Forum › Posts by random

random
Image Comments 07 Nov 02:04
joined Jul 26, 2016
65837827_p0

If memory serves the manga every now and then dedicates several panels to the topic of "how do clothes work with this kind of anatomy" so there's that.

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

I was thinking about a related topic today—how the better-written manga often contain plenty of familiar elements and narrative tropes, but they’re reworked and configured in interesting ways.

It would be very easy to summarize YagaKimi (misleadingly) to make it sound like any number of dime-a-dozen yuri/romance manga, and Sayaka as the best friend with the longtime silent crush is one such element (along with the hyper-competent student council prez, the thematically significant cultural festival, the training camp retreat, etc.).

Yuu herself is a good example—I can think of various other characters who have one or more of some version of her characteristics, but not one who really fundamentally resembles her overall.

But she also doesn’t feel like an odd or artificial construct, either (as sometimes happens when authors are obviously trying to create an “original” character). In other manga character traits like Yuu’s shyness or her athletic ability or her straightforwardness often tip over into becoming the character’s whole identity—“the quiet shy one,” “the sporty tomboy,” “the rude blunt one.” But not here—those qualities are part of her without finally being her.

It's not the recipe and the ingredients but the skill of the cook that matters, so to speak.

joined Jul 26, 2016

And at least her "I don't recall" answers would be truthful enough.

Medically certified!

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

These two are serious about finding workable compromises o3ob

random
NemoKuro discussion 06 Nov 08:57
joined Jul 26, 2016

Any other place, she always looks disastrously creepy.

That's... basically in character though. (Also for Emoji when she's getting her stalker on.)

joined Jul 26, 2016

when Cha wasn't your dump stat

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

ò ó
lewd af

random
Image Comments 05 Nov 19:32
joined Jul 26, 2016
Sneak

Well Given 'Marck's history with Britisher (more specifically Ark's) naval aviation... tags: Toys Anal ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

last edited at Nov 5, 2018 7:38PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Why do the fairies look like nuns?

Because everyone knows what those repressed abstinents get up to in private amirite Might as well ask why they're about 30 cm tall, give or take.

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

From what we've seen, I get the impression that her relationship with her "sister" is more mutually violent, with them fighting a lot and being kind of numb to the violence, (it shows them getting into fights with each other and then just kind of forgetting about it) while the abuse of her foster parents was more one-sided and brutal and is likely what led to the injuries we saw at the beginning. (we're shown her bieng menaced at knife point by her foster dad, IIRC)

Your chronology's way off, the knife thing was her birth parents before the child protection folks took her away from them.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It's sort of nice how Luna actually dyed her hair back (?) when she enrolled in High school. I thought she'd be the type to actually fight for that.

Well she opted for a boarding school to avoid the awkwardness of hanging around her mom and her new hubby; getting into a pointless pissing contest with the school over mere cosmetics right out of the gate would have rather defeated the purpose of the whole exercise...

Luna might not be a deep thinker but she's definitely a pragmatic sort.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Yuri Fairy, taking a piss on genre tropes. Also brownie points for the naming of the, uh, customer pair lol

joined Jul 26, 2016

Series has gained a level!
Chapter number +5!

random
1 x ½ discussion 04 Nov 15:34
joined Jul 26, 2016

:d

Anyway, there's a formatting guide in the pinned topics. (I have to go refresh my memory every now and then too.)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Could be "Runa" too but, y'know, AZN Ranguages... but as her given name does mean Moon, yeah.

Also Underling-kun is #oneofus owo

last edited at Nov 3, 2018 7:16PM

random
1 x ½ discussion 03 Nov 17:07
joined Jul 26, 2016

ayako a furry confirmed?

Have you forgotten the Furry Scale?

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

Yandere Imouto doesn't beat around the bush, I'll give her that...

I suppose her attitude is somewhat understandable given Iori's... questionable... dating history but still.

random
Their Story discussion 02 Nov 05:06
joined Jul 26, 2016

C'mon I want them to take it to the next tier. This is going too slow

Necessary reminder that the Chinese governement under God Emperor Xi's tenure is going full on fascist like it was still the Cultural Revolution so I think you'll have to excuse authors there for playing it safe.

random
Image Comments 02 Nov 03:25
joined Jul 26, 2016
66095219_p5

^ You can probably blame cultural spillover from WotC's World of Darkness setting. Seems to have produced at least half of the vampire/werewolf/related tropes of the past few decades that don't involve glittering and being a better love story than

random
1 x ½ discussion 02 Nov 03:19
joined Jul 26, 2016

These non sequitur seasonal events, man.

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

Mokocchi, Smooth Operator Of The Year

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

...no? Technically it's given name-family name as in all "Western" societies I'm aware of; in practice for pretty much all formal/official purposes family name comes first and is the more important one since that's what just about all records are indexed by, which AFAIK is the norm about everywhere anyway. And in less formal/bureaucratic use it's still polite to address strangers by the family name (again hardly unusual) so people often introduce themselves in reversed name order, and everyone can tell which are the given and family names anyway.
And anyone who gets a stick up their butt about it will be viewed as an OCD twat.

Kind of like if someone introduced themselves as "Smith, John" to you I daresay you would have no problems whatsoever deciphering the meaning...

As an aside it isn't exactly an unusual practice for Western publishers to simply include a primer page which explains the name order and suffixes for the benefit of newcomers to imported Japanese manga. And while that doesn't quite work for anime it REALLY shouldn't be too hard for the audience to figure out the basics to the degree they know what's going on; I see no virtue in losing nuances solely for the sake of dumbing everything down to the level of the absolute lowest common (Anglo-American) denominator who can't wrap his head around the idea of some things being done a bit differently in other corners of the world.
And for the sake of comparison it's not like say US media gets localized for differences in education system organization when exported elsewhere, ergo I have to try to remember which order the whole sophomore-freshman-senior-junior thing was in again ('round here we just refer to high-schoolers and equivalents by which of the 3 years they're in)...

random
Image Comments 01 Nov 02:32
joined Jul 26, 2016
Dqztoo1xqaup_ov-orig

Chinatsu's costume seems... alarmingly fitting.

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

Does this artist even know what pacing is? I was hoping she learned that people have other emotions besides CAPS LOCK since last time, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

B-but it's the cruise control for cool

random
joined Jul 26, 2016

I've certainly seen it used in MMO/F2P contexts for years.