Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

@matsuri_wins

Thank you so much for your answer, pardon my laziness of not wanting to read it xDDDDDD

HMMMMM, that was one weird ass chapter based on what you just wrote, lolllll. So basically, SuminxSungji was replicating what has been done between SejuxSumin? Even from actions to words, lolllllll. There was Seju in that, too? Another big LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Seju is still there in their minds even though they're happily ever after? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
I started to seriously wonder what the heck the author was doing, lolllllll. Dragging Seju into every scene of SuminxSungji when they're supposed to be happily ever after already and Seju should exist no more in their life, lollll

Either the author loves Seju too much or there is definitely sth wrong to their logic about happy ever after, lolllllllll

Forget about that and....them, lolllll, at least I dont have to wait for their side story to be done so that I could read about Seju and Dowon, lollllllll

I'm not a fan of Seju loving someone else but I do get a little bit excited seeing Seju's life after Sumin-related roller coaster, lollllllll, especially after seeing her definitely leave behind their love but never regret loving Sumin. Lollll, I pretty like the scene when she left behind the note before taking off, lolllll. Leaving everything behind but no regrets loving someone, lolllll

last edited at Apr 16, 2019 9:51AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it seems my name is popping up alot these past few pages, I even missed the heated argument and sunbaenim's answer to me, LOLLLLLLL. I just came back to this page today to ask abt sth and suddenly realized I was pretty famous, LOL

I need to catch up, my name is popping up too much when I'm not even in the thread, LOLLLL

last edited at Apr 16, 2019 10:23AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

LOLLL, so I've read a few posts after my latest posts, sorry there are too many pages, I dont have time to read all of the posts. However, I want to make sth clear by saying in this in one seperated post

To whoever you need to read this post, and I'm pretty sure you still are:

I'm not matsuri_wins, dd, eee, ffff, nnn, mmmm, loll. I only used yoonie0104 as my acct here. I dont know where you got the "they have admitted to use several accts to post" but I definitely didnt say that. I only used yoonie0104 and its been more than a month since I was here. I'm genuinely surprised seeing so many accts being called as me. They're not me, whoever you called yoonie is not me except this acct

I'm also genuinely sorry for the trouble I cause for some of people here. if I knew this sooner, I'll clarify it way sooner than this, but seriously, I didnt check dynasty much now, and I only log in here when I'm free or needing to ask sth. So I didnt know the mess that I'm apparently the center. Wow, still in a surprise writing this post

Once again, I'm sorry and I really really only use this acct, and I will only argue with you guys with this acct. I'm famous, lol so I need to use my fame to argue with you guys, I wont pretend, lollll. I like Seju, I dont hide it and I dont intend to hide it, so please stop saying I'm someone else, I dont have that much free time to do sth like that

If I didnt answer you, that's not because I lost to you or pretending to be someone else to talk to you, I stopped talking to you because I didnt have time back then and honestly, you were being too aggressive, I didnt feel the point talking to you anymore when you kept accusing me of being a shipper even though I said otherwise. You cant argue with someone when they didnt even listen to you. That's all.

last edited at Apr 16, 2019 11:34AM

joined Apr 3, 2019

And can someone summarize that chapter for me? Cause I'm too lazy to read about suminxsungji, lolllll.

Thanks to Sungji's boring life, nothing happened in the chapter.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

matsuri_wins You're unlikely to be Yoonie as you seem to understand objectivity, where as they did not when i made a similar argument against them.

In saying that we could apply that very argument against your interpretation of the narrative structure and what you think is "genius" writing. It's still based of how you interpret the story structure, narrative and "mis-en-scene" and that comes from both your experiences in life and biases for and against

Sorry because I see my name in this.

First of all, everyone has their own ways of interpreting the story. Objectivity is not applied for this.
If you dont agree on people's opinions you argue back. This is how it works with arguments, if you agree with people's pov, there is no more arguments and your subjective opinions become the same with others and you find your peers. When someone interpreting things differently, she/he lacks of oblectivity? When she/he tried to prove her pov, he/she is not objective?

