Forum › Posts by IzzyLebasi

IzzyLebasi
Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

I honestly don't get why these one shot stories, about unfulfilled love, are so popular. I just find them frustrating. To me, it's like waiting for an action movie villain to get their comeuppance only for them to get away with their crimes, in the end. The artwork is really cute though.

Totally. I wondered briefly if there was a sequel but it said "one-shot" so probably not. I hated that. I was hoping she'd confess.

joined Mar 26, 2014

I also get the impression that the author is under a lot of stress because this chapter looked really simple. Not much in the background. Hardly any toner or textures. It isn't rushed but it seems barren in a way. Simple. Perhaps that was on purpose so the chapter would be more impactful? Either way. I was surprised with the lack of backgrounds and details.
don't listen to me I'm full of shit LOL
But yeah it just seemed off somehow?

last edited at Jul 20, 2023 12:28AM

joined Mar 26, 2014

Actually, the easiest explanation would be that Ruriko didn't want to seem into it, or that by denying it for so long she was like "No this isn't real" or "I can't let this happen because she's drunk or can't let it happen cause she doesn't mean it". But yeah the slap was harsh in a way. But in a way I'm glad cause usually when drunk kisses happen they're on the lips. And two they're accepted. So I'm just glad it wasn't the usual route of "oh I kissed you drunk? I don't remember (but they secretly do remember)" I freakin' HATE that trope. I hate it. I HATE IT. SOOOOO much! So I'm glad it was like a twist even if right now it seems illogical. Cause I never slapped anyone for hugging me. Not even when I had bullies in my face did I strike them. But slapping a friend and your crush?? Does seem weird... and it was a kiss on the cheek. Like bruh what is that gonna do to you?? Nothing man. It should've been handled like "Hey, enough. Drink this water and go to bed." Or maybe the shock was just too much for Ruriko cause she thinks that Kurumi with never like her back. She is more of the depressed side even though she likes her cause she thinks she's the only one. And depressed people they tend to lash out so they won't get hurt, or when they're caught off guard. Ruriko because she's trying to hold herself back, she's in the closet, she's in denial, she's scared of what life would be like if they stopped living together, and she thinks one day Kurumi will leave her. So I mean yeah I can see how it could've been different. But Kurumi lately has been pushing the envelope a bit. More affection. The gifts. She keeps saying "I love you" even in like a public place. And since Kurumi didn't elaborate which kind of love.. that left Ruriko confused and she assumed it was as a friend since either of them have stated they're in a 'real' relationship. I'm just again glad it was a kiss on the cheek. Thank God for that.

joined Mar 26, 2014

Goddamnit! We're so blessed this is amazing! I'm glad they got more stories. I enjoy re-reading the original oneshot so when I was scrolling through the site, and saw the name on the top 5 most popular of freaking course I tapped on it. And I'm so glad I did. This was just so wholesome.
And using her first name to get her attention was so adorable.

last edited at Jul 5, 2023 1:35AM

joined Mar 26, 2014

Uncle! You have GOOD taste! Yes, I approve!
Heck ya!

last edited at Jun 20, 2023 4:25PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

Aya, you fool. Just move with her. You can get married in California, you know? It's the state least likely to strike same sex marriage from the Book. Unlike Japan having ONE district that gives civil union licenses smh

That's kinda rad. I DIDN'T KNOW they even gave licenses in Japan yet. DANG. How much of a flex would that be? "Oh me and my wife? We married in Japan to show our support."

last edited at Jun 20, 2023 4:23PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

I for one would have no interest in moving to Los Angeles. I often feel like the Japanese have an inferiority complex about the US--like the way so often when someone has an apparently incurable disease in a manga, and then when the risky treatment comes up, it's from America--either they have to go there to get the treatment (and it never mentions the previously well off family now being on the run from Yakuza loansharks) or some brilliant young surgeon learned about it in America and has come back with it. Really I don't think Japanese medical technology is behind North American medical technology, but it's never just some hotshot from the University of Tokyo, the American mystique demands it.

Of course, if your thing is rock music, I guess the US is genuinely the place. Not to, like, make it big because nobody does any more, but at least to experience ambience, go to cool clubs or what. LA might be a good place for that, I guess? I don't know what cities are happening these days. Austin?

