Forum › Posts by Shimapanda

Shimapanda Uploader
Butterfly discussion 24 Nov 14:36
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Jin + LL! = Awesome. I liked the little extras too in her attempts to shove everyone in. I hope she does more because this was great.

She actually said last night on Twitter that she wants to release two books at Winter Comiket, an original story and probably a Love Live book as well. (Although she doesn't know whether she'll actually be able to do that yet.)

Crosses fingers!

last edited at Nov 24, 2014 2:36PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

What a great chapter, so, there is more or is the end?

This is the end, although if I can convince NHFH we'll do the prologue chapter.

Thank you so much ShimaP for helping me out :D I ordered them just now. Can't wait to see them in front of my house XD

Thank you for supporting doujin artists!!!! <3

Honestly, even though NicoMaki is number three in my top ten OTP list, I could live with Maki ending up with anyone, so long as she's happy, as long as it's with a woman except for fucking Rin.

Time to translate a MakiRin doujin just for you <3

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Is that the one I need order or there's a different link?

Yep, that's right! This is the direct TnA link:
http://www.toranoana.jp/mailorder/cot/pagekit/0000/00/05/000000058131/index.html

Definitely have a look around if there's anything else you want to add to your order, it'll all come in one box so ordering in bulk helps even out the Tenso shipping fees. Just watch out for books marked in red with 販売開始予定商品, that's a preorder.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

edit: nvm I just re-read and nico mentions she's not an idol anymore which means she must have lost.

I am fairly sure Nico won the contest, hence why she got on the television and why Maki saw her and came to her. She's less of an idol and more of a... talent, I guess. A lesser known TV star. Not the idol she dreamed of being.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Yeah, there's a half-dozen or so other authors in the anthology that are unrelated to the Crystal Sugar & Machine Gun story. All short things, most reasonably interesting, but scanning from a tankoubon is a pain if I'm not willing to rip up my books.

As for forwarding services, I use Tenso, which I know a lot of people complain about because of prices but I've never had an issue with them, eh. I once had books arrive on my doorstop in Australia something like 3 or 4 days after they arrived at Tenso's warehouses. I don't mind paying extra for that kind of speed. I suspect most any of the forwarding or proxy purchasing services you can find would work well enough as well.

last edited at Nov 16, 2014 11:18PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

It's so beautiful I'm gonna cry!!! God I love NicoMaki so much!
Oh and btw, I kinda want to buy a physical copy of this doujin series. Anyone knows where I can order them online? :3

I believe both the anthology and the sequel stand-alone book are both still in stock on Tora no Ana. TnA plays nicely with overseas forwarding companies, unlike Melonbooks, so I recommend using them. That's where I got mine from.

Let me know if you need any help with it. I TOTALLY encourage people to buy physical copies of any doujin works they like! Support the artists, yo!

last edited at Nov 16, 2014 9:07PM

Shimapanda Uploader
ROLE PLAYING YURI 13 Nov 22:49
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

So what system are we rolling with this time guys? Princess: The Hopeful seems interesting for a dramatic kind of game but we might have to homebrew some Sempai rules for it, I dunno. MaidRPG would work pretty easily, just make the Master your Sempai instead and it's all good to go. Or I suppose we could just stick with something traditional like D&D or Pathfinder, there's some good homebrew stuff out there that could easily work, so long as you fix up the Diplomacy rules to stop some asshole rolling a 20 Charisma Diplomancer or something and getting the sempai to notice them from level 1. I suppose BESM is always a good fallback but I never really got into those rules somehow.

wait what were we talking about here again

last edited at Nov 13, 2014 10:50PM

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

But based one the credit page, NHFH's the uke?

Yes! I bully them around and make them do things for me. And Kouhai is M and knows she likes it.

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Shh, tarsis, shh. This is not a place for logic and science.

Do not question the magical lesbian science babies.

last edited at Nov 6, 2014 3:12AM

Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Kyaaah, soooo cute!!!! Thank you so much NHFH!!!!! Lol gotta love the little cockblocker. Baby tsun tsun queen ftw!

In this case, wouldn't it be a clam jam

I prefer the term beaver dammed, personally.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

AkikoXi: Agreed entirely. But this is sinner week where we do traitorous things. Ahahaha.

Shimapanda Uploader
Quantity; Yaoi vs Yuri 20 Oct 20:47
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I was under the impression most yuri/GL was written for men. Interesting to find it's written for girls. I wonder why there are more BL fans? I find this interesting, as I am from the west, and I think lesbian content seems more acceptable than gay male content here. Though, I could be mistaken, and it certainly changes from country to country.

As a heads up, I'm speaking mainly about Japan here~ I wouldn't have a clue about the western side of the fandom.

That said, you only have to look at some of the earlier series (things like Rose of Versailles and Marimite, for example) to see the extreme shoujo influence on the genre. The "pure" yuri stereotype comes from those sorts of titles as well. Yuri being targeted at women makes sense - because there's a strong sense of it being the "purest" of deep friendship between women, which is generally seen as incredibly virtuous. (You can see it in a lot of western literature, even.) Also, the "senpai noticed me" / "oneesama" style things have roots in that it's seen as pretty normal for girls to be attracted to other girls during school (and ONLY during school... it's something you grow out of). After all... better to be fawning over your senpai than to be sleeping around with guys. (Yes, all this is pretty gross/sexist/gay-erasing! Wonderful, innit?)

Stuff's changing, though. And thank god for that.

Shimapanda Uploader
Quantity; Yaoi vs Yuri 20 Oct 18:50
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

There are simply many, many more BL fans, both in Japan and globally.

When you have I don't know how many BL magazines running for many years, and numerous BL anime series, etc., but Yuri magazines struggle and fall time and time again (Hirari, Tsubomi, etc.), you can see it's simply a matter of market sizes.

The reasons are complicated, however, I believe part of it is because of the target audience for yuri. Much of it is very influenced by shoujo manga, as you can see from the vast majority of Yuri Hime stories. Yuri was also traditionally targeted at young women. It's only recently that yuri has started changing and becoming more "appealing" to male audiences with less typical shoujo romance titles coming into existence.

... However, this creates a schism as well. People who enjoy the pure-pure Marimite-style yuri do not necessarily enjoy "canon" yuri where the girls actually wind up kissing (and whatnot). People who enjoy yuri fanservice/subtext seen in various recent series (e.g., Nanoha, Madoka) may not enjoy the traditional yuri manga base (e.g., anything from Yuri Hime). It creates a very fragmented market.

last edited at Oct 20, 2014 6:56PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Thanks for all the kind words particularly about the letters. With how much of a pain in the arse they were it's a real motivator to hear people notice the hard work I put in! <3 Thanks all!

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Great job! Those letters were so hard to read in the book, not to mention typeset.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. CRYING FOR DAYS DOING THOSE FREAKING DOUBLE PAGERS.

I am still so badly affected by the experience that I signed up literally to comment on this. Cry cry cry.

(Glad to see everyone's enjoying it! It really is an amazing doujin!)