Forum › Posts by RadiosAreObsolete

Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I know that she's still a teenager but Lin Luxi is quite the jerk. Ghosting her friend before and now lying about a crush to get a reaction.

I know, right? I always dislike the idea of using "tactics" like that to get someone's attention anyway, but the fact that she was avoiding her for a month up until, like, three chapters ago... I get that she's insecure, but... Idk, you could also try confessing your own feelings to see their reaction. It's unfair to play with their emotions like that just so you can protect yourself.
Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh, but honestly, from the moment she started this, I wished that her plan would come hit her in the face like a boomerang. And I still do. (Though I don't want to see Tong Tong getting hurt again...)

(Edit: I checked it, it was four chapters ago)

If they were a het couple and this was just an underhanded tactic to spur interest in somebody they could just casually confess to, then yeah, I'd be with you.

But they're gay.

In China.

If Xiao Lu confesses, and Tongtong isn't interested, she might just turn her down and keep her mouth shut about it, but there is also a very real chance that she could go to her parents, or her teachers, either maliciously or just carelessly. Depending on the culture at her school and the opinions of the people in her life, she might get beaten and/or disowned by her parents. I don't think she can legally be expelled anymore, but rumors could spread, leading to bullying. Even if her parents mean well, she could still end up transferred to avoid discrimination and rumors following them. And it used to be way worse even than that. God knows what kinds of stories she's read or heard about people in her area from back before legal discrimination was repealed.

I will give a fair bit of leeway to any sexual minority who wants to use otherwise underhanded tactics to feel out somebody's interest indirectly before risking outing themselves. That shit is scary in a lot of places. The world may be growing up on the whole, but it isn't happening at the same speed everywhere. Some places are even backsliding.

(Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying there is an actual chance that Tongtong would do those things, she's obviously super into Xiao Lu and they are definitely on a romantic collision course. But Xiao Lu doesn't know that, so that stuff above is all reasonable to fear from her perspective.)

Yeah, I guess you do have a point here, I hadn't taken the China factor into consideration. And I think I'd kinda gotten triggered 'cause I'd been reading some other stuff at the time, where there was a lot of manipulation in play. Actual manipulation, I mean, not like this. I still don't like it of course, but I can understand why she would do that, I suppose.

Anyway, I really liked this chapter and I like the direction this is taking, so if it is handled well... I guess I'll be fine with it not hitting her in the face like a boomerang lol (gosh, I really was pissed off at the time, huh?)
...Not that I'd mind if it did tho.. XD

(edited a bit because there were way too many likes and stuffs in one sentence...)

last edited at Jun 28, 2021 9:43AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

me wondering if the author has same face syndrome or if Yuina is actually somehow sara

Right? I kept flipping through each page comparing the two like, “Huh??”

B– But... But Yuina is Yuina

Anyway, Sara has two moles under her eye. You can see it here:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cant_defy_the_lonely_girl_ch18#18
(And anywhere else, really, I just liked Wakana's face here hehe)

Edit: Just realised I liked Wakana's face in almost every panel lol. She made some nice faces in this chapter.

last edited at Jun 27, 2021 5:49AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Is she really a cannon lesbian? I'm pretty sure her brother had mentioned that she has brought boyfriends home before, though I may not remember correctly.

She is! When Nozomi asked her if she and Shino's brother (the dead one lol) had anything going on between them, Ritsuko said that Nozomi didn't need to worry because she and Shino's bro had the same interest in girls.

Ah, yeah, I do remember something like that, now that you mention it. I guess the supposed boyfriends weren't actually boyfriends then. (Or maybe there weren't any boyfriends to begin with and it was just me who thought that her brother said something of the sort lol)

Yo, you guys know which chapters these are? I don't remember this at all. Maybe it's time for me to re-read everything.

Sorry, not at all. But if I end up going for my second reread before you, I will be sure to come back to link to these parts.

