Forum › WDTFS fans - off topic

joined Mar 21, 2017

Me too. +1 here. I blame the zodiac for not getting a long or having problems with someone.

I used to believe in it but that was over 15 years ago.

What happened to that belief lol?

I became sceptical and cynical ; )

Time to believe that stuff again. :)
Then what about other stuff such as palm readings, numerology, etc?

I don't see a need too lol

Don't believe in any of that either.

Photopictureresizer_160424_131930125-640x360
joined Jan 13, 2016

Me too. +1 here. I blame the zodiac for not getting a long or having problems with someone.

I used to believe in it but that was over 15 years ago.

What happened to that belief lol?

I became sceptical and cynical ; )

Time to believe that stuff again. :)

I don't see a need too lol

Don't believe in any of that either.

Hahaha...cool.

joined Jan 13, 2016

no matter what I do, I can't get along with Leos.. and if I can't get along with someone, probably they are a leo.. so I really can't tell if Astrology is completely wrong

I have proven my zodiac astrology correct. I got a long well with people born in the years of pig and totally a disaster with those that i shouldn't associate with based on my zodiac sign.

Rsz_ac
joined Jun 1, 2017

True Evil

Ok. I am out of here

The fun is already over =_= That was fast

You should chabge ur nickname to No True Evil darling

Nora89

no matter what I do, I can't get along with Leos.. and if I can't get along with someone, probably they are a leo.. so I really can't tell if Astrology is completely wrong

People born in the same period of time do share common traits, it does not apply on all, but many.
There will be always certain Behavioral "traits" that we personally cant tolerate, regardless if we blame on astrology or not, once we see them, we run the opposite direction @_@ & you know baby whp make me run like hell ! Moody unstable people who dont know what they feel & why? & attention whores, everybody knows what the horoscopes that share these 2 traits. <_<

last edited at Jun 17, 2017 10:33PM

Rsz_ac
joined Jun 1, 2017

mvl89

Palm reading is too much, come on <_< But Astrology & numerology is different, theres science behind it at least.

What's your horoscope? Im curious..

Es0teric

As for Astrology & Numerology, theres is science in that. Studies have proven that time & space does effect the human psychology & behavior. People do tend to take Astrology & Numerology to an extrem non-scientific way. But the facts that are based on numbers and time, or the affect of the moon & the sun movement on us, is real. Its up to you to you consider or not. As a scientist, i do belive in it to a certain extent, but not blindly.

Being skeptical & doubtful can actually be a beneficial trait, if we dont do that, we would be still living in the dark ages. So, continue doubting & looking for answers. But always keep an open mind to everything, never deny anything 100% or indly belivig in something 100%, thats arrogance.

last edited at Jun 17, 2017 10:36PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

mvl89

Palm reading is too much, come on <_<

Es0teric

As for Astrology & Numerology, theres is science in that. Studies have proven that time & space does effect the human psychology & behavior. People do tend to take Astrology & Numerology to an extrem non-scientific way. But the facts that are based on numbers and time, or the affect of the moon & the sun movement on us, is real. Its up to you to you consider or not. As a scientist, i do belive in it to a certain extent, but not blindly.

This sounds like a dangerous argument since you have said that you are a scientist (I was going to say claimed but i'm unsure if that would sound insulting). Some believe there is a scientific basis, some say there isn't. I'm more of the latter. We could probably both provide evidence to support our claims but it's safer to agree to disagree.

Being skeptical & doubtful can actually be a beneficial trait, if we dont do that, we would be still living in the dark ages. So, continue doubting & looking for answers. But always keep an open mind to everything, never deny anything 100% or indly belivig in something 100%, thats arrogance.

Yeah it's good to have an open mind. Life is complex and we can never truly know everything but it's also wise to not just accept everything either.

last edited at Jun 17, 2017 10:47PM

joined Jan 13, 2016

mvl89

Palm reading is too much, come on <_< But Astrology & numerology is different, theres science behind it at least.

I believe palm lines...well, not all, and certainy not from just anyone. I'm into palm lines reading from monks; definitely not believing from the West palm readings. And definitely not believing from those asking for money to read palms.

What's your horoscope? Im curious..

I'm an Aries.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Note: There is literally no actual science behind astrology and numerology, but they have lots of science-y sounding jargon. There's more scientific basis behind reading goat entrails.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Note: There is literally no actual science behind astrology and numerology, but they have lots of science-y sounding jargon. There's more scientific basis behind reading goat entrails.

I tend to agree with this. But being a skeptic means i have to be skeptical of everything ; )

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I tend to agree with this. But being a skeptic means i have to be skeptical of everything ; )

Lack of a credible mechanism or reproducible results is hard to be skeptical of. There's little in astrology that cannot be attributed to simple cold reading.

"Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -- Walter Kotschnig

joined Mar 21, 2017

Lack of a credible mechanism or reproducible results is hard to be skeptical of. There's little in astrology that cannot be attributed to simple cold reading.

"Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -- Walter Kotschnig

I was making a joke.

