Forum › How to Break a Triangle discussion

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Just wait for her to be legal age and it's fine. :3

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I can’t quite decide if I want a full eventual explanation of the time travel and the reasons for it, or if the story should go the “My Younger Senpai” route and say, “She’s back, somehow it’s time travel—deal with it.”

I like the art and the scene pacing so far, in any case.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Gives us a few pieces of the puzzle. Aya was last seen the day of the Tanabata Festival, but Aya remembers it being the day before the festival when she ends up in the future. Erika supposedly had a conversation of some kind with Aya on the day of the Tanabata Festival, and may be the last person who saw her before she disappeared. But, Erika is also curious about what Aya did after leaving said conversation, so it's unlikely (but NOT disproven) Erika was directly involved.

Good catch. Given the Tanabata theme, it could be a wish Erika wrote and hung up on the bamboo. She must have been tormented with guilt ever since, in that case.

This reappeared Aya seems to be fully functional and capable of independent feeling and thinking, and also corporeal enough for a check up at hospital, so I think we can rule out the "ghost" and "Koto's and Erika's projection" theories.

Of all the theories posted so far, this is the one I like the best. Erika literally murdering Aya, as a previous poster suggested, seems just a bit too dark/edgy for this sort of manga, but Erika making a Tanabata wish for Aya to "go away" or similar seems like a much more plausible thing for a heartbroken and jealous 14-year-old to do. Another piece of supporting evidence is that Erika believed Aya was alive this whole time, even though the normal assumption after a young girl has been missing for years would be that she's dead. It would also help explain her somewhat contradictory actions in this chapter: she goes out of her way to help out Aya and observes how, with the benefit of hindsight, Aya wasn't really an untouchable existence like she seemed at the time but a fragile teenager just like her; at the same time, however, she continues to display some jealousy and resentment, unnecessarily bringing up Aya's dead grandfather and lying that she doesn't know how Koto feels about Aya.

(And yeah, I highly doubt Aya is a ghost or projection: we see her taking a shower, changing clothes, etc. Maybe there'll be some huge twist but right now all signs point to time travel.)

Now, moving on from Erika speculations, I'll say that the thing I liked the most about this chapter is how seriously it's treating its ridiculous premise. It's so common for manga to just play stuff like this for comedy, but I really appreciated how unflinchingly it depicted what the real results would be of someone being flung forward in time seven years. Aya has been forcibly removed from everything she once knew; her friends have grown up, her home's no longer there, and her grandfather died without her even being there. It's an incredible trauma that she can't even really grieve because she wasn't around for it all to happen to her. Erika asks why Aya thought now was the right time to say she was dating Koto, but I think it was because Aya is desperately trying to retain whatever scraps she can of the world she used to exist in. While she continues to be a mysterious character in many ways, all this does a great job of making her compelling to me. In that sense, the biggest weakness of the manga so far is Koto, who is far less interesting than both Aya and Erika, but hopefully the next chapter will give her more of a spotlight so we can have a better sense of what Adult Koto is like.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

but I really appreciated how unflinchingly it depicted what the real results would be of someone being flung forward in time seven years.

don't you think that in these supernatural type stories, the most realistic thing would be the police and government getting involved? people always seem to accept the supernatural, instead of doing science. some sort of paranormal stuff is going on. imagine if that happened in your town right now. that person would be experimented on by the military within a week of the local authorities finding out about it.

i'd like to see that type of story once in a while.

look forward to my new gender bender romantic comedy manga coming out soon:
i suddenly woke up as a girl one day and now the government is trying to experiment on me

joined Apr 16, 2022

but I really appreciated how unflinchingly it depicted what the real results would be of someone being flung forward in time seven years.

don't you think that in these supernatural type stories, the most realistic thing would be the police and government getting involved? people always seem to accept the supernatural, instead of doing science. some sort of paranormal stuff is going on. imagine if that happened in your town right now. that person would be experimented on by the military within a week of the local authorities finding out about it.

i'd like to see that type of story once in a while.

look forward to my new gender bender romantic comedy manga coming out soon:
i suddenly woke up as a girl one day and now the government is trying to experiment on me

Well, I was more talking about the personal, psychological consequences. Exploring the global consequences of supernatural events being proven to be true also makes for an interesting story, just a much different one lol.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

I think it would depend on the area. In my region, the authorities are apathetic and incompetent af. Not to mention corrupt. If something supernatural like this happened to someone I cared about, I wouldn't turn them over to the police unless some freaky violence was involved.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I would 100% read that

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

I would 100% read that

me too tbh.

joined Jul 26, 2019

Gives us a few pieces of the puzzle. Aya was last seen the day of the Tanabata Festival, but Aya remembers it being the day before the festival when she ends up in the future. Erika supposedly had a conversation of some kind with Aya on the day of the Tanabata Festival, and may be the last person who saw her before she disappeared. But, Erika is also curious about what Aya did after leaving said conversation, so it's unlikely (but NOT disproven) Erika was directly involved.