Understanding people's pov and keep protecting your pov are two different things. I understand and I disagree with opinions so I will argue.

Objectivity never can be applied for readers of stories.

No one is objective when being a reader of story, not me, not you, not anyone.

I will tell you my view and you tell yours and I will forever protect my view like you protect yours but that doesnt mean no one understand the others' views. That is argument.

You are not objective and I'm not either. When it comes to a story like this, it's simply not possible since a lot of things are shown but to give it a judgement of value, you are using your preferences and beliefs from your own personal life. As an example, one person is shown the post sex scene in chapter 108, and they will interpret "Sumin is slowly moving on in life". Another will interpret "Sumin doesn't truly love this girl". The reason is because the story is just showing you things and not being clear about how to understand them. And again this is just on purpose, it keeps people engaged in time-sucking discussions like this lol

I dont agree with you about chap 108 scene, I havent read that yet but based on what you said, I dont think its wise to use another Seju's flashback in a happy ever after side story no matter how you interpret the flashback. A normal, unbiased-for-Seju author will never use a flashback with the ex in a happy moment like that when everything is over. It should be about them only

There are many ways to have a happy chapter between Sumin and Sungji without Seju's flashbacks. I really dislike that scene where they put Seju in when its all over. Not because I interpret it as Sumin still loves Seju, I interpret it as the author still wants to prolong the love triangle with characters' minds even though its all over for everyone's sake. This was sth has make me dislike wdtfs when I read it till the near end. They juiced out the love triangle as much as they can for both teams pink and blonde. This is annoying when it's clear from the beginning which is the ending couple.

last edited at Apr 16, 2019 12:19PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

matsuri_wins You're unlikely to be Yoonie as you seem to understand objectivity, where as they did not when i made a similar argument against them.

In saying that we could apply that very argument against your interpretation of the narrative structure and what you think is "genius" writing. It's still based of how you interpret the story structure, narrative and "mis-en-scene" and that comes from both your experiences in life and biases for and against

Sorry because I see my name in this.

First of all, everyone has their own ways of interpreting the story. Objectivity is not applied for this.
If you dont agree on people's opinions you argue back. This is how it works with arguments, if you agree with people's pov, there is no more arguments and your subjective opinions become the same with others and you find your peers. When someone interpreting things differently, she/he lacks of oblectivity? When she/he tried to prove her pov, he/she is not objective?

Understanding people's pov and keep protecting your pov are two different things. I understand and I disagree with opinions so I will argue.

Objectivity never can be applied for readers of stories.

I will tell you my view and you tell yours and I will forever protect my view like you protect yours but that doesnt mean no one understand the others' views. That is argument.

I dont agree with you about chap 108 scene, I havent read that yet but based on what you said, I dont think its wise to use another Seju's flashback in a happy ever after side story no matter how you interpret the flashback. A normal, unbiased-for-Seju author will never use a flashback with the ex in a happy moment like that when everything is over. It should be about them only

So to be clear, there was no flashback per se, but almost every scene between Sungji and Sumin was a direct reference to a corresponding scene from Paradise where the same scene happened with only a few differences and with Sumin, of course, happier in those past scenes than in the present scene with Sungji. I suppose not every reader will notice but I and others did and were bothered by it.

In a way that was worse because it was kinda like “let’s sneak it in there”.

There are many ways to have a happy chapter between Sumin and Sungji without Seju's flashbacks. I really dislike that scene where they put Seju in when its all over. Not because I interpret it as Sumin still loves Seju, I interpret it as the author still wants to prolong the love triangle with characters' minds even though its all over for everyone's sake. This was sth has make me dislike wdtfs when I read it till the near end. They juiced out the love triangle as much as they can for both teams pink and blonde. This is annoying when it's clear from the beginning which is the ending couple.

