Forum › Posts by Koveras

Koveras
joined Jul 15, 2016

Sigh. Oh well. Let's see whether there's some actual plot at some point.

Isn't the plot Dolores and Maria have to team up in order to achieve their own goals of exterminating all vampires and finding her sister, respectively?

ya

I am partial to plots where badass people team up to advance their respective clearly-defined goals.

joined Jul 15, 2016

Oh shit, this is hilarious! I can't believe how pure this roommate is. And the older sister couldn't be more casual about the whole situation.

I bet she knew exactly what kind of people those two are and was looking forward to the hijinx.

Koveras
joined Jul 15, 2016

That that, folks, is why you should always check the tags before reading the next chapter of anything. :-/

Koveras
SHY discussion 20 Jul 11:45
joined Jul 15, 2016

Is it because the car didn't have a dashcam?

joined Jul 15, 2016

And that's how Communism starts. :-)

joined Jul 15, 2016

Oh, this is the same author as Ayame 14. She definitely pushes into more taboo topics like polyamory, masturbation, and now prostitution. I think that's a good thing though. The whole lesbian experience is more than just two girls who meet and fall in love and the manga ends when they get together. Sure, not EVERY lesbian sleeps around or does all that, but it is nice to see people from all walks of life be represented.

This is exactly why I respect Shuninta Amano so much. She doesn't just deconstruct Story A, she flies right past it and doesn't even slow down to look back at it as it blows up in her wake.

last edited at Jul 10, 2020 8:23AM

joined Jul 15, 2016

Either Pyoko is lying through her teeth or the crows in that neighbourhood are metal as fuck

i have heard Japanese crows are very large and aggressive compared to other crows

Maybe they live near Yharnam?

Koveras
SHY discussion 01 Jul 08:08
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hmmm, would the Lizard or Not lizard tag be more appropriate for this chapter?

joined Jul 15, 2016

"If you read this manga your intestinal yuri bacteria will be more effective in fighting your het bacteria"

SOLD.

(Wait, do I even have a het bacteria?)

I have this mental image of a bacterium kabedoning another bacterium against a cell wall...

Ah, I see you are a person of culture, as well. :-)

joined Jul 15, 2016

Okada and Sumire apply different relational models to doing household chores: Okada believes they are in Equality Matching, while Sumire clearly sees it as Communal Sharing (in fact, this is Fiske's textbook example of it). That's why you must keep talking about your relationships. :-)

joined Jul 15, 2016

Considering how inhibited or disinterested in intimacy many Japanese are these days, alcohol is pretty helpful for moving things along.

I mean it shouldn’t help with disinterest, alcohol isn’t inherently an aphrodisiac

It does help with inhibitions, though. Knocks your self-control right out of your head, if you do it right.

joined Jul 15, 2016

First time I've actually read anything by this author, and is it just me, or is their drawing style really similar to Nakatani Nio's?

Koveras
Semelparous discussion 19 May 04:33
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yup, lots of heavy foreshadowing in the latest chapter... My current prediction: the kaiju of the next mission is linked to one of the girls Yorino hanged out with this chapter (which is one of the two is still up in the air, tho), and her rival/admirer will probs be the one to deliver the final blow. The next mission will be against a humanoid kaiju, and either the rival girl or her partner will sacrifice herself to let the mains kill it. A much less likely, but even more messed up idea is that the humanoid kaiju will be linked to the other girl from this chapter, hell-bent on metaphysical revenge.

last edited at May 19, 2020 4:34AM

Koveras
SHY discussion 15 May 09:37
joined Jul 15, 2016

How far have we come that we want to protecc the drunkard from bulli?

MAAATE! I was livid he put out a still smokable durry into that full a bottle of vodka, he is the true villain in this manga! Spirits looked gutted afterwards too shakes fist angrily

I guess the national stereotypes this manga associates with the US is moral grandstanding and meddling in other's private vices. :D

last edited at May 15, 2020 9:37AM

Koveras
joined Jul 15, 2016

Just out of idle curiosity, is it even possible to speak when your nose and cheeks are sliced open like what Meg does to that dude during the robbery?

If this doesn't end with Kay chasing Meg down an airport runway while wearing rubber masks of former Japanese Prime Ministers I'm going to be very disappointed.

Waiting for the inevitable scene of her shooting her gun in the air.

And yelling, don't forget the yelling.

