Forum › Posts by Looking East

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ah yes another manga when the conflict resolves and the series ends, fucking hell can the authors not write anything past that? Such a shame...

Unless it is some super famous mangaka that regularly shits gold for the publishers they rarely get to end a series on their own terms They usually get two or three chapters of warning before the ax falls regardless of if its enough time to end the story in a somewhat satisfactory manner. Consider us lucky that we even had most of the conflict resolved. It is a very rare manga that is given enough warning to end properly and then provide some sort of epilogue.afterwards.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

FINALLY a premise that's long overdue (this and yuri isekai's). Can't wait to read more.

There are a few yuri isekai out there but they are relatively rare. The best one I've read is Otherside Picnic.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Neat, they turned it into a manga. It's rare to see decent yuri novels, but the one this one's based on is fun.

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any. So does anyone have some suggestions for good yuri novels? Preferable stuff that isn't just plain romance.

joined Jul 19, 2018

I wish I could forget Qualia the Purple. That is the only manga that has ever truly fucked with my head.

Try reading Otherside Picnic. That one messed up my head a bit.

Looking East
Lily Marble discussion 14 Jun 14:00
joined Jul 19, 2018

https://twitter.com/YuriIchigoScans/status/1272136338393796608

Series ends in two chapters.

Ouch, with the way the mangaka was pacing everything its VERY clear they are being forced to end it prematurely.

joined Jul 19, 2018

One can't forgot Qualia the Purple

That's a neat one. I can think of a few pretty serious scifi yuri stories.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō is an award winning science fiction manga featuring enough yuri that it can't simply be called subtext.

Otherside Picnic is a yuri story that sort of straddles the intersection between eldritch horror and scifi/fantasy.

Flip Flappers is pretty awesome although it's more surreal and psychological than hard science fiction.

Sadly, I have a couple of others that come to mind from long ago but I can't remember the titles.

last edited at Jun 11, 2020 7:11AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm going to miss this. It was a cute and fun little manga.

joined Jul 19, 2018

This is beautiful. My thanks to those that translated and uploaded this. I've been trying to get Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō uploaded here for a couple of years now and although this doesn't appear to have any yuri elements, it has that same wonderful bittersweet post apocalyptic flavor that Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō did.

Despite being a huge iyashikei fan, I was unaware this title even existed. It's rare I find new stories like this. This made my day.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Shiny

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Fuck I'm depressed this got cancelled. It had such a good premise and was actually interesting and funny. Everything good never lasts long and then we get garbage like nanashi no asterism lasting 5 volumes and getting localized. God dammittt

Joke on you, Vampiress Lord get localized in France. I actually own the 3 volumes.

i mean i'm not surprised, france is the western culture that loves anime/manga the most lol but also it doesn't change how disappointing the fact that it got cancelled. we'll never know how the story was really supposed to go.

The French produce some beautifully talented animators as well.

To echo everyone else's sentiment, it really is a shame this manga was cut down in its it prime.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Looking at those last few panels, Leberblume doesn't seem to like Lord's overbearing and abusive style of command. I wonder if anything will come of that.

joined Jul 19, 2018

extorting physical services for rent

Cool erotica trope.

cheese in gyoza

I'm out of here!

But seriously, yeah, whew that chapter 8!

As for earlier discussion, why is "pay rent money, or I evict you" a legitimate business transaction, but "have sex or pay money, or I evict you" extortion?

Biology. Sex acts release neurochemicals that stimulate emotional dependency and build intimacy. As such, human society, in general, tends to afford greater weight to sexual activity than other behaviors, and so forcing someone to engage in them without honest consent is traumatic, and therefore immoral.

It's not the same for everyone, because people are different, but in general, this is why sex crimes are more traumatic than non-sex crimes, and why casual sex is so hard of a concept for a lot of people.

Simply offering an alternate payment form really isn't proper extortion. Depending on where you are it could probably fall afoul of prostitution laws but that's a different can of worms. Traditional extortion would be more along the lines of "pay me your rent and if you know what's good for you give me some nooky on the side or we will find something to evict you for."

For something to be blackmail or extortion there must be a threat made. Simply offering somebody an alternative option to save them from becoming homeless due to their own fault and failure to pay rent doesn't meet that requirement. The Land Lady made no threat.

The threat of eviction is still a threat. Legally, demanding sex for continued lodging is extortion.

As for people describing this as rape. Again that's a completely false statement and a misuse of the word. For rape to occur the sexual act must not be consensual. Prostitution and rape are not synonyms.

Having sex with someone who is drunk is rape. They aren't able to consent. Period. It's not complicated.

You don't know what you are talking about. It's not complicated.

You seriously believe every person that's ever gotten drunk with someone else and had sex with them is a rapist?

