Forum › Posts by karp

joined May 1, 2013

This chapter shows that, once again, this mangaka is an immensely talented writer who just couldn't quite get their story told in less chapters than they had planned.

I mean, sure, but part of being a good writer is knowing how to plan your story so that it's presented concisely and effectively. The fact that they couldn't wrap things up within 23 (huge, 50 page) chapters doesn't exactly speak well of their talent, to be honest.

Did you really feel like this didn't wrap things up with the three main girls? It is very clear what's going to happen: Kotooka and Washio end up together when they grow up, and Tsukasa is straight and dates boys, and they all still are friends.

They had the annoying "let's enjoy our ambiguous youth before these memories fade like dew on the morning grass," but that's a manga thing... freaking Sasameki Koto ended with that. I'm really bugged Kotooka didn't come out to her friends as gay, but this story seemed totally wrapped up.

Now the boys, that was a big ol' "what the hell is even going on?" there at the end.

joined May 1, 2013

So.... secrets are good now? I'm confused.

ENTIRE MANGA: Secrets are destructive and bad!

LAST CHAPTER: Actually secrets are totally ok never mind

last edited at May 25, 2017 7:28PM

joined May 1, 2013

I wonder if disappointment with this manga is directly correlated with how much you think Tsukasa is the main character.

I will support any yuri that has actual internalized homophobia as a real theme.

joined May 1, 2013

Thematically, the ending that makes the most sense to me is that two of the girls pair off, and Kotooka is one of them, AND the three of them remain friends.

It would be absolutely perplexing to prove Kotooka right, but anything else seems like it'd work.

joined May 1, 2013

So, uh, she's still gonna leave her to have kids, but not yet?

joined May 1, 2013

Oh, that's why this comic makes no sense. It takes place in an alternate universe, as evidenced by the fact that the characters live in a world where chicken makes your face puffy.

joined May 1, 2013

I've tried to read this a couple of times, and I just cannot follow it. I have no idea what's going on. Am I alone, here?

joined May 1, 2013

I'm actually finding Kotooka the most interesting and sympathetic character, because you can see her going through this process of deliberately deciding to be miserable because she thinks it's better than the alternative.

She knows she's been attracted to girls for a while, or she wouldn't so desperately be trying to turn herself "normal." I figure her main motivation isn't "girls should like boys" but rather a sense that straight girls are going to break her heart: Shiratori and Washio are just going to get over their gay phases eventually, and damn it, Kotooka is going to get to that point without getting her hopes up. It's a little more nuanced than I originally expected.

joined May 1, 2013

Oh, huh, I had no idea she ran Hella Yuri. It's actually a good little service for Steam, and it's clever and honest marketing for her own games... I found Black Closet through it.

karp
Kase-san discussion 21 Aug 22:39
joined May 1, 2013

I'm actually getting kinda confused about this. Is this supposed to be a comedy of errors where Yamada never understands how smitten Kase is despite how obvious it gets, or are we supposed to take Yamada's insecurities seriously, here?

Both?

I'll definitely keep giving it a chance, but if we're supposed to be taking it seriously, Yamada has something seriously wrong with her. Comically naive is one thing, but the chick acts like she doesn't know what boobs are.

karp
Kase-san discussion 21 Aug 18:36
joined May 1, 2013

I'm actually getting kinda confused about this. Is this supposed to be a comedy of errors where Yamada never understands how smitten Kase is despite how obvious it gets, or are we supposed to take Yamada's insecurities seriously, here?

joined May 1, 2013

Yuna and Hina are both very nice tops/bottoms ❤
Idk if it was the same for others, but one thing I absolutely didn't expect was that, besides Sachi, the girls I thought would top were in fact not the ones who did/it was mutual/unexpected reversal, which was pretty chill tbh. It was executed damn smoothly

The sex scenes, despite the good, in-character writing, were awkward. Those moans.