Koveras
Semelparous discussion 27 Apr 02:26
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ lol. This is like, the fanciest, most roundabout way to say "Ogino Jun rips other stuff off and adds T&A."

Seriously, this isn't that deep. There's nothing complex or layered going on here. That's not a criticism, BTW - for every trend in art or culture there are innovators and imitators, and imitation of itself is not a failure. OJ isn't some savant artiste creating a masterpiece out of a broad swath of inspiration. He's a good mangaka who can spot a trend and who likes to draw tits. Appreciate it for what it is, there's no need to pretend this is high art.

If you only sort creative works into high art and low-brow entertainment, then sure, OJ's manga clearly falls into the latter. I just happen to see a few more categories in-between, ones that can be intellectually engaging without "pretending it is high art". Clearly, the number of posts theorizing about the setting and the story above indicate that this manga is just that kind of geeky entertainment, but you are, of course, entitled to your own opinions on it. :-)

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 2:32AM

Koveras
Semelparous discussion 26 Apr 15:52
joined Jul 15, 2016

It is interesting that people keep bringing up so many different older stories this one draws from (Attack on Titan, World Trigger, Bleach, even Pacific Rim and Bokurano, and now Astral Chain), and yet this very number attests to the fact that this Semelparous is not a simple derivative work but a truly post-modernist one that deliberately invokes existing texts to create a new meaning. Gamma was exactly the same way, but its reference pool was an order of magnitude larger, drawing from entire genres (magical girl, super sentai, superhero comics). As an author, Ogino Jun fascinates me by seemingly combining a deep critical and analytical understanding of complex source material and a completely irreverent indulgence of physics-defying boobs and loli hentai.

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 3:53PM

joined Jul 15, 2016

I really loved that series, back when it was on going, and it's always been a bit disappointing that the author hasn't really done anything new since finishing it.

I wonder what happened to him. His blog, where he was last spotted posting doujins, has been deleted, apparently...

Koveras
Semelparous discussion 24 Apr 06:45
joined Jul 15, 2016

Plot twist: The original one-shot took place in the parallel world, but Haruka and Youko are partially swapped there. In other words, in the parallel world, Haruka was their sempai and got killed off-screen, while Youko is the childhood friend who survived.

joined Jul 15, 2016

Hina is actually a KGB sleeper agent

I see what you did there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Koveras
Semelparous discussion 22 Apr 03:50
joined Jul 15, 2016

New quasi-superhero series from Ogino Jun? Sign me the heck on.

To everyone complaining how the author "ruined" the original doujin, relax. The original doujin is still there for you to enjoy. This is an alternate timeline in the same setting, and the author is free to write it however he likes. From where I am standing, y'all are just miffed that you didn't get a series based on the premise you liked more -- which I am sorry for, but please let us enjoy the new, edgier timeline from now on.

Koveras
Chandelier discussion 10 Apr 02:43
joined Jul 15, 2016

The story is a less over-the-top version of Rooftop Miracle, one of my faves...

This serves as a good reminder that you should ask someone if something is wrong when it looks like there is and listen to what they have to say.

That's a good piece of advice, except that you don't always have the mental energy and capacity to pay attention to others when you are going through serious issues yourself. While it has worked out for the MCs in this case, fellow suicidal individuals are rarely good company when you're contemplating killing yourself. That's why hotlines exist...

Koveras
SHY discussion 29 Mar 12:45
joined Jul 15, 2016

I gotta admit, I did not expect the story to take this turn. Not unwelcome, just unexpected.

last edited at Mar 29, 2020 12:45PM

Koveras
SHY discussion 22 Mar 11:08
joined Jul 15, 2016

I'm just gonna go ahead and add that reporter to the Shy X everyone ship.

I just realized that this series a stealth sequel to Social Anxiety vs Yuri. :o

joined Jul 15, 2016

Damn, forcing your slave to sleep on a Facebook cat emoji pillow. That’s got to be a lot worse than the implied forced coprophagia/piss drinking.

What? Where,why? I thought she just carried her to the toilet and let her do her stuff, if Kaede is "her own body" she'd not need to eat Miss's waste...right?

I think the implication was that Kaede reacted in an instinctive and immediate withdrawal because her previous owners made her do all those things. It took her a moment to realize that Fuuka, with her lack of mobility, has obviously meant it in a different way.

last edited at Mar 11, 2020 1:52PM