Forum › Posts by Gudetamago

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I had no idea how they would handle the speech bubble cutting off the thoughts, but they just didn't. Which is fine, we all know what she thought!

It was a subbing mistake. The anime did adapt the bubble cut by having Yuu saying "baka" over "suki." I asked HiDive to change the sub & they said they'll send the recommendation to their TL & subtitling team. I'm sure Asenshi will have the sub right.

Also, the bed scene is amazing.

last edited at Dec 21, 2018 11:53PM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

It's not just YagaKimi slipping down to 8th but the entire ranking went through a pretty massive change. For example, Goblin Slayer went from 100th to 27th, Citrus is now 76th, & Kase-san is not even on the other ranking anymore. I don't know what happened there. This is the first time I see such a drastic change to the ranks, but I'm glad we still manage to stay in top 10 somehow. As long as we're in there, that's good enough for exposure purpose.

Girls' Last Tour within top 20 gives me hope for humanity.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

It also amuses me a bit that in the middle of all those cute, fun and colorful shows, you have Attack on Titan of all things. XD Eren×Levi shippers I suppose.

HnK isn't rlly cute fun tho. It's suffering.

A bit surprised to see Citrus so low though.

It's too high if u ask me.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

And for some reason, Dynamic Chord is no. 35. Wut.

Fujos. They'll eat up anything.

For those interested in where other yuri titles place. Citrus is at 44 & HSL at 74. Kase-san ranks 12th over in the movie category.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Oh, and this is barely related to this topic, but I think it is just related enough NOT to count as spam:
https://i.imgflip.com/2ojzm3.jpg

Is it seriously 5th most popular? :O

According to this poll: https://best100.animefestival.jp/
It's an annual ranking in Japan where fans get to vote for their fav TV series and movies. Note that YagaKimi is probably not more popular than shows like SAO or JoJo or any other big hits within the last year. The poll is more reflective of how dedicated the fanbase of the different series are, IMO. You can see that in how the poll is very much dominated by fujo shows lol YagaKimi probably just has more fans who are willing to vote in these polls than some other titles. Not to say that it's not popular. Sales projection along with Kusunoki's tweet on stock demand suggest that the BD might do decently.

last edited at Dec 9, 2018 7:35PM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Although I find that a vote like that is always biased to more current shows because of emotional investment.

I think there's some truth to that but considering the top 10, that doesn't seem like a major problem here. The only bias is fujos are too stronk lmao

1. Banana Fish
  2. idolish7
  3. DoriFest! R
  4. SoraYori
  5. Osomatsu-san S2
  6. YagaKimi
  7. Houseki no Kuni
  8. AOT 3
  9. Yowapedal Glory Line
  10. Hataraku Saibou
Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Good to see there are some of you enjoying the anime so much. I'm not convinced yet...

At least you're still on the fence so you might enjoy it down the line. I already gave up on the production quality for the most part. Just watching to see how wild this director can get with important scenes and how the sakuga for them will turn out.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I need help. Perhaps someone could either agree with how I feel or help me understand my confusion.

On page 18, I'm a little confused and frustrated with Touko's words.

"I can't answer Yuu's feelings."

The way I'm reading this puts Touko in a bad light. She's already told Yuu that she loves her. I don't think she's incapable of returning love. I think she's incapable of accepting love. Otherwise, I have to believe that Touko was lying and abusing Yuu for her own selfish emotional needs. I mean, just look a couple panels above and you see Touko in a dominant sexual position over Yuu. If what everyone says here about the author's visual clues are true then I would perceive Touko's thoughts as acknowledgement of her using Yuu for her intimate desires with no strings attached.

I don't want to have ill feelings toward Touko so, I would have rather it said,

"I can't accept Yuu's feelings."

It would make more sense to me, and I would have a little more sympathy for Touko.

What she meant was not "I can't love her back" but more like "I can't enter into a formal relationship with her." & this is due to the fact that she can't accept others' love, like you and everyone else have said. As for the panel, indeed it is a callback to ch 22 when Touko told Yuu that she hated herself so she should not love what she hated. We have had discussions on whether Touko had been intentionally trying to emotionally manipulate Yuu (& also Sayaka) or not, and most agree that she hadn't--not intentionally, at least. That panel is simply another extension of this. After Yuu confessed, Touko is starting to realize just how inconsiderate she had been and how much pain she had put Yuu through because of their relationship. That panel is simply showing how she is still feeling guilty over it.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

ಠ_ಠ

It really annoys the crap out of me when all somebody can think about with regards to romance is "are they gonna fuck already?" Like put it back in your pants for two goddamn seconds.

B-but the only reason I follow this series is to see whether they'll fuck in the end or not!

Edit: Not sure if everyone knows, but the anime will be 13 eps (& yes, full length for those who are still worried)

last edited at Sep 30, 2018 7:44PM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Yuu has always been a very straightforward person, and although it takes a long time for her to make a decision, she sticks with the consequences of that decision once she’s made it. So, as a kind of very non-romantic parallel, for Yuu it’s as if she’s tried out for a sports team and didn’t make the cut, and now it hurts, but that’s that.

