Forum › Posts by KamaBlackbird

KamaBlackbird
Locked out of the chat 17 Jan 03:00
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I honestly couldn't figure out what the procedure is for situations like these, so I'm just going to post here.
I haven't been able to join the IRC chat for weeks, I think my IP got banned or something. Could someone help me with this?

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

Euoplocephalus-chan best girl.

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

Where can I read the spoilers?

I don't think there's any spoilers because Cool is drawing the comic as we speak, but there was an extra on his Pixiv where Yata accidentally gropes Momi in her sleep and she interprets it as trying to initiate sex. Whether that describes as "slutty" or not, I'm not sure.

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

One for six people? Oh no. Maybe they should move to Mayohiga.

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I read the post on Cool's Pixiv page and I found out Youko has a Kansai accent. They never bother adapting those, do they.

Unlike Japanese, English accents are expressed by phonetics rather than morphology so it's not that easy to write out in text format without totally butchering a word. Plus I'm not American and haven't had much exposure so I have no idea how to write out a southern accent which is often used as a substitute for kansai. I think I can write Australian though because it's my neighbouring country, but I think that would be weird in itself XD

tl;dr- I leave the dialects because I can't adapt them

I made another post after that one that expands on that if you would like to read it.
That aside, thank you for all your work.

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I think it's that it's hard to localize something like that without it sounding really unnatural. I've seen scanlations where they substitute a Southern American accent for Kansai-ben and while I appreciate the effort, it also makes reading it kind of feel off. It's a sort of no-win situation, really.

I think that can work if they don't use too many culture-specific idioms (stuff like "more X than taters in Idaho"), which are the uneducated person's idea of an accent. They did it that way on Danbooru with the "Hang In There, Kogasa-san" report manga to translate the Kansai accent of Mizuki's "Yamame" friend, and it worked pretty well IMO.

Also, Youko's sexual preference is best described as "all of creation". She does have a fondness of Yata though.

last edited at Dec 7, 2015 5:15AM

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I read the post on Cool's Pixiv page and I found out Youko has a Kansai accent. They never bother adapting those, do they.

(Incidentally, Momi uses a kind of barebones speech pattern that comes off as quiet and curt. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh would use it too.)

last edited at Nov 25, 2015 1:22PM

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

Anko-san is back. Everything is beautiful now.

KamaBlackbird
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

The younger sister (Mii, Mitsumi and Top eye) are all pretty awesome.

Seriously remind of 3 x 3 eyes through

There's also the protagonist of an Osamu Tezuka series, who displayed a different, more aggressive personality when his third eye was open. (The series is Mittsume ga Tooru, if you're curious.)

Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

Tooru was a maid ♫
I mean... she was a dragon maid ♫
Or maybe she was just a dragon... ♫

KamaBlackbird
Bird Cafe! discussion 08 Jun 04:45
Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

Can we talk for a moment about the bird pile at page 15? I fainted from the cute there.