Forum › Posts by Rankarana

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

i don't actually have a lot to add in here but i think Nevri's making some pretty cognisant and solid points. ultimately i am always a fan of localisation-focused TLs but there's definitely ups and downs to it, and honestly I actually adapt how 'far' I go with making it 'natural' - so to speak - depending from series to series. (for example, Still Sick I keep grammar patterns and flow probably closer to the JP, just because it fits the style of the series and its message more)

as a translator I do definitely get a little bitter at people with no actual knowledge of japanese past what they picked up in anime and jp 101 in uni saying 'uhhhh you RUINED THE MEANING' because they've likely never actually interacted with lived/spoken Japanese, either in media or IRL, but I think concerns over how well a work is conveyed in English is a natural thing to have! I take the 'it should read like it's your first language' stance, but.... it's not like all works written by English first-language people are slangy or accent-laden or etc.

point is, translation is wild.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

This gives me "After Hours" vibes with the sudden hook up, super comfy chemistry, and cheating. I love "After Hours" so I have a feeling I'll like this too. Just gotta see how it all plays out.

Wait, there's cheating in After Hours?

Wish I had known that before I bought the first three volumes...

Oops i think i misremembered another series. I double checked and didn't see cheating. I'll edit my original comment lol.

AH does technically have cheating, but the literal point is 'things are going bad enough with Emi's boyfriend that she's only staying together with him because she'd be homeless otherwise (and then Kei gives her a way out)' so

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Sitting here really hoping rapparu finishes the Just Like This Until the World Ends anime and does not die in Amsterdam.

is rapparu in amsterdam......... amazing

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

What will be the update schedule for this manga to be translated? Hopefully this series updates quite quick and daily like Hino-san no Baka since this series has, what I heard, 8 volumes now?! I'm glad this updated recently or else I would have never stumbled across such an intriguing, sweet series!

while i get your positive intent please look at the page count and amount of text per page in this series before expecting daily updates

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

And you won't be alone, scanlator-san. I'll be right there to help you.

Rika-chan... ♡ ♡ ♡

rika is the ONLY straight ally (but ngl after what happens in a couple of chapters i want her and usshi to........ kiss.......)

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 25 Apr 04:20
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Shimizu says the penultimate bubble, and Maekawa the last one. "What was that..." and "it f-felt good" seem like two parts of the same sentence. Though the last bubble sounds odd to me either way.

Shimizu asks the 'what was that', maekawa is like 'uhhh good? oops'

I think the "be my first" line is ambiguous on purpose, so we can only guess right now. It's possible she hasn't liked any of the guys she's dated, but she may have kissed a guy before, so this is not necessarily her first kiss.

I think "my first" means "the first person I might be able to fall for". Other guess is "my first gay kiss" or "my first good kiss", though I could only imagine that as a subconscious motive, since so far we're lead to think that she doesn't know that she's not straight. Same reason why I don't think she means "first girlfriend", at least consciously.

nah she's literally just making fun of yuri manga cliches

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 19 Apr 15:05
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Wait, she has borderline personality disorder? Has that been established?

Well, originally she said メンタル弱い (lit. mental weakness). I am not sure if it means the same as borderline personality disorder. Maybe it's just an interpretation.

Shimizu is hardly a trained psychiatric professional so that's obviously in the colloquial sense - not that Maekawa didn't check off quite a few of the symptoms mind you, on a quick look at the description. Wouldn't call that an unreasonable localisation.

Yeah, actually, this was changed in QC to 'random depressive episodes', but I think i must have accidentally uploaded the pre-QC page! I'll need to fix that.

(I don't think the BPD line is TOO off, but it's a bit more harsh than just being unstable, which is what Shimizu says in the Japanese (in an admittedly pretty rude way.))

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

i find it so funny that in like, the literal oneshot about how gender and sexuality is a big fuck and everyone should do what they want, it's STILL childhood friends.

definitely interested in seeing what this author does going forward, esp if they take these strong themes and art and apply them to more diverse settings

Uh, weird scanlator credits at the start there.

yeah i... really don't know what was up there. it's weird, since it's otherwise a pretty sensitive and genuine TL?

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 17 Jan 07:09
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

yeah i actually thought it was a way older phrase but apparently not? i'll do a v2 to change it bc i dont want to make a fucking got reference if thats actually the source lmao

Well it gets the point across, so what's the harm where it came from?

mostly bc its shimizu who says all the dumb twitter/fandom lingo stuff! so it'd be kind of OOC for maekawa to say something that's like, specifically fandom linked, when all she means to say is 'you're so innocent lol'

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 16 Jan 19:47
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

You sweet summer child is that GOT reference :) ?

Added by the translator yes. This translation pulls in all sorts of western references and is somewhat localized.