Let's elaborate on Yuu a bit, cuz that kinda sells her emotional state short. Yuu has always been a logical thinker who rationalizes her emotions. She is very disconnected from her own feelings, so she uses what she sees/hears from others as a meter to compare hers to so it is easier for her to understand. This of course leads to a lot of confusion for her since she experiences these emotions differently from others & this is how this whole story started. This chapter brings back Yuu's initial struggle to the table (a clear callback to ch 1). She is trying to rationalize her heartbreak by second-guessing her feelings. "Oh, I didn't cry like Akari after rejection, so it might not have been love after all." This backward thinking is not because Yuu hasn't developed at all throughout the course of the story, she has changed, as Touko stated in ch 34. It is just coping mechanism at this point. She acted on impulse and confessed but was not emotionally ready for rejection. For someone who has been so emotionally disconnected, all the feelings of frustration, regret, sadness, and hurt hitting her all at once is probably too much for her brain to process, so she regresses back to the only coping mechanism she ever knows: rationalizing and denying her feelings (lying to herself, as always).

Imo, this development with the both of them is to show how fragile and tough change can be. They both have just come out of their old shells recently with Touko realizing it's ok to be herself and Yuu coming to terms with her love for Touko, but these changes haven't been set in stone yet. Old doubts and insecurities are just right behind them, so it's easy to revert back to them when things go wrong, which they did. It is a necessary development for both to help them come to a better understanding of themselves and their feelings so a foundation can be built for a healthier relationship. They'll get there, eventually.

Side issue #2: That panel on page 7 is Yuu’s memory of Akari crying, and her realization that she herself isn’t crying, correct?

Yes.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Raws: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5894766214

Long story short: Yuu is questioning why she confessed, what love means, and whether she actually loved Touko because she couldn't even cry after the hard rejection. In other words, the shock of rejection was so hard, She's coping with it by reverting all the way back to square 1. Their relationship is becoming strained & Touko doesn't know what to say to Yuu because girl is dumb. All expected developments & now we wait for the side characters to slap some sense into these idiots.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

YagaKimi is getting an anthology. Participating authors include Canno, Itoh Hachi, tMnR, & Mekimeki Oukoku. More authors will be announced later. No release date yet. Source

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Yuu dashed off in tears almost two months ago!! What if she’s been lying in a ditch somewhere all this time? Or she fell and hit her head and is wandering around with amnesia?

Rumors say that she's still running till this day

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

There will be a chapter this month on the 27th as always. Everyone can relax now.

Is there any info yet on when/where it'll stream in the west?

No announcements on licensing yet, unfortunately.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

A manga about her from Nakatani Nio could be better. I have no information whatsoever about it, but it isn't clear if she didn't want to do it, or the spin-off of a very popular title was given to Iruma Hitoma who isn't exactly known for his yuri works and at least according to Wikipadia is a male.

The outrage I was referring to is the one that started after the manipulation of women's test scores came to light. It made people talk more about sexism in Japan, and I have to try very hard no to take whom the spin-off was given to as "this is a hit, it's a miracle a woman pulled it off, now let's give the spin-off to that guy at our company, it's a given he'll do a better job than a woman would." I hope it's just me being too negative, at least when it comes to half of that, but I don't have too high hopes for how good it'll be...

Iruma & Nakatani have done a similar collab before. He did an incest age gap yuri light novel and Nakatani illustrated the cover. I believe Adachi & Shimamura is also a pretty well-known yuri light novel among the Jap yuri community so I see no harm done here. Spin-offs don't always get made by the original author, so this is not new. Besides, with the anime & manga going on at the same time the spin-off is coming out, it's better to let someone else do it since Nakatani is probably busier than ever. As I said before, this spinoff is most likely going to be a prequel since they can't just make a sequel story when the manga isn't even done yet, so it'll probably be short. If Nakatani wants to make a spin-off sequel about Sayaka after the main story is done, she can do that and I don't think the publisher will try to pull any rug.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

^ It's coming out on November 10. Both manga & anime should still be ongoing at that point, so it's safe to say that it's gonna be a prequel or the story in Sayaka's POV. Writing about her first love would be an easy focus, especially when it's a completely different writer, so I think it's likely.

last edited at Sep 7, 2018 1:00AM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/bunko_dengeki/status/1037899792725073920

Sayaka is getting a spin-off novel written by Hitoma Iruma, author of Adachi to Shimamura. Nakatani will do some illustrations for it.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Just a heads up guys. Yuri Navi, the biggest yuri info website in Japan, is taking in questions from fans to interview Nakatani in commemoration of YagaKimi winning the general yuri manga election for the 2nd year in a row. If anyone knows Japanese & has questions for Nakatani, feel free to participate. Here's the link. Limited to one question per person. The deadline is Aug. 15.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I'm wondering how many chapters the anime will cover. The pacing in the manga doesn't give the impression that there's much room for further improvement. It'd be quite a tragedy if the plot is rushed. Almost as worrisome would be a "go read the manga" ending.

