Forum › Posts by ronkytonk

ronkytonk
20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

People are really convinced Erika is the bad person here. I personally don't see it, and for me, the claims all feel like they're reaching (aside from maybe she wished Aya away and obviously didn't think it would come true).

Aya is doing really well considering it all! Koto is tiresome. Everyone is in strange positions here. Say what you want about Erika, but she's actually doing things regardless of her motivation. Aya is being cooperative and meeting people from her past head-on. Koto is avoiding it all. It's hard, but especially with how everyone else is doing, I really don't have patienice for her.

ronkytonk
20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

I just want Erika to have a girlfriend, okay

And to solve the mystery or whatever

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

At first I liked a lot this title but I think that's more than enough tease already, I would to see real hints of mutual interest with yuri vibes coming from Koga, it feels stuck and too much one sided since several previous chapters, I hope this gets a really change in the narrative because it's getting boring and predictable.

definitely agree. i've felt that way for a while now, and i think the 4-page format is showing its limitations for how much is going on in the story. each chapter has to be self-contained to a degree while still advancing the plot and that's really holding progression back. there's no room to breathe and each page feels claustrophobic as a result. i used to get excited for this one but now it feels business-as-usual.

Totally get where you're coming from. It helps that I don't really expect much development. Then it feels like a cute thing I get to squee over for a little every week before moving on with life lol

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

I wasn't ready to be hurt like that first thing in the morning

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

TEAM SENSEIIIII OWWWWW

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Love a good gay panic

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

No story this week, Sensei needed a break but said there will be a new one next week.

There's a great image on Instagram though.

The comment I was looking for. Thank you!

Can I trouble you for her Insta handle?

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

we're getting the beach episode

Class trip arc, beach episode always the best

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

I

~love~

this

shit

We'll continue to work on chapter 5 (which is the last chapter of Volume 1) and chapter 6, and hope everyone will be still here for the ride!

Thank you so much for bringing us this wonderfully angsty content. I look forward to more!

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Kinda hoping there is no endgame here. I'm sure if it went that way, whomever she wound up with would be super wholesome and great, but I'm actually really into her dynamics with all these different girls. Kurohime didn't really stand out at all to me before, but this latest chapter was pretty great. Please make me root for everyone.

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

UNLESS! Unless Kurumi goes back there, slaps Ruriko back and they have the most aggressive, passionate, and sleazy sex imaginable. If that's the goal then it's fine.

Yes please?? Lol

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Holy hell

Sheesh that really was something else. I don't recall reading something uncensored here before

I don't think I've seen anything else totally uncensored on here, either, but like... not mad...

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Damn everyone who left an Ayaka x Risa comment must be reeling right now lol

This was definitely done in a "let's do it to say we did it" type way rather than giving it much effort. I've been cheering for Risa but pushing Ayaka to date her was a weird move (even if she said she wouldn't play nice, doesn't mean she has to go 0 to 100).

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

STAN

RISA

ronkytonk
20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

lesbians stay winning

Dynasty Reader: Lesbians Stay Winning

last edited at Jun 13, 2023 1:59AM

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

I read the raw of chapter 5 and, without discussing spoilers, I think it's mostly consistent with my interpretation.

Could you please spoil it for me, if possible? (with spoiler tags ofc)

Chapter 5 is...sort of a pseudo flashback chapter? It's framed around Fuyuki talking to the blonde senpai about Eri. According to Fuyuki, Eri is a little "selfish" and bad at "reading the mood" (basically means she has bad social manners) and so had trouble making friends. This came to a head in middle school, when Eri was confessed to by a female friend she finally managed to make; Eri turned her down, and apparently a (false, according to Fuyuki) rumor spread that Eri said something homophobic in the process, leading to her getting bullied. Later, in high school, Eri had a breakdown, asked if Fuyuki "likes" her (as you may know, "suki" in Japanese can mean both "like" and "love"), then begged Fuyuki not to betray her and to "always be my friend." Fuyuki says that she used to rely on Eri when they were kids, but now Eri is the one who relies on her.

So the major issue in using this chapter to draw conclusions about Eri is that it's all from Fuyuki's point of view, cobbled together from stuff Eri told her years later and Fuyuki's own speculations (which are almost certainly colored by the pride she feels at being Eri's only friend whom she relies on). While we do get to see certain scenes from Eri's past visualized, several key moments are not shown -- most notably, we don't actually see Eri rejecting her friend, so we don't actually know if Eri really did (inadvertently?) say something homophobic or not. We never once see inside Eri's head. The major upshot of the chapter, to me, is actually about Fuyuki; the lesson she took from Eri's past is that if she confesses her feelings, she'd destroy their friendship. But we don't know if that's how Eri sees things. That's why I think the chapter is consistent with a number of different interpretations of Eri's character.

