Forum › Posts by Arcane

joined Feb 22, 2018

Not gonna lie, that's kind of terrifying to think about.

Actually this could be an actual drug. And it would have practical medicinal qualities like treating epilepsy and Tourette's Syndrome.

What is disturbing is that Uta baked them into cookies. That's not a standard experimental protocol, and you wonder what she was intending to do with them.

last edited at Dec 11, 2020 11:32PM

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

Finishing work at eight pm is already grossly overtime...

Not in Japan. It's common to finish work there at 9 or even 10PM. They're trying to fix the problem, but "company loyalty" is deeply rooted in their society, so it's gonna take time.

The national retirement system was shredded by the Yen Bubble Crash, and it still hasn't recovered 30 years later. In fact with the impending retirement surge it's going to get worse. So 70 hour work weeks are still necessary to ensure a decent retirement pot.

Arcane
School Zone discussion 01 Dec 01:06
joined Feb 22, 2018

Kanto/Kansai rivarly is similar to Yankee/Redneck you know...

It's not, though. Kansai dialect is not equivalent to slow-talking country bumpkin at all. Both areas are metropolitan areas, and the two most populous ones in Japan, at that. A more apt comparison would be the New York / L.A. rivalry.

To be fair, though, there isn't an actual perfect 1:1 comparison between Kanto / Kansai and any two US regions.

When AD Vision dubbed Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (set in Osaka) they used actors from the Houston area (ADV's home), giving it an East Texas twang.

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

Oh, Tsukimizu. I love how their metaphors are so hilariously on the nose that they circle back into being esoteric and abstract. Reminds me of Utena and the iconic crimson sexmobile. The town's pretty interesting- at first glance, it seems like a heaven where thoughts influence reality, on second thought, it seems like a hell where your subconscious engineers endless new ordeals, and a third try makes you wonder if it's just purgatory for those that couldn't get anything of value done and wonder what the point of it all is. In the end, you realize that it's all of these things and also none of them, so very abstract and personal and bizarre and incomprehensible that the sum total of all the weirdos cancels out individual absurdity. And so, we loop back to inhabiting an obscure, sleepy local town, as large or small as the distance you're willing to walk to grab the groceries while debating Schopenhauer with your girlfriend.

It's Dadaism in manga form. The comprehensible is just a layer alongside the absurd. Strangely enough there's an SCP where a member of the Church of the Broken God joins the Are We Cool Yet artists collective to create a bizarre machine that also generates a Dadaist reality. It also creates fish.

joined Feb 22, 2018

My friend googled "Fundoshi"...

Fundoshi (褌, ふんどし) is the traditional Japanese undergarment for adult males, made from a length of cotton. Before World War II, the fundoshi was the main form of underwear for Japanese adult males.

Sooo, Hana wants to see Kuki crossdressing?

The fundoshi is unusual of being both loose fitting (like boxers) but having a thong back. This combination makes it a kind of alternative lingerie for Japanese women, it's simplicity and indigenous origin makes somewhat chic.

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

And again, Hino being vague on her parents.Did they really live here and don't care that her daughter have a cold ? Are they dead ? Or did Hino has move from her hometown alone and her parents are in fact still at her hometown ?

They're definitely dead. Nagisa was in grade school, and the accident occurred on a cold and rainy day. She remembers the moment, when she was in class listening to her teacher's lesson, and the school principal suddenly entered unannounced, and called her name: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hino_san_no_baka_ch45#3

Afterwards she seems to have sunk into a state of stoic, emotional impregnabilit; showing no outward signs of grief. But her grandmother saw through this facade, and convinced her to move away from her hometown and attend her grandmother's alma mater in an attempt to put distance between herself and visceral reminders of her parents and restart her life. She had a bit of money from an insurance payout or lawsuit settlement, which affords her an apartment and financial independence

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

A quick question. Are urara and labyrinth town based on Japanese myths / folk tales or author's own creations? I'm familiar with most of the other concepts seen so far (chapter 17) but not with urara.

(Sorry for not searching myself nor reading the thread, trying to avoid spoilers.)

It's a mix of traditional Japanese fortune telling (uranai) and the authors own creation. Basically the urara are a mix of geisha and fortune teller, and Meirochou (the town) is basically a fortune telling Kyoto.

This manga conclusion is Chapter 62, btw. Someone already translated and posted it on Mangadex, probably because it doesn't have any pertinent spoilers aside from confirming ships.

joined Feb 22, 2018

Interesting fact: the Marvel superheroine Valkyrie is canonically bisexual.

Kageko's version seems to mix aspects of Punisher and Hawkeye (in his Ronin persona), though neither of those "heal others with their smiles". Kageko is a confirmed Punisher fan, having a rug in her room with his death's head emblem.

last edited at Nov 4, 2020 11:24PM

Arcane
Yuru Oyako discussion 25 Oct 22:07
joined Feb 22, 2018

We're this close for Sayaka and Yuuki to finally fuck each other.

The trick to reading these Sugar Momma chapters is as follows:

1) These chapters are in continuous, linear order. The events in earch chapters directly precedes the events in the succeeding chapter.
2) Taiyaki flipped the page order in every chapter. The second page precedes the first.

joined Feb 22, 2018

The digital version of the light novel is out in English! There were a few name and translation changes from the webnovel but overall it's mostly the same, with the addition of an extra story that helps connect the last part of the novel with future stuff.