They are either trying to juice the love triangle still just to keep readers interested , or they genuinely do have plans to have Seju and Sumin meet again. It depends on whether WDTFS as a story ended and now anything we get cannot change the initial ending, or the main story is being effectively continued.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Exactly.

joined Apr 3, 2019

It’s that plus Sumin’s whole ‘I’m afraid my past will hurt you.’ attitude, which demonstrates her healing isn’t finished in 108, that makes me think that even Sungjimin isn’t done either.

What does your "healing" mean? What's the wound?

joined Feb 18, 2018

It’s that plus Sumin’s whole ‘I’m afraid my past will hurt you.’ attitude, which demonstrates her healing isn’t finished in 108, that makes me think that even Sungjimin isn’t done either.

^ when the antagonist hijacks the story

joined Apr 3, 2019

^ when the antagonist hijacks the story

:D

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

So to be clear, there was no flashback per se, but almost every scene between Sungji and Sumin was a direct reference to a corresponding scene from Paradise where the same scene happened with only a few differences and with Sumin, of course, happier in those past scenes than in the present scene with Sungji. I suppose not every reader will notice but I and others did and were bothered by it.

In a way that was worse because it was kinda like “let’s sneak it in there”.

Oh, then I got the wrong idea from your post then, to me, at least that's better than Seju really appeared in that chap, cause that's really out of place for a epilogue between Sumin and Sungji.

Based on what you just said, I think SuminxSungji's supporters will find it as a proof that SungjixSumin will be better than SejuxSumin which I wont argue anymore, lol.

They are either trying to juice the love triangle still just to keep readers interested , or they genuinely do have plans to have Seju and Sumin meet again. It depends on whether WDTFS as a story ended and now anything we get cannot change the initial ending, or the main story is being effectively continued.

Nah, Seju will never meet Sumin again, even in the side stories, that I'm 100% sure, lollll.

They have been juice out the love triangle since the main story, at some point of the long run game, I had felt excited enough to play along but in the end, I felt so off that I wished they could just turn Seju into a complete evil to make me feel better about the ending. At least Seju deserved everything at the end of the story when they did that.

All three characters are disappointments in my own opinions looking back at the story after a few years.

-Seju would be the most halfass character in the universe, I would like to say even though I like her. Maybe at the beginning of the story, she was supposed to be the fully bad guy but when the story progressed, she got too much love from readers and I think her characteristic has changed the direction. She was on her way to be the villain in the story but somehow stopped being one and started to be built to be a lonely, bullied, low self - esteemed girl who acted like a full time puppy waiting for her boss(Sumin)

Too halfass, imo. She cant be called a villain, that title is too big for her to wear, she cant be a normal lonely girl for people to sympathize and support because of what she did. She was right in between, and with her own growing at the end of story in the final chapters, many would find a lonely ending doesnt deserve a already-too-lonely-to-death Seju. People want to see her heal instead of Sumin more than before.

-Sumin is the biggest failure. I guess we can agree that the introduction of the story gives us that she is actually the main girl of the story. I was actually pretty drawn by her at the beginning of story. The big tattoo, smoking, apathetic face with apparently dark past. Interesting. However, when the story went on, her character went completely off. She should be blamed in a lot of situations where honestly, she got over them quite nicely and perfectly just because the healing is focused on her.

The biggest failure of the story would be Sumin has failed to at least saying sth back to Seju or giving some words to Seju before Seju left. I'm waiting for a honest conversation between SejuxSumin for an ultimate seperation between them after 17 years of agony. All I can see is Sumin cruelly got rid of Seju in the most cruel way and cruel words (stop waiting for me under the snow.....). IMO, Sumin own Seju an apology for stringing Seju along all the years knowing fully Seju would endure it for the blame of the death of Sumin's parents and the scars left on her body which Sumin has fully blamed on Seju and taken them out on Seju.

