Forum › Posts by Arujin

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Okay I finally realized why this manga really doesn't work for me
It's all about the failure of a setting
This story could work so much better if it was set in either some medieval fantasy world or some abhorrent post apocalyptic/scifi world
Instead it is set in yet another high school like every garden variety yuri
That's what really doesn't work because when you see a modern looking boarding school you give it an modern reasoning like why can't they just refuse? Or, why hasn't this become some kind of international incident?
If it was set in a different time period than we are used to than we wouldn't so readily attach an modern way of thinking

Is it really a failure of a setting tho? Sure, a medieval setting would be much more believable, but an "everyday all girl school" with such a plotpoint sure as hell comes off as much more unsettling in my opinion. I think creating a very natural setting and adding an unnatural, disturbing element makes for a pretty good place for a story like this to take place in.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Kek, okay.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

The tags lied to me

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I can't believe how devoid of emotion this whole thing was. It almost makes me feel like it was done on purpose?

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

tag: reversal
soon

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I can't believe this mangaka is actually consistently drawing something I like. It's crazy.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Get absolutely fucking destroyed.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Hell yeah, these two have something in common. Maybe they can reconcile over beating up Minami again.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Maybe the author just has a thing for seeing girls a bit roughed up, so they put it in whether it be for comedic or serious purposes. I mean, what?

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Is this some form of an S&M play? If so, nice.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Bro...

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

This discussion encouraged me to go look for diversity on gender representation and I found a good article talking about some things related:
As a feminist, how do you feel about how women are portrayed in anime and manga?.
I recommend the reading, It has a lot of good mentions.

Ugh. The more time passes, the more I hate that Friedman woman.

Phew, I'm not the only one who 'hate' her

She summed up her opinions and arguments + many other's perfectly by going "AUUUGGHHHHH" because that's the only thing she can manage.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I could get used to this gimmick.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I respect the mangaka's dedication to drawing boobs, that's no easy task. Especially in all these different situations.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I hope MC dies and her identical twin sister starts dressing just like her and falls in love with Rikako.

last edited at Oct 20, 2018 11:07PM

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

That was pretty easy to understand; basically childhood friend has a higher chance of winning now. Unless this story is actually about the twin developing feelings for her sister's crush. I personally prefer the former, let bun girl win please.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

pfft

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

i like that casual insert of cathulu at the end, scanlation bois.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Strict.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Hell yeah, new chapter baby. Though now I really am curious about the scanlation process of this series. Usually we wait like a year for a new volume right, what changed? Not that Im complaining.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

^This.

Both MCs are terrible in my opinion.

If there was character development, maybe it would be worth it, but I have a hunch it will eventually come out of nowhere, just before it ends.

There's already been character development, Hashikawa especially has developed quite a bit. I don't know what you're on about.

Arujin
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

The “ugly girl doesn’t look ugly” thing is an issue of long-standing in popular culture, although a slightly different one in comics/manga than in live-action.

The "ugly girl doesn't look ugly" thing is an issue of long standing in -real life-.

Standards of attractiveness are arbitrary and subject to all kinds of irrational biases. I have met dozens of people over the course of my life that have been mocked and regarded as ugly by their classmates who look perfectly normal.

People get called ugly sometimes because they have a feature that stands out (in another decade, that same feature might get someone called pretty) Sometimes they get called ugly because they just don't try to be pretty, sometimes they get called ugly because somebody popular felt threatened by them and wants to turn public opinion against them. Sometimes it has nothing to do with their appearance at all, but because it gets repeated by enough people, everybody just seems to accept it.

Sure, some people are more traditionally attractive than others, but the "ugly kid" is almost always more likely to be a victim of the social pecking order than their actual physical appearance.

This. And besides, if I'm gonna be reading something for a long time, I want the characters Im looking at be aesthetically pleasing, I dont have any issue with following the narrative if someone insulted and called "ugly" isnt actually ugly.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

These character designs and uniforms are amazing. Please for the love of god keep scanlating this.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Seen a lot of negativity toward this series. Don't really get it. It's simple, dumb, fun, and it seems to regularly be criticized for doing exactly as advertised.

Everyone here is SOOOOO uptight, so get used to it.

It's true, I feel like people can't just enjoy dumb fun for what it is and feel the need to overanalyze the character's menality and motives as if the story is supposed to be taken seriously. If people are reading this expecting serious relationship advances in every chapter they have only themselves to blame for disappointment.

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 8:16AM

Arujin
Killing Me! discussion 18 Jul 14:07
Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

When's volume 2?