If you're enjoying the manga, you should definitely check out the light novel. There's also going to be a physical version, which will be released on November 10.

https://sevenseasentertainment.com/series/im-in-love-with-the-villainess-light-novel/

Second novel is out in February 2021

joined Feb 22, 2018

First of all, I'd suggest basing judgments on what school they're in on, you know, what they actually say, not on how tall you imagine they should be. Second of all, the average 17-year-old girl in Japan is 5'1". This is the weirdest and most baseless thing to complain about.

Japanese girls are on average about an inch shorter than their Western counterparts and those statistics are probably outdated. And that's a mean average. Based upon statistical distribution there should be a number of girls that are near the mc's height. It's a poorly executed conceit by the aurhor.

Arcane
School Zone discussion 21 Sep 16:36
joined Feb 22, 2018

gosh
what's up with Utsuri?
don't tell me we'll get drama....

Another sad clown.

Arcane
Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

Oh also I didn't notice the first time reading it, but page 2 (and 3, to a lesser extent) has tons of actual yuri works, ahah. Very nice touch.

The only one i didnt know was 'A tropical fish yearns for snow' - whats that? Doesn't seem to be on the site.

That is

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru

joined Feb 22, 2018

Fucking finally, someone did it

Which raises a question: Wtf did it take so long.?

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

That's just typical of Kisaki's coworkers: Instead of doing their pen work, they always leave her in the larch

joined Feb 22, 2018

Why are the Japanese so into alpacas, anyway?

Aren't they pretty popular everywhere these days? Alpaca wool is kinda "trendy". Either way, I know Swabian and Bavarian alpaca farms and petting zoos. Clearly there some global alpaca fad going on ...

Sure, everyone loves alpaca wool, but I never see them pop up in memes and pop-culture elsewhere like they do in Japan. Also capybaras.

https://qz.com/986398/how-the-capybara-the-worlds-largest-rodent-became-a-superstar-in-japan/

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

We're halfway through volume 5, and there's a total of 7 volumes. About 2/3rds of the way to the end.

Chapter 62 is the finale, and is already translated and posted to mangadex. Although it isn't as illuminating as you'd expect (in fact it leaves some major questions).

Arcane
Dear NOMAN discussion 04 Sep 23:01
joined Feb 22, 2018

Wow, that was crossovers nobody asked for

And BocchiMou hasn't been translated yet, afaik.

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

Looks like both protagonists are involved in corporate espionage, with one being an infiltrator and the other a corporate security officer assigned to rooting her out. Banks are prime targets for terrorism and foreign spy agencies, as both groups rely upon foreign money wires to move funds, and come under heavy scrutiny.

What's more interesting is that the inspiration for this manga appears to be American. Specifically this is a yurified version of Mad Magazine's "White Spy versus Black Spy."

Arcane
School Zone discussion 21 Aug 12:33
joined Feb 22, 2018

Dang it, I knew this would happen. They have a major character moment, then they leave off on a big cliffhanger until much later, to only drag it out again.

Wait for 51 ("I Loove You") and 52 ("Promise Me")

Arcane
joined Feb 22, 2018

She has no friends? What is she, un-poplar? Does she pine for companionship? Willow she take the chance for human comfort, or will her dreams turn to ash? Yew will find out in future installments! So spruce up your heart, and be the fir-st to discover the ways that love can put down its roots.

Arcane
School Zone discussion 10 Aug 03:34
joined Feb 22, 2018

At least Matsuri introduced herself. When the arcade opens its new expansion, paid for entirely with all the money earned from her idiotic obsession, they can dedicate it in her name.

Arcane
School Zone discussion 05 Aug 00:15
joined Feb 22, 2018

...........Are we not going to talk about the fact that she had 80,000 yen, the equivalent of nearly 760 dollars, just randomly with her..... in coins?

No. They either had coin changing machines (dispensing either coins or tokens) or the attendant dispenses them herself. Or Fuji was carrying 500 yen coins, though this is less likely.

last edited at Aug 5, 2020 12:19AM

joined Feb 22, 2018

To be clear, did the Ultra Evil girls kill those Magical girls? Or did they just wipe the floor with them? It feels like it'd throw the comedic tone in this particular story if killing became an option.

That's something I've been curious to know, too. I'd like to believe it's the latter. They gave them a beat down and took/destroyed the transformation stars. It could very well be what another poster pointed out as a possible explanation behind all of this:

the theory that the mascots are working together seems more plausible than I thought at first. It would not only explain why Venalita is not as serious about world domination as you'd expect from the forces of evil, but also why his "good" counterpart is managing the magical girl' media appearances in addition to fighting evil. In the end, they're just running a RL magical girl show and making money from it. And interestingly, what made me think of this was the shape of the barrier devices here including both the magical girls' heart and the evil side's star in their design.

Killing could then be considered going too far and measures would've had to be taken rather than ignored.

Are you sure that there's "two" mascots? Venalita might be mascots for both teams without anyone being the wiser.