-Sungji - the perfect girl. Two dark girls, one innocent to death girl. I've been waiting for Sungji to stop being the angelic girl which I failed miserably, lollll. Even in the end, she is still the angelic girl who gives up her love for Sumin's happiness without even asking Sumin if that's really her happiness, LOLLLLL. And just like Sumin, the other protagonist, her mistakes of abandoning Sumin right in the middle of the street was being forgiven quite quickly and nicely. I honestly cant believe that was the author's choice of giving the way of ending the story: for Sumin to realize who she loves, for Seju to realize she has lost, for Sungji to realize Sumin loves her.
Many Sungji fans think Sungji is more special than other protagonists which I strongly disagree. I have read alot of characters like Sungji, angelic, down to earth, all around good girl. Many said she is strong and righteous with the way she talked back to Seju, personally, to me, it proves me more about her being a complete angel and naive than being strong and independent. But of course, she is better, more angelic than Seju, that's for sure, lol.

All in all, I realized that Sumin's mistakes and Sungji's mistakes is being overlooked a lot because they're the main protagonists and the story's logistic flow for them to be the ending couple while Seju's mistakes will forever be in Sumin's mind, in readers' mind and the explanation for her own lonely ending according to a lot of readers. In short, Seju's mistakes will forever be there so that the author could lead to an ultimate ending for SuminxSungji. I find that super half ass.

last edited at Apr 16, 2019 10:19PM

joined Apr 3, 2019

The biggest failure of the story would be Sumin has failed to at least saying sth back to Seju or giving some words to Seju before Seju left. I'm waiting for a honest conversation between SejuxSumin for an ultimate seperation between them after 17 years of agony. All I can see is Sumin cruelly got rid of Seju in the most cruel way and cruel words (stop waiting for me under the snow.....). IMO, Sumin own Seju an apology for stringing Seju along all the years knowing fully Seju would endure it for the blame of the death of Sumin's parents and the scars left on her body which Sumin has fully blamed on Seju and taken them out on Seju.

Is it really hard to think of many other ways and words much more cruel than what Sumin stated above to get rid of Seju? Imo, when you are moving on with someone else, your every word to your ex who is still in love with you will be all needless. Your apology / explaining yourself won't help. You can't avoid hurting your ex anyway. Sumin never appeared to be good with words, so I wouldn't expect her to be able to come up with any wisdomic breakup line. iirc, Sumin did apologize, give reasons and communicate with Seju when asking to cut tie with her in arc 2. And we could clearly see nothing good coming from that. There really no need to repeat the history.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Is it really hard to think of many other ways and words much more cruel than what Sumin stated above to get rid of Seju? Imo, when you are moving on with someone else, your every word to your ex who is still in love with you will be all needless. Your apology / explaining yourself won't help. You can't avoid hurting your ex anyway. Sumin never appeared to be good with words, so I wouldn't expect her to be able to come up with any wisdomic breakup line. iirc, Sumin did apologize, give reasons and communicate with Seju when asking to cut tie with her in arc 2. And we could clearly see nothing good coming from that. There really no need to repeat the history.

I completely disagree. I have several exes, with pretty dramatic ends in some cases, and we are on good terms. We are on good terms because although some of them loved me when we parted, or vice versa, we actually treated each other like human beings, we apologized, and had adult conversations about it eventually. I made sure they knew I really cared about them, and because of that, even when I left the city I used to live in, the ones that were still living there made a point to meet me and say goodbye in person. If you truly loved someone, just because you are not in a relationship anymore, just because things didn't work out, it doesn't mean it's OK to treat them like garbage. It doesn't make sense to treat them worse than you would treat a friend, if they have been more to you than a friend. This kind of mentality a lot of people have and seemingly you too, and shown in this story, is one of the reasons relationships become so complicated and there are so many people traumatized by them. Then they go out and treat others like garbage (as a revenge, like Sumin), repeating the cycle.