Good catch. Given the Tanabata theme, it could be a wish Erika wrote and hung up on the bamboo. She must have been tormented with guilt ever since, in that case.

This reappeared Aya seems to be fully functional and capable of independent feeling and thinking, and also corporeal enough for a check up at hospital, so I think we can rule out the "ghost" and "Koto's and Erika's projection" theories.

Of all the theories posted so far, this is the one I like the best. Erika literally murdering Aya, as a previous poster suggested, seems just a bit too dark/edgy for this sort of manga, but Erika making a Tanabata wish for Aya to "go away" or similar seems like a much more plausible thing for a heartbroken and jealous 14-year-old to do. Another piece of supporting evidence is that Erika believed Aya was alive this whole time, even though the normal assumption after a young girl has been missing for years would be that she's dead. It would also help explain her somewhat contradictory actions in this chapter: she goes out of her way to help out Aya and observes how, with the benefit of hindsight, Aya wasn't really an untouchable existence like she seemed at the time but a fragile teenager just like her; at the same time, however, she continues to display some jealousy and resentment, unnecessarily bringing up Aya's dead grandfather and lying that she doesn't know how Koto feels about Aya.

(And yeah, I highly doubt Aya is a ghost or projection: we see her taking a shower, changing clothes, etc. Maybe there'll be some huge twist but right now all signs point to time travel.)

Now, moving on from Erika speculations, I'll say that the thing I liked the most about this chapter is how seriously it's treating its ridiculous premise. It's so common for manga to just play stuff like this for comedy, but I really appreciated how unflinchingly it depicted what the real results would be of someone being flung forward in time seven years. Aya has been forcibly removed from everything she once knew; her friends have grown up, her home's no longer there, and her grandfather died without her even being there. It's an incredible trauma that she can't even really grieve because she wasn't around for it all to happen to her. Erika asks why Aya thought now was the right time to say she was dating Koto, but I think it was because Aya is desperately trying to retain whatever scraps she can of the world she used to exist in. While she continues to be a mysterious character in many ways, all this does a great job of making her compelling to me. In that sense, the biggest weakness of the manga so far is Koto, who is far less interesting than both Aya and Erika, but hopefully the next chapter will give her more of a spotlight so we can have a better sense of what Adult Koto is like.

I’ve been following this series closely on the Japanese apps it’s posted on so I’m a few chapters ahead, but I can say we will get a better insight into Koto’s perspective soon, just not next chapter heh. I’m very impressed with how both Aya and Erika are handling things. And yeah, you can tell there’s a measure of guilt on Erika’s part. I’ve always just assumed maybe she said something not so nice to Aya on the day of her disappearance. But the Tanabata wish theory makes more sense! Didn’t think of that.

For those who want to support the author and/or can read Japanese, you can purchase chapters on kindle via Amazon Japan. It’s not as up to date as Piccoman but it’s releasing new chapters at least monthly.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

At this point they might as well make it a How to Keep a Triangle but a few years down the line to keep it legal

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

At this point they might as well make it a How to Keep a Triangle but a few years down the line to keep it legal

You know what. I'm on board. Polyamory for the win~

last edited at Sep 7, 2023 9:19AM

Screenshot_20220418-181859_chrome
joined Jul 6, 2022

i love the premise soooo much but i dont know what ill do if it goes down the uni x middle school student path.....genuinely hyped for it otherwise. this authors other work was amazing (even if it was so short) so i have high hopes

Just wait for her to be legal age and it's fine. :3

uuuhhhmmm.... thats kinda weird

joined Sep 6, 2023

I’ve been following this series closely on the Japanese apps it’s posted on so I’m a few chapters ahead, but I can say we will get a better insight into Koto’s perspective soon, just not next chapter heh. I’m very impressed with how both Aya and Erika are handling things. And yeah, you can tell there’s a measure of guilt on Erika’s part. I’ve always just assumed maybe she said something not so nice to Aya on the day of her disappearance. But the Tanabata wish theory makes more sense! Didn’t think of that.

For those who want to support the author and/or can read Japanese, you can purchase chapters on kindle via Amazon Japan. It’s not as up to date as Piccoman but it’s releasing new chapters at least monthly.