I know. I feel like going to Canada would've been better, or Germany. Or somewhere else. I'm American and I would never step foot in the disaster known as California. Hell, no.

last edited at Jun 20, 2023 4:20PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

so Ruriko did fall first!

Um, yeah, Ruriko has been in love with Kurumi for the longest time.

Remember, she was the one who, right before leaving for Europe, said to Kurumi: "In 5 years, when I return, if we're both still single, let's get married!"

That's a whole damn mood! XD "I gay, but too scared to tell ya I gay for you. So marry me without marrying me." Haha

joined Mar 26, 2014

That shock was possibly a bit of an overreaction to Ruriko buying the book so they could read it at the same time...

Actually no. I think it's more of "Oh she went out of her way to buy something I like, (so she can enjoy it too)." Like she doesn't seem to get that Riko (yep can't spell so I shortened it anyway) she doesn't get that Riko likes her but noticed the effort or gesture as sweet. I mean for example when you and someone like your siblings play the same video games it's fun to talk about the game. It's another way to bond. And going out of her way to buy it on the way home is just sweet, and Kurumi is developing feelings so it's extra sweet.

last edited at Jun 17, 2023 11:25PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

wait, so they still haven’t gone from pretending to actualy being in an relationship????

So they both think, but we all know better.

BA'HAHAHAHHA! I know that's right! Ayyyy

joined Mar 26, 2014

Please don't end like Crescent Moon and Doughnuts. Even just one kiss is all I ask.

Same man, same

IzzyLebasi
VAMPEERZ discussion 22 Apr 07:41
joined Mar 26, 2014

it would have been nice to get a big more of an epilogue of their now mutually mortal life together (maybe there'll be an omake or addendum extra at some point? who knows) but all in all that was p sweet as an ending

SAME! I would like a little something to see what their human life together is like. What kind of job Aria gets (maybe a history professor)?
Maybe seeing them happy and married? Since they did the "Til death do us part thing"?

IzzyLebasi
VAMPEERZ discussion 22 Apr 07:38
joined Mar 26, 2014

Personally I would have preferred the two being immortal lovers together but that is just the way these kind of stories always go. Becoming mortal because reasons.

Not because reasons. Aria have been suffering because of her immorality for a long time. The beginning of the manga is her trying to get killed to end her suffering. If anything, it would have been way too cheesy to have them live together as if love can resolve anything... I would have been disappointed if it was the case. I'm sure she already found peace knowing she will be with the person she loves and die after growing old together.

I agree with most comments about the end. Too bad a lot of pages were about Ichika loosing memory. The fact that that incident is resolved so quickly is anti-climatic and sound fake. But overall, I'm still happy with the end and the overall manga. I hope we'll get some extra chapters in one way or an other.

Actually, I think it was very like them to end it like that. To have Aria have a little struggle. Usually it's Ichika that starts the kisses and tells her she loves her etc. I think thay by making it Aria's choice to continue their relationship it was true to the author's intentions. I'm not a big fan of Amnesia. But I'm glad it was just a couple of pages and for a chapter than it was over a course of a series. It kinda makes sense that it would happen because Aria was the Queen of the Vampires and maybe that's a way to protect their kind etc when the Queen's immortality is taken.

P.S. I also thought we could've gotten 2 chapters for the end because of the memory loss thing. It seemed like not conplete because of all the chapters that led up to Ichika's decision to stab Aria for her sake. BUT maybe that's just our way of saying we're sad to see the series end. I really enjoyed it! It was so fresh and epic. A totally different take on Vampires by having a Queen who is like 14 looking.
And the historical parts. It was a great series. The historically accurate bulidings and timeline. We appreciate everyone involved in the making of this series.

last edited at Apr 22, 2023 7:59AM

IzzyLebasi
Pretender discussion 31 Mar 20:58
joined Mar 26, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/pretender#21
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/pretender#30
I think this shows a hint of the other girls like feelings or at least that she was trying to get her friend to say something (woman with short hair was smiling smugly). And people don't just call people drunk especially not Miss. Cares about appearances. She did everything in a calculated way. Now I'm not saying the main character wasn't a scumbag at the end for seemingly forcing herself on a drunk girl. But the other girl never told her to stop or not to kiss her, so the lack of "stop it" makes me think that the other girl knew main character's feelings and was just trying to get her to say something. And plus she was commenting on her house and building her up or making it seem like her friend was ya know rich, so maybe it was her way of saying,"Ask me out you wimp. You're my type. Loaded with cash." Hahahahahahhaha.