In the end, Sumin was cruel to Seju throughout the series and so I totally agree with yoonie. Even when she told Seju that they needed to stop being friends with benefits, she didn't say it in a kind way that was respectful to Seju and worthy of being said to someone who supported her in all ways she could for 10 years, and before the crisis was a super dedicated girlfriend for 7 years. Does history not count? So if I am kind to you for 2 decades but mess up once, does that erase everything I ever did before and after? Seju's line in that scene said everything "Am I really nothing?". Because that's what Sumin's way of outright discarding her, would make anyone feel. So if you can't think of many other better ways of treating someone who you no longer want to have a romantic/sexual relationship with, that's a failure of your imagination.

Besides, it's clear to me the author's intention was to exactly show that Sumin was cruel at that moment. They were never going for "Sumin is the main character, so she must be likable".

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 7:21AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

All three characters are disappointments in my own opinions looking back at the story after a few years.

-Seju would be the most halfass character in the universe, I would like to say even though I like her. Maybe at the beginning of the story, she was supposed to be the fully bad guy but when the story progressed, she got too much love from readers and I think her characteristic has changed the direction. She was on her way to be the villain in the story but somehow stopped being one and started to be built to be a lonely, bullied, low self - esteemed girl who acted like a full time puppy waiting for her boss(Sumin)

Too halfass, imo. She cant be called a villain, that title is too big for her to wear, she cant be a normal lonely girl for people to sympathize and support because of what she did. She was right in between, and with her own growing at the end of story in the final chapters, many would find a lonely ending doesnt deserve a already-too-lonely-to-death Seju. People want to see her heal instead of Sumin more than before.

-Sumin is the biggest failure. I guess we can agree that the introduction of the story gives us that she is actually the main girl of the story. I was actually pretty drawn by her at the beginning of story. The big tattoo, smoking, apathetic face with apparently dark past. Interesting. However, when the story went on, her character went completely off. She should be blamed in a lot of situations where honestly, she got over them quite nicely and perfectly just because the healing is focused on her.

-Sungji - the perfect girl. Two dark girls, one innocent to death girl. I've been waiting for Sungji to stop being the angelic girl which I failed miserably, lollll. Even in the end, she is still the angelic girl who gives up her love for Sumin's happiness without even asking Sumin if that's really her happiness, LOLLLLL. And just like Sumin, the other protagonist, her mistakes of abandoning Sumin right in the middle of the street was being forgiven quite quickly and nicely. I honestly cant believe that was the author's choice of giving the way of ending the story: for Sumin to realize who she loves, for Seju to realize she has lost, for Sungji to realize Sumin loves her.
Many Sungji fans think Sungji is more special than other protagonists which I strongly disagree. I have read alot of characters like Sungji, angelic, down to earth, all around good girl. Many said she is strong and righteous with the way she talked back to Seju, personally, to me, it proves me more about her being a complete angel and naive than being strong and independent. But of course, she is better, more angelic than Seju, that's for sure, lol.

All in all, I realized that Sumin's mistakes and Sungji's mistakes is being overlooked a lot because they're the main protagonists and the story's logistic flow for them to be the ending couple while Seju's mistakes will forever be in Sumin's mind, in readers' mind and the explanation for her own lonely ending according to a lot of readers. In short, Seju's mistakes will forever be there so that the author could lead to an ultimate ending for SuminxSungji. I find that super half ass.

I think the story is much better than you think. You are not giving the authors enough credit and think their decisions were just coincidental or a result of "writing accidents". I don't believe in that for a second. The story is actually very consistent, if you look at it from a different perspective.

Like the comparison I made before, if you pick shows like Madoka Magika or Utena and go in interpreting them as magical girl stories, which is what they advertised themselves as initially, they are pretty bad. But if you interpret them as what they actually are, they are genius.

So if you read WDTFS trying to fit it into a template of "normal romance story", yes all the glaring points you mentioned are true.

But in my opinion, the story being told is another one. It's the fox story applied to a love triangle, thus the title. In the traditional fox tales all over the world, the fox is the character with deceiving traits by nature. Note they are not "pretending" to be a fox, they ARE the fox so they are not aware of their own deceiving nature, it just is. The fox acts in the exact manner necessary to get what she wants, rather than being "loud" (saying whatever they think), too direct and faithful, like the other animal they are competing against in the story, usually a dog.

