Forum › Posts by ian

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

i am running Internet Explorer 11.0.10 (i know everyone hates internet explorer, but i don't like chrome or firefox so its what i use)

but i do have firefox downloaded on my computer and it loads up normally on firefox..... unfortunately i don't like using firefox.... :(

so I went to a completely different internet network, logged onto a completely different computer, used Internet Explorer 11.0.11 and it still blew up the images to huge sizes. so I think there is an incompatibility between you guys and IE 11. i hope the dynasty people can figure something out. in the mean time i will be using firefox (even though i hate it)

*edit: I am not mad, impatient, or anything I just want to maximize my yuri experience XD

last edited at Sep 7, 2014 5:45PM

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

i am running Internet Explorer 11.0.10 (i know everyone hates internet explorer, but i don't like chrome or firefox so its what i use)

but i do have firefox downloaded on my computer and it loads up normally on firefox..... unfortunately i don't like using firefox.... :(

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I guess it is kind of strange I have made it this far without having an account on some sort of image hosting site. oh well, here you go. doing this because I love you guys so much and want to enjoy this website as much as I can ^_^

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/itaylor2011/library/Screen%20Shots

there are 3 pictures that are the size I am used to, 2 of "Stretch" and 1 of Ebisu-Hotei, the others are all super huge and some are distorted because I have clicked the "resize" button. and the big ones quite literally take up my entire computer screen.

last edited at Sep 6, 2014 10:45PM

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

Any chance for a screenshot of this?

of course, I just checked again, and it is still doing it. I can send them to you, but I don't know how? just let me know how you want to go about me getting them to you and I will be more than happy to comply :)

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

and I am the only one that has been having new releases load up in ridiculously large formats? like "Stretch" will load up in regular dimensions, about 800 pixels wide, but then I go to chapter 13 of "Yurika's Campus Life" or the new release of chapter 7 of "Honey Quartet" and they load up in insane sizes, 1200+ pixels across. its really cumbersome to read like this. ("Sweet Melancholy" is another one I am having problems with)

is this a problem with my computer? I would think if it was a problem with my computer it would be the same for all manga, meaning that stretch would also be blown up to 1200 pixels across, but its not.....

*edit: and clicking the resize button doesn't help, it actually distorts the image (or skews I guess you could say)

last edited at Sep 6, 2014 3:43PM

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I was thinking a prequel and a sequel tag would be good to have. These tags can be included for one-shots that has two parts. I was reading this manga http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/even by Miman and there was no next chapter but there was a sequel which is this one: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/step_in

I second this ^
there have actually been several series (and i say series) where i have found out it was multiple parts only after reading. i mean most of the time the uploaders post the prequel/sequel in the manga's thread, but i generally don't look at the thread first (i mean i do now, but i don't think i should have to do that for every oneshot i come across :P )

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I like this story <3

ian
Even discussion 03 Sep 09:05
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

Growing up is a part of life.

Yes you do grow up but forcing it does not help either. There is no reason to change who you are just for the sake of being mature.

Change rarely happens because you want it. It's just something that happens to you as you grow older and experience all kinds of things throughout life, both positive and negative. And some people have no choice but to change themselves.

Oh there are plenty of people (teens) who just want to be "mature" and force it.

I agree with fipse, if people change when they don't want to then the change is pointless. change could be a conscious decision or it could be unconscious, but the important thing is that you don't force it.

and when you say "change rarely happens because you want it" I imagine you are talking about outside/uncontrollable factors, the change me and fipse are talking about is your reaction to those factors. you can control your reaction, and your reaction should be something you are comfortable with

you grow as a person when you look at a situation and say "hey, I was wrong" not when you look at a situation and say "hey, the world thinks I am wrong". the latter reasoning is stupid and harmful.

ian
Image Comments 01 Sep 19:30
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014
Tumblr_me5gbsmvyc1rke90po1_1280

they pretty much were shown like this, not exactly but still very close, to the point where it had equal/more romantic value

ian
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

wow, that was surprising good. I usually hate love triangles because someone somewhere generally gets hurt, but since this is more about the pseudo-stable state that has developed between the 3 I feel like it was a much more fulfilling story, where the characters come to terms with their feelings (or something of that nature, other people have said evolved, that could be true as well)

I don't know if I would want a side story.... but if there was one I would want it from eiko's point of view (I always seem to relate to the character that is in the most pain, and I do feel like she is in the most pain, she was the protagonist for the sequel and you see her starting to take her love for shina more seriously). I would actually prefer more installments in the story, and not necessarily "conclusive" installments, because I think Nanzaki demonstrated that sequels don't have to be conclusive to be enjoyable or impactful

although if I am waiting for 4 years I could be here a while.... oh well

last edited at Aug 23, 2014 8:13PM

ian
Mama Mama discussion 22 Aug 09:20
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

Have a look at the World Values Survey. Just throw the name into Google, they’re easy to find. Go to Data & Documentation -> Online Analysis. Look up some of the cultural factors in Japanese society, in particular when it comes to marriage and LGBT acceptance. Marriage does not always represent an “oh we’re so in love” feel-good scenario, but is often a much more functional element; not necessarily a commitment to another person, but seen as part of one’s duty to society. In such a setting, it is culturally perfectly acceptable that a marriage fulfils a purely formal role – love and intimacy are not required. The Japan Times even has an article titled “Sexlessness wrecks marriages, threatens nation’s future”, including a study showing that the Japanese have the least sex in the world by a fair margin. Factor a lack of social acceptance of LGBT people into that and you have a recipe for exactly the sort of situation Amano shows here.

