Forum › Posts by KingCrimson

KingCrimson
Gamma discussion 16 Aug 00:19
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

One of these things is not like the others~
One of these things just doesn't belong~

Jingle All the Way

Well, not really. Considering the other movies on Jun's list, it makes perfect sense. But still.

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Next time on Maid Dragon Ball Z...

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

This is too goddamn cute.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

So that was hilarious.

Some people really, really need to lighten up.

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

The milk is a lie.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

What beautiful idiocy. Akira switching in the plastic bag, Sae dumping the d-bag with a precision F-bomb strike, Hitsugi spinning in her chair, and the idiot cadre sleeping in front of Akira and Sae's door like a bunch of puppies...

I can't really express how much I love this manga.

KingCrimson
Guidebook discussion 12 May 02:55
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Hah. Reading this now, it feels close to what it would be like if Hitsugi and Akira from Hayate x Blade ever got into a relationship. There are shades of Hitsugi in how she wrote Michiru, and the same goes for Akira and Haruka.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Oh man. All the chills.

I don't think this is over yet. At least, I hope it isn't because I'm pulling hard for Hitsugi. The one thing that gives me hope is that Hitsugi is in the middle of swinging her sword back, looking like she's still getting ready to strike. I think she knew she wouldn't be able to parry Akira's attack in time, and so she did the only thing she could to survive: deflect Akira's sword with that big, stubborn, idiotic head of hers. I just feels like the thing she'd do.

Um, to me it looks like she succesfully parried but could only do it from one armd, hence why her arm got throw to her side. You can see she puts her sword up in the air in the big ass panel on the top of page. That arm is probably in a world of hurt, a downward strike like this with 2 hands against one is like... The world fell down on you suddenly.

Honestly if this was anyone else I would say this cliffhanger is a defenitive loss, but then again it's Hitsugi so...

The sword at the top of the page is Akira's. Akira is right-handed and has her dominant hand near the hilt, while Hitsugi fights left-handed and holds her sword near the pommel.

Judging from how Hitsugi still has her sword by her side on the previous page, it looks like she doesn't even try to use her sword to defend herself.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Oh man. All the chills.

I don't think this is over yet. At least, I hope it isn't because I'm pulling hard for Hitsugi. The one thing that gives me hope is that Hitsugi is in the middle of swinging her sword back, looking like she's still getting ready to strike. I think she knew she wouldn't be able to parry Akira's attack in time, and so she did the only thing she could to survive: deflect Akira's sword with that big, stubborn, idiotic head of hers. I just feels like the thing she'd do.

That said, I wouldn't mind if Akira won, as long as her eyes were opened, even just a little. I do love her, too.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

It's not about "shit fixing itself." It's about using everything in your power to stack the deck in your favour, or to increase the odds of good things happening. Bad things happen; this is a reality. Good things happen; this is also a reality. What happens as a consequence of an action can be dealt with thereafter, as can the consequence of that, and the consequence of that. Each and every one of us is a fractional piece of a picture that is billions of souls wide; what someone does will affect another. Not everyone gets what they want--not everyone can--but it must not stop them from trying. Fight until you win, fight until you lose, fight until you die; run until you can't run, hide until you can't hide, escape until you can't escape. Ask for help, plead for help, beg for help. It's about expending yourself for what you believe in, for what you want, for who you want, and to survive. Sometimes you need a whole lotta luck, and sometimes you don't. What's important is to start heading in that direction. This is the kind of attitude that Hitsugi embodies. It's the kind of attitude that I wish I was strong enough to live every day.

In all of human history, there has been nothing stronger than "an idea." Ideas fuel the engine, and attitudes floor the pedal. For good or ill, everything depended on people using their power to make things happen in order to assert what they believe in. They didn't do it alone; they had so many others to help them in their causes, not to mention luck. Sometimes the change is instant, sometimes it's gradual, but it all depends on people starting it. People fail, people succeed, people continue, people stop and are stopped. Outcomes can't be controlled, but a person's individual input can, and this is the key to Hitsugi's attitude. Put everything you can in trying to do something, and whatever happens afterwards, good or bad or whatever else, will happen. It's as she tells Shizuku after she loses: "Everything over from the beginning."

