Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

The A in Ayaka stands for Alpha

75008_alt5
joined Feb 17, 2019

ok now this is epic

eggrollwithbeef
joined Jun 4, 2022

i know this isnt based in America but damn from what ive seen irl is that people really dont care about some someone elses life like this

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Okay, that was pretty good. Ayaka didn't just drop a bomb, she dropped a whole B-17's worth. And there are a bunch of good faces in this chapter.

joined Mar 4, 2017

I can find I can definitely get behind what Ayaka did now.

It's plane to see that Hiroko did not like being in the closet. She's terrified of being found out. Of her co-workers turning against her. Ayaka coming out like this gives Hiroko a chance to see how attitudes have changed and decide for herself if she feels comfortable coming out now or not.

Ayaka loves Hiroko so much that she took a major risk for her. Ayaka doesn't care about being in the closet. She's not bothered by it like Hiroko is. She's not stupid though. I'm sure she's aware of the risk here. She's putting herself out there and risking the backlash and possibly losing her job or destroying her career. She loves Hiroko that much.

joined Oct 1, 2022

That definitely can't be done where I work. Of 8 people in management 6 are homophobic.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

That definitely can't be done where I work. Of 8 people in management 6 are homophobic.

Yeah, we haven't seen how management will react. These were just coworkers and it just happened.

i know this isnt based in America but damn from what ive seen irl is that people really dont care about some someone elses life like this

Depends on where you're at. Plenty of places I've been, it would create issues. Besides most of the political mess happening in our country right now is a result of people caring about other people's lives that much.

last edited at Jul 2, 2023 8:04AM

joined Mar 4, 2017

Depends on where you're at. Plenty of places I've been, it would create issues. Besides most of the political mess happening in our country right now is a result of people caring about other people's lives that much.

Yeah, about 7 in 10 people in Japan believe homosexuality is and should be acceptable. Roughly the same as in the US.

Given how terrible labor rights are in Japan, I don't blame people fearing losing their job without recourse for being a minority. It seem pretty safe though in this situation. It's harder to hate them up up close.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And now that we've seen how supportive the office can actually be, unlike what Hiroko feared would happen, there's no need to hold back anymore. :D

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I restate my previous demand:

Can we give Ayaka some sort of "least useless lesbian" award?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, that's the thing. A lot of people in the US are really kind of oblivious to how bad things are other places, and even how bad they were here just a couple of decades ago.

Most people don't care, that's always been true. But the question is how much do the rest care, what are they willing to do, and how much will others turn a blind eye to?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Ayaka loves Hiroko so much that she took a major risk for her. Ayaka doesn't care about being in the closet. She's not bothered by it like Hiroko is. She's not stupid though. I'm sure she's aware of the risk here. She's putting herself out there and risking the backlash and possibly losing her job or destroying her career. She loves Hiroko that much.

It's also worth mentioning that Hiroko is literally, explicitly, the reason Ayaka is still working there.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I remember the first time I heard about this manga. It was in the comments thread for Black & White, after chapter 6 was released. (We didn't know it then, but it would be the last scanlated chapter: the project was dropped.) Serenata-chan wrote a long post telling us of her own experiences working in a company like the one in B&W and mentioned, near the end, that Sal Jiang had another nice manga with an office setting: Ayaka-chan wa Hiroko Senpai wo Otoshitai! That was about two and a half years ago, haha, who would have thought it would take so long for someone to pick it. But it was worth the wait! ❤ Now if only someone would start working again on Black & White... (I don't like the translation by Seven Seas.)

On another subject, I can't recall if this was discussed before: I was just today rereading some older works by Sal Jiang and I was surprised to find that this one is like a oneshot version of Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! Even the name of the main character is Ayaka, and she's an obvious prototype of the blonde we know and love. The senpai she likes is not really Hiroko, though. (She's much better.)

joined Sep 10, 2022

On another subject, I can't recall if this was discussed before: I was just today rereading some older works by Sal Jiang and I was surprised to find that this one is like a oneshot version of Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! Even the name of the main character is Ayaka, and she's an obvious prototype of the blonde we know and love. The senpai she likes is not really Hiroko, though. (She's much better.)