So why do I feel it important that such Doujins exist? Because, if the only representation is one of happy schoolgirl lesbians living in a fully accepting society, then we will never see the societal changes that are necessary. One of the elements that made, for instance, Prism so gripping is the scene where the girls are suddenly confronted by discrimination. This echoes the experience of many in real life, and not always is there someone fully accepting to save the day. Can a manga change that? Amano’s story will not singlehandedly change the world, but it may open the eyes of some people in Japan and abroad to the situations that many find themselves in today. Maybe the very indignation that people are displaying can cause them to think that a more open and accepting society is something to strive for. At least that’s my positive takeaway from this one.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 thank you so much for the "World Values Survey" resource, that is a truly awesome thing, definitely provides a lot of insight. and everything else you said is pretty much hitting the nail on the head too ^_^

*edit: http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/WVSOnline.jsp

last edited at Aug 22, 2014 9:45AM

ian
MariAli discussion 22 Aug 08:53
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I have never played touhou, but I always liked the fan art of these two so I decided to start reading doujins, and this one was really nice.

that ending though ;_; and I look at is as alice dying and going onto the "next world" to be with marisa.

and if alice really lived for hundreds of years after marisa died... that would be terrible, I don't know how she would put up with that. and from reading others comments it sounds like it wouldn't have been that hard to cheat death :P

ian
Liar discussion 20 Aug 21:03
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

sniff that was sweet :')

ian
Mama Mama discussion 20 Aug 20:40
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

well that was interesting... but it wasn't as depressing as other things I have read

and no, not all yuri is cute and fluffy. and I agree with nezchan, social commentary is great in all forms... and this was social commentary. think about it, analyze it, and take the authors point to heart so that others don't have to put up with the crap that people have had to put up with previously.

if all you read is cute fluffy yuri, you are creating a microcosm of fantasy and blocking off the reality of the situation. manga (and other social commentary media like this) exist to evoke a response from the reader, and hopefully prompt them into action.

It's pretty much the same reasons everywhere.
- Job security
- Money
- Child custody
- Don't want to cause family trouble ( this an extra one )

the pressure on people to conform is enormous, so do you really think that the women in this manga had a choice? no. but amano wrote this to draw your attention to that social pressure, and I love her all the more for taking on the hardball issues. keep them coming ^_^

ian
Image Comments 05 Aug 23:39
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

my apologies if you read that without intending to, I was rushed to post this before I went to work and since the coding is kind of weird on dynasty I did the best I could with what I knew... I am still not entirely sure if that is what you meant but it is better than it was

*edit: and if it was on your watch list you should have stopped after reading the original part where I said don't continue reading if you plan to watch this! >-< lol but seriously, I can't properly convey how the moments I described felt, shiznat is famous for a reason and if you are a yuri fan, then I think you need to find out the "why" for yourself ^_^

last edited at Aug 5, 2014 11:44PM

ian
Image Comments 05 Aug 09:12
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

this is pretty much going to be all encompassing since some here have said they don't play to watch the anime, if you do plan to watch the anime do not read on!!! spoilers to follow

I haven't read the manga, but in the anime shizuru is canon in love (romantically) with natsuki, but natsuki is scared by this and runs away (figuratively and literally). one of the plot devices of this series is that there are girls that are supernatural beings that control spirit beasts, the spirit beast represents your love for your most precious person (whether that love is romantic or familial is purely dependent on the situation). the power and size of your spirit beast represents the power of your love for your most precious person. if your spirit beast is killed so is your most precious person, but you are unharmed.

now, after natsuki runs away from shizuru, shizuru falls into despair and is manipulated by the antagonist (at this point she really isn't herself but a pawn being controlled). in an attempt to stop evil the last good spirit girls rally and natsuki's job is to stop shizuru. during the battle between natsuki and shizuru, natsuki reveals her reborn spirit beast which is much bigger and much more powerful. shizuru thinks the reborn beast represents natsuki's hate for shizuru.
in the final parts of their battle natsuki tricks shizuru (or vice versa, this part is kind of iffy on who tricks who), and they embrace. natsuki tells shizuru that her beast is so powerful because natsuki realized that shizuru is the one she loves (at this point implied in a non-romantic way), at the same time natsuki tells her spirit beast to kill shizuru's spirit beast which kills natsuki's spirit beast as well. shizuru doesn't resist at all, and the beasts die. because each is their own respective precious person, they literally perish in each others arms.

