Forum › Posts by Blastaar

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

When's the wedding? (The customers are all invited.)

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just vaguely curious here: is there a manga term (yes, I know this series isn’t Japanese) for this “person gets a chance to live their life over” genre, parallel to “isekai,” etc.?

Tensei means resurrection or something like that, hence all the "isekai tensei - reborn in another world". While not quite full starting over, one could consider "trying again" a tensei perhaps?

Thanks! The genres are definitely related, albeit this is “reborn in the familiar world.” I haven’t actually read many of these, but I’ve seen plenty of series blurbs about “Pathetic SOB wakes up and is back in middle school/high school, etc.”

Speaking of “rebirth,” this one is pretty fluffy for a series that starts out with the protagonist basically killing herself with alcohol poisoning. I know the plot is ostensibly drama, but the MCs’ character beats are mainly gorgeous women being adorable.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just vaguely curious here: is there a manga term (yes, I know this series isn’t Japanese) for this “person gets a chance to live their life over” genre, parallel to “isekai,” etc.?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

100%. Some authors struggle moving beyond pure fluffy romance, especially when incorporating dramatic elements into series solely focused on romance. Writing drama requires different skills than writing pure fluff.

It’s not necessarily even a matter of the skill set. An author starts out writing one kind of story with a natural endpoint, using characters with a well-developed set of behaviors, and creators often just find that it works better to conclude that story and start fresh on another one with a different focus.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

People talk about "deserve" way too much with romance, it's kinda gross ngl. Nobody "deserves" any romantic relationship, they aren't something you can earn. They are a matter of two (or more) people consenting to be with each other and clearly Fuuko does not share in these extremely negative interpretations of Yuni's character.

For many readers, the game of "who's the good one, who's the bad one?" never gets old. Yuni cheats, therefore Nanase can't also be a mediocre girlfriend, etc.

As to Yuni's "good points," she's lonely, subby, and Fuuko finds her hot. Lifelong marriages have been built on less.

last edited at Mar 22, 2024 10:20AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

However, i have, as I believe many of you have it as well, that nagging thought on the back of my head, that annoying anxious feeling in the pit of my belly, that calls the attention to the (unlikely) chance of this ending up as the so dreaded ultimate subtext and the story finishes displaying Komichi and Erika's relationship as nothing but platonic and ends with both of them older with their respective boyfriends/husbands and remain good friends "as they always were".... Just that... Really, really good..... "friends". Man, if this happens (as it happened before with other works as you all know), it'll be a gut punch by a prime gloveless Mike Tyson.

I know the story is proving this possibility wrong with every passing chapter, but still... I'm sure we all had past experiences of this happening before. Anyway... Great story, great art, great characters. As someone who is not into School life as much nowadays, this is a breath of fresh air into the genre for me. Glad i binged this.

You're not quite talking about subtext there anymore.

Subtext would be something like you knowing Erika and Akebi are dating or will end up dating based on all context that is provided, but it's not directly shown. It would not really be "up to interpretation" U-turns and general silliness like say, Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow.

You're talking about unattainable, unrealized or unrequited love ala Class S or "I missed my chance" thing, or far worse, intentional bait or writer not being able to write what they at least claim intended to do.

For me, Akebi's Sailor Uniform just seems so direct and honest in a way few manga or any other piece of fiction manage to be. It would be tremendously hard to write a bait ending for it, if author keeps opening up their characters feelings and everyday life like this. It's the kind of writing that tends to stay on course, where ever it is heading. I doubt you could experience feeling like "there is no way it would not work out like this" after it is finished, even if the ending wasn't what you'd hope for.

Maybe these are my own famous last words. ^_^

I basically agree with you, or more like I totally agree with you—this series really seems like it knows where it’s going, which is where it’s signaling it’s going.

And that certainly is in stark contrast to A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow, which kept passing up so many obvious chances to be explicit about the girls’ romance that a “ha-ha—just friends” ending became almost inevitable.

HOWEVER, this just to say that “they can’t possibly fuck this up” are among the famous-est famous last words ever. So there’s that.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Every time I reread this and come to this page, the one thought that goes through my head is that this is the perfect image of a maiden in love.

The power of boobs truly is amazing.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"A pure love between a slightly unhealthy couple." Totally.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You wanted fluffy--now that's fluffy!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Aya-rizz.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The Secret of the Princess, Usui Shio-style.

I’ll take a double helping, garçon.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not sure if a pair of MCs who are physically intimate (and professionally competent to boot) ever qualify as an Idiot Couple, but if so . . .

Absolutely, 100%. It's entirely possible to be practically smart, horny enough to sleep with each other, and still have the emotional intelligence of a drosophila. There is been great relationship progress in this chapter, but I still have little hope for the MCs at this point.

Really? I try to stay out of the prediction business, but I could easily foresee Hostile Former Classmate trying to get assy with Jiang and Li’l Tiger leaping to the defense of her de facto mate.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You keep saying this, but can you please spell out exactly what Koto said that was so horrible?