For something to be a threat a person has to imply they are going to cause or do something that isn't already going to happen to you. In other words if you tell somebody that they can come inside if they give you a cookie because it's raining and they will get wet if they don't, that is not a threat.

last edited at May 17, 2020 11:33PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

White Garden Update: After waiting for a teammate for some time, we decided to get back to track. We have almost all chapters already translated from the original Japanese, so expect releases in a timely manner again.

。^‿^。

Looking East
Lily Marble discussion 14 May 21:39
joined Jul 19, 2018

someone said that in japan you are adult when you are 20

Yes, so keep that in mind all of you filthy immoral rapists that had sex with 18 or 19 year olds when you were over the age of 20.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

This series never fails to make me smile.

Looking East
Boku To discussion 06 May 06:17
joined Jul 19, 2018

This identity policing is beyond triggering.
Also haha look how feminine he is in earlier panels, but in the maid one I'll give him bone-crushing-jaws and arms made of marble stone with lipstick applied like a blind clown.

I don't get it. In both before and after panels he looks the same which is pretty androgynous overall.

One thing I can agree on with pretty much everyone else is that chapter 3 was painful to read. That poor kid. You can't help but feel for him.

last edited at May 6, 2020 6:21AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

This manga is as bad as ever I see.
agree

Door's right there, don't let it hit you on the way out.

What makes it funny is that we are like 50 chapters and a year into this manga.

"Fool me once..."

Looking East
Dear NOMAN discussion 06 May 03:35
joined Jul 19, 2018

It has elements to it that I think would make for a great story that follows Mashiro through many of the earlier years of her life and career in the Society, but who knows if Neji actually has any plans for all that.

Press x to doubt Like i said, will be lucky to have more than 3 chapters after the reveal. Maybe 4 or even 5 with a strech but i don't see Neji streching it after the reveal to Mashiro.

Yeah, after what happened in Prison Town or Vacation Maou to Pet, I don't think we will get fully satisfying closure to the plot. Still, I believe in Neji-sensei, I really like their stories, just I'm not really fond of endings.

It will all probably come down to how popular this series is. Ultimately this is what governs how long 90% of manga get to be, particularly if the mangaka isn't some big name in the industry with at least one flagship series under their belt. I sincerely hope this manga is doing well and has a long future ahead of it since I'm quite fond of it and we need more unique yuri stories like this.

I see signs pointing in both directions. The speed of this latest plot development has me a bit worried, but at the same time seeing things like recent new characters being added to the roster is reassuring. I think Neji starts all her stories with the hope they can become long running slice of life yuri fantasies but she often has to cut them short.

If you look at the story structure of Beauty and the Beast Girl you can see Neji had also set up an early story arc that could have served as an ending involving the big reveal of their shared dark past and the confession, but since the story is popular enough she has gotten to continue past what was initially a reasonable end point if things didn't go well.

As for this chapter this was a painful reveal, but not a bad twist even if it was a tad predictable. I think that likely there will be more to this than just a simple open and shut case putting her sisters corrupted soul to rest.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I think I'm coming from a POV that's different from most of you, but I'm absolutely not the type who thinks any creator has any responsibility to be "conscious" or "aware" of what they make - that there are any moral or ethical considerations that have to be taken when creating. A creator only has to create.

Making so mich of it, with this humanities-department (and I say this as an English major) deep-reading cultural critique of domestic abuse is misguided and foolhardy when it's clear that this series uses violence as a means to an end or to set the stage for plot points rather than being "about" the violence as a critique or conversation instead.

Creators don't have any innate responsibility to an audience via their work, you're right, but likewise an audience has every right to dissemble, analyze, and (yes) condemn a work on the basis of its messaging. No one here is obligated to take Fusoroi no Renri at face-value, or to pretend that Mikanuji's intention is the only thing coloring the manga that we end up reading.

react to the manga as you will, it's your right - but I don't believe that "calling the creator out" or judging the series based on your personal standards of right and wrong and responsible is worth it or defensible on a wider scale.

What do you suppose is the role of critique, which is an entirely subjective pursuit? I agree that there are many types of nonconstructive and/or haranguing criticism, but tbh if we allow that authors should fuck up routinely so too should the people consuming their work.

To be very clear, I only mean with regard to the piece itself. If people were to go harass Mikanuji because of this bad plotting and tone, that'd definitively be over the line.

There is a very thin line between critiquing and self indulgent whining. I see quite a bit of both on here.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Is too late girl, she's a part of you now. You can't escape the egg!!!
Book girl was.... weird.

school used to go all the way to class H

What happened, birth rate going down that hard? or are people just "leaving" ?

My guess is some kind of a suburban Haibane Renmei situation.

I get a very similar vibe from this story, although I'm not sure this has quite the same sense of the characters working towards the light at the end of the tunnel that Haibane Renmei had. I suppose as far as the main character is concerned there is a definite sense of her gradually overcoming her inner demons and opening up to others, but I don't see it much in the other characters.