RadiosAreObsolete
Opapagoto discussion 25 Jun 21:19
joined Mar 6, 2021

I feel that in the end what I disliked about this series was actually the premise itself. Just why would the author go and introduce traditional gender roles in a same-sex relationship?! Even though it did serve to create some fun situations, I felt that such a plot only reinforced these stereotypes (e.g. the father being the head and protector of the family). Perhaps it would've been handled better if it hadn't been axed, but even in the final chapter the conclusion we get is basically "everyone continued to live in their place in the family". How beautiful.

And this leads to the second major issue I had with this series: the characters' relationships felt manufactured. I mean, they were... but not only were they created because of the system, they also felt manufactured. Let me elaborate on this:

We have a love triangle of sorts, between father, mother and daughter; and I'm calling them that 'cause that's what they were treated as. We have Yukari, whose relationship with Haruhi started as that of manufactured "husband and wife". Then we have love-at-first-sight Ayumi, with an also manufactured father-daughter relationship. And lastly, Haruhi herself, who honestly didn't seem to have much interest towards either for the duration of the series lol. And what do we get in the end? A girlfriends...? husband and wife...? relationship between the husband and wife, and a father-daughter relationship between the father and daughter. Interesting.

Am I just bitter because my ship sunk? I sure am, but it's more than that. What annoyed me is that Ayumi never stood a chance because she was the daughter. Honestly, my frustration over this was the main reason I rooted for her.

The one point were a character really broke out of these ridiculous restrictions was Ayumi's confession. And for me that was one of most satisfying confession/rejection scenes I've seen in any (yuri) manga. But why was Ayumi rejected? You might say, because Haruhi didn't like her back. And well, you'd be right. But why was Ayumi's love never seen as a possibility? Because she was the daughter.

And then we immediately move on to the —admittedly very beautifully drawn— confession/kiss scene between our respected husband and wife. With Ayumi actually witnessing it and being reduced to some comedic background character, 'cause why not? She was the daughter anyway, she should know her place.

I'll finish with this:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/opapagoto_ch16#51
Haruhi and Yukari kiss. And what do they get? A fifty point card. But what would happen if Haruhi and Ayumi were to kiss? A fifty-minus point card? Expulsion from the program? Death?! (okay probably not)

Which all leads us back to how this manga used traditional family roles to... Validate them? Very innovative.

TL;DR: I'm bitter about my failed ship This manga assigned stereotyped roles to the characters with seemingly no intention to subvert them. The characters were trapped in those stereotypes, and even when they supposedly break out of them, I don't find it convincing since everyone is basically still continuing on with their roles.

P.S. I'm really sorry about this wall of text, but every time I tried to shorten it I just got angrier and added more...

last edited at Jun 28, 2021 9:47AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

This and it's sequel.

Wow, that was quick. This is it, thanks a lot!

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I'm looking for a one-shot where the protagonist's friend told her she was a lesbian and she kinda started thinking that maybe she liked her (the friend), only to be disappointed when the friend introduced her to her girlfriend. I'm not sure, but perhaps she hang out with the friend on the rooftop...?

There was also a sequel, where I think she buys something from a vending machine and sees them passing by...? Or something. And it just remains an unrequited love.

I'm probably mixing up the details here, but that's all I remember.

joined Mar 6, 2021

RadiosAreObsolete posted:
What do you mean? I'm confused. Is this an answer to me?? No, the person before you dingus

I can be whatever you want me to be

Yes, I realised it when I reread it just now and deleted my previous reply, but I guess I didn't make it in time XD
...I'm stupid.

last edited at Jun 23, 2021 8:26PM

joined Mar 6, 2021

Why is chapter 1 posted again?

Why don't you check out the credit page/previous thread pages before asking? It's already been answered, is what I'm saying, I don't mean to be rude.

Surprise, we're not dead. The volume's out and I'll get to posting the cleaner versions of ch3~5 soon, I promise. They shifted all the text boxes slightly, so I gotta recentre it all by hand...

also, read the credits page before asking questions. I'm just gonna start swinging if I have to read stuff already answered there.

