Forum › Posts by Hokuto

Hokuto
Citrus discussion 15 Jul 15:51
joined Aug 22, 2016

Harumin proves time and time again to be uber best girl.

joined Aug 22, 2016

I love it so far. it's kinda like that one about the girl who slept with the dj from the club and ends up following her around. I forgot the name. That one's better/more complex, but I can see this one going places.

After Hours, I believe it was called, though I don't think it gets uploaded here anymore for some reason.

That's correct. It got licensed, and I think I remember seeing that Dynasty got a cease and desist on it. Maybe not an actual C&D, but the effect is the same. I plan on buying the first volume when I get the money.

Yup, just about any site that was posting the chapters for After Hours got a cease and desist order from the lawyers for either the writer or publishing company.

last edited at Jul 12, 2017 11:10PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

That last line is a bit ominous, "she successfully pulled a strange trigger inside the child that I was". I wouldn't quite call this predatory yet, sort of borderline, but the story very well could go in that direction. I hope that doesn't happen. That or the father and Touko-san develop or have some sort of relationship. That was a very awkward request for just an employee.

last edited at Jul 12, 2017 4:44AM

Hokuto
Image Comments 10 Jul 02:18
joined Aug 22, 2016
61487277_p0

@Vankomycin - That would be Umi's katana. Pretty sure of it, but... kind of in a dangerous position.
Honoka - Boss, Kotori - Underboss, Umi - Protector, Maki - Enforcer, Eli - Surveillance/Intel, Nozomi - Interrogator, Rin - Assassin, Hanayo - Eats Rice, Nico - Traitor/Informant

last edited at Jul 10, 2017 2:32AM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Cannibal posted:

This is like your usual yaoi story.

What does this even mean?

Well yaoi is romance between two girls, right?

That's how I've always understood it.

Well, the user did say it was yaoi-like, not that it was yaoi.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 6:16PM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

So relentless up there. Why perpetuate it?

the story was all over the place there were no focus on anything at all so i can not relate to any of the characters or her problems so much stuff happen in a few pages the writting was so poor in general there was no character development at all like the author previous work now loading where the story build up to nothing so when the end arrives you feel like the author leave the stoy incomplete feels like so much stuff is happening yet the relationship is going nowhere like if you were wasting your time it s like if golden time end at the fifth episode just getting the couple together without developing their relationship

I felt the story thus far has decent direction. Fast for sure, but the situation was clear and I kind of like imagining how the characters got to the start of the story. I like to think that Minami has been in love with Iori for some time, but has never said anything, because of Iori's dating habits. But by being tightly embraced, Minami no longer could hold back. As for the incomplete feeling to the story, this is only chapter one, so it is a bit difficult to determine how everything will come together.

Personally, I like how the art has developed a bit. And as for relating to characters, I agree there could be more information, but again it is the first chapter and sometimes there simply are characters that one can not relate to.

This is like your usual yaoi story.

What does this even mean?

I'm curious too. Though I have never read yaoi.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 3:08PM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Minami kind of reminds me of a turtle when she wears the bandanna. Especially in the middle panel on page two.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 1:04AM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Using "they" as singular is grammatically wrong,

This is absolutely false.

Singular "they", as a generic term for unknown people whose gender is not known, has been in common use in English since at least the 14th century and is absolutely an accepted part of standard English grammar.

Further, singular "they" where referring to known individuals, such as those who are nonbinary and so forth, is accepted by the AP Style Guide, the Washington Post Style Guide, the Oxford English Dictionary, Mirriam-Webster English Dictionary, and pretty much all other major references on English grammar.

Nez is right about that, it reminds me of when I helped create a project marking scheme in college. We weren't allowed to use "he" or "she" to refer to a single person.

Historically, you are correct. Using "they" as singular has been done for a very long time, but "they" singular has been considered grammatically incorrect for at least as long. Those references on English grammar have only adopted "they" singular relatively recently to match the social development of using gender neutral terms. Therefore, in the last 5 years or so this use of they has become accepted as grammatically acceptable.

I am also correct in modern times. As I mentioned before, you'd be very hard-pressed to find a modern reference that doesn't use third-person singular "they" in cases where the gender is unknown. Which is absolutely the case here.

It doesn't matter if they adopted "they" relatively recently because we live in the current time, not the 19th century when there was a movement to use the generic "he" instead. It is totally acceptable in 2017 to use a singular, third-person "they". Which was, you will note, the issue in the first place.

Plus, when it comes to dialogue in fiction being understandable to an English-speaking audience is what matters and as mentioned before, people know what it means, therefore it's acceptable to use.

The only reason I brought it up was because there seemed to be some confusion as to what was meant as you have noted without noting that I made note of that in my first noting of notes. I said in my first reply "so Minami saying "parent" and then "they" would traditionally not make sense. However, I think here she is referring to a single parent and using "they" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun." I already noted it.