I just re-read Chapter 4, and it seems fine -- until the very last pages. "I just knew she would respond this way" and looking at a script. Really does make it seem like Koto was being deliberately manipulative of Aya's feelings.

I agree that the script is a puzzling detail, and an anomalous one—I can’t think of anything else in the story that is depicted as being a purely symbolic scene, neither a flashback nor a specific memory. Koto’s not just reading from a script either—she’s standing on a stage in a spotlight.

I think that goes back to the scene in Chapter 1 where Aya mischievously says, “I’d like to play a part, Koto. In the script you’ll write.”

Many comments here not unreasonably see Aya as being merely fragile and vulnerable (which she is in the present), but at the time of her disappearance she was definitely in the one-up position in relation to both Koto and Erika (as the object of Koto’s affection and as the block to Erika’s feelings for Koto). And Koto (also not unreasonably) is trying to negotiate feeling like the one in charge while also reverting to being a suitor for Aya’s love.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not sure if a pair of MCs who are physically intimate (and professionally competent to boot) ever qualify as an Idiot Couple, but if so . . .

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To answer your question, I don't see her forcing her to stay for sure, but I can imagine her breaking down if Aya had to leave/wanted to leave. I honestly don't see her as manipulative, or with bad intention. I just see her as an empty shell and being super dull.

I respect your opinions.
However, I also can't convince myself that she is as innocent as you said.
I can't just pretend chapter 4 doesn't exist.
What Koto did towards a 14yo kid is really horrible. That's the main reason why I have a second thought about Koto's every behavior.

You keep saying this, but can you please spell out exactly what Koto said that was so horrible?

If it was the business about being sure Aya loved the present-day Koto, you seem to be putting an extremely nasty reading on those statements that are potentially plausible, but at this point by no means the only way to understand what Koto meant.

last edited at Mar 13, 2024 7:54PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm mostly talking about the use of evidence. So far we have been shown almost nothing of Koto's interior present-day thoughts, in contrast to both Aya and Erika, where we're given substantial sequences of what they're thinking and feeling about the overall situation. (The extensive thoughts that appear as captions rather than in thought balloons are especially important for understanding those characters and their current state of mind and motivations. But we get very little of that from Koto's POV.)

Sure, there may be some potentially problematic issues for the future that we can infer from Koto's speech and actions--her inability to move on from initially losing Aya, her neediness in the present, etc. But the argument was that Koto is a "yandere manipulator" (or trickster) who has now suddenly changed from when Aya first returned, and I simply don't see any evidence for that.

Well, l think l already gave some "evidence". Looks like l have to explain further so you could understand why l see her this way.

Chapter 3 :
She choosed to stay at hometown while continually refused to see Aya. That's really weird enough to lead me to think if she's waiting something to happen.
She even took some days off from college for this. In chapter 5, her friends asked her whether her business at home be settled.

Chapter 4 :
While Koto can just bring her home without saying those horrible words. Likes she's saying goodbye and breaking up with a kid who literally has no one left except her and Erika. If I was in Aya's situation, I would fucking panic and cry on the spot.
It turns out that was just an act to make Aya confess to her.
How can't that not be manipulative?
Even before holding her hands, Koto felt the need to say "you were so keen on ignoring my first confession".
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU is my first thought. After reading chapter 8.5, things get more clear. Koto just also wanted to get some revenge for Aya refusing to respond her first confession SEVEN YEARS AGO.

Chapter 7 :
You can't buy a smart phone for a teenager just for her to find a part-time job and then tell her to quit after she really found one. It shows you actually don't want her to work but for some reasons you still acted like you support her decision.
So if Koto does persuade Aya to resign the next chapter, like "you don't have to force yourself to work" etc.
My assumption would be proved.

As I suggested, your powers of mind-reading are obviously far superior to mine.

And Koto saying, “I’m not so sure you need to commit so fast” is not even close to being the same as Koto “telling her to quit her job.” Whatever happens in future chapters, a distorted reading like that is the opposite of anything even remotely resembling “evidence.”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Do you think Koto wouldn't "suggest" Aya to quit the job?

I don't know what Koto would or wouldn't do about that--I'm not a mind-reader or a fortune teller.

It's not like I hate your opinions just because you disagreed with me.
The next chapter might reveal this. Whether my assumption is right or wrong, we'll see.

I'm mostly talking about the use of evidence. So far we have been shown almost nothing of Koto's interior present-day thoughts, in contrast to both Aya and Erika, where we're given substantial sequences of what they're thinking and feeling about the overall situation. (The extensive thoughts that appear as captions rather than in thought balloons are especially important for understanding those characters and their current state of mind and motivations. But we get very little of that from Koto's POV.)