Don't mind me y'all. I've read this story like 4 times already. I do think that it has odd progression and the weird cutting out the main character for like 3 pages then the drunk call. It made it seem like it had no time for a better story to develop. If that makes sense?

IzzyLebasi
Pretender discussion 13 Mar 05:08
joined Mar 26, 2014

Well, I liked it. I want a sequel.

joined Mar 26, 2014

Also the phone having the messages stacked on top of each other gives us a clue that she isn't looking at her phone and is avoiding Oosawa's texts.
I'm glad she was called an idiot. But in a way I'm also like "Damn it really went that way?"
But the fucking idiot part won me back. I was like yes! It was nice to get something unexpected for both the audience and Koga-san since I'm sure she didn't think Oosawa san would want anything to do with her afterwards.
Still part of me wishes it hadn't happened, yet that would be out of character for Koga-san to do in the first place.
And I completely agree that the "friend" should've turned down the offer. I just hope Oosawa san was still able to have some fun even if it was a huge bummer for Koga-san to ditch her like that without warning or trick her more like.

Oh GOD dudes edit: i just noticed that when Mitsuki is down and depressed her eyes are black and not colored in, BUT when she hears Oosawa san's voice they turn green. They brightened. OMG, that is adorable!!!!

last edited at Feb 7, 2023 3:57AM

joined Mar 26, 2014

I think they can still make it to the show. RCHP is the headliner so they go on later after the opening bands play first.

"It's getting pretty late. I hope ... they are back from the show."

He's scratching his head.

Oh I see, music stuff on the table in front him, I'd missed that. Without that, I took, him apparently scratching the panel border as a stylized "worrying outside door".

Art denser and more chaotic than I'm used to.

What's the Japanese translated as "fucking idiot"?

ふざけんな!!!

In Japanese, this is a strong way to tell a person to quit messing around, or it is a way to express your anger at someone else who you feel is being an idiot. It isn't polite at all.

Hence, my take on it.

I'm coming out of the woodwork to comment on this. I think instead of "You fucking idiot!" a better phrase to use may be "Are you fucking kidding me?" or "Are you trying to fuck with me?" The meaning is a little different contextually.

The inner thoughts of Mizuki about not hearing it are also a little off for me personally. The translation is correct, but I think the meaning didn't carry across quite well. From pages 3 to 4, Mizuki is basically lamenting the fact that she's not an extrovert who'd just accept someone into her space/life easily. She's expecting Aya to ditch her to get back with Chizuru as friends. Mizuki doesn't think Chizuru would accept her as a friend and didn't think she'd be able to make another friend so soon after giving her full effort just to tell Aya the truth. There was a visible effort for Mizuki to not read what Aya is texting her about. So what she's really saying is "If I don't have to hear about it (Aya and Chizuru rekindle friendship), then I won't have to feel bad/rejected again/" She's essentially expecting to have lost an important friend. This is why the last panel is now showing us Aya is actually texting Mizuki saying "I'm coming over!"

So honestly, I think instead of saying "You're a fucking idiot!" which can be translated that way, it may be better to say "Are you fucking kidding me?!"

ANYWAYS JUST MY THOUGHTS GOODBYE FOREVER

Ooooh! That makes so much more sense. Thanks, sometimes it's hard to get the meaning across.
Okay, yes. That is definitely something that warranted further explanation. Where the wording gets lost I think the art and general traits of the characters actually do get across in the subplots. Like how Koga is wanting to hide or not expose herself as Oni-san (concert to make up with Oosawa where she awkwardly wanted to become real friends). Or the look of sheer passion when talking about the song they were listening to. Etc. I don't wanna rumble. But I believe the author does a great job with story and visuals that way the right tone and meaning are conveyed. D

IzzyLebasi
Omajinai discussion 27 Jan 00:09
joined Mar 26, 2014

Still a no from me. Yikes.

joined Mar 26, 2014

Omg, I'm so happy it's ongoing usually wholesome manga I like end up being discontinued or dropped. So this is awesome! I hope for many re-prints!!!