That is my favourite quote.

Also: "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded"

last edited at Jun 17, 2017 11:06PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Who was that, now?

joined Mar 21, 2017

From a 40K game but am unsure who actually came up with the quote.

joined Mar 21, 2017

NASA use Astronomy not Astrology.

joined Mar 21, 2017

NASA use Astronomy not Astrology.

ah, Linguistic differences.. in our original language.. it has the same name.. compared to the English one, but the same concept, space science, whether it was in Ancient Greece, Egypt or the current one. I hope the idea reached you. And that's what's important.

Yeah they are completely different things in western society and are not interchangeable. Astronomy is a science, where as Astrology is a pseudoscience rejected by the scientific community.

last edited at Jun 18, 2017 7:41AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Bottom Line:

what happens beyond our planet, affects us one way or another.

I'd agree to a certain point. The great thing about science is that it's continuously searching for these answers.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Yeah they are completely different things in western society and are not interchangeable. Astronomy is s science, where as Astrology is a pseudoscience rejected by the scientific community.

not really, depends what you mean by Astrology and what's rejected of it. Again, it's a terminology difference, Amy and I we don't have a specific linguistic name for each of them..

What we call Astrology is rejected and is not considered a science.

I do get what you are trying to say though but any discussions are just going to get confusing if we are using different terminology. Especially since we are writing in English.

last edited at Jun 18, 2017 8:35AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Astrology refers to divination of the future or determining someone's personality based on when they were born and the movement of stars and planets. The closest it gets to science is it grew out of the same observations that determined things like planting and harvesting.

Astronomy refers to the scientific study of extraterrestrial bodies, including stars, planets, nebulae, black holes, remnants of the Big Bang, etc. and is heavily based on physics.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Astronomy is also the oldest science, at least when we are speaking about natural sciences. People in the field today often use the term astrophysics, since so much of it revolves around physics, but there is also a lot of chemistry in it.

joined Sep 6, 2015

Also, apologies for sliding myself into this, but purely out of curiosity, Nora89, what is the terminology in your language? I am asking because, for example, in my language (Croatian), it is astronomija (astronomy), and astrologija (astrology), and almost every other language in the region, and wider, uses similar terms. Namely, their own coinages of the Greek words 'astronomia', and 'astrologia'. I have not heard any non-Greek originating terms for those fields.

joined Mar 21, 2017

A bit of western society history on Astronomy and Astrology for those interested.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_astronomy

When i originally mentioned Astrology i was using the definitions posted by Nezchan above.

last edited at Jun 18, 2017 6:26PM

joined Sep 6, 2015

Nora89
Yes. that answers it. Strange country, though.

Rsz_ac
joined Jun 1, 2017

Nezchan

I recomend reading into Chines numorolgy & the application of that on Acupuncture or other Chinees medicine.

As for Astrology/ Astronomy ,( regardless of how english speakers interpreted the 2 words, as they ment the same in the west until the 17 century), we are very limited ( mentally & physically) & far behind ,as humans, when it comes to exploring anything beyond our planet. As we dont have the appropriate resources to do that. Its a field that requires a "very open" mind. Not far ago, Everybody thought that astronots are crazy to try to go to the moon, & actually the sun orbits the eath not the other way around. Maybe one day we will have the suitable equipment to explore further & to have physical prove of the affect of the universe (Sun, moon, Stars, etc. ) on the life of the creatures on this planet, or maybe we will never do. The same way we never know whats beyond the visible spectrum, or the nature of the human soul.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Are you sure you're a scientist? Acupuncture has been shown to be ineffective in clinical trials, giving no more than a placebo effect. Controlled clinical trials have shown the same results whether the needles are placed in the "right" locations or just randomly placed, and neither show more results than sugar pills. Almost all the "evidence" for acupuncture is anecdotal.

There are traditional medicines that are effective. There are far more that are simply superstitious rubbish.

As to terms being treated as the same until the 17th century (not entirely true since stellar observation as a mater of study or for practical purposes such as navigation and early calendars is not the same thing as divination or determining someone's personality), I would like to think that we've made some advances in science in the past four hundred years! It should be noted though that the geocentric model was questioned as early as the 3rd century, and continued to be questioned to some degree ever since. although geocentrism had the power of local religions and superstition behind it so it took a while to be overturned.

I can't even imagine why you'd bring astronauts going to the moon into this. The only "crazy" aspect to that, given humans had been going into orbit for years by then, was due to the danger and technical difficulty given the technology at the time. It had nothing to do with geocentrism or numerology or feng shui or whatever superstitious rubbish you want to name.

This is all very deep into "brains falling out" territory, and makes me question your understanding of science in the first place.

popointhemoomoo_12
joined Jun 3, 2017

What if.. all of them didnt end up with each other and ends up going with their seperate ways.. Hahaha. Now that's an ending and a fucking joke. Hahaha. Just fuck the drama and get over it. Its kinda annoying. Hahahah

To reply you must either login or sign up.