Forum › What's your favorite obscure yuri?

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

Maybe it slipped through the sands of time, or maybe there's a good reason it's not popular, but either way you remember and treasure that manga.

Some examples from me: I love the philosophical wanderings and struggle to get closer to an unattainable crush in Sugar wa Otoshigoro, but it got dropped for its tragic ending. Mai no Mushigurashi got featured on Dynasty, but still didn't get many readers. Maybe that's because it's about bugs, but it's such a beautiful love story...

last edited at Jan 26, 2022 4:51AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Assuming they count, Takemoto Izumi's Transistor Venus and Sakura's Boundaries. Although both suffer a bit from the whole, uh, "yuri as a gimmick", sorta, thing. But whatever. They are great.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Dunno if it counts as obscure but Konohana Kitan

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Most of what I like enough to actually name here probably don't qualify as obscure. Maybe Shoujo Kishidan × Knight Tale?

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

The anime DIVERGENCE EVE both seasons

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Butterfly69 is super fun. I wish to read another Natsuneko yuri one day. Haruno Nanae is also really great. But mostly their stories are old, I don't think they're that obscure otherwise.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Simoun, man, the best darn yuri anime that nobody talks about from the 2000s...

Butterfly69 is super fun. I wish to read another Natsuneko yuri one day.

I see you are a person of culture, as well. :^)

last edited at Oct 14, 2022 7:22AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

Konohana Kitan
The anime's a straight up masterpiece and the manga's not far behind (wish I could read it in English though)

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Yokohama Shopping Log is one of my favorite manga of all time which has sadly grown quite obscure with the passage of time. It is one of those rare works of art that will stay with me for as long as I live. The fact that it is a low-key yuri story is practically unknown in circles that appreciate this genre. To give an idea of how obscure a yuri it has become in the west, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou can't even be found here on Dynasty.

There were even a couple of anime OVAs that animated a small portion of the story back in the late 90s although finding them in this day and age is no simple feat.

https://www.yugenykk.org/

Edit: Although I have read or watched most of the works mentioned here in this thread, some are titles I probably never would have thought of or encountered again despite their quality. So thanks for the recommendations. I think I will have to be sure to revisit some of these and check out those I am unfamiliar with.

last edited at Oct 16, 2022 8:16AM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

^ I just found out about the YKK English release when I went to the World Science Fiction Convention last month. So excited! (It'll be so much less effort to read than my Japanese edition. Not fluent enough to read it without referring to my dictionary several times per page. But I practically know it by heart at this point.) Serialized 1994-2006, and finally seeing an official English release. Took long enough, but this amazing series deserved it.

Most of my favorites probably qualify as obscure only because of age--they're all from 2010 or before:
Aqua Blue Cinema
Chatting at the Amber Teahouse
Ebisu-san and Hotei-san

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

^^Huh, I actually picked up the English release for that recently just cause I really liled the cover. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's always thrilling when an old work gets licensed cause it gives me hope that some of my older favorites still have a chance.

To reply you must either login or sign up.