I never said it was unacceptable where in fact I said it was acceptable and I wasn't the first to bring up historical use of language. My only error where I was most certainly wrong was saying that they singular is grammatically wrong as an end all statement of which I corrected in the post before this one.

Time and change overlap, there are transitioning periods. Time and history do not stop and suddenly start again at a matter of social change. Current, now, it is all relative to what came before. As I said, "It is just a matter of getting accustomed to changing times and language." I'm not looking to further this discussion and I do no think there is anything to continue. Both of us have been partially wrong and partially right. And I learned something new which works for me, so...

While using "they" as a plural can be grammatically wrong depending on use, I think here in the story the author is using they as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. I assume this is done as not draw attention to the parent as the focus is that Minami has been abused.

last edited at Jul 9, 2017 12:15AM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Using "they" as singular is grammatically wrong,

This is absolutely false.

Singular "they", as a generic term for unknown people whose gender is not known, has been in common use in English since at least the 14th century and is absolutely an accepted part of standard English grammar.

Further, singular "they" where referring to known individuals, such as those who are nonbinary and so forth, is accepted by the AP Style Guide, the Washington Post Style Guide, the Oxford English Dictionary, Mirriam-Webster English Dictionary, and pretty much all other major references on English grammar.

Nez is right about that, it reminds me of when I helped create a project marking scheme in college. We weren't allowed to use "he" or "she" to refer to a single person.

Historically, you are correct. Using "they" as singular has been done for a very long time, but "they" singular has been considered grammatically incorrect for at least as long. Those references on English grammar have only adopted "they" singular relatively recently to match the social development of using gender neutral terms. Therefore, in the last 5 years or so this use of they has become accepted as grammatically acceptable.

However, a lot of educational institutions taught "they" as only plural before this. And those references did not include "they" singular at that time. So, no. What I said was not "absolutely" wrong. It is just a matter of getting accustomed to changing times and language. "You" used to be exclusively plural, but that is not the case today.

last edited at Jul 8, 2017 8:44PM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Isn't this a bit too much for Tomboy kinda thing? She really looks like a boy, I couldn't even think her as a girl.

But... she is a girl. I don't like the term 'tomboy' as it implies the same thought in your post. That is "a girl can't be a girl unless she fits the stereotypes and expectations". But not to make that an issue of discussion at the moment specifically, here 'tomboy' fits her fine and to me she's very much a girl. She is shown to be female so there's no good reason to say she isn't.

last edited at Jul 7, 2017 9:59PM

Hokuto
Image Comments 07 Jul 03:29
joined Aug 22, 2016
Tumblr_noez81d1al1uq1ik1o1_1280

@Fireproofemu - It'll happen if Rin keeps looking.

last edited at Jul 7, 2017 3:29AM

joined Aug 22, 2016

Wait... did the artist actually manage to make that stupid playboy-bunny outfit attractive?

I don't see the manager as butch or plain. Plain is probably just being used in comparison, not necessarily describing the manager herself. Or that she simply isn't as extravagant as the model.

last edited at Jul 5, 2017 1:39PM

Hokuto
Image Comments 03 Jul 00:00
joined Aug 22, 2016
Leave

How Mako found out.

Hokuto
Image Comments 02 Jul 02:06
joined Aug 22, 2016
C5q3frevmamqdx-

I'm not exactly sure why, but this feels like a breakup to me. Let's sing one last song together kind of feeling. It is them not facing each other along with Riko's tears and how hard she strikes the keys for a song with lyrics that would imply a soft, tender song. Not a bad end, but a "I'll always be thankful for the memories you've given me" end.

last edited at Jul 2, 2017 2:15AM

Hokuto
Image Comments 02 Jul 01:48
joined Aug 22, 2016
Tumblr_osbhefiht31trx9pno2_1280

"I won't stop with just the tail"

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

Feeling mixed about this. I thought Sono's antics were endearing during the main part of the manga; such as "kinda cute, but glad she isn't my girlfriend"; but now... this just points towards a relationship with serious conflict in the future. I'm not sure they're ready to tell the parents.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 2:30AM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

This was cute, but I first quick-read the title wrongly as 'Flying Peasant'. And then that fan behind the bush happened.

last edited at Jun 30, 2017 5:17PM

Hokuto
Ama + Devi discussion 29 Jun 19:03
joined Aug 22, 2016

Not really yuri, is it?

Demonstrated physical attraction between girls along with the intimate themes? I'd certainly call it Yuri

Hokuto
Citrus discussion 24 Jun 16:08
joined Aug 22, 2016

Damn it. I want to see their relationship take a more physical turn. We've had enough drama, time for some sexy time!

