Forum › Posts by EmergentLurker

joined Aug 1, 2019

Couldn't she just leave a comment requesting a DM for the number or is there something I don't know about these Chinese specific sites?

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 30 Oct 07:52
joined Aug 1, 2019
Fcseu4txiacnydt-orig

^ There is no context, someone on Twitter made this image then someone did voice acting for it.

Kronii brought it up on stream and it apparently confused Kronii as much as everyone else here was.

joined Aug 1, 2019

I can't help but feel like the artist forgot about the proportions halfway through.

Around the end, Honoka's legs got ridiculously big for the size she's meant to be.

joined Aug 1, 2019

It was so hard to take this seriously with the constant mentioning of "Alpha".

That damn false study is still causing problems.

joined Aug 1, 2019

I know the swastika is an ancient religious symbol with positive meanings, and but seeing P卍4 really threw me for a loop at first lmao.

That was almost certainly an accident involving making a variant of the PS4 logo, combined with the lack of focus WW2 gets in Japanese schools. The author clearly just took the S from the PS4 logo and added another one turned sideways to avoid copyright issues.

Doesn't make the implications better but I'm willing to chalk it up to poor foresight.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I also agree to adding the bisexual/het tag, if she is explicitly stating sexually acts on men (like ball sucking) it might be safe to say her sexuality is a little bit more open.

We don't really know the details here but it's worth noting that homosexual women do work as sex workers engaging in heterosexual acts, there are apparently a variety of economic reasons that I don't have all the details on.

That's sort of irrelevant to the tagging system though as the rules the dynasty mods have on tagging things het or bisexual is that they must explicitly showcase it as a visual or story element. So far all we've gotten is that she's done it off-screen and takes notes to improve job performance so I'd say it doesn't apply yet.

If visual or story elements are added that either explicitly state an attraction to men or show her engaging in said activities then sure add the tags, that's the point of the tagging system otherwise it'll just mislead people searching using the tags.

joined Aug 1, 2019

Isn't SSM still not allowed in Japan?

Currently it isn't, though a Japanese Sapporo court apparently ruled a gay marriage ban as unconstitutional so we'll see how things go in future.

joined Aug 1, 2019

modern food is messing with our kids' body, they have puberty too early these days

...and IT'S TURNING THE FROGS GAY

No, no, no, that's the CIA. This sounds like the work of Lyndon B. Johnson. And Fidel Castro. And the Freemasons.

I get that this is a joke but for anyone confused the myth started since some species of frog are sequential hermaphrodites. This means as they lose fertility in their older ages they switch their sexual organs to still participate in reproduction. The frogs aren't going "gay" persay their just shifting along their natural life cycle.

The issue is that some pollutants, such as Atrazine Herbicide, could potentially trigger the sequential hermaphrodism earlier than expected which might have long running sustainability issues for these species.

https://www.pnas.org/content/99/8/5476

I do want to make it clear to not attach human concepts of reproduction or sexuality to these species as their reproductive process is extremely far from how humans or other related mammalian species operate.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 25 Aug 17:23
joined Aug 1, 2019
E7s8bthvcaettt1-orig

^ That I have not. I always intend to get back into the show at some point but get worried my nostalgia googles will end up irritating me.

Also I hate cliffhangers and the show's a good several volumes behind.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 25 Aug 09:29
joined Aug 1, 2019
E7s8bthvcaettt1-orig

^ I was more referring to the fact that law enforcement would alert the British authorities & Interpol that the English & Catholic churches were kidnapping and experimenting on minors. I don't see many of the plots conflicts occurring when Academy city's biggest export is removed & the Vatican is under investigation for child endangerment (wow that's weirdly topical). Surprised anyone sends their kids there at all given the city's crime & death rate.

Don't know about how far along the manga is, I didn't care enough. As far as I can tell the light novel isn't going to end despite having apparently dealt with the initial primary conflicts at this point. Guess they're just gonna keep going till it runs out of steam.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 25 Aug 04:24
joined Aug 1, 2019
E7s8bthvcaettt1-orig

^The problem with that is that Railgun has to follow Index's lead due to how the series was made and most of the plots in Index would break if a teleporting detective cop gets involved at any point.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 25 Aug 04:21
joined Aug 1, 2019
E9obok_voaqgzpp-orig

Knowing this is made by Moona herself I always wonder how HoloLive manages to get away with doing this given that they live in Indonesia.

Is it literally only because they don't show their faces?

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

Heh, silly Ise. She wasn't trying to ask you something she just likes saying your name.