Seju is the dog, while Sungji is the fox. The fox in this story is so good that, as in a good fox story, she deceives the village folks into thinking she is the one deserving of getting the reward (Sumin), by acting the right way, every single time. Village folks are the readers lol Seju is the dog, because even when she tries to "counterattack", it's in such a direct manner that it's kind of embarrassing. She states her feelings very directly over and over, acts super clingy, is faithful to an extreme etc.

But already knowing a lot of readers would not "get it", the author in the end outright explains Sungji is the fox. So yeah. Not your typical love story. But it's so good I think they shouldn't have side stories beyond Paradise, they should just stop here and let it be memorable.

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 7:38AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The ability of Dynasty posters to write better stories than ones on the page is truly impressive.

So it turns out traditional folk tales are way better with lots of explicit sex.

As might have been predicted . . .

joined Feb 18, 2018

Folk tales were originally full of sex and death :P

But yeah I stand by my POV. If you look back it explains the title, the way the characters were handled and also, most importantly, the final scenes of the main story. It is basically a frame around the love triangle. It’s smart but not out of this world either.

EDIT for Es0teric: Interesting to read for more context. The fox is smart, mischievous and deceptive, but not evil.

“In Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folklores, foxes (huli jing in China, kitsune in Japan, and kumiho in Korea) are powerful spirits that are known for their highly mischievous and cunning nature, and they often take on the form of female humans to seduce men. In contemporary Chinese, the word huli jing is often used to describe a mistress negatively in an extramarital affair.”

So to be clear, words like “fox” and “foxy” are not often used, at least in English, to describe a purely beautiful girl: there must be a cunning and seductive aspect to her. Unless you are not using the word correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxes_in_popular_culture

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 10:25AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Holy crap, NO FLASHBACKS. Bye a-hole Sumin, see you never!

No flashbacks yet. But Seju did made a joke regarding Do-Won, saying she looks like the result of a threesome between Sumin, Sungji and Nami lol.

Haven't seen the full chapter yet, only a glimpse of some pages posted on Twitter. Do-Won certaintly has an exotic look about her, brown hair, tanned skin and is taller than Seju. I wonder which Kpop star she's inspired from?

joined Mar 21, 2017

A fox can also mean a beautiful and attractive woman, which is pretty much how Sungji is portrayed ;)

I like your interpretation though, even if i doesn't fit into how i had read into the narrative etc
Any good folk tails involving foxes in that capacity that you'd recommend? Going to sleep now but will see any replies in the morning.

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 9:25AM

joined Mar 12, 2019

Trolololol it’s hilarious to watch people here get offended. This is my official favorite forum thread.

It’s surprising that people actually think this deeply about these soulless characters.

I guess I can’t say much since trash like this and Citrus seem to be popular.

Also, shittiest title for a series ever. It’s like TG just remembered that stupid fox song and copy and pasted the title. Sungji ain’t even sly as a fox. They were literally just like, “hey let’s give her gold foxy eyes and we’ll call her a fox lololol.”

This is what you wanted to hear, right? Oh, bring on the belated offense!

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 9:44AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Are you offended or hurt by the possibility that authors actually put effort into their work and are capable of creating great stories?

Maybe take off the cynical glasses a bit and consider that it’s you who didn’t get the story right.

Comparing Citrus and this makes no sense.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Alright, I've seen the first chapter of One.

My first impression of Do-Won. She already feels like just another Sungjil in terms of personality: the clumsy young rookie who has a habit of saying thoughtless words and acts kind, accommodating towards her boss. Wasnt quite what I expected. I thought she'll be more the stoic no-nonsense but occasionally caring type. Guess the author didn't want her to be similar to Sumin. At any rate, it's still early days so she may not be a carbon copy of Sungjil just yet.