To be honest, and when considering the manga thus far, I do not think what you're looking for is going to happen. I do believe that at some point Mei and Yuzu will have sex in the story, but when it does happen it will not be heavily explicit. My guess is that the moment will be mostly implied with some before and possibly after scenes. If you're just reading for sex then there are plenty of yuri hentai out there and I'm sure some fan out there has drawn Yuzu and Mei going at it.

One thing I really like about Citrus is the realistic set-up of the sexual content. It is easy to be facetious with sexual comments and actions before a relationship starts, but once love is discovered and the serious nature of the sexual actions are revealed in a relationship, often times a couple, especially teens, will take a step back just like Mei and Yuzu have. It's refreshing that they are not rushing into it and are taking time to learn more about each other first. Let's keep in mind that the targeted audiences for Citrus are lesbian or bisexual-female teens.

Underneath all of the repetitive drama, sexual jokes, and absurdities that this manga has, there is a serious romance where there are characters with heartfelt issues. Yuzu even gets scared thinking of how society will look at and possibly condemn not only her sexuality, but her relationship with Mei, her step-sister. I also have a growing thought that Yuzu and Mei's mother will grow suspicious of the closeness and start becoming more involved in the story.

I'd also like to see if there will be any development between Harumin and Matsuri, and I'm looking forward to having Harumin's sister present at the sleep over.

last edited at Jun 24, 2017 4:15PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

In the manga, Umi resigned from the Kendo club to become an idol. In the anime, Umi remains part of the archery club and becomes an idol.

In all, Umi is trained in many forms of martial arts as well as things such as traditional dance and flower arrangement. While it is never truly depicted, she's from a rather traditional and likely quite wealthy family. Umi, Maki (clearly), Eli, and Kotori all seem to have affluent families.

last edited at Jun 9, 2017 10:28PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

Even if this is a case of her feeling she's lost her identity, seems like there's better ways to go about it. She wants to obtain happiness, well that would involve destroying her family and marriage all because some young teenager is infatuated with her. Doesn't sound like happiness to me. I'm gonna revise my earlier statement: I feel bad for the husband AND daughter.

That's assuming the marriage is a good one and that family makes for automatic happiness. Staying together and forcing faithfulness can also be very destructive to a family. It's clear that mother and daughter have a good relationship, but father and daughter may have a horrible one yet there is no evidence of him being good or bad. All that we do learn of him is that while the morning is chaotic and taxing for Chitose, he sits there calmly reading a paper and then simply leaves for work with no other communication from him which is something Chitose clearly resents. We see no communication between father and daughter either so for all we know he could be a work obsessed father who pays no mind to his family at home and never lifts a finger to help. Then again the view-point is one sided so there really is no way to tell if sympathy should be felt for him or not. All that we do learn is that this family for Chitose is draining not only her spirits, but also her identity as a person. Staying together purely for the sake and ideal of family can be just as destructive to those involved as a separation. And separation itself can greatly benefit everyone involved.

I also see no reason to question the sincerity of Saa-chan's feeling for Chitose. It is stated as love and is shown to have physical interests that have developed over years. This love also spans across a long-term separation so I do not see it as infatuation which itself is a short term admiration of someone or something. But even then why should we consider her to be a horrible person? It ends this way, because everything else goes ignored.

I do not see Chitose as acting in an underhanded manner as while she says she won't state clearly her feelings, she will be open enough to make Saa-chan act fist which is understandable for two reasons; Chitose is protecting herself from further loss and more unhappiness and if the relationship is discovered not only could she go to jail, but Saa-chan would also be harmed as well by this. We can argue the right or wrongs, but I see this as pragmatic. The question is if this sort of pragmatism should be practiced between a 15 year old and someone likely in their 40's?

You're right, we don't know enough. From what I get, she would easily destroy her family and marriage to feel good from the infatuation of a 15 year old. Yeah, the dad might not have helped in the morning, but that could just be a cultural thing. He's going to work to provide for his family. It's not his fault she can't handle something as simple as morning breakfast. If something like helps her have an existential crisis, then she might not be that great of a person if she might get to the point where she's unfaithful.

Being a housewife is a lot more than just making breakfast and when combined with all the other duties of the home, breakfast is no longer a simple task. The housewife is an occupation in itself that is a lot of work and no less than what a husband does at work. Culturally speaking there are the sayings that "being a mother is a thankless job" or "a mother's workday never ends". And both are true for many families that follow the cultural standard found around the world where the duties of the mother and those are the father are kept strictly separate, but simply being a standard does not mean the mother should just keep quiet and continue her "simple" job, especially here with the mother in the story. A mother who is clearly shown to not only resent that her husband appears ungrateful or unhelpful to her, but that she is also losing her entire identity. And in the end all of this has little to do with a single meal.