Cute.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I don't think paying employees in cash is illegal even in the US, and Japan is more cash-oriented (like I've heard of rent being paid in cash), and this is probably a very high cashflow business for obvious reasons. Not to say it isn't sketchy.

Fining for being late is also a thing that can happen in the US, though again, very shitty. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=employee+fined+for+being+late&ia=web

Well that doesn't seem great. For frame of reference I don't live in the US, I live in Australia, where fining your employees is liable to get you dragged to court.

That's all a moot point though as I'm 90% sure the shell company they have setup is actually for tax dodging & underpaying employees as opposed to actually protecting their girls. This company concerns me on so many levels.

From a Doylian perspective though if the author decides to delve into these practices and their consequences I think that'd be a strange yet interesting take on this series. I'm almost entirely following this to see if the underlying business & it's practices ends up being revealed/investigated. It'd actually be a really interesting conflict for our protagonist, turn a blind eye or report her employers.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

OK, just no. Those last 2 rules are breaking so many workers laws & ethics violations that I question how they're still in business. For starters only paying in cash allows them to easily commit fraud & tax violations, if I'd have heard this alone I'd jump ship & report it.

Then these idiots are audacious enough to CHARGE their EMPLOYEES for being late. That's ridiculous on so many levels and if this practice is actually common in Japan then it's no wonder their economy is in the toilet.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

If I had a nickel for every time this tag was used I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I'm mildly annoyed how few people are talking about the reversal here.

I find it super interesting with how it subverts expectations. You at first think that the abusive one is Kuzawa due to how she treats Mamiya but then it's revealed that Kuzawa is miserable doing this stuff but she'll get physically abused and rejected if she doesn't do it.

It's kinda messed up but at the same time morbidly fascinating.

joined Aug 1, 2019

This series seems much more grounded compared to many others on this site. I personally don't think there will be any romance but not because of anything complicated and more for boring practical reasons.

This series follows a female editor at a Japanese publication company, females in Japan typically avoid romance in the formative years of their career due to Japanese culture. Combine that with Tanaka being Toda's editor and thus being in a position of power can lead to an unbalanced power balance in a relationship.

Tanaka comes across as too professional to do something like that in a series as realistic & grounded as this.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 13 Jul 20:34
joined Aug 1, 2019
E5-ij1kxeae4njd-orig%20(1)

^not a couple yet, but yes to everything else. The show runner has said they are both canonically LGBT though if that helps.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 25 Jun 23:38
joined Aug 1, 2019
Eoz08hcxmaekwce-orig

That's not what human GLaDOS looks like. Portal 2 shows us what human GLaDOS looks like. I forgot how to do spoilers so I won't say more than that.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I like how every single chapter goes "A REFRESHING/EXCITING NEW TAKE ON YURI"

Ya'll don't have to sell us, we're already reading it. Also like, this isn't refreshing or new. This is how people acted to their crushes in Elementary school.

It's also how all my friends treated each other during high school, lighthearted ribbing isn't too bad so long as everyone is onboard with it and knows when to stop. It's generally better when they rib back too though, would love to see some of that here.

joined Aug 1, 2019

^ Sure there can be many reasons why a couple breaks up.. Reasons a story has to TELL you to count. Otherwise its just random nonsense out of nowhere without justification.

It would have made as much sense if she had suddenly pulled out a gun and shot her gf out of nowhere and then it ended- I could imagine many reasons THAT might happen too.. And I'd still be going.. wtf?

The problem with the story is listed in the tags, it's biographical, not autobiographical. This means a 3rd party is writing about the events in question with incomplete information and reality is oftentimes stranger and less consistent than fiction. Expecting it to follow standard story beats doesn't work 'cause reality never follows those standard beats in my experience.

EmergentLurker
Image Comments 27 Apr 05:00
joined Aug 1, 2019
Lesbian

Can't blame Bennet here, the Isle of Lesbos doesn't exist in this universe afterall.

To those that don't know the term lesbian was derived from the Greek isle of lesbos due to the poet Sappho, no island no terminology.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

I really dislike the Omegaverse thing due to it's association with a disproven science article, I'm pretty sure it was disproven by the same guy that wrote it.

It was family dynamics the whole time omega was mother, alpha was father, beta's were their pups which makes the whole thing way weirder and more uncomfortable.

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

Stories about childhood friends who grew up together just come off to me like the author wants to write incest but is afraid of the stigma. This may just be me but I don't think I can be attracted to someone I've known since childhood

That's the Westermarck effect. It depends on exactly how often they socialized with each other in their youth.