Forum › Posts by Oeconomist

Oeconomist
SHY discussion 01 Nov 19:04
joined Jun 6, 2021

Aaaand more Gilligan's Island writing.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Are these two dating? Do their friends know?

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

The 48 sexual positions began as a joke, alluding to a previous enumeration of 48 winning sumo moves.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Even in prehistory, the Japanese were somehow made very ill by water.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Painfully sad.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

This series is infuriating.

Oeconomist
SHY discussion 24 Oct 19:58
joined Jun 6, 2021

Also why would you ever leave your transformation item at home????

Because the editor and publisher, lacking respect for the readers, did not tell the mangaka that the series would swiftly be axed if Gilligan's Island story-telling were used.

Oeconomist
SHY discussion 24 Oct 02:35
joined Jun 6, 2021

Left her converter bracelets at home? This devices manages to be even more stupid than Captain Marvel jr turning back into Freddy Freeman and Mary Marvel turning back into Mary Bromfield.

Oeconomist
Café Date discussion 21 Oct 00:30
joined Jun 6, 2021

Justice. Rough, to be sure; but justice.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Very nice!

joined Jun 6, 2021

Combine the primitive art with the delay in scanlation, and I'm lost. But I doubt that it much matters.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Ponko could as easily have been a child's companion, playing at being a fighting robot, as truly have been a fighting robot.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Adult lions are generally significantly smaller than adult tigers, and lose fights to them. Metaphors need to be considered and informed.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Also, isnt 30.3cm not a bit small?

It plainly says that 1 shaku is approximately 30.3 cm. It says that she is at least 8 shaku in height, not 1 shaku. That would make her over 7 ft 11 inches tall (over 242 cm).

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

[ˈmadl], [ˈmadəl], [ˈmɒdl], or [ˈmɒdəl]. No one could even pronounce [maˈdl].

joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm very glad to see the third anime special chapter here! (I'm hoping that licensed English-language translations will become available.)

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

I'm amongst those who hope that there will someday be another tankobon, and that a licensed English-language translation will be released on paper.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

[Comment rendered redundant by subsequent title change.]

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 8:23PM

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Valid criticism if the goal were to closely recap Western Revolutions. But it's not like the ideas weren't out there, cf. Thomas Paine, or English Poor Laws.

The poor laws weren't effected by revolution, but by something of an anti/counter-revolution (much like Bismark's creation of the modern welfare state). And Paine was embracing ideas from later in the French Revolution after it had undergone the revolution of aristrocrats against the monarch, after it had undergone the liberal revolution of the middle class against the aristocrats, and was then heading (with Paine oblivious) towards a technocratic dictatorship whose base of support was in the proletariat. The novel is simply oblivious even to the conceivability of liberalism.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

How sweet!

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

How sweet!

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

I am pretty sure that even in the West, most authors and general audiences are pretty fuzzy about whats and whys of our own history. :-)

But the question at hand was of what sort of revolution to expect.

In the novel, the revolution establishes a welfare state; it is evident that the author doesn't understand the course of revolution in the Age of Enlightenment.

last edited at Oct 1, 2021 7:41AM

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

Bear in mind that the writers of the games upon which this story is based and the author of the novel have a fuzzy understanding of the whats and whys of Westerner revolutions.

joined Jun 6, 2021

The word is “sep*a*rate”, not “sep*e*rate”. Although it's not related to “*par*t”, it is still mnemonically useful to think of “se*par*ate” as if that were the “par” in “part”.

And remember, kids: You won't learn proper English in AOL chatrooms.

Oeconomist
joined Jun 6, 2021

The Japanese really did improve on the design of the abacus, given that one is working in base ten.