Forum › Posts by Nya-chan

Nya-chan
Philosophia discussion 25 May 08:27
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"My older sister disappeared before I was born". So, it's a timeskip of around 20 years. We don't see Ai closely in the last scene, so she can be 40 for all we know.

Nya-chan
Anime Recommendation 25 May 08:21
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015
  • "What do you like about me?"
  • "Everything. There's nothing I dislike about you"

Gets me every time.

Was this sarcasm? Would make sense to me because that line sounds horrible.

No sarcasm. It's stock line I admit, but you have to be in the mood of the scene to understand I guess.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think i read something like this before where a girl was a burden in chorus because so was deaf.

Koe No Katachi

Story of a guy who bullies a deaf girl in middle-school and ends up being bullied himself after she transfers out of school.

Years later, on the verge of suicide, he tries to redeem himself by meeting her and trying to make friend with her before killing himself. It was a oneshot then became a series. In the series, a whole crew of people from the same middle-school reunite and the past comes back with a vengeance. Drama and romances ensues.

It's a touching story really. Can't say I found the ending very satisfying though. A nice ending, but not conclusive.

Nya-chan
Philosophia discussion 25 May 04:14
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well then she just have to write an Age gap sequel. As if.

Nya-chan
Anime Recommendation 25 May 03:54
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

. The Monogatari series, too.

"No huge cartoonish eyes, little to none existing fanservice, the ambience is consistent"

If you can get past the fanservice, the Monogataries series is a blast. I especially liked the romance between Koyomi and Hitagi. The scene under the stars at the end is one of the most romantic ever. So much feels.

• "What do you like about me?"
  • "Everything. There's nothing I dislike about you"

Gets me every time.

Nya-chan
Anime Recommendation 25 May 03:49
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Haibane Renmei?
FLCL?
Paranoia Agent?
Nagi no Asakura?

There are tons of very good anime out there, old and new.

Nya-chan
Philosophia discussion 25 May 03:43
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blah blah... long story short, for me, the ending sucked.

"One of the MC is a pimp and goes to die in a faraway place, leaving the other MC mourning and alone for the rest of her life"

Lol?

Nya-chan
Pinky discussion 25 May 03:31
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

There should be a tag Ridiculously short uniform skirts

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I finished the anime and I can say this deserve to be one of the best Yuri ever to me.
And Morishima really do lots of Yuri manga, I think she must put all her heart to it. I really appreciate her

I seem to recall that in some afterword, she stated that she will do yuri till she dies.

Nya-chan
Citrus discussion 25 May 02:54
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You're hard on Citrus. I find it entertaining. I'm a sucker for angst. Gets me every time.

Nya-chan
Philosophia discussion 25 May 02:37
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I thought it was pretty mean of Tomo's dad to refer to her as a monkey, especially when he said "See how far you can escape." I figured she was just trying to run away from him and start anew.... I totally didn't think she was so depressed to the point of being suicidal though.

The monkey thing is a reference to the legend of Sun Wu Kong, the Monkey-king.

In the tale "A journey to the West", Buddha makes a bet with Sun Wu Kong that he cannot escape from his palm.

He accepts and jumps from the palm to the end of the world, being sure that he escaped. There, he finds 5 pillars and he thinks he reached the end of heaven. He writes something akin to "Kilroy was here" on one of the pillars, then jumps back on the hand of Buddha. There he finds his writing and realizes that the five pillars were Buddha's fingers all along and that he never left his hand at all.

What the father says is that running far away doesn't mean you can escape from your problems. It doesn't refer to himself.

Edit: ^ Eh... beat me to it.

last edited at May 25, 2015 2:38AM

Nya-chan
Philosophia discussion 24 May 16:58
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The last chapter is... uuuh... what?

Let's just forget it. It was so good until that.

Nya-chan
Pieta discussion 24 May 15:48
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So, if the doctor's thoughts are true, the next step in evolution is lesbians.

I can get on board with this.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yuri Kuma Arashi's anime is about finding your someone special (the recurring "found you!") and about "true love" vs desire (eating). And also being true to your love, even in the face of the invisible storm.

True. But I think it's more encompassing and more about society than love - it's the theme of "defining the norm".
The quirks of the personality or other abnormalities in each one of us is what makes us stand out, makes us visible. On one hand that makes us vulnerable as the society (the invisible storm) starts to fear the unknown and decides to get rid of us. On the other hand, that's what makes others fall in love with us (finding someone visible).
In other words Ikuhara sends a message that it's OK to be and stay different, never give up on who you are, because no matter where you go, you'll always differ from the rest in one aspect or another. Therefore, no matter where you go there will be two worlds of love and hate around you, just accept it as part of your life. And if you do give up and becomes transparent, you risk to lose someone precious, someone who loves you.

