Forum › Posts by almond

joined Mar 5, 2016

What the heck is this dialogue, lol. Japanese teenagers talking like black ladies with like a hint of southern twang. Y'all?

Hoo boy.

so what would be the most authentic way for japanese teenagers to speak english?

Not this. This sounds dumb. You have to be careful with "localization" because if the characters end up sounding different than any other doujin, your reader will pay more attention to that than what they're actually saying.

I get it, you think you're clever by giving characters southern drawls or valley girl accents, or etc but if no one else does that and just has them speak standard English, it's going to be really unnatural sounding.

"other doujin" are hardly the authorities on how to translate comics, though. lots of them leave in -zuras and any and all other cartoonish cutesy suffixes that no real person would actually use. that this doesn't follow the typical mold makes it notable but it isn't an inherent drawback. if having someone talk like a valley girl or some other iconic archetype is the best way of getting the broad point across then that's a legitimate translation choice. it isn't the translator's fault that you have imagined a "neutral" english voice for a character speaking with a very pronounced accent, dialect or artificial anime quirk.

joined Mar 5, 2016

What the heck is this dialogue, lol. Japanese teenagers talking like black ladies with like a hint of southern twang. Y'all?

Hoo boy.

so what would be the most authentic way for japanese teenagers to speak english?

almond
Image Comments 24 Jul 16:43
joined Mar 5, 2016
Dedcggpuwaaast0-orig

oworyu? what's this?!

joined Mar 5, 2016

there is considerable variety in just east asians so of course stylised characters based on japanese people and specifically their beauty standards are not going to look like they've been averaged across an entire continent.

joined Mar 5, 2016

Most Japanese characters in manga don't have easily recognizable Asian characteristics,

you mean that you think they lack the squinty eyes and yellow skin that you consider to be "asian characteristics", but which japanese people would not necessarily consider japanese characteristics. many japanese people can be quite pale and have rounder eyes than a lot of white people. additionally, the typical anime jawline is heavily based on japanese standards of what a jawline should look like.

joined Mar 5, 2016

it feels a little bit weird as a comic because the "pages" are independent panels of different sizes, but the pacing within the panels themselves is pretty dang good.

almond
Murasaki discussion 02 Jul 12:46
joined Mar 5, 2016

holy shit, this is going 100% right out of the gates. if it can follow up on such an intense first chapter it'll be a modern classic.

almond
Image Comments 20 Jun 15:23
joined Mar 5, 2016
Tumblr_pa8estnial1tj2kpyo1_raw

canonically, mario is a globally famous sex symbol. just so you know.

joined Mar 5, 2016

this ruled. got a lot of character to it.

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

This is cute and all but the badly drawn breasts keep putting me off more than they should.

imagine she just has a really shitty bra

joined Mar 5, 2016

Yeah, look, as far as breakups go, the only way it could be cleaner would be if idk angels descended down from on high and sang their praises. It's a comic about two people meeting, trying something out, and then remaining friends. If that's sour to you then you need to adjust your life expectations.

joined Mar 5, 2016

This is a very nice little comic. It's got heart and integrity. And the art is super charming. This is artist is really up my alley.

almond
Image Comments 22 May 12:26
joined Mar 5, 2016
Eftynmg

the =D is just a little too long so it looks like a dick

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

^
But... But...
I'm only 4'10... D;
Despite being a proper adult - or at least I'd like to think so...

by the end of next week we'll find someone who's only four apples tall

joined Mar 5, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shinmai_shimai_no_futari_gohan_ch24#3

"Would you like to go out with me?" Oh boy, the ship has sailed and it's not coming back.

forget sails, that question is rocket fuel

joined Mar 5, 2016

I prefer ham temptation myself.

ham?? in janssons?!

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

this is fucken brutal

joined Mar 5, 2016

just think about her brutal force when fingering orgasm

she'd just flick ya bean out into orbit

joined Mar 5, 2016

i’m taking a break from uni because i became depressed as fuk and i’m sitting home not exercising or finding a part time job or anything. i’m going back this fall but this chapter fucked me up like damn i got a little sister too she has a 4.8 gpa with community service hours and extracurriculars looking to go straight to harvard or ucla then going to med school or some shit. if i dont pick it up from here i’m gonna have to live in her house or be homeless in what might be less than a decade. that being said i’m also scared i’m gonna fuck everything up and feel worthless again when i go back to school. grades suck and i can’t make friends for shit feelsbadman.

there is so much bullshit, catastrophe and horror in the world that just staying alive and being with people is a damn good accomplishment. all standards of success like having a decade-long education, a house or multiple cars or promotions or whatever are created by an economic system that explicitly makes them impossible for the majority of the population. careers don't really exist for people under 30 and the way things are going it's unlikely they will be able to retire.

so living with your sister while you, idk, build up some strength, work on some practical skills or get any kind of job that isn't entirely soul-destroying is as good a plan as any. you don't need to justify your existence.

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

normal boobs change itso big boobs ..okay I learn something new.

it's the same principle as boners

almond
Forum Rules 01 Apr 20:30
joined Mar 5, 2016

sure it isn't very intellectually stimulating but what else would one expect from adding a comment section to cute pictures?

almond
Image Comments 27 Mar 14:20
joined Mar 5, 2016
Dvphvm5v4aaux7g-orig

every devilman image should have the tragedy tag, really

almond
Image Comments 26 Mar 15:39
joined Mar 5, 2016
I5wwcbx

ey widowmaker you giving me a lot of shit for someone who looks like grimace in a trash bag

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

this is that good shit

goofy, frank and cute. nicely done.

almond
joined Mar 5, 2016

next chapter is just going to be OG devilman