they are later revived from the dead (somehow... ?) and post release (of the anime) there is a small novel released by the creators where natsuki says she "must respond to the feelings that she has given me" (rough quote and translation, not exact words) "she" meaning shizuru and "respond" left completely up to your imagination. since shiznat was so popular post release, I consider this a bone-throw by the creators to the shiznat yuri community

last edited at Aug 5, 2014 11:32PM

ian
Linkage discussion 26 Jul 11:43
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

social commentary, I like it

ian
Bruges discussion 23 Jul 19:29
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I can't believe I made it through that, 100+ pages... though it went by quickly

two questions:
-what really happened to Sheryl?
-what was going on between Shara and Shunack?

...and probably neither of those will ever be answered :(

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

unresolved feelings and plot everywhere, I demand a sequel!! >_<

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

Awesome story... must read for Yuri fans who don't mind that there is practically no sexual theme at all. Which is nice every so often.

+1

ian
Don't Say discussion 23 Jul 15:39
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

I certainly hope so. But then, I'm totally into girl-kisses.

aren't we all XD

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

Yes I view the ending as conclusive and satisfying, but only because the end in the chapter is the beginning of their relationship instead of the precarious sex-driven torment that you describe.

As counterexamples to the "sex-driven torment“ hypothesis, possible happy continuations for all involved:

• mutual romantic feelings never develop, but they enjoy a close-knit and platonic relationship until they die of old age.

• mutual romantic feelings develop and they enjoy a close-knit and nonplatonic relationship until they die of old age.

Regardless of the nature of any possible continuation though, that ending was 100% poly. I don't get why people are calling it a threesome though; I thought that "threesome" just referred to one session of 3 people having sex. This is a relationship, not a sex act.

after reading this you really think that mutual romantic feelings could develop between all parties involved? really? because I am not seeing that at all, especially between Mitsumi and Hana

I also don't think it is reasonable to assume that they will all forgo and forget their loves and just settle for friendship. letting go of a love is not that easy, especially when you are in close proximity of the person you love all the time (very especially when another rival is also in close proximity) I could see this possibly happening if they all gained a little distance and were able to move on, but as is (assuming they stay "close") then I see no way for this to happen either... and definitely not "until old age" :P (if the close proximity happens, I would actually consider bitterness a more likely outcome than love fading and being replaced by all encompassing mutual friendship)

since I don't think either of your supposed happy endings would ever come true (as you have described them) then there are only two possible final outcomes (meaning this could be several months or even a year in the making)

the theory I put forward (note: I mentioned the "sex" part as a provocative way of getting my point across, but the same situation applies to simply platonic situations, you don't have to mix in sex to get emotional scarring, obviously) where they are in a relationship but someone somewhere is getting used, there are a lot of possible ways this could turn out so I am not going to list them all, but I think you get what I am saying

other people have mentioned this, but I will repeat it: there is an odd one out. this is a possible outcome with the "we are all just friends" thing. do you really think you will get all 3 of them cooperate as friends on the long term? no, so one of them will make a move, it will either backfire or they will succeed and the third person that isn't involved will end up getting cast aside. or one of them will say I can't deal with this anymore, I am leaving. then that person leaves, moves on, and (likely) the two that are left get closer

though I admit threesome is kind of a bad way to put it, harem doesn't really fit either and as described elsewhere polyamory could refer to a platonic friend relationship so... no better way to put it I guess?

I could see both of your theories happening in another setting where all parties involved are portrayed as being close, but as the relationships are developed in this manga one-shot I really don't see it as a reasonable or logical extrapolation on the original story

I will say that I like the point Nezchan brought up about honesty, that was probably the only thing the ending had going for it

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

well that was a crummy ending, very sad :'(

ian
Don't Say discussion 21 Jul 13:46
Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

its implied they were kissing here?
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dont_say#16
I am not entirely sure, but there was quite a gap between when they fell on the floor and when they were shown to be (pretty much) in each others arms, blushing, and out of breath... and then aki says something like "oh... so that is how you feel" which makes me think that ritsuka settled any doubts

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

while I am not going to judge threesomes where there are mutual feelings.... i will say this:

there were absolutely no mutual feelings whatsoever in this manga. in the end the only thing the resolution did was draw out the pain and suffering of all parties involved. take it a step further and say that each party wanted to go farther with their crush. sex with a random person that you might consider a friend (i say might because there is some doubt in my mind involving hana) while you know you love someone else. so in order to maintain your current situation you sell yourself (not literally, but emotionally) and you get even more hurt. then comes the fact that if this situation can be extrapolated to all couplings in the relationship, your crush is also having meaningless sex, getting emotional damaged and used, by you!!!

now, does anyone still think this is a conclusive, satisfying ending???

last edited at Jul 21, 2014 9:09PM