Forum › Posts by ChikyuuNeko

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I have to say, I fully expected the romance between Ren and Ginno to be dragged out for at least another 5 chapters. Very positively surprised to see such a straight to the point confession. If we now also get some more nice development between Momo and Nanase I'd be really quite happy

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I really hope the author addresses that they're "not friends" next chapter...

Rom-Coms are fun, but it can easily and quickly get really frustrating when the relationship and characters never actually progress.

Yeah, starting to get a little tired of the endless teasing without meaningful progess. It just becomes the same pattern over and over again

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Although, I don't think it's appropriate to call these "side stories" anymore, there hasn't been a release for the "main" series in ages and it fully feels like these are now continuing the story proper. Maybe call it Season 2 or something instead?

It's because there was no update since long ago that's it's been stopped. For the matter, it's just the translation who are on hiatus right now, not the manga. So yes, it's called Side Story because thay are side stories.

Hmm, I just saw that Mikanuji hasn't uploaded anything to Pixiv for a while and jumped to a conclusion, but you are right, the book serialization is actually still going. I wonder if she just doesn't update Pixiv anymore or something.

Still, I'm not sure if side story is appropriate as they develop the main plot, which side stories don't do by definition. The Japanese page simply calls them "long-form serialisation", so it kinda seems to be part of the main series too

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Very cute, loving the positive vibes from this one. Also, the character art is among the best I've ever seen, all of them are absolutely gorgeous in their own ways

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I really like these longer stories, they develop the cast of characters quite nicely whilst being much more consistent than the original series. It really seems like Mikanuji now has somebody at hand who pushes her in the right direction.

Although, I don't think it's appropriate to call these "side stories" anymore, there hasn't been a release for the "main" series in ages and it fully feels like these are now continuing the story proper. Maybe call it Season 2 or something instead?

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Luxi going with the good old "make her jealous to figure out her feelings" strategy I see.
Poor Tong Tong will of course be way too pure to see her real intentions, so it might backfire somewhat. Luxi is basically trying to play chess whilst Tong Tong doesn't even know the rules

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Im pretty sure there is not a single dynasty scans comment section without someone saying "meh" and complaints about the moral integrity of a comedy yuri manga

It isn't dynasty scans if someone isn't complaining about the lack of moral/relationship perfection.

And if there ever were a series that embodied moral perfection, there’d be lectures about how unhealthy it was to set a standard that no one could attain.

Yup. Round and round we go on here, always the same cycle.

Tbh though, that is one of the things I really enjoy about Dynasty threads. Sure, it sometimes gets annoying, but I'd rather have people overanalysing things and still make some interesting points in the process than the contentless comments I find on many other pages. People here are always a bit over the top with their analysis, but even comments I disagreed with made me think about something for a while which was ultimately quite nice.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Huh, I'm confused. Wasn't Chapter 2 already uploaded like a week ago?

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Really cute, but with the latest update being in October 2020 I seriously doubt that this story will ever continue. And that chapter was already only 6 pages. Bit of a shame really, the characters looked cute and I am a sucker for classic tsundere stories

Why do we even exist? Just to suffer?

The yuri god giveth, the yuri god taketh

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Really cute, but with the latest update being in October 2020 I seriously doubt that this story will ever continue. And that chapter was already only 6 pages. Bit of a shame really, the characters looked cute and I am a sucker for classic tsundere stories

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

You know, when seeing the premise of this series 100% expected it to suck, but it's actually a solid comedy. Now I hope that onee-san just stays constantly aloof of what's going on with the other two characters

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Urgh, reading this makes me really uncomfortable, not enjoying it at all. I hate how pushy the childhood friend is and feel generally put off by their interactions, particularly with the younger sister as well. And still some kind of morbid fascination made me skip through the entire thing... Curiosity killed the cat is basically my life motto at this point.

last edited at May 12, 2021 11:58AM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I think some things are just easier to express in one language than in another, e.g. my brain just defaults to Japanese when it comes to reactions as Japanese offers so much material to work with

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I don't think fudan would need to be any kind of wordplay. Fujoshi (as I understand it) is basically an ironic term based on how female otakus and particularly BL-fans are seen as weird and abnormal in Japanese society, hence the use of 腐, which basically translates to "rotten".

That's why I personally think just substituting the 女 for 男 would be enough, making it fudanshi/腐男子. Then the original meaning would still be there, as in "rotten" men who enjoy seeing girls hold hands. But in the end it really doesn't matter anyway, fujoshi has only become a thing because people actually use it. If nobody uses fudanshi, joudanshi, himedanshi, or whatever, these words will not actually have any meaning to anybody

last edited at May 10, 2021 9:03AM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I love this manga so much, easily one of my all-time favourites. I'm really excited to see what Miyahara will create in the future, maybe she'll start a new series this year?

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

So I was wondering... is there an equivalent self-mocking term for male yuri-enthusiasts along the lines of Fujoshi?

Himedanshi maybe?

Wouldn't it just be Fudanshi? As far as I know, the literal meaning of Fujoshi is just "rotten woman", so theoretically it could just as easily be applied to readers of any other kind of "fringe" genre. I'm completely ignorant about the history of the term though, so I might just be talking crap

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Is it some kind of Mikanuji superpower that the discussion under any of her works inevitably becomes a heated debate about something? It's impressive, considering that for this one she did not even tried to clumsily integrate serious topics as she sometimes does

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Read it for the first time just recently, this series is really amazing at its high points, but some chapters really feel unnecessary or even a bit out of place. It's a bit of a shame, with some trimming and a better focus on consistently driving the main plot it could have probably become one of my all time favourites. It still is a manga I liked and enjoyed though.

On a different note, does anybody else feel how quickly times are changing when reading Yuri "classics" like SK or Girlfriends now? I feel like in those kind of manga, portraying lesbian characters almost inevitably meant that they'd need to portray social backlash, struggle, and fear of being outed. On the other hand, many more recent manga seem to not care much about this anymore and often even have characters explicitly mention that being gay isn't a big deal these days. Not saying we are living in gay utopia now (far from it sadly), but it still feels like perceptions have changed massively and you can somehow see that in Yuri as well

last edited at May 7, 2021 3:06PM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Has Lin Luxi already given up trying not to fall in love with Tong Tong? Can't blame her thb, it is pretty much impossible not to fall in love with Tong Tong.
I just hope the story unfolds nicely without any artificially injected drama, would be nice to just have it be a warm and simple love story

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Luxi worrying about Tong Tong flirting is kinda funny I think, as Tong Tong seems like the kind of person that would be completely oblivious to what flirting is even supposed to be. She's more the "blurting out whatever comes to her mind" kind of type.