Forum › Posts by Blastaar

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

By all means, do go on . . .

Blastaar
Citrus + discussion 10 Jan 07:00
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So, critics fail to perceive the coherence of the story and the consistency of its characterizations because they’re not Asian, not female, not conservative.

Critics also fail to understand the way the story is deeply rooted in Japanese cultural conventions about arranged marriage even though the resolution of the story is the Aihara family—highly conservative, deeply traditional, so Japanese-that-Western-readers-fail-to-understand-the-story—staging a big full-scale lesbian white wedding which is so far removed from anything in actual Japanese culture as to be beyond fantasy.

Duly noted.

Blastaar
Citrus + discussion 08 Jan 08:25
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

in the case of Citrus most of the complexity just feels like bad writing and unnecessary convoluting of the story by the author due to a lack of good ideas how to drive the story forward.

You are by no means alone in that fairly obvious evaluation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Interesting that there are people here who read a story about body dysmorphia and say, “oh, that’s so cute, I love that”.

There are others who read this story about body dysmorphia and say, “wow, that’s fucked up”.

Everyone is entitled to their reaction to the portrayal of body dysmorphia. Some people enjoy it, that says a lot about them as a person. Others do not enjoy it, and that also says a lot about them as a person.

Apparently there are people who feel free to make up their own definition of "body dysmorphia."

Having participated in therapy sessions with a family member where the possibility of a "body dysmorphia" diagnosis came up, what's portrayed in this story is light-years away from a real-life case of body dysmorphia.

last edited at Jan 6, 2021 10:51AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To say, "the thing done in this story, if done differently or in a different context, could be bad in real life" is to say very little.

Making a change to one's entire appearance based solely on the thought that a crush wouldn't like you any other way is simply unhealthy. Full stop.

or

"The thing done in this story, when done exactly as it was in this story, is bad in the story and in real life."

And the bad consequences demonstrated in the story (as opposed to readers who feel "this is is bad') are what, exactly?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Personally, I've always disliked the 'let me change everything about myself to suit someone else's tastes' trope.

That's the point, though--it's a trope. Like any other trope, it can be deployed in a variety of ways and in disparate contexts. Any Dynasty reader can probably name a dozen series with the "makeover" theme off the top of their heads.

To say, "the thing done in this story, if done differently or in a different context, could be bad in real life" is to say very little.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And let’s take this to it’s logical conclusion and say that butch girls can and should aspire to completely transforming themselves to appear more femme because, hey, it’s “cute”.

Let’s not do that because that’s not the “logical conclusion” but the very definition of reductio ad absurdum.

Look, if you want to wax self-righteous about how fictional romance stories shouldn’t be taken as handbooks for real-life behavior, knock yourself out. Assuming any rational person believes that they are.

But let’s not pretend you’re saying anything of particular relevance to this story.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really don't like it when Naoko Kodama does wholesome stuff... lol :D I would have expected at least some more craziness for example related to the sisters, but I guess everybody gets old and starts to feel all fuzzy inside

She’s specifically said (maybe in the the tank to Fake Married My Junior) that throughout her career sometimes she likes to do dark stories and sometimes sweet ones—but always with big boobs.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

here we go again with 'the cat turning human' thing
but this one is extra cute and accurate, i'll admit it

Haven’t there been at least two other “I have this cat that turned into a cute girl and I don’t know why” stories here?

I mean besides the storyworlds where cat-girls are a thing. . .

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

...... did this get lewder?

This is just repeating a point that I’ve made before, but I really do think this series is notable for the fact that its fairly considerable lewdness is almost entirely conceptual rather than visual—while it occasionally skirts the edges of visual ecchi (like with Koguma and Omichi in their little sub outfits), it scrupulously avoids the standard gratuitous ecchi upskirt and sideboob, etc. shots.

Also as has been mentioned before, a weirdly parallel series, albeit with a much more aware “good girl” protagonist, a more overtly perverted delinquent, and much more forthright sexual content is Yuugai Shitei Doukyuusei (“Harmful Designated Classmate”), with a new chapter available on Mangadex. The basic character dynamic is not at all dissimilar, though.

