Forum › Posts by TB

joined Jan 21, 2015

I personally read the Faking It recaps on Autostraddle; I am kind of curious as to how much more messy it will become, but not enough to actually watch the trainwreck myself. All their back-and-forth on Amy's sexuality in interviews and onscreen really isn't helping IMO.

Just remembered another lesbian TV show, Exes and Ohs. I don't think it's been mentioned here before. It's short (two seasons, 13 episodes in total) and I only have vague recollections of the first season but I think I enjoyed it. If I'm remembering it right it was meant to be more on the comedy side. I really don't think it was very high on the lesbian melodrama scale, in any case, or I would've checked out very quickly.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I always recommend people not support Glee, because shit like this is anything but rare.

They also stole Greg Laswell's stripped-down cover of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" (and used it in the most insulting context possible).

I've never actually seen Glee, and I don't plan on watching anytime soon. I do, however, enjoy the fanfic so. Is that weird?

No, that was the right decision. You get to read great stories without having to suffer through the nonsense happening in the actual show. I'd give the same advice (ignore canon, read fic) to people who are considering watching Once Upon a Time for Swan Queen.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I really started Glee now, I hope it's not too bad. I think I'm gonna be fine as long as Sue stays.

Oh, this should be good. Opinions vary on when exactly it goes from silly but enjoyable to unwatchable garbage. I'm curious to see what you'll think. And since you're marathoning it, you might see dancing teenagers every time you close your eyes.

Good luck!

joined Jan 21, 2015

POI 4x22 was intense lol.

I loved how that scene with Martine took the tired "male hero watches helplessly as the villain tortures, rapes and/or kills a woman he cares about" trope and completely turned it on its head. And it's been widely speculated (and semi-confirmed by Amy Acker on Twitter) that Shaw taught Root how to fight. Not that she wasn't a badass before, but she's even scarier now with that added skill.

Fusco was shown rushing towards Elias after he was shot, so maybe all is not lost. They could be keeping their options open. But I love how this show makes you care about characters who are clearly terrible people. I was sad when Scarface died.

Yeah, but she isn't dead is she? (:

I just hope she doesn't come back brainwashed. I don't think they would go there and undo two seasons of character development, but I'm so used to TV writers (and network execs) fucking everything up that I still fear for the worst sometimes.

joined Jan 21, 2015

If you have some glee fanfic suggestions please share.

There are a few popular fic suggestions here and here for both Brittany/Santana (Brittana, the canon pairing) and Rachel/Quinn (Faberry, one of the fan-favorite pairings).

I just saw that Britana (that the name?) was a pretty popular ship in general so I didn't think they were treated like shit. That kinda sucks. You got like, any examples?

Many, but here's one. The two girls break up when one of them graduates and fears she might cheat. The other girl (who is bi) gets hit on by a dude. She tells him they can't be together because she's afraid that a mob of angry lesbians from the Internet will kick his ass (out-of-nowhere fourth wall breaking). Then she hooks up with the guy anyway because "love is love" and people need to learn to respect that or some shit. Probably one of the biggest middle fingers to a fanbase I've ever seen. The girls do get back together later on, for what it's worth.

But what am I supposed to watch instead? :/

Well, you could watch the first three seasons of Warehouse 13, if you're into scifi-ish stuff.
I don't think you've mentioned watching Sense8, it sounds interesting and it has a lesbian couple. Lost Girl is pretty good for girl-on-girl action (but not so much for the plot from what I've heard?).
Sorry, I'm basically throwing stuff at you here, I just really want to keep you from watching Glee lol. But I guess if you can stomach bad TV, it would be an... interesting experience. Keep us updated if you do watch it!

joined Jan 21, 2015

So when does the yuri in Glee start? Don't judge me.

Season 2, but seriously man, don't do this to yourself. Pick a pairing and read AU fics instead. There's an incredible amount of talent in the fandom for such a shitty show.
Believe me when I say it's not worth it. The lesbian couple is treated like shit by the writing