Forum › How to Break a Triangle discussion

joined Oct 24, 2023

People here are kinda unhinged with their hate lol the first few chapters everyone hated Erika and thought she was horrible for having feelings for Koto and never speaking up, ignoring that she had no way of making a move on a friend grieving the tragic disappearance/death of her SO

Don't you think it's really funny to see their opinions since we can get where these hates come from.

Then after Erika didn't turn out to be the classic villain trying to stir shit, everyone hates Koto, ignoring she is clearly traumatized over losing Aya.

Erika doesn't have to do anything.
As far as she is concerned, Koto/Aya relationship wouldn't last long anyway.
Erika is too kind to be a villain imo though.

And for koto…l think most of the hates she gets is from crazy Erika fans.
They just can't accept how could Koto not choose Erika, who is the best girl in their eyes.
Furthermore, Koto did treat Erika like shit while Erika keeps hopeless in love with her, which they deem Koto doesn't deserve it at all.
Well, it's understandable.

Next on the hate train is Aya probably, after she makes a typical 14 year old blunder, instead of acting as a perfect enlightened human haha

You are so right lol.
I will definitely fucking hate her if it turns out she is a perfect human being.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Why are people looking for a villain in a story that doesn't have nor need one? The 'antagonist' here is a difficult to deal with life situation, and all three of our main characters are the protagonists struggling with it in their own way. This is an extremely common format for a story, evil scheming secret villains are comparatively very very rare. You'll enjoy the story much more if you stop getting distracted searching for something that's not there and focus on what is: a human drama about three women struggling to adapt to some weird shit that happened.

joined Oct 24, 2023

The problem is Erika is the one seeing herself as a villain LOL.
She thought it's some kind of betrayal because she can't help but hope the two, who are both supposed to be her best friend would break up at the end of the road so she can finally get a chance.

And no one knows better than her that she only helped the two to get back together is not out of friendship but in the hope that Koto will move on from Aya since that seven years proved Koto can't move forward on her own.
That's the main reason she wrote that Tanabata wish.

I personally don't feel the same way (see her as a villain) but l truly can't bring myself to care about her suffering.
Unlike Aya's situation, Erika's struggle is really annoying since it's not really that hard to give up on sb who never looks in her direction.
Unfortunately, she doesn't even fucking try.(It's funny that some Erika fans blame Koto for it

last edited at Apr 9, 2024 8:19AM

joined Mar 2, 2024

Unlike Aya's situation, Erika's struggle is really annoying since it's not really that hard to give up on sb who never looks in her direction.
Unfortunately, she doesn't even fucking try.(It's funny that some Erika fans blame Koto for i

I view Erika's struggle as a little bit similar with Koto, not in a way of losing her loved one so suddenly but more in a way that her feelings get stuck for seven years. Erika couldn't even try to make a move on Koto, knowing well Koto was being stuck with Aya's disappearance.
Remember the chapter where Erika just found out that Koto tried to fall in love with someone else (but failed anyway)? Erika was wondering if it's even fair for Aya if she decided to try to make a move or confess her feelings to Koto. She definitely feel it doesn't feel right for her to do that so she never try. What she does is patiently wait for Koto to be able to heal from the trauma and move on from Aya completely before she could finally try on confessing her real feelings.

So, basically Aya's disappearance wasn't only affecting Koto's love life, but also Erika's.

ps. I wouldn't say I'm Erika's fans nor Koto's and neither Aya's. I love the main trio and fond of how distinctive they are, as simple as that

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Akuma no sasayaki, indeed.

joined Apr 16, 2022

in this thread we have Koto x Erika fans and Koto x Aya fans, but is anyone else an Aya x Erika fan?

joined Mar 2, 2024

in this thread we have Koto x Erika fans and Koto x Aya fans, but is anyone else an Aya x Erika fan?

I'm sure I saw some of Aya x Erika fans from previous posts or in other forum aside dynasty. Logically speaking, in the big what if ground, I honestly think Aya x Erika would make a healthy couple (let's put aside the age gap matter in this theory). Both of them knows how to do things right, what needs to be done to move forward, and if they get tackled by an issue, they definitely would talk it out. Erika would bring it first to solve the matter meanwhile Aya would probably try to bottle it as she doesn't want to get abandoned like how her mother did. That's how I imagine it would be.

But still, that is not the point of this series looking how their hearts are already set, for now. It's still interesting to imagine them nonetheless.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

After re-reading the 10 chapters, I noticed a few things.

• The time travel is never addressed. Aya just re-appeared after 7 years on the day Koto and Erika were visiting their old middle school and Koto was finally ready to move on. It's too much of a coincidence.

• Aya has that bracelet with a bell around her wrist at all times. It's often featured. I wonder how significant it is

• There's still that conversation between Aya and Erika on Tanabata day that hasn't been addressed yet. Did Aya forget or is she a version of Aya from the day before? Is it even the "real" Aya or are we in some kind of theater play?

I can't help but think that in the end, it'll be all a play and the characters will bow to the audience. But it'd be a bit too easy/corny. I hope there's more to it than "thank you for watching the play written by Koto".

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Me me me! I've been shipping them since ch 1 lol. If they ever got together they'd totally be power couple material.

joined Mar 2, 2024

The time travel is never addressed. Aya just re-appeared after 7 years on the day Koto and Erika were visiting their old middle school and Koto was finally ready to move on. It's too much of a coincidence.

About this, I actually wonder what Erika was about to say before Koto cut her because of the bell sounds.

"Koto, you know..."
Was she about to finally tell her feelings and Aya reappeared at such perfect timing?