Sure, there may be some potentially problematic issues for the future that we can infer from Koto's speech and actions--her inability to move on from initially losing Aya, her neediness in the present, etc. But the argument was that Koto is a "yandere manipulator" (or trickster) who has now suddenly changed from when Aya first returned, and I simply don't see any evidence for that.

last edited at Mar 12, 2024 1:08PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Except Aya now has a part-time job.

That just proves things are not going well as
Koto's plan.

This assumes that Koto actually has a plan for Aya to fail, an assertion for which you have presented zero evidence except for a very ambiguous, almost blank expression on this page:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/how_to_break_a_triangle_ch07#22

This whole post seems to be a lot of (at best) weakly justified inferences about Koto’s motivations.

Right, you just choose to forget she fucking pull a long face after Aya got a job interview invited by Kumagaya in chapter 7.

That alleged "long face" could just as well be a reaction to Aya using the phrase "another kid around my age," which makes Koto worried about the distance between the two of them.

Do you think Koto wouldn't "suggest" Aya to quit the job?

I don't know what Koto would or wouldn't do about that--I'm not a mind-reader or a fortune teller.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

chapter 7:bought her a smartphone and let her find a part-time job as her wish. Knowing there's no possibility she would get hired. By doing this, Aya will acknowledge she can't live without her now.)

Except Aya now has a part-time job.

This whole post seems to be a lot of (at best) weakly justified inferences about Koto’s motivations.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I kinda can’t wait to see what Erika is going to do next Tanabata.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really don't think Mitsuki is that dense, she's just got major self esteem issues. Remember what she thought the fallout would be if she told Aya who she was at the beginning of the comic? She's been slowly coming out of her shell but you can tell from how she reacted to Aya saying Mitsuki should publicize her song that she still thinks very negatively, especially when she's imagining how other people will react to her.

The point is that "density" = signals are being sent that she's not receiving or that she's misinterpreting, whatever the underlying psychological reason.

last edited at Mar 11, 2024 9:23PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So I rest my case: it's not that abnormal that there was not any more ruckus or inquiries about her coming back, given the cultural background of Japan and their reluctance to infringe on privacy of people. She's an adult, case closed.

I'm so glad there are people like you and Gabinomicon who get it.
There's a crowd out there who don't get it at all. Even tho we explained it so many times.

Sure, we get that this is a story based on magic where everyone just ignores the magic. No need to congratulate yourself about it.

Lol well that's certainly not what I was talking about. I was just baffled by people arguing over if she's 14 or if she's 21 when the fact that she's both depending on the context is basically the whole plot of the manga right now.

Sorry I misunderstood--the "why wasn't there more of an inquiry?" issue is what the person you quoted was discussing.

I think you're right--the "14 but also 21" situation is simply what the author was trying to set up, and the how of it, and the wider response to how it happened, are (currently) of negligible interest to them.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So I rest my case: it's not that abnormal that there was not any more ruckus or inquiries about her coming back, given the cultural background of Japan and their reluctance to infringe on privacy of people. She's an adult, case closed.

I'm so glad there are people like you and Gabinomicon who get it.
There's a crowd out there who don't get it at all. Even tho we explained it so many times.

Sure, we get that this is a story based on magic where everyone just ignores the magic. No need to congratulate yourself about it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not to mention that Koga is so dense that even if Aya took out a billboard that said, “I, Aya, have romantic feelings toward Mitsuki. Also, FYI, two girls can have sex, and I want to have it with her,” Mitsuki would find a way to think it meant something else.

"Are those song lyrics? They sound sick! Can I use them in my next song?"

Lol--exactly.

With Mitsuki then turned away hunched over her guitar and Aya spluttering and pointing at the billboard in the background. (But I adore them both.)

last edited at Mar 11, 2024 9:59AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Dunno why people are thinking Aya does not realize what her feelings for Mitsuki are, the "Can I think Koga-san likes me? No, no way, way, no way, but still" on page 4 pretty unambiguously conveys she's thrilled at the idea of Mitsuki liking her romantically and is trying not to get her hopes up while still being very excited at the thought regardless. Aya knows what she's feeling and what she wants, lol. She'd kinda given up on Mitsuki liking her back after the big romantic rock performance that climaxed with "will you be my friend" but now she's over the moon at the thought that things might move in that direction instead of continuing platonically.
If anyone doesn't fully realize what she's feeling yet, it's Mitsuki. But we're getting some major hints of evolution from her now :3

People have just had bad experiences with manga in the past. What seems obviously the case has sometimes not mattered, so some probably want really explicit confirmation before getting their hopes up.

I would say that in my case at least it’s far less about the fear of yuri-baiting than it is the fact that this series requires a lot of inferences about exactly what the characters are feeling at any given time and what they understand about their own feelings and the feelings of others—the whole series is based on a pretty big (and fairly extended) misunderstanding, after all.

Not to mention that Koga is so dense that even if Aya took out a billboard that said, “I, Aya, have romantic feelings toward Mitsuki. Also, FYI, two girls can have sex, and I want to have it with her,” Mitsuki would find a way to think it meant something else.