Yes, the father is working hard as well, I never said he wasn't. But if is ineffectual at home to the point that his wife is wasting away, what happiness is there in this family? He may not even be that bad of a guy and it may be the demanding role of a housewife simply is not for Chitose-san, but the manga shows that even if this may be the case, she does a lot of good for her family.

I do agree that for Chitose-san to find herself and some happiness in her life again, this is not a good option for her. And I am not condoning cheating, but the clear perspective here is that Chitose's family life is draining so much from her. This is to the point as I said before that she is willing to find comfort in a minor and even coax in the minor along into a relationship. Going behind her families back as well to achieve this is also not best way to seek a different life, but as the final statement in the manga makes clear, people will see it as being underhanded or that Chitose-san is a bad or "not so great of a person" because that is what they want to see in her. Meanwhile, few people will acknowledge how the situation even came about. All the while the fact that she is a hard working stay-at-home mother despite ending up with a life she may not have wanted. We can not blame her for how she feels nor her motivation, but we can question choices to remedy her situation.

last edited at Jun 5, 2017 6:23PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

Even if this is a case of her feeling she's lost her identity, seems like there's better ways to go about it. She wants to obtain happiness, well that would involve destroying her family and marriage all because some young teenager is infatuated with her. Doesn't sound like happiness to me. I'm gonna revise my earlier statement: I feel bad for the husband AND daughter.

That's assuming the marriage is a good one and that family makes for automatic happiness. Staying together and forcing faithfulness can also be very destructive to a family. It's clear that mother and daughter have a good relationship, but father and daughter may have a horrible one yet there is no evidence of him being good or bad. All that we do learn of him is that while the morning is chaotic and taxing for Chitose, he sits there calmly reading a paper and then simply leaves for work with no other communication from him which is something Chitose clearly resents. We see no communication between father and daughter either so for all we know he could be a work obsessed father who pays no mind to his family at home and never lifts a finger to help. Then again the view-point is one sided so there really is no way to tell if sympathy should be felt for him or not. All that we do learn is that this family for Chitose is draining not only her spirits, but also her identity as a person. Staying together purely for the sake and ideal of family can be just as destructive to those involved as a separation. And separation itself can greatly benefit everyone involved.

I also see no reason to question the sincerity of Saa-chan's feeling for Chitose. It is stated as love and is shown to have physical interests that have developed over years. This love also spans across a long-term separation so I do not see it as infatuation which itself is a short term admiration of someone or something.

I do not see Chitose as acting in an underhanded manner as while she says she won't state clearly her feelings, she will be open enough to make Saa-chan act fist which is understandable for two reasons; Chitose is protecting herself from further loss and more unhappiness and if the relationship is discovered not only could she go to jail, but Saa-chan would also be harmed as well by this. We can argue the right or wrongs, but I see this as pragmatic. The question is if this sort of pragmatism should be practiced between a 15 year old and someone likely in their 40's?

last edited at Jun 3, 2017 11:18PM

joined Aug 22, 2016

I get the feeling for Chitose that her life didn't turn out the way she wanted to. If we consider the news report of the 46 year old and Chitose identified with the report closely, her own age is not far off from the person in the report. With her daughter likely 15 this eludes to the possibility that Chitose got married and had children in her late 20's or early 30's which is older than what would be expected. She may have been wanting to build a career, wasn't into men, or the idea of starting her own family wasn't appealing to her and so she put it off, but eventually got married anyway for one reason or another. She is also seems very proud of her surname and quite fond of her first name feeling it a great loss to no longer have these things. This name represents a different life, a life Chitose likely would have preferred. I'm sure she loves her daughter just fine and in many ways is content, but with the start of the story she appeared haggard from the family routine and even sarcastic or resentful concerning her husband being able to just leave for work. Saa-chan showing up again and then calling Chitose by her name, the first to do so in years or even decades, brought the past back, memories of a better time, or a time where Chitose still felt to be herself. It wasn't just a name, but something very precious.

I do think Chitose accepts and also returns Saa-chan's love, but she won't openly state her feelings. By coaxing Saa-chan to be the one to initiate everything this essentially puts the entire responsibility of the relationship on Saa-chan which Chitose can use to defend herself with if they happen to be discovered. As she says herself, Chitose can also use this was a way out and a way to protect herself should things not work out. In essence, Chitose wants Saa-chan, she does not want to let her go, but Chitose will not allow the desires of someone else, even her own desires, to take anything more from her.

last edited at Jun 3, 2017 12:46PM

Hokuto
joined Aug 22, 2016

I like how Maki appears to be on auto-pilot until giving the present.

Hokuto
Citrus discussion 17 Apr 00:30
joined Aug 22, 2016

...sigh. It's painful to keep seeing Mei left behind and hurt or confused by Yuzu. This was a near repeat of Christmas.

last edited at Apr 17, 2017 12:30AM