There's still that conversation between Aya and Erika on Tanabata day that hasn't been addressed yet. Did Aya forget or is she a version of Aya from the day before? Is it even the "real" Aya or are we in some kind of theater play?

Ya this makes me think that there might be parallel universe in the story. The time just didn't match up for the "current" Aya who was still on D-1 Tanabata, meanwhile Erika said that they had a talk during the Tanabata day. If that really is the case then there should be "original" Aya somewhere, the version who talked with Erika before disappear.

For now I believe there's something more than just this story being all a play, but we'll see. This back and forth story flow just hides so many things. What a smart way to get our brain to wonder here and there.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Ahhh geez I quite enjoyed Girl Through the Viewfinder but there's no doubt it was a bit rough around the edges, often saying less than would reasonably be expected a story. This one is on another level, like Kabocha is really figuring it out.

I'm super sad to have started reading this while it's ongoing. I love love the blank panels with just, staring. That's gotta be the Kabocha Specialty. I love the harsh transitions. The imagery? Oh my gosh the imagery. The allusions. The theming. Gosh, it's so cool to read an Age Gap story that actually has something to say about age. A yuri series that actually has a plot and unique, developed characters. The moodiness is excellent too, and the payoffs being so cute help it rarely feel suffocating.

The volume writing is really intriguing, too. Volume 1 is really mysterious and unsettling. There are secrets, and suggestions, and deep character issues. I assumed surely, this is a tragic story where someone did a very bad thing they shouldn't have. Then Volume 2 happens and some of that lingers but little is explored further in favour of backstory and slow plot development. Now Volume 3 is setting its own pace, expanding the scope of the story and honing in on Koto and Aya's relationship troubles. I'm not sure what to make of this. I thought for sure after Volume 1 this would be a Mystery/Drama exploring the origin and fallout from Aya's disappearance. That "broke the triangle," after all. Apparently, the story has a lot more to say. I really hope it's able to before closing.

(P.S. My absolute fav part of this story is Aya's character. Hard to describe exactly. She's just a great realisation of the "perfect" fish out of water.)

Img_20200401_132631
joined Jun 17, 2018

I'm starting to think that Koto is delusional or something, Aya is in her mind cause she can't forget her and Erika is just pretending to believe Koto, knowing the situation, just for her sanity (and waiting for her recover to finally be with her).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm starting to think that Koto is delusional or something, Aya is in her mind cause she can't forget her and Erika is just pretending to believe Koto, knowing the situation, just for her sanity (and waiting for her recover to finally be with her).

Wait--you mean that Aya never actually came back and everything has just been Koto's hallucination?

But we've seen returned-Aya interact with other people when Koto isn't around--kind of a lot, actually.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Wait--you mean that Aya never actually came back and everything has just been Koto's hallucination?

But we've seen returned-Aya interact with other people when Koto isn't around--kind of a lot, actually.

Maybe the Power of Lesbian Angst actually turned Koto's memory of Aya into a physical manifestation. It wouldn't be the first time someone let their ex dominate their existence.

__amaori_renako_and_ouzuka_mai_watashi_ga_koibito_ni_nareru_wake_naijan_murimuri_drawn_by_monsieur__d7bc0a80fd23f14c58ed2720509220b2
joined Oct 15, 2021

This happened to a buddy of mine

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maybe the Power of Lesbian Angst actually turned Koto's memory of Aya into a physical manifestation. It wouldn't be the first time someone let their ex dominate their existence.

The Power of Lesbian Angst is certainly strong in this one--no doubt about that. I don't get the impression that's where the story is going, though.

But if so, then maybe Erika was hallucinating wishing that Aya would disappear, which means . . . Aya has been there all along!

An intriguing theory, to be sure . . .

joined Jul 8, 2020

Well yeah of course Koto would be like that. For Aya its just yesterday the last time she met Koto, but for Koto it's been 7 years without Aya.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 8:52PM

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

this shit keeps getting better and better ngl it's a banger

20230514_183407
joined Mar 24, 2015

this shit keeps getting better and better ngl it's a banger

100% not the words I would've used to describe this and I love it

Icon
joined Apr 7, 2024

I go through the 5 stages of grief reading this, seriously. Besides that, I absolutely love Kabocha's artwork. And that mysterious unsettling vibe they give at the end of chapters. I feel bad for all 3 of the main characters.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 10:30PM

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

This manga, I swear to god. All heartache, no satisfaction. Everyone is lonely, nobody is happy, and everything is beautiful.

aaaaaagh

joined Feb 20, 2023

This build up with "I just want to go back to THAT summer", almost feels like Koto is going to go back in time

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Dammit this chapter was such vibes but it said NOTHING! Ahh. It was really great to see the past again. I hope Koto takes it easy on poor Aya…

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Yeah, she's gonna turn yandere...

Fjavttcwyaqbvef
joined Feb 3, 2023

I loved this chapter. It gave us a look through Koto's grief and it is SO real.

What happened to Koto happens a lot. I had a friend that became a widow at 30 yo and he was just like her.

Even after years, he never managed to date someone, because he was always thinking about his late wife. In his mind, she was perfect, their life would be perfect, their house would be perfect, the children they would have would be perfect, they would never fight, never struggle. How could any living person compete with that? Everyone makes mistakes, every couple argues. But when someone isn't here anymore you can just say "well A would never do that! A wouldn't say that!" and how can anyone prove otherwise?

Idealizing the one you lost is a sure way to be miserable forever.

Grief is no joke.

last edited at Apr 23, 2024 5:34AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.