feel like much more whole characters than in other stories to me. I'm guessing what I'm saying is that I agree with the comment above, this is high-quality character drama. I love this so much.

last edited at Aug 19, 2023 10:33AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

cecile posted:

I see a lot of hate on Shion here, but honestly, she's right. In a real world situation (read: not a Yuri manga), if you confess to a partner and they don't feel the same, you risk ruining the partnership (which in this case means ruining Kiki's chance of being top pair in the quadrille). In a sense, Shion is looking out for Kiki and her dream. You can't fault her actions.

Like she protected her dream when she abandoned her without a proper explanation at the start? leaving her in shambles? let's not pretend she say that because she wanted to protect her, she's just being a coward the first time and once again because if she can't then no one can, her heart is not in the right place.

Both of those things can be true, i think. cecile is correct in that confessing and potentially messing up their relationship could very well destroy everything they've been working for up until now.
But it's also true that Shion clearly has less than pure ulterior motives telling Michiru about it like that, since she even admonishes herself and feels guilty over it.

The fact that her point is technically not wrong, is prob part justification what led her to do this in the first place, like telling herself "Oh i'm just saying it for their own good" but also immediately thinking "oh who am i kidding" after she does it

The biggest difference here, I think, is that Shion's outburst was purely emotional and without actually justifying or reasoning until after the fact. It definitely didn't come from a place that actually worried for Michiru or even Kiki's dream, I'd say, but from panic after seeing the fire in Michiru's eyes, and what I'd assume is a mirror of what could have been for her. All this is my read more than anything, mind you, but I feel that the words Shion told Michiru are those she had told herself in the past.

Mona can fix Shion ^_^

I wouldn't say fix, but I unironically think this is true. If there's anyone who can see past the fractured facade and call her out on it, it'd be Mona.

last edited at Aug 14, 2023 7:13AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

The way Michiru's heightened self-consciousness and now newfound anxiety are contrasted by Kiki planning on surprising her for her birthday is... bizarrely adorable, in my eyes. Or rather, I feel that this is building up for what will be an amazing moment, and I'm already squeeing in anticipation. I don't think it'll be without turbulence, though. In any case, I am so, so happy the story isn't running away from its own developments, and I am really looking forward t what comes next.

To be honest, as much as throwing all of that shit on Michiru completely unprovoked and uncalled for is one hell of a shitty move, I cannot hate Shion for it. I can sympathize with her pain, with her confusion, and especially with the fact that the hell she's going through is of her own making. The way she immediately berates herself over it as well; she knows she's fucked up, but almost cannot stop herself from going through with it.

The fact that she realizes and regrets it right away but will most likely NOT apologize or fix the situation unless she's confronted or it gets even worse really makes me feel disgust.... You can't defend this, maybe someone would say "that's just youth" but there are shitty adults and shitty kids too, we're all aware and responsible.

I think that it's uncertain, especially with how she immediately berated herself. I'm not defending her, and this is definitely not a youth thing, but in her state and with what she's going through, I can see why she acted and reacted the way she did. I don't think this is what defines her character, though, but what she'll do from this point, which truthfully is something I'm surprisingly optimistic about. I can definitely see her taking responsibility and at the very least apologizing once the waters have calmed for a bit.

The fact that Shion just dumped that on her basically unprovoked should be a clue for Michiru that the information is not reliable...

Thing is that Michiru herself is not in a reliable state of mind, and it only took that... well, I can't call it a "little" push, but it sowed the seed of doubt pretty damn well. I don't think she'd be able to detach herself from that enough to actually put the pieces together in the same way unrelated parties or those who know more than the characters such as you or I could. Definitely think this would be a great time to really introduce Kiki's sister, though. I'm legit starting to actually think she's dead.

last edited at Aug 13, 2023 8:14PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

To note: the relationship between Hato and Ruri isn't romantic in nature. Asako says as much at the end: don't help her because she's a celebrity or because she's a (romantic) partner, but because she's a "neighbor", ie someone who lives next to you. Echoing her former situation with Miyako. She's not quite a stranger, not quite a friend, but someone you know well enough to try to help them.

Asako is giving Hato a reason to help Ruri, which she didn't really have before.