EDIT: Also, this thread really has gotten weird, what with people giving their super detailed perfect-date plans and the overly scientific responses lol (and the... interesting comeback from @Princess_Anime....)
I was kinda creeped out honestly, more than this manga has ever managed to creep me out XD

...So I guess what I'm saying is, good job, people, keep these comments coming!

last edited at Jun 23, 2021 6:25PM

RadiosAreObsolete
VAMPEERZ discussion 21 Jun 11:26
joined Mar 6, 2021

Things really did get serious after all!? Nice
Though what is happening is definitely not nice...

I'm getting anxious and excited at the same time...!
Can't wait to see how this will go!

joined Mar 6, 2021

Wow, both this and the prequel were so great!

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/5_seconds_before_falling_in_love_with_a_witch#33
What a way to declare one's love... for you
...Waaaiit a minute, aren't you supposed to declare your love for them??? Lol

Just great, good job author.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

What's up with their Hawaii shirts? It doesn't seem plot relevant, but seems like it should be plot relevant?

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. And the fact that we never see any kind of background, in any panel, doesn't help much to understand the situation. Are they supposed to be in a batting centre...? And the title refers both to senpai's line, as well as the place where all this is happening??
Not that a batting centre would explain the Hawaiian shirts though....

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Okay, I just need to talk about the ear cleaning.
What. The hell. Was that.

Umm... Just who reacts like that to ear cleaning? I don't get it. I mean, with how outrageously exaggerated Ichika's response was, I can understand why Ritsu would be turned on, that definitely doesn't make her a creep lol
I guess the dialogue is passable, but why is she panting and gasping...? I don't get it.

Also, isn't that kinda dangerous? Especially with how she actually went deeper in when Ichika had told her it hurt. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if she actually did pierce her eardrum at some point lol (even if unintentionally)
And no, I am not buying that this girl felt more comfortable having someone else clean her ears than doing it herself. I'm not saying she can't feel comfortable with someone else, but how in the world does she get scared to do it on her own!?

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Some parts kinda rubbed me the wrong way tho, especially when the feminist girl was like "Oh I'm not patronizing you, you chose your path and I would never try to sway you from that path!" and then has her friend talk to her about how she's "a lost child, too stubborn to realize they're on the wrong path"

This. I felt that too. Even though I know they were trying to help and I definitely get @kokoa's and @FluffyCow's point... Aaghhh
I don't know, they way she phrased that... It sounded like proselytism and kinda pissed me off.

joined Mar 6, 2021

I know that she's still a teenager but Lin Luxi is quite the jerk. Ghosting her friend before and now lying about a crush to get a reaction.

I know, right? I always dislike the idea of using "tactics" like that to get someone's attention anyway, but the fact that she was avoiding her for a month up until, like, three chapters ago... I get that she's insecure, but... Idk, you could also try confessing your own feelings to see their reaction. It's unfair to play with their emotions like that just so you can protect yourself.
Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh, but honestly, from the moment she started this, I wished that her plan would come hit her in the face like a boomerang. And I still do. (Though I don't want to see Tong Tong getting hurt again...)

(Edit: I checked it, it was four chapters ago)

last edited at Jun 11, 2021 3:40PM

joined Mar 6, 2021

Undoubtedly one of the best anthologies I've read on this site! Very well-balanced, with each chapter having its own unique flavor. It managed to stand out from the dozens of one-shots/anthologies I've come across, even in the typical school girl setting.
Very refreshing.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I really liked Choko's hair. I'm not usually a fan of the long-wavy hairstyle, but Choko's hair was just so beautifully drawn here... It looked so silky and glossy and flowy and soft...
Just. Nice.

joined Mar 6, 2021

I love how everyone just started making suggestions about the cause of her symptoms XD

Somehow the comments made this chapter even better for me. Nice to see the different takes people had on the situation.

last edited at Jun 9, 2021 11:20AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Is she really a cannon lesbian? I'm pretty sure her brother had mentioned that she has brought boyfriends home before, though I may not remember correctly.

She is! When Nozomi asked her if she and Shino's brother (the dead one lol) had anything going on between them, Ritsuko said that Nozomi didn't need to worry because she and Shino's bro had the same interest in girls.

Ah, yeah, I do remember something like that, now that you mention it. I guess the supposed boyfriends weren't actually boyfriends then. (Or maybe there weren't any boyfriends to begin with and it was just me who thought that her brother said something of the sort lol)

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

See also (last panel).