That's what I implied with "the invisible storm". I didn't dwell on it, because its symbolism is obvious : society wanting to make you "invisible", ie conform to its norm.

And I think it's more about love than about society criticism really. :)

Kumalia is the star of love and she pulls the strings in the background. Kureha and Ginko keep repeating, like a mantra, that they won't give up on love and that their love is true. All the rest is just roadblocks on their path.

But everyone sees what they want to see in Yuri Kuma. :)

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Seriously, the author of Sinfest did a strip per day for around 15 years ?! The guy is crazy

He must have missed a few days, but basically, yeah, he made a strip per day for 15 years.

The only one I know that's been longer (1995!) and as regular is Kevin & Kell. A strip per day for 20 years. But it's pure slice-of-life of a furry family and has almost no romance. Though there's a lesbian couple (a rhino and a horse).

last edited at May 24, 2015 7:36AM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh right, there's Sinfest that I suppose everyone knows.

One of the two main characters (Monique) turned lesbian and dates a demon-girl.

All in all, Sinfest, after 15 years, turned into an ultra-feminist webcomic.

Shame that now is utter trash.

I used ot like it.

To each their own. You can say you don't like it anymore, but not that it's trash.

I still kinda like it. The art has improved a lot over the years. Most of the characters are interesting.

Monique and her girlfriend are cute.

Fuchsia and Criminy are cute.

Though I don't like much what the author is doing to Slick. He used to be a nice guy, though a pervert, with a thing for Monique.

Now, he's sinking into hell and seem unable to redeem himself, just because he's male.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If bear universe is a delusion, then it's a shared one. Kureha had it too, before her makeover. Dreams, mindreading.

This is the whole point of the manga really, in case you didn't notice. What's true and what's not, what's an illusion and what's reality, what's love and what's desire.

Yuri Kuma Arashi's anime is about finding your someone special (the recurring "found you!") and about "true love" vs desire (eating). And also being true to your love, even in the face of the invisible storm.

I think the manga will tell the same kind of story, in a different way.

I think you , nailed it with that.

I forgot to talk about the theme of "pride" too. Ie, you don't try to change someone to be like you, for your convenience. It's pride. The only one you have the right to change is yourself. Hence the final decision of Kureha in the anime.

YKA is far more complex than appears at first glance, even if 12 eps was too few.

But above all, it's a wonderful love story, so strong that it breaks the barriers of space, time, gender and even species.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If bear universe is a delusion, then it's a shared one. Kureha had it too, before her makeover. Dreams, mindreading.

This is the whole point of the manga really, in case you didn't notice. What's true and what's not, what's an illusion and what's reality, what's love and what's desire.

I think the manga will tell the same kind of story, in a different way.

last edited at May 23, 2015 11:44AM

Nya-chan
Collectors discussion 23 May 05:07
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The adorableness of this never ceases to amaze me.

Nya-chan
E-G-Town discussion 23 May 03:01
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This is not interesting and pretty stupid, but I think Shou's loli is worse than this.

Nya-chan
Anime season 22 May 13:54
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Latest episode of SNAFU Zoku sent the feels through the roof.

Hikigaya crying? Wut?

I'd almost ship Yukinoshita and Yuigahama now.

last edited at May 22, 2015 2:05PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Go Get a Roomie's comment section descended into chaos.

Nya-chan
Kase-san discussion 21 May 17:15
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I wouldn't really call that a spoiler, but okay, sorry.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm hesitant to recommend Wapsi Square since up to a point it's amazing but during the last little while it's gotten really off kilter in terms of pacing. The lead character, who up until that point had been perfectly happy in a long term relationship with a great guy, suddenly decided she'd been fooling herself all along and immediately dumped him without further discussion and started a relationship with (at that point) the only canon lesbian in the series. Since then another lesbian character was introduced, and one who appeared to be straight, and who thematically would have been great as a more down-to-earth lesbian, is now possibly bi although that thread's been left dangling for the moment.

There are a lot of good moments, and I definitely recommend the archives, but when it comes to the recent stuff I'm a bit less impressed than I had been. Which is a shame since the subject matter is right up my alley.

http://wapsisquare.com/

I used to read wapsisquare, but I lost track some years ago because the story wasn't making any sense, with magic and "poits" teleportation and such. It was interesting but badly told.

Really, the lead character with huge boobs (Monica?) dumped the guy with the stuble? Who for? The butch mechanic?

last edited at May 21, 2015 4:40PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh right, there's Sinfest that I suppose everyone knows.

One of the two main characters (Monique) turned lesbian and dates a demon-girl.

All in all, Sinfest, after 15 years, turned into an ultra-feminist webcomic.