I could be misinterpreting what you meant so let me know, if you see this.

...Asako is basically saying, "you may not know how to help her through all of her problems but you still have the ability to help her in your own unique way because you know her in your own unique way." I mean Miyako and Asako's "neighborly relationship," certainly became romantic--it doesn't mean Ruri and Hato will too but I don't think this convo implies one way or the other.

The way I'm seeing it is that Asako's words to Hato weren't what gave her the reason, but gave legitimacy and I'd say context to Hato's desire to help Ruri. It kind of felt like Hato hesitated and maybe even rejected her desire to help, and those words were the little push to say that it's okay for her to want to help. That kinda connects with what SrNevik said, as I think this is the likely development.

Regarding the romantic or not question, in my eyes, it's pretty much guaranteed to be deeper than the two being simply friends. Full-blown romance is what I'm hoping for, but there's also something about their dynamic that works really well in a more-than-friends, less-than-lovers kind of way, and I wouldn't mind this direction either.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I am loving both the story and the various analyses and theories in the comments. I'm incredibly impressed with the author's ability to weave new elements into the story and interweave already existing elements with either the newly introduced ones or with one another; everything has a meaning, and foreshadowing is ubiquitous in a way that I feel is simply very skillful.

Sadly I do not have one of my own at the moment, a combination of exhaustion and lack of proper attention primarily, but there is one thing I particularly chew on every time I read a chapter, and that is the question of how far back do Aizawa and Michi go. Some comments have mentioned that Aizawa's behavior, in the beginning, doesn't necessarily suggest she had a particular interest in Michi, but I'm inclined to think that she had and that showing her fool around was either a misdirection or just her fooling around in her relatively newfound ghost form.

In any case, I'm very much looking forward to seeing more and learning more. Also Michi's getting hit with that big gay; good.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Oooh, some meat. Not gonna lie, part of me hoped for pure fluff, but I am mot complaining. It was more implicit up to now, but Takamine is holding some serious self hatred right here, and hopefully we'll start delving into what exactly happaned in the volleyball team and with Hirose (correct name?). I also like that Sakura noticed something is amiss, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I will also say that cutting the chapter at that point is pretty much like torture.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

...Whatever happened in their past (if he even is her real father at all) must have strained their relationship...

Operating under the assumption that Lapis had a sister who had died due to reasons we are not yet (fully) aware of (which, by the way, is this the consensus? I'm uncertain what the general consensus is at the moment), I'm inclined to believe this dude, real father or otherwise, either has a direct relation to that or was in some sort of an antagonistic position against said sister. Perhaps he is that girl's biological father or something.

My read of him is that of an opportunistic slime. Something about the way he "showed interest" in Lapis felt beyond fake, and only to cynically get on her good side for whatever reason.

In any case, I love how this chapter develops our two mains -

Natori's flashback sheds some more light on her "background actor" nature and I'd say her general preparedness and skills and cements that it is truly part of her nature, being this benevolent goddess who somehow is also very generally prepared and eager to help.

And Lapis' monologue, a very self-hating monologue, I'd like to add, gives so much more volume to her as a character, and I really appreciate that. I'm also even more certain that Lapis isn't a villain by nature, she's playing the role of the bad guy because she feels like she has to, or something along those lines.

Also, I'm just a huge fan of the dynamic between these two. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things develop, there's so much potential, and so far the author has been doing a great job.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

girl did you forget this encounter was two chapters long lol

Even then she has a point. Asumi's overall inactivity kind of blehs everything.
(In last chapter, Nanao was very responsive.)

I generally disagree with them saying that the chapter/encounter was disappointing, and I also don't think Asumi was unresponsive but definitely agree that I would like Asumi to be more active. I really would like to see her let inhibitions go and go ham, though there would need to be some character build-up for that.