Actually, I think Kurumi just hasn't comsidered Ruriko seriously. She still thinks in the terms of friendship, but decided to make an effort by adding the habe a date once a week rule.
I was surprised with the first hug and honestly expected a kiss (from Kurumi) but I appreciate the slow burn because they're still learning about each other while living together and are still friends, and not officially a couple yet. In fact, there was another manga like this well a few but the one that it reminds me of is "I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up" or in Japanese (Oya ga Urusai node Kouhai (♀) to Gisou Kekkon Shitemita).
Where they were friends and then feelings were developed and the marriage was no longer just a formality but a truth. I only got to read a few pages of it online before it got licensed. And being broke that's all I remember about it it came out in 2018.
But unlike Kodama Naoko this Mangaka will have a more lighthearted effect and impact. Even though the I married my best friend to shut my parents up was one of their happier mangas it still wasn't it for me. Like it was missing something.
This one has what it lacks. Healthy relationship where two people wanna help each other out.
I would argue that if Kurumi realized one day she actually likes Ruriko that maybe she would become like
... trying to think of a good example... basically I think she'd be a dere dere once she stops the baka-dere vibe lol she's just a little dense is all. But she does care about Ruriko just right now it's along the lines of "friendship" friends get friends gifts. Friends let people crash at their place. It's just the lines of friendship and until she understands or recognizes it could be more and not just the promise they made then that's probably when we could see her being more romantic. It's not that she isn't capable or even asexual. They are friends. And who knows.
We do have a future 3rd house meeting coming up so it could spice things up or they'd have a deeper relationship.

Edit: I'm an Ace/demi-sexual so I have nothing against representation. It's just from my view and opinion that Kurumi could be a late bloomer (as others have said).
Besides, she blushed so hard from a hug. Remember? She was all,"the heck was that?"

last edited at Jan 25, 2023 10:15PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

How do I save this to my reading lists T-T

You use a reading list? I either keep 34 tabs open or remember the author or title to all the stuff I like.
And yes I'm able to do that.
I mean good for you using the feature idk I'm bragging about remembering shit. I'm sorry it's like 1am and I'm feeling uhhhh I guess like fighting? Bot really the right word but ya know like confident?

IzzyLebasi
joined Mar 26, 2014

I love reading through the translation notes at the end. the detail about the pun in the title is so cool! also love manga that are more concerned with adult relationships... I often feel that I've "aged out" of reading most yuri because so much of it takes place in a high school setting, so I really don't visit this site as often as I did when I was younger :(

Relatable. I'm 24 so I get that. I don't read as much high school stuff as I used to and tend to want to see more young adult or mature characters.
Like yeah sometimes it's okay, but it gets annoying. Give us "old" people something to read too damn it!
Like shit I gotta write it or what? Jk jk
I thought about it, but right now I don't have the time to sit and write. Like I was gonna do a high school story where we follow them into adulthood and shit instead of it ending at graduation because so basic and boring and predictable.

IzzyLebasi
joined Mar 26, 2014

Bruh that credits page was hilarious XD
I liked the feather metaphor. It made sense to me.

Or you could've said she doesn't want to be tied down, and she's as free as a bird/feather?
She's like a feather fluttering in the wind and people pick her up (and try taking her home to admire) but she slips through their fingers? That might have been too much LOL ignore me I caught the brain damage from that credits page.

Dude, I never thought I'd see a player tag end happy.
That was a good read and I love their art style. I'm actually here cause I wanted to see more of their stuff and I'm thrilled. The guy she had a crush on was a girl is so good!

joined Mar 26, 2014

So like this?
Sadface

Damn, well whatever maybe it doesn't work cause I'm on my phone?

I was trying to do it like the mods said to:
! []( link) no space then

last edited at Dec 20, 2022 2:16PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

How are we not talking about how Oosawa saw flower petals and got one stuck to her forehead? XD That's so cute! Also anyone know what tye Japanese text behind is? Like internal screaming or her heating up sounding like a tea kettle?
I wish I understood how to insert an image instead of just a custom title to tap for the link to the page BUT here lol

joined Mar 26, 2014

Imagine making your new best totally straight girl friend blush like that. Totally a straight girl move.

XD The irony in this is immense.
Imagine doing it at first for her reaction, and now just doing by accident. Hahaha!