Yuugai Shitei Doukyuusei is a great comparison. I think a key difference is that Miyakonojou doesn't strike me as being much of a glass cannon in the same way as Hino does. If either lead genuinely went for it, I think Hino would crumble or maybe run away, whereas Miyakonojou would accept everything and continue seeing how much she can get away with.

I agree, but I also think that Hino’s apparent cluelessness about the motivations for and the effects on Koguma of her own extreme behavior makes her one of the more intriguing recent comedic yuri characters.

Miyakonojou seems to be truly damaged, or maybe just deeply in thrall to a hyperactive libido. There have been some faint clues about a possible dark backstory for Hino’s deadpan affect, but what her long-term agenda, if any, might be still seems to be totally up in the air.

Two very funny series, at any rate.

last edited at Jan 4, 2021 12:09PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My point with the "problematic" angle was really only if she thought there was no other way her crush would like her other than to change herself - which actually does seem to be the case. Experimenting with looks or behaviors is fine if it's of your own volition, but doing it solely because you think you won't be accepted for who you are can lead to even more problems later in life with identity and codependency issues. "She won't love me if I'm not a prince" seems pretty clear that she's convinced her crush would have zero interest in her otherwise. I'm sure this thought isn't actually true since this is a sweet story, but it is affecting her decisions and can't be easily dismissed as irrelevant.

No, your basic point is certainly right. But I think it’s also important that in adolescence “who you are” is a concept that’s inherently in flux, and it’s not so easy (or sometimes even necessary) to parse out the difference between changes “of your volition” and changes made due to the expectations of others.

I can think of a couple of classmates who needed (and now that I think of it, one of them later made) a significant upgrade in personal hygiene in order to meet “the expectations of others.”

I know there have been at least three or four other “reluctant prince” stories on Dynasty, but I have not the brainpower at the moment to recall which ones they are.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

...... did this get lewder?

This is just repeating a point that I’ve made before, but I really do think this series is notable for the fact that its fairly considerable lewdness is almost entirely conceptual rather than visual—while it occasionally skirts the edges of visual ecchi (like with Koguma and Omichi in their little sub outfits), it scrupulously avoids the standard gratuitous ecchi upskirt and sideboob, etc. shots.

Also as has been mentioned before, a weirdly parallel series, albeit with a much more aware “good girl” protagonist, a more overtly perverted delinquent, and much more forthright sexual content is Yuugai Shitei Doukyuusei (“Harmful Designated Classmate”), with a new chapter available on Mangadex. The basic character dynamic is not at all dissimilar, though.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s not like she’s cutting herself or becoming a heroin addict in order to impress her crush.

I really want to know what kind of person would be impressed by either of those things

I think you missed the point entirely. Blastaar will correct me if I am wrong, but what he was likely driving at was that she is not doing anything harmful or even that radical to herself, and thus her choices hardly merit to be called "problematic". Getting a haircut is completely normal, and adopting a moderate workout regimen is actually beneficial for her health.

Bingo. And thanks.

And furthermore, the implicit idea in the term “problematic” that a person should “be who they are” rather than change themselves according to the standards of others is undercut (to some extent) by the fact that one major job of teenagers is to find out “who they are,” which inevitably entails experimentation with style, personal affect, etc.

The original invocation of “body dysmorphia” ignored the fundamental idea behind that concept: that the dysmorphic person finds that their attitude toward their body or physical features causes them distress and hinders their functioning in the world.

I doubt that I’m unique in being able to think off the top of my head of a half dozen people, in high school and later, who undertook major makeovers (physical and otherwise) and seemed considerably happier for it. And, to be sure, a couple who changed for the worse (hence my cutting and addiction examples).

To return to the story, we’ve seen more than one example of yuri stories where girls felt forced into the “prince” role in high school because of their physique or natural affect; this may turn out to be one of those. And there is a somewhat restricting attitude about gender roles when girls are praised for being “manly,” etc. But I don’t think the concept of “body dysmorphia” gets us anywhere near what’s happening in this story, at least so far.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Them’s some thirsty lesbians right there.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It sounds exceedingly normal to me. How many yuri stories feature adolescent characters changing their look, style, or affect to match up with the style or preferences of the person they like?

Yes, people do all sorts of things that they wouldn't ordinarily do in order to make their object of affection notice them, and society does consider it normal. That doesn't change how problematic some of these things can be, especially when they're related to superficial things like appearance.