Also:

...Ouka hearing about Asumi and Nanao becoming FWB might very well be the trigger for that to happen, I can totally see her being down and using that to get her foot in the door so to speak :D

I like this idea. I don't know how I feel about the polycule idea, but I do not reject it. Brothel Queen Asumi, on the other hand, I fully support as well.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Firstly, that was so, so hot. Good lord. Nanao truly is a monster, the heart-shaped pupils on page 21, the immediate taste test with not a moment's hesitation on 25, the immediate jump back into action afterward, girl's a goddess. I also love their overall dynamic within the context of sex; knowing when to push, when to relent, talking to one another, and wanting one another. Nanao "confessing" she had imagined this was legitimately adorable, as well as Asumi's reaction. I honestly believe that Nanao is the best partner Asumi has had thus far, which I guess might seem obvious, but is still worth noting. All that to say that I'm a huge fan.

I also love that they explicitly discussed the implications that this may have on their relationship. I personally don't think that the friends-with-benefits route is a bad thing, primarily since it is Nanao who suggested it after a time of deliberation and not necessarily as a bittersweet compromise or anything. I also don't think that this is a set-in-stone, irreversible sentence, but more of an evolution of their relationship, that may or may not keep evolving from this point. Part of me is inclined to believe Asumi herself wasn't exactly thrilled about simply going back to normal, too, so I think that works rather well. And I guess that, like mentioned in the comments above, might as well go with a bang, no? Though I do honestly believe that, like mentioned above, Nanao has been Asumi's best partner to date, and that the two are an incredible fit, so I guess here's hoping.

...I'm going to end up hurt and crying either way, at least it will be fun in the meantime.

I apologize if this is inappropriate or out of place, but I do hope you're doing well and am wishing you better days ahead.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

CUTE! THIS IS CUTE! That 30.5 extra just fucking melted me! God, this is so good for the soul.

Also:

They are way too cute! Someone pick them up now please! Seven Seas! Yen Press! Literally any printing company! I need this in my collection!

Please!

last edited at Jul 24, 2023 3:19PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Oh... Oh no... Not sure why, but part of me feels this is a bait, probably not, though.

I also feel that there's a fire in Sheena that increasingly grows in strength and intensity, and maybe whatever happens with Esta could serve as a further catalyst for her growth. That felt incedibly cynical and cold to write lol.

Other than that, jealous and pampering Mimi was adorable. The whole sequence was incredibly sweet, and I love the balance between the flavors and tones.

Also, "...Sheena is completely worn out from clinging onto other people..." phrasing? lol. I am afraid.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

... Look I just ship Michi and Kasumi real bad, okay?...

A snippet of my own comment from up above. So yeah. I am a sad boy. It's not exactly surprising that they're together, but still... I will sink with this ship regardless. Still, though, it's actually really nice that this is established in-no-uncertain-terms; at the very least I'm content with the precedent for going big and not home has been set.

Cute how, after unlocking the power to touch Michi, Aizawa keeps doing it after...

Didn't notice at first pass, but going back and checking, holy crap this is so fucking cute.

...Getting Aizawa's voice back or finding out why she can't speak will probably be a major part of the plot later...

I'm inclined to believe that Aizawa's first time speaking and first words will be at the apex of the series, or at the very least that of a very major arc. I'm also kinda hoping this is the case, I don't know, I feel like it'll make for such a gratifying moment.

I also feel that her not speaking can be the into of a route in which Aizawa is not actually dead, and while terribly cliche, I'm a huge sucker for this shit, so I'm also kinda hoping for that to happen. I've commented something along those lines before, but if shenanigans were to happen and Aizawa woke up alive and then spoke her first words to Michi, I'd absolutely love it.

In any case, sinking ships aside, I'm a big fan of the goings-on in this series, and I'm really looking forward to more.

last edited at Jul 17, 2023 6:09AM

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

This series is one of the first yuri works I've ever picked up and followed, way back when, I think it had like 6 chapters online or something, so even though I haven't been following it closely for a long time and I'd only pop in once in a while, it still holds a special place in my heart, and it feels really weird to hear that it's ending, and I'll really miss it. I hope Yukiko gets around to just drawing them more like she says she wants to do.

Also like SrNevik mentions, the dynamic between Kasumi and Sakurako has always been incredibly special in how it was handled, especially in that no labels were really needed to see and know what is what, and I've always liked it about the manga, though I'll admit part of me always wanted the two to boink or whatever. I still do, honestly... yo, maybe the doujin format presents an opportunity, who knows?