12 eps would be too little to cover all the materials & 24 eps would be too many. This is why I don't like how almost every anime has to stick to these numbers. It's most likely going to be one cour, so in order for the anime to reach any sort of proper resolution (I'm guessing the play), it will need to cut out some earlier chaps.

I just happened to re-read some of the Sayaka chapters, and I don’t think Touko really is that oblivious, like when she says, “[Sayaka] lets me keep my secrets.”

She’s oblivious about what Sayaka means by taking her arm when meeting the ex-lover at the train station, but she has no reason to understand that, and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t know about the full nature of Sayaka’s love for her, but (and let me see if I can get this right):

• Touko knows that Sayaka knows that Touko isn’t really like she presents herself in public
  • Touko knows that the fact that Sayaka pretends to not know that Touko isn’t really like she presents herself in public is because of Sayaka’s affection for Touko
  • (this part is speculation) I think Touko knows that Sayaka would like to be closer to her, and that Sayaka not trying to be closer is also because of Sayaka’s affection for her

So (if I’m right) that’s a pretty perceptive and nuanced kind of “obliviousness.”

I think what Touko meant by that is that Sayaka doesn't pry into her personal bubble. Sayaka is super perceptive and always questions Touko whenever she's suspicious of her hiding something from her. However, when Touko tries to dodge the question, Sayaka just leaves it at that. The way the conversation that led up to Touko's monologue was framed, we can assume that Touko knows that Sayaka is aware of her secrets, but thinks that it's only on the surface level. Because what she said here is that "as long as I can keep up the perfect act, she won't go searching for what I'm hiding." This is why Touko says Sayaka is kind and being around her is safe "in a different way than Yuu." Touko doesn't reason why Sayaka is "kind" the way she is towards her. She isn't associating Sayaka's kindness to any sort of affection, just like how she doesn't associate Yuu's kindness to any sort of affection. What makes them kind to her is the way they act. Yuu won't judge her for being weak and Sayaka won't dig up her lies. Maybe there's a part in her brain that thinks that there's more to Sayaka's kindness than what meets the eyes, just like her suspicion of Yuu back in ch 24, but her full consciousness just doesn't connect any of these things together. I'm saying this because despite possible suspicion, it took Yuu to flat out say it to her face this chapter for her to painfully realize that she's been unknowingly hurting her feelings. I think it is the same case for Sayaka. Suggesting that she is aware of Sayaka's affection, even if not the full extent of it, means that we're suggesting that she has been knowingly using emotional manipulation on her and I don't think that has been the direction of the narrative. However, this is still a really interesting topic to bring up and now I'm very curious to see how Touko will react to Sayaka's confession, assuming she will do it at some point. Will she just sorrily but firmly reject Sayaka (the whole speculation on her accepting Sayaka's confession is really implausible at this point) or will she again be anguishing over the realization that she's been hurting her best friend's feelings before finally rejecting her, of course?

last edited at Aug 2, 2018 1:54PM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Big question though: why isn't Yuu crying?

Touko will make her cry on bed.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

How can she just now suddenly realize that she's been doing bad things to Yuu like it never even crossed her mind? And how it is relevant at all to whether that person loves her or not? So sexually ab(using) strangers or people that don't care about you is totally ok?

Because Yuu has been explicitly consenting to all of Touko's advances, like others have pointed out. She agreed to having this relationship with her. Have you ever heard of friends with benefits?

last edited at Aug 1, 2018 12:33PM

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Somebody please confirm this because my Japanese skill is not great. On page 14, the "this can't go on" in Japanese is "dame nanda ne" which is more accurately "I can't do it huh?" in that context and then the "I have to say it" is "iccha dame nanda" which is actually "I really can't say it." These have very different meanings. If how I'm understanding the lines is correct, Yuu was actually considering of backing down again in order to follow along with Touko's status quo and then waiting for Touko to change enough by herself to reciprocate her feelings someday, but in the end, she could not hold back her feelings any longer so she went and took that leap of faith right there and then.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I really want to see Yuu confiding to her big sister in detail about what happened. Of course we already know her sister will support her.

I really think this will happen & I honestly can't wait for it.

Random observation: Yuu is unbelievably cute.

Great observation my friend. Truly a person of culture.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I’m just a little disappointed because I expected a little more understanding from Yuu.

It's her first time confessing, girl thought she jumped the gun there. Remember that Yuu has been expecting rejection more so than acceptance from Touko so Touko saying "I'm sorry" comes off as an answer to her. Classic misunderstanding.

Gudetamago
Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

That was a beautifully delivered chapter. I cried reading the RAW, I cried now with the TL. The fact that the first thought Touko had upon the confession was the realization that she had been hurting Yuu because of her selfish request all along is honestly beautiful. Her mind is in the right place and we now only need some supports to help her get over her own barrier with love to get to that happy ending. Since the Kyoto field trip is only among the second years, I'm imagining some interesting interactions with Sayaka coming up.