“Can be problematic” (or, depending on the particular situation, can actually be helpful to a person’s self-esteem, whether the crush responds positively or not) is, as you said, a hell of a long way from “100% fucked-up body dysmorphia.”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s not like she’s cutting herself or becoming a heroin addict in order to impress her crush.

I really want to know what kind of person would be impressed by either of those things

People who are into cutting or are heroin addicts.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, a haircut and deciding to get fit is pretty far off from actual body dysmorphia. That being said, only doing it because you think the person you like will only appreciate you afterward is rather problematic.

It sounds exceedingly normal to me. How many yuri stories feature adolescent characters changing their look, style, or affect to match up with the style or preferences of the person they like?

Blastaar
Melon Melon discussion 03 Jan 18:53
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In the second, the user actively chose to engage with content they knew - or at the least, had a good indication - they would dislike, and then chose to share their dislike of said content with other users who do not share their sensibilities. This pretty neatly falls under Rule 1, "don't be a jerk." Everyone on the site should be free to engage with the labeled content they enjoy without having to argue the very premise of said content existing.

The responses to stories with a “cheating” tag are the ones that get to me, for some reason—it’s not that I “like” or “am OK” with real-life people cheating, but cheating can certainly be part of an interesting story.

The parade of “cheaters are the worst—why does this story even exist!!?” posts always strike me like the comment-thread equivalent of Chinatsu’s drawings in Yuru Yuri, only without the humorous context.

And then there’s age-gap and student-teacher . . .

Blastaar
Melon Melon discussion 03 Jan 16:14
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While some distinction does seem worth making, I can only anticipate Not Lolicon becoming a chronically disputed tag.

While the primary functions of tags are as sorting mechanisms/trigger warnings, ideally they should also serve to head off comment threads descending into shitshows. As some comments in this thread demonstrate, even the most anodyne onee-loli stories can’t seem to escape the inevitable moralistic posturing.

I spot one moralizing commentator. In general, we won't be tolerating people who can't read tags in the future, hopefully drawing down on the need you describe. This thread gets an exception since Wholesome and Lolicon are a bit of a unique mix.

I don't think Not Lolicon is going to be the tag. I'm also not super interested in tags like Child that can be easily misconstrued as "I spotted a kid, so the tag must fit." This is lower on my priority list right now, but this thread has been a useful one nonetheless.

Hey, I was just a green recruit in the Yuri vs Subtext Wars, lost some good friends at the Siege of Itou Hachi.

[thousand-yard stare]

Happy Sugar Life—I was there, man.

I just . . . want the killing to stop . . .

Blastaar
Melon Melon discussion 03 Jan 15:35
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, the works under lolicon simultaneously include the most wholesome and the most paedophilic stuff on this site, so creating a Not Lolicon tag would really help the people looking for the former and also cut down from the drama from betrayed expectations.

While some distinction does seem worth making, I can only anticipate Not Lolicon becoming a chronically disputed tag.

While the primary functions of tags are as sorting mechanisms/trigger warnings, ideally they should also serve to head off comment threads descending into shitshows. As some comments in this thread demonstrate, even the most anodyne onee-loli stories can’t seem to escape the inevitable moralistic posturing.

last edited at Jan 3, 2021 3:35PM

Blastaar
Melon Melon discussion 03 Jan 14:41
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

2021 goals: disaggregate the Loli from Lolicon

Let's be honest here. Where there's the one, there's usually the other, even if only on the other side of the screen...

Speak for yourself.

Blastaar
Melon Melon discussion 02 Jan 17:23
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Takemiya Jin--yay!

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

awww so cute as usual, but object of one-sided love? ruh roh

Instead of real romantic rivals, it could just be the typical bunch of fangirls in the background going “kyaa!”

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I really liked this series. It was cute, funny and the character were well developed. Moreover there was the right amount of romance to keep the reader hooked. A big thank you for the team who worked on this!

Yeah, this was a good one. Can’t decide if it was a mix of the fresh and familiar, or if it made the familiar seem fresh.

So I’d better read it again.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

People being unreasonably angry at manga characters: the thread.

You get money for the most vitriolic self-righteous moralistic condemnation of the fictional behavior of imaginary people.

I mean, you must, right? Has to be a pretty tidy sum, too . . .