Edit: I wrote this before I saw Kazu-kun's post. My only disagreement with their post is I don't necessarily think that Eri is using Fuyuki as an "emotional crutch." There's probably some codependency there for sure, but we can't completely trust Fuyuki's view of the situation because she clearly takes a lot of pride in viewing Eri as relying on her; in other words, she has a bias toward viewing Eri as this sort of weak damsel who needs protection and coddling. We can't know the full story until we get a chapter from Eri's point of view.

Thank you for spoiling this lol. Up until this chapter, I was a little ambivalent about this series. Now seeing the reaction to the senpai, I'm like, MUST KNOW MORE

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

This is the kind of quality angst story that I am so here for. The first two chapters were good, but I love when the protagonist is also at least a little toxic instead of just being a victim wallowing in their own suffering.

Thisssss. Don't just wallow, girl. Hook up with senpai. She cute.

I gotta say, Eri is my favorite character in this manga. It's fascinating to me how she hasn't really done anything wrong, but the story is framed to encourage the audience to hate her because Fuyuki is the protagonist and everything Eri's done -- perhaps most especially the nice things she's done -- have hurt Fuyuki deeply.

Ughhhh you make a great point here. I've been reading this manga so far with the mindset of "Eri can take a long walk off a short dock", but she hasn't actually done anything intentionally hurtful. In fact, she has shown she's worried about Fuyuki's reaction to her having a boyfriend (at least recently--seems like in the flashbacks in previous chapters, she had no qualms sharing about her boyfriends). But the author does a great job of making me hate her anyway lol.

What I find most interesting about Eri, though, is how emotionally intuitive she is in (seemingly) almost all areas. She knew Fuyuki liked the movie the other club member was trashing; she instantly noticed that Kurosawa was more than just Fuyuki's senpai; and I'm pretty sure she also knows Kyou's in love with Fuyuki and not her. Which all raises the question...does she really not know that Fuyuki's been in love with her since forever? Does she really not see how much she's been hurting Fuyuki?

What makes you think Kyou really likes Fuyuki and that Eri knows it? I've only seen a couple small things (Eri saying he's soft with her, him inviting Fuyuki to join the film club), and ultimately, he asked out Eri. Just curious.

Here's my guess. The story is structured to make you think Eri is some evil manipulator -- even Kurosawa seems to believe this -- but I don't think so. I think the fundamental irony of Eri is that she understands others very well but she understands herself not at all. She's terrified to face the prospect that Fuyuki loves her because it would mean she'd have to admit to her own love too. So she lies to herself, pretends like she doesn't see it, forces herself to take Fuyuki's words at face value, because admitting to the truth would result in a flood of guilt, shame, and fear she's not able to hold up against.

Agreed, though I tend not to sympathize with characters like this. Just be gay lol.

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

I haven't read chapter 18 yet but I'm HERE TO SCREAM IN ANTICIPATION AHHHHHHH

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

[inhales]

[screams]

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Yuu and I, who you observed being really gay with each other, are dating.

*shocked pikachu*

Right, I was like, "Is this news?"

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Accept the gay intrusive thoughts, they are here to help you

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

No matter whether the girl was actually creppy or not, I think we can all agree that it's great that they celebrated the anniversary with three cakes rather than one cup.

Stop that lmao

ronkytonk
20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Before I read this last chapter, just want to say this manga has been a blast. So refreshing and fun, and I also love the tidbits of real life places added in. There is just something really comforting about this series, and we don't even know the protagonists names. Thank you, knight heron! I'll miss this!

Edit after reading:
That "no" to the stay at home wife comment hurt so badly ahaha... ha... But the author has confirmed it was yuri, so yuri it is! That was a nice ending, and I look forward to the bonus chapter, any future content with these two, and my English copy of the first volume arriving this week so I can relive it from the beginning.

last edited at Jan 2, 2023 12:38AM

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

Aa, seishun~

Gotta say, I love a letterman jacket. Go off, Aya. See you in that flannel, too, Mitsuki ;)

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

GOOD CHAPTER

I'm seeing in the comments that Aya doesn't quite use the word 'crush', but her behavior is pretty gay anyway. Here for it

Also here for an idiot couple tag

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 12:36PM