In some ways this manga has that same surreal feel of the world slipping inexorably towards it's final twilight that Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō has.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Next chapter up on Mangadex The next chapter will be the last.

Oh man, just read that. Only one more chapter just ain't right.

Ouch, this deserved more. One of my biggest complaints about manga as a medium is the often bullshit story structure that is a result of being serialized indefinitely until the fickle winds of change blow a slightly different direction and the mangaka is given 1 to 3 chapters of warning that the axe is about to fall.

I can't even count how many great series I have seen ruined by this. It makes such a huge difference when you see a story like Bloom Into You that was planned out from the start to have a finite complete story and is given enough time to end on its own terms.

I hope the mangaka is able to pilot this one into a semi elegant if unexpected emergency landing.

last edited at May 1, 2020 2:34PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

"You're the one who hurt me" Excuse me what ? You were sober enough at the start to stop it so there is playing the non consent card here. And hurt what ? Unless she was the one who cheat with your BF, i don't really understand what she hurt. Also i can't take very seriously when she is constantly biting her thumb.

I mean, Nazomi was LITERALLY blackout drunk. Even if we pretend that Nozami being blackout drunk and Shion being sober in no way invalidates her consent, it's far more than that.

Nozomi had just had her heart broken and was INCREDIBLY emotionally vulnerable. Shion absolutely took advantage of that. In the exact same way so many men have before.

Nozomi is right to feel betrayed, and yeah, she was assaulted.

Also, it's kind of refreshing to see a Yuri manga dealing with these themes.

Yup I agree!

I wouldn't go so far as to say she was blacked out drunk since she clearly remembers it and I think assault is too heavy an adjective for what happened, but other than that I too agree. Waiting for an opportunity to push sex on your friend until she is drunk and emotionally compromised is a dick move regardless of gender.

last edited at May 1, 2020 2:22PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

'There is no simple label that really accurately captures the relationship these two have. "Life partners" is probably the closest although that label is so generic and broad that it also fails to really give a proper picture of what's going on.

"Boston marriage"

Neat, that's a term I haven't come across before.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Except their relationship can be given plenty of labels. The author not wanting to doesn't mean no one else can. 'Deep bond' and 'love' are classic labels. Their actions have labels, denying reality doesn't make it so. If they are carpet munching every night doesnt mean they can sit there and say they never had sex. Not wanting to be labeled is fine but arguing that no label exists is just wrong.

But hey, at least both sides can finally agree it isn't 'yuri' because that is another rejected label you cant define their relationship as.

'Deep bond' and 'love' aren't labels. They are adjectives. For something to be a label it basically needs to be a short hand descriptive term for a common more complex collection of attributes. There is no simple label that really accurately captures the relationship these two have. "Life partners" is probably the closest although that label is so generic and broad that it also fails to really give a proper picture of what's going on. Anyway, for me to sit here and bicker about how to label them really is missing the intent of my original post which is that relationships don't need to fit into to neat little cookie cutter categories to have meaning or be valid.

last edited at Apr 29, 2020 7:08AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I think I'm slowly coming to agree with Blastaar's hypothesis.

For the record, I'm 100% with White Rose's hypothesis.

To wit: that these two have been lovers since the moment Kasumi agreed to share a bed with Sakurako (that is, chapter one) and that their relationship is fucking blatantly obvious to the Japanese fans.

The two theories aren't mutually exclusive--I think that the WR theory is essentially correct (for whatever value of 'lovers' anyone wants to assign). But Blax said it quite well:

especially with the author introducing more 'classic' couple who make all the doubter go "Why aren't the MC like that" when the characters are all like "I wish we were like them"

So my hypothesis is that the author's not trolling "us," the believers, but the "on-panel penetrative sex or it's not yuri" crowd.

I don't think the author is "trolling" anyone. She is just writing a cute atypical love story between two women that doesn't fit society's labels. I don't think the author could be any more on the nose about it than this last chapter or a few of the scenes we have had before where Kasumi and Sakurako actively discuss and ponder the nature of their relationship and specifically how it doesn't fit neatly under society's conventional labels such as best friends or girl friends etc.

I always find it funny to see the two primary camps on here arguing since I think both are completely missing the author's point. One side claims basically that these two aren't dating/lovers etc. because we never see anything physical between them beyond what could be passed off as platonic skin ship and thus they are just close friends and nothing more and the other camp which claims that they are basically fucking off screen every time the camera looks away and they are a typical lesbian couple and we just don't get to see the juicy parts.

Chapters like this last one discussing the nature of their relationship go to great lengths to hammer home the point that neither of these scenarios is correct and the deep bond and love Kasumi and Sakurako share simply doesn't fit classic labels and doesn't need to. Just because their relationship is depicted as sexless doesn't mean they are necessarily just friends and conversely it doesn't mean that they are just a typical lesbian couple who just happen to do everything sexual off screen.