I like the idea of the Tanabata wish theory. Reading through this also made me think that other than “wishing” Aya away, perhaps Erika wished to “catch up” to Aya? Since Erika mentioned that she couldn’t have caught up to Aya back in middle school. So maybe she wished to “catch up” to Aya and in turn, that “held back” Aya whilst time moved forward for everyone else. And more specifically Erika to finally realize and get to a point where she sees Aya as just a 14 year old girl. (Though as for catching up with Aya in terms of catching Koto’s heart/affections, well. I suppose we’ll see lol).

joined May 29, 2022

I’ve always liked erika ~ been rooting for her from the start. Although I highly doubt she’ll end up with koto. I also did some searching on love triangle and apparently it doesn’t necessarily go in a triangle (aya liking erika). Why is it called a triangle then if it doesn’t go in a triangle…

last edited at Sep 9, 2023 11:16PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

Love triangles are so named because it’s the shape closest to a V lol. Although honestly, with the time gap, and the power dynamics being so different now, everyone’s feelings (maybe except for Erika lol) are so unclear that it can go in any direction. I’d say for right now Koto is the one I can’t wrap my head around the most.

Ouuu I like the concept of the “catch up” wish as well! That actually makes a lot of sense once you see how Erika’s life is like in the later chapters. But yeah, still don’t think Erika and Koto will happen (and if it does, it’d probably be a very slow burn), considering Koto has had so many years to develop feelings for Erika and doesn’t seem like she had. Although maybe Aya’s reappearance serves as a means for closure for her, so that she can finally focus on someone else (e.g. Erika). But we shall see!

last edited at Sep 12, 2023 1:29AM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I’ve always liked erika ~ been rooting for her from the start. Although I highly doubt she’ll end up with koto. I also did some searching on love triangle and apparently it doesn’t necessarily go in a triangle (aya liking erika). Why is it called a triangle then if it doesn’t go in a triangle…

I think it's a bit funny that people are always so hung up on the "triangle" part, as if it means there has to be romantic love directed form each person to another. It is a triangle because three people are involved. Even if it is one person torn between two, those two are also connected as love rivals, thus forming a triangle.

Edit: I realised my first sentence may have come across as a bit condescending. Sorry if it seemed that way, that wasn't my intention.

last edited at Sep 12, 2023 8:27AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

Even if it is one person torn between two, those two are also connected as love rivals, thus forming a triangle.

rivalry is the purest form of love after all

joined Sep 6, 2023

Love triangles are so named because it’s the shape closest to a V lol. Although honestly, with the time gap, and the power dynamics being so different now, everyone’s feelings (maybe except for Erika lol) are so unclear that it can go in any direction. I’d say for right now Koto is the one I can’t wrap my head around the most.

Ouuu I like the concept of the “catch up” wish as well! That actually makes a lot of sense once you see how Erika’s life is like in the later chapters. But yeah, still don’t think Erika and Koto will happen (and if it does, it’d probably be a very slow burn), considering Koto has had so many years to develop feelings for Erika and doesn’t seem like she had. Although maybe Aya’s reappearance serves as a means for closure for her, so that she can finally focus on someone else (e.g. Erika). But we shall see!

Oh? Now I’m even MORE excited to see the later chapters. I can’t speak Japanese or read it so I have no idea but I’m looking forward to seeing what Erika’s life is like as an adult. Whether she succeeded in “catching up” with Aya as a main lead in something or not will be interesting to see.

I can definitely imagine a potential drama point in future chapters where Aya, despite the age difference, might end up shining through with potential as a “main lead” in something that may have Erika feeling like she’s back in middle school all over again. Which would be fascinating to see how Erika deals with it this time around without a wish (assuming ofc this wish thing is true). Unless Erika decides to make another wish — which could also serve as a character growth opportunity for Erika if she decides to “beat” Aya fair and square without relying on anything supernatural. Going off of your last point, if Aya’s presence means closure, this sounds like this would be a great way to give Erika closure.

last edited at Sep 12, 2023 8:18PM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Well that answers some questions that we had. Police did get involved. Oh and I think we have a good idea why Aya wasn’t all that broken up that her grandfather had passed away.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

For a supernatural plot, it feels refreshing, usually the main characters would have kept her a secret the whole manga.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Definitely hooked now.

Looks like something was not good between Aya and her grandfather - I'm sure that will get explored later.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah I wonder if her living situation, or really her seemingly strained relationship with her grandfather was what caused the timetravel. I can see Aya having a desire to get away from it all and then whatever supernatural force at play answering that with "how about seven years?"

joined Apr 15, 2013

At least she isn't bothered by not having any more family. Sounds like Grandpa wasn't a good guy. This could get quite dark, couldn't it?

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I knew it. I previously posted that there were strong hints that Aya had some severe emotional issues. That she felt she didn't have a place to belong to and such. Now we finally know why. It looks like her grandfather wasn't a good person. Who knows what he did to her.

And as expected, Aya is not here just to give Koto or Erika closure. Aya has her own problems that the story is gonna explore. That's great. Hopefully Koto would stop running away and finally face her properly. Aya only ever dropped her guard around Koto in the past, so I get the feeling we will only learn more about her issues and whatever happened with her grandfather if Koto is involved. Aya won't reveal any of that to Erika.

last edited at Sep 30, 2023 2:00PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.