Oh right, had forgotten that one. Yeah that was a precursor one shot. I don't know if that was discussed in this thread though. I liked that one too, when I read it a while ago! It summarizes all the shenanigans that happens in this manga.

That version of Ayaka also talks about all her attempts to get her senpai to realize her flirting. The oneshot's events seem like her last straw (guess that version of Ayaka never busted down the office doors and declared her love). She even mentions the off the shoulder dress, which got mentioned in this recent newer chapter! Senpai still caring but not picking up on it. So, same two people but really cool to see Sal blow that up into a piece with more going on. You can see the intended natures of the characters there.

As for Black & White: fully agree! That series is also great and I too am miserable dealing with the current releases and schedule.

last edited at Jul 3, 2023 11:25AM

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

That was less a coming-out, and more a come-at-me-bro. Confident Ayaka has made sticking out this manga worth it.

And yes, Black & White was fucking awesome. Also one of the more realistic depictions of corporate intrigue (aside from the Love/Death levels of landscape-destroying hatefucks) since 29 to JK.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

Finally I can start liking this story again. I'm glad I waded through all the 'purposefully oblivious' bit there in the middle to pull through to see this great chapter. Can't wait for the antics that come from Ayaka being more forward and proud.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

This chapter was all kinds of painful. Boomers gotta boom I guess.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Might be my favorite chapter. Really love that it deals with the aftershocks of Ayaka's decision, but also deals with the fakeness of some of the coworkers. Risa especially has a good eye, but Ayaka also recognized how superficial and nonspecific they were all being. That office isn't as accepting as they would like to be seen as. And we get to Hiroko's fears. Those guys suck and are already starting to breathe down her neck a bit. Not so bad, yet, though. At the same time, Ayaka's outburst allowed Hiroko to recognize that she has more allies around her than she thought. So there's some give and take and maybe something for Hiroko to take away as a positive.

After that dinner meeting, I don't know if Hiroko's views on remaining in the closet at work will be ready to change just yet. The office likes the gossip (and to seem progressive) but I don't know how they would react if they actually saw a real couple, and I definitely don't expect a good response from management. She's in a precarious position as a team leader, but now knowing she has two more allies than before (+Risa and Ayaka), the needle might continue to move. It's of course unfortunate that her environment makes these decisions so potentially ruinous.

last edited at Jul 7, 2023 4:07PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This was honestly an excellent chapter in showing what's going on behind the facades. Where the support sometimes is less genuine, although at least at worst neutral behind the smiles. Where the older generation is still stuck in their ignorant worldview. And where the people you thought would be just as bad have always been playing along the same way you yourself have been stuck in your closet, and underneath it all resent the ignorance as much as you.

joined Jun 9, 2023

It's truly just internalized homophobia: the manga, and I get it, but man is it frustrating to read, this is not enjoyable idiot couple content.
This is just pain.

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I wanna see how this will end, hope it doesn't take too long!

Old_Man_Majes
Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

What a fantastic chapter. What I love about this manga is that it starts out as just silly, over the top yuri romcom shenanigans and somehow ends up here, and the transition feels natural.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

It's truly just internalized homophobia: the manga, and I get it, but man is it frustrating to read, this is not enjoyable idiot couple content.
This is just pain.

Idk the homophobia felt pretty externalized this time

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

That's the stuff right there!

Grab the world,seize the day,and let no one stop you!,but also,function like an adult by keeping the ol' boomers at bay with the typical talk.

Sure,a real path to happiness is have a family,but no one said how to have said family,so long as happiness is achieved.

So go out there and corner Hiroko,Ayaka,let there be no escape!

Also,I had no idea one could do this to the text box.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

That coworker Kumi is a real one. I love allies like her. I had no doubts about Yuuya either, he always seemed like a good egg, but I like Kumi's anger.

Also, the bisexual woman that approached Ayaka alone also didn't seem to have any bad intentions, at least from that short conversation, I'm not sure why that was treated the same as everything else.

To reply you must either login or sign up.