And with that it loses a full half of its standing in my eyes. Shoehorning nonexistent references and whatnot is one of the many marks of a shitty translator.

i'm pretty sure that the phrase is older than game of thrones, tho any recent popularity may well be because of it.

yeah i actually thought it was a way older phrase but apparently not? i'll do a v2 to change it bc i dont want to make a fucking got reference if thats actually the source lmao

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

i think all of you, including the people i agree with, are forgetting that this manga isn't a 'prequel' or anything. it was a small-run limited interest yuri self-published doujinshi, that all of you only read bc the western yuri sphere is small and it got translated, that then got picked up as a pilot proof of concept by one of the most popular manga apps in japan to be expanded into a full series where tmfly can write whatever the fuck she wants instead of fitting an entire idea into a small comic that she was paying herself to print.

the primary jp audience for this series haven't read the original doujin, and aren't exposed to a million comments arguing about it every time a chapter drops. its a new thing for them

it's like saying 'fuck this writer for expanding a short story they wrote in high school into a book series!!' like... uh yeah? thats what first drafts/pilots/proofs of concepts are

(and tmfly already did a couple of direct sequels to the original doujin, so check those out if you're so inclined instead of just whining.)

last edited at Dec 14, 2018 11:26AM

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 10 Dec 15:53
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

... Did the Japanese raw actually use the terms "canon" and "headcanon", or are these the closest English translations to whatever Japanese terms that were actually used? Just curious, that's all.

the word for canon can be multiple things - normally 公式 or 原作 ('official' or 'original work' respectively) - while the word generally used for 'headcanon' in jp is 妄想 (originally 'delusion'). shimizu uses all these terms liberally, and they're literally direct translations (but yeah, they have japanese words for them)

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Would've been perfect without the smoking. Still really excellent aside that. Thanks Akiba.

unfortunately theres gonna be a LOT of shots of beniko smoking, constantly, throughout the series

but also unfortunately i find that hot so rip

Rankarana Uploader
Image Comments 03 Nov 19:00
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014
Dq0zx0su4aaleyz-orig%20(1)

sanamizu!! sanamizu!!! sanamizu!!!!!

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 02 Nov 05:12
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I thought Maekawa was really air-headed and open-minded, but that last page put the entire chapter into a whole different light. I bet 10(figurative) bucks that she is completely aware and pretending to seem "air-headed" on purpose, and that she simply wants to affectionately tease Shimizu and get closer to her. Maekawa seems like a really confident, unfaltering type of person who doesn't get flustered. At least not visibly.

Edit: If Maekawa actually is that air-headed, or rather carefree, then so be it. However, I still feel like she lied about going to the wrong hall. If a ticket is required, then it's likely one won't be getting in at all with the wrong ticket. I'm not sure what it's like in Japan, but the first time I went to a convention there were people at all the entrances and exits to make sure no one snuck in. Maekawa definitely knows more and is more aware than she lets on.

a good amount of larger japanese doujin events (comiket, comic city, tokyo fes i think) don't have ticketing; also, a lot of smaller ones just allow walk-in after around 2PM because either they run out of catalogues (that's what you use as a ticket in a lot of events) or they've already covered their costs

There's enough visual cues (and one line of dialogue later on in the series) to assume it's probably Comic City Haru she was at, so yeah, likely just plausibly free entry, and it's Tokyo Big Sight so you could definitely enter the wrong hall there. (she could have been at a Sunrise/Sunshine Creation tho... which would make less sense so let's ignore that.)

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 31 Oct 06:52
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Ahh, it sure makes me sad how much less popular yuri is compared to yaoi. I really don’t get why people like yaoi so much

bc women are the primary creators of fanworks and romance manga, and a majority of women are straight! its pretty logical, esp when you consider a lot of BL is smut/places a lot heavier emphasis on fairly detailed sex fairly early on

(not to get too discourse-heavy but Still Sick gets kinda meta with some of its commentary on manga and sexuality later so its worth mentioning)

Rankarana Uploader
Image Comments 07 Oct 18:13
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014
71044209_en

the pic is cute but im losing my mind over the sheer skill of the editing!!! dang cantaloupe!!

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

ABO

I'd honestly love to know precisely how knowledge of this made its way to her (and Takemiya).

It's had a bit of popularity with BL communities in Japan (tho much less than in America), so I assume it comes from there.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

W-O-W.
It's the first time I read something by this author, Mikanuji. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. It's like these two chapters pressed all my right buttons and had me tickled pink. I feel like I'm in love with Minami now -- and I would be crazy jealous of Iori if I didn't know I could never be as cute and adorbz as she is, leaving me with no choice but to give up and wish these two girls happiness. Sigh.

Is everything by Mikanuji this good?

mikanuji used to be a gigantic brain genius - and still can be! hence this series! - but now mostly draws, i shit you not, twincest ABO impreg doujinshi. its a real shame

her imas stuff and Now Loading! are both cute tho!

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

the art is super cute... i love the personality and feel!!

i feel part 3 could have been made a bit more accessible by generalising it a bit? changing it from a specific brand to like, mami says 'lozangeles' instead of 'lozenges' or something? it carries the theme of it being a long, weird, easily confusable word. (the first comic is just a hell nightmare to translate even vaguely accurately so i def get keeping it the way it is.)

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

excellent syuko tl here. v good content

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I was thinking "no way ranka didn't translate this" the whole way, but they did the editing at least

not even that! i only did the qc! toeto is a better editor than i will ever be lmao

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

mishiro_was_right.ppt presented by komaeda syuko

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

perf localisation keep up the strong work xx

Rankarana Uploader
LOVE&G.EYE discussion 15 Jun 08:47
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

ugh this is great.... some wonderfully hamsome yuugis and i love yuuparu when parsee is less tsun and more just pained...