As it turns, the villa Seju's mother stayed at isn't really much of a villa but more of a hotel that was used for business in the past. It looks pretty deserted, perhaps Seju would be motivated to help turn its fortune around since she doesn't seem to have any other places to go to.

last edited at Apr 17, 2019 6:31PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I think it’s hard to know if Do Won is cold or not. But one thing is for sure, there must be a reason such a young person is stuck doing cleaning work in a deserted hotel.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

I think it’s hard to know if Do Won is cold or not. But one thing is for sure, there must be a reason such a young person is stuck doing cleaning work in a deserted hotel.

Yup, regarding Dowon.

It probably has nothing at all to do with a dark past that leads her to become a caretaker for a deserted villa. She used to be a swimmer, so she could have retired from the sport when she reached her peak at 23 or 24. Competitive swimming, after all, is very physically and mentally demanding. It becomes increasingly difficult to perform consistently at the highest level the older you get. Just like any other athletes who left the sport, she has to either find work or study, make a living for herself. Maybe this caretaker job was the only thing on offer for her, after struggling for years to find other jobs that suited her, and you know how that saying goes, "Beggars can't be choosers."

Of course, that sounds like a boring reason, right? If you really want to go for the K drama cliche, then she might have suffered an injury in the past that stops her from swimming competitively. Or she could have been shunned from her whole family and her coach the moment she was caught being a lesbian and was forced to isolate herself after the humiliation. Korea isn't exactly LGBT friendly compared to the US for instance. It's all speculation at this point.

Anyways, I'm actually liking Dowon so far even though it's only the first chapter. She seems so casually friendly with Seju, showing no hesitation whatsoever to tell her boss to call her by her name and persisted with the food offering despite being rejected a few times. Most folks in her shoes would have been quite anxious to act this chummy with an employer on first meeting. For Seju, who's pretty used to superficial acting all her life, this new girl would be a breath of fresh air - someone who can be genuinely kind towards her without any ulterior motives involved.

last edited at Apr 20, 2019 7:06PM

joined Apr 21, 2019

Is there What Does The Fox Say? Chinese Version? If guys know link please tell me, thanks.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Yup, regarding Dowon.

It probably has nothing at all to do with a dark past that leads her to become a caretaker for a deserted villa. She used to be a swimmer, so she could have retired from the sport when she reached her peak at 23 or 24. Competitive swimming, after all, is very physically and mentally demanding. It becomes increasingly difficult to perform consistently at the highest level the older you get. Just like any other athletes who left the sport, she has to either find work or study, make a living for herself. Maybe this caretaker job was the only thing on offer for her, after struggling for years to find other jobs that suited her, and you know how that saying goes, "Beggars can't be choosers."

Of course, that sounds like a boring reason, right? If you really want to go for the K drama cliche, then she might have suffered an injury in the past that stops her from swimming competitively. Or she could have been shunned from her whole family and her coach the moment she was caught being a lesbian and was forced to isolate herself after the humiliation. Korea isn't exactly LGBT friendly compared to the US for instance. It's all speculation at this point.

Anyways, I'm actually liking Dowon so far even though it's only the first chapter. She seems so casually friendly with Seju, showing no hesitation whatsoever to tell her boss to call her by her name and persisted with the food offering despite being rejected a few times. Most folks in her shoes would have been quite anxious to act this chummy with an employer on first meeting. For Seju, who's pretty used to superficial acting all her life, this new girl would be a breath of fresh air - someone who can be genuinely kind towards her without any ulterior motives involved.

I agree that Dowon seems to have a great personality. At the very least she is persistent and clearly not intimidated by Seju despite Seju being her boss and acting cold and dismissive towards her off the bat. I find interesting how she in a single chapter already shows signs of being the opposite of Sumin in every respect: she is not intimidated by Seju which means “inferiority complex” is not her thing, she is super tall and gives off protective vibes while Sumin is super short and the type to be protected (it kinda shows even with Sungji, who despite being more “feminine” is constantly holding Sumin in her arms just like Seju used to), and she has a very exotic face while Sumin has “common face” as mentioned by Sungji herself.

To reply you must either login or sign up.