I don't believe in suspension of disbelief, because I don't believe there's anything in fiction to disbelieve in. As long as it doesn't break the laws of physics (whatever those may be), fiction and reality are entirely interchangeable. There are billions of people alive today, billions of people alive before, and billions of people to come; if it can be thought of, it can happen. It there is a way of acting, it will be acted. If there is a way of being, it will be. All a story is is a happenstance of interesting things, whether that story is "real" or "fiction." All that matters in a story are the ideas and feelings that it gives its audience.

(It's cool, ranting and discussing things are fun)

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

No. As it stands in this manga right now, Hitsugi probably understands loss at least as much as, and likely more than, any other main character. She's lost her mother, and she's lost her leg. What's so incredible about her is that she's such a stubborn idiot that she can brute force her way through her negative emotions. She's a woman who fights for her principles and accepts nothing less of herself. She also knows that she's not doing it alone; Shizuku is the support that allows her to stand. Hitsugi is, bar none, the most self-aware character in the story.

What annoys Hitsugi about Akira and Sae is that they aren't being true to themselves, nor each other. As much as we like to cheer for them, Akira is in fact the "villain" of this episode. She wants to destroy everything for the sake of one person, and cannot see the alternative. She's too entrenched in trying to prove something to someone else that she's lost sight of her own self. Sae, too, is willing to sacrifice herself for Akira's sake, but as soon as she sacrifices herself, Akira loses her entire reason for fighting, and neither of them are attacking the real enemy: their inabilities to assert their own desires, especially against the people who seemingly control their lives. This is what Hitsugi wants. She wants them to be idiotic and selfish and to throw away the expectations others are placing on them in order to live for BOTH themselves and for each other. This is the kind of person that Hitsugi would not mind losing to. This is what the Hoshitori symbolizes. This is what Kurogane had to learn in her battle with Ayana. Not everyone can be as successful as Hitsugi, but that is because she is a superlative character; however, she can provide the stage for everyone else to chase their dreams.

If anything, Akira and Sae are the characters that don't truly know what "loss" is because their upbringing and ability have kept it at bay. They are, however, aware of the possibility of it, and are so frightened of it that they're not completely and absolutely putting everything on the line. They seem to not understand that "loss" is merely a checkpoint, something that can be moved past if one is strong enough and has the support of others. It's why Akira keeps talking about and "end." She believes in the finality of her actions. Because she believes it's so final, she is so worried about what happens if she were to lose. Sae, too, believes in the finality of their actions, and so is willing to protect only one half of herself (Akira) and sacrifice the other (herself), and so is unable to put all her energy towards attaining the true goal that they both don't fully see.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Also, I would say that Hitsugi is calling Akira and Sae stupid morons because while they both are fighting for each other, and each probably realizes it on some level, they've NEVER discussed it with each other. Each girl is working individually towards their own solutions to help the other, but aside from fighting physically side-by-side, they are not "emotionally" side-by-side. They're approaching the same problem from two different angles, when in fact they'd be much stronger if they worked on it together.

Basically, Akira and Sae need to admit how much they love each other (and kiss).

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

I LOVE the title for this chapter. All the Beatles themed titles are cool, but the this one just sounds hilarious, and it fits perfectly.

Hitsugi, once again, shows why she's my hero. Utterly FABULOUS barrel roll aside, i loved this line: "I shall keep my promise as well, and pulverize and purify you thoroughly and bring you back to a state of idiocy." Such a ridiculous thing to say, but an important lesson nonetheless. We all need a little idiocy in our lives because we need to nurture that emotional side of us. Here's hoping Kuro can work her idiotic magic on Sae as well.

I also hope Hitsugi's leg holds up, but knowing her, I wouldn't be surprised if it broke and she used it to land the last blow.

last edited at May 7, 2015 8:55PM

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Soooo sooooothing....

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

There's just no stopping this train; too much love in the air. I'm still waiting for Noriko to catch on that the magic is really real and Rhianna just sucks at it, though.

But a pressing question for your consideration: does this situation make Mahiru a fifth wheel or a pair of third wheels?

She's the spare wheel on the back of the yuri love-love wagon. Just along for the ride :P

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Woooooaaaa... Exhilarating stuff.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Man, what an epic duel. I love Histugi's unorthodox sword style--holding the very end of the hilt while using her right arm to brace her attack and defense. It's so weird but it's so cool. It contrasts nicely with Akira's slick but standard iai style. It's like every fibre of her being is made to be Akira's foil. It's also hilarious how they both have the time to make a running commentary on the fight going on beside them. It seems Sae and Shizuku have the more conventional duel going on, but it's just as great because of the weight behind it.

Honestly, I'm as breathless as those girls watching in the stands. It's a fantastic spectacle. More than that, I empathize with what they're feeling--that whole "can I do that? I want to do that! I want to be like that too!" The swordbearers are sitting there, watching the highest-quality duel the school has to offer and yearning to one day find that kind of pinnacle; I'm sitting here, reading these scenes that Hayashiya has crafted and desperately wanting to be able to write such captivating scenarios.

Awesome stuff.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Woohoo! You're awesome Akio!

Geez Kanna and Shino were so adorable in that chapter.

And we're finally getting a look at more mahjong players. Just waiting on a Sukoyan appearance now of the major players, I think.

KingCrimson
Collectors discussion 06 Feb 20:06
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

D'aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Thanks again for the scans!

And oh snap! Ending it with a Rinshan Kaihou like a total boss. I can't wait to see how she ties into the main story.

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Oooh. Those last few spread pages gave me chills. Very sweet, but also very cool. A battlefield awaits.

Though some people may complain that it causes the story progression to drag, what I love about Saki is that there are no true "minor" characters. Every character has a personality, every character has a story behind them. Saki's world is wide, vibrant and endearing. I love it.

And thanks to Akio for the scans!

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Yes. All my Yes.

I love how Hitsugi can go from looking utterly badass on one page, then follow it up with the most ridiculous lariat on the next and it's not out of place one bit. It just wouldn't be Akira vs. Hitsugi if it was serious 100% of the time. I think she's trying to loosen Akira up, getting her back to feeling comfortable so that she can just let loose with her swordsmanship. Same thing with Sae. Both of them are being TOO serious, while Hitsugi and Shizuku are maintaining that nice balance of work and play.

Also, I wish this manga got more attention. I feel like it gets passed over on this site a lot simply because it lacks that all-important "yuri" tag.

Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

Dooooo it

Dooooo it

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

"We're going to take that star."

Holy smokes. This chapter made me realize that I've almost never been this excited for a fight in any other manga or anime that I've read or seen. The only other one I can think of is the finale of Hoshi no Samidare, which is basically the greatest I've ever read.

It's a testament to Hayashiya's ability to create tension. Throughout the manga, it's been slowly building in the background with each interaction between Akira and Hitsugi. But then the past few chapters have been geared specifically for this duel. We've also come to know these characters quite intimately, and I think for most of us, come to love them. Akira and Sae, Hitsugi and Shizuka, each pair is interesting and makes us want to root for them. And now we have to choose sides. Damn. Hayashiya's a fantastic writer, and one of my favourites.

Also, GO HITSUGI!

KingCrimson
Yatsude%20avatar%202
joined Aug 4, 2014

The movie is sooooooo melodramatic. It's nowhere near as fun as the manga is because it tries to take it in a much darker direction. Mostly, it's awkward. The yuri is real, but I don't recommend it unless you like melodrama.

And anyway, I don't mind the trap. All you need to do is develop a mind eraser that removes that troublesome appendage so you can just concentrate on the face :P

Overall, this is one of the few manga that ticks literally all of my favourite boxes.