I'm starting to think that the author is the one who sees people as fruit...

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

RadiosAreObsolete posted:

What should I expect from blacklisting?
I've blacklisted Touhou Project but I don't think there's any difference; it still appears just as before, even in the Random Chapter section.

Sorry for the delay in response; the blacklist feature will block new chapters on the front page and Recently Added page. Unfortunately it offers no further functionality, but this will hopefully keep your feed cleaner.

Ahh, I see. Yes, I do believe I haven't seen any on my Recently Added lately, so it seems to be working just fine. Thank you for the response!

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

What should I expect from blacklisting?
I've blacklisted Touhou Project but I don't think there's any difference; it still appears just as before, even in the Random Chapter section.

last edited at Jun 1, 2021 5:13PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Hi guys can you recommend me some yuri manga goes like this
- Subject x Royals Relationship
-Servant x Master Relationship
Thanks

I don't know if you're looking for drama or something more lighthearted, but for drama Goodbye My Rose Garden is good. Not on this site unfortunately.

And if you're okay with webcomics Getting to Know Grace was very nice (also drama).

I actually made a similar request a while back, if you want you can also check out the answers I got.

Edit: Just remembered this one, Vespa, it's been a while since I read it though, so I'm not sure if it was any good.

last edited at Jun 1, 2021 4:12PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

It has been so long and what do we retun to? A cheating subplot...You know what. It may be an unpopular opinion but I dont want a fake out or a misunderstanding.

Let there be actual cheating and lets see how they deal with it. It would be more interesting than "I was just building an orphanage for kittens on the side"

We already know she's not cheating. Rena's boss is opening a new branch of her nail salon, and she wants Rena to manage it. Rena's been extra busy because she has to prepare for her new responsibilities and figure out the new location. That's what Chapter 11 was about.

But then why lie about it?

I think it's because she's still kind of indecisive about it? She seems to be leaning towards becoming the branch manager, but I suppose she still kind of likes the idea of working at home, where she would be with Yuna. Plus, Yuna seemed very excited for her to start working from home, so maybe she just doesn't know how to break the news to her, especially if she hasn't reached a definite decision.

I'm honestly surprised that people even consider the possibility of her cheating with how head-over-heels in love she is with Yuna. I mean, I could understand why one might be frustrated because they consider this to be pointless drama, but cheating seems a bit irrelevant with what the author has shown us so far.

last edited at Jun 1, 2021 12:06PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Lily Love discussion 01 Jun 08:16
joined Mar 6, 2021

The number of chapters it took for me to finally stop getting confused with the left-to-right reading was pathetic. Especially considering how I'd been reading mostly Korean and Chinese webcomics for the past few days XD
I guess the fact that it was black and white was partly to blame for this, but it was still sad.

It was an okay read; not my favourite, but not half bad, it was pretty romantic (and I'm all for romantic stories lol). Ploy kinda got on my nerves though. Also, why did all the characters have such weird names? Even if they were nicknames it was a bit strange to read.

Random thought and I don't know if I should be saying this, but... wasn't the father's design pretty cool? Like, his moustache and eyebrows were interestingly drawn... Or something. Idk, forget I said that.

Edit: a couple of important(?) additions:
The blushing was sooo cute (would this be a candidate for the Blushing tag? I mean, Donut was basically in a state of constant redness, but maybe we need all the characters to be? Haha idk)

Also, these close-up shots of the eyes are gorgeous.

last edited at Jun 1, 2021 1:57PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I was reluctant to read this since it was labelled as cancelled, but then I checked out the author's note about it and it seemed like they might have managed to pull it off somehow, so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, I don't regret my decision.

It had comedy, it had bloodsucking, it had interesting characters... I feel like I pretty much got what I wanted. I would have liked to see a longer version, I'm curious as to what more we would have seen, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

It was actually a bit sad to read the author's note, it was axed within a week after its release?! I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to cram six volumes worth of story in only two... But it didn't feel incomplete in any way, so I'd say they were pretty successful.