But. It really shows the quality of this game that the sex scenes were clearly considered ways to get new character insight. Aki topping-from-the-bottom showed things about her and their relationship that couldn't have happened any other way.

joined May 1, 2013

I wanted more Nena/Aki interaction. Aki meets people and she's all quietly amused like "Girl, you gay and I bet you don't even know." Nena meets people and is irritated like "Oh my god you guys are gay will you just shut up"

joined May 1, 2013

needs more aki

karp
Collectors discussion 31 Mar 23:59
joined May 1, 2013

Oh awesome, another chapter in The Adventures of Naomi And Her Two Sidekicks who might be gay and dating and have hobbies or something I dunno Hey what's Naomi doing?

karp
Lily Love discussion 02 Mar 00:13
joined May 1, 2013

it's probably just P'Mew trying to surprise Donut with a hug

i think we all know who it is thats behind her.

No way, if it's sneak-hugs, we know who it's gotta be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJgMpCRBAw

karp
Lily Love discussion 01 Mar 18:49
joined May 1, 2013

isn't this the first full nude(ish) we've seen of a character?

EDIT: actually, it's probably just P'Mew trying to surprise Donut with a hug, meant to look all scary so it'll be a cliffhanger.

Good know... but next you show a spoiler PLEASEEE use the spoiler tag... I was really trying hard not to read any spoilers. I actually wanted to think about who it was going to be and have an excuse to analyze the chapter for my friends who were also reading this 3;

This was just speculation, too.

karp
Lily Love discussion 01 Mar 17:20
joined May 1, 2013

Ploy's obviously the secret shadow, right? If it was the boyfriend, they'd just have shown him.

EDIT: actually, it's probably just P'Mew trying to surprise Donut with a hug, meant to look all scary so it'll be a cliffhanger.

last edited at Mar 1, 2016 5:22PM

joined May 1, 2013

So right, there's a bit of a cultural divide, here, but speaking as a Westerner, I don't particularly see much fragile beauty in an undefined, temporary, chaste relationship that it's implied the participants will look back on with bittersweet sighs while caring for their husbands. I'm into the struggles of identity, place in society, and self-concept... and a good coming-out story helps, too.

So, let's make a list of the best yuri stories that are actually about being homosexual or otherwise LGBT. Ones where it's either explicitly stated, or identity questions are at least wrestled with.

karp
Lily Love discussion 19 Nov 00:48
joined May 1, 2013

Really getting a teensy bit sick of the fickle bisexual romance villains in these yuri stories. Seems like it's popping up more and more.

karp
Philosophia discussion 24 May 18:59
joined May 1, 2013

I have a feeling that author just didn't know how to continue the story or had to finish it fast, so he/she just "aw fuk it, she flies away and die and main character is alone forever and then... aw yes, let's make 'after xxx years' useless scene to fill some space... OH AND LET'S MAKE HER A PIMP".

I presume the original plan was a much longer story. Everything that happens would totally work if it was happening spread across five chapters rather than one.

Except her being a pimp. That never would have worked.

last edited at May 24, 2015 6:59PM

karp
Philosophia discussion 24 May 14:59
joined May 1, 2013

This is one of the most confusing endings I've ever seen in any medium. Leaving aside everything else... if the sibling was born after Tomo disappeared, that means that Ai is at least twenty years older than him or her. And his/her professor. And second place to a dead person. This does not strike me as the blossoming of a positive romantic relationship.

Really, actually, I'm most baffled by the pimp thing. I guess it fits in the theme of Ai avoiding the easy life where people just cater to her because of her looks, but in such a strange way, it's incredibly distracting. If the love interest wasn't secretly a lesbian pimp, the whole plot would go a lot smoother. Good general rule for writing fiction.

last edited at May 24, 2015 3:03PM

karp
Philosophia discussion 24 May 14:44
joined May 1, 2013

Wait... there's a brother? When did... what? People here are saying that wasn't Tomo, but it clearly was. I'm confused.

Almost as confused as I am about there being a pimp specifically for middle-aged, bisexual housewives.

last edited at May 24, 2015 2:51PM

karp
Collectors discussion 20 May 23:26
joined May 1, 2013

I know she's not even one of the lesbians, but can Naomi just take over as main character? She super rules.

joined May 1, 2013

I might be alone here, but it's really unpleasant to see even a fictional character called a slut. I also can't fully wrap my head around that way of judging way of looking at characters. Whether or not Remi's a well-drawn character, I certainly don't think we're intended to judge her negatively for her views on sex.

We can judge her on what she did though.

Which is what, precisely?

Worst thing she did was being mean in the confrontation with Ruki on the beach, and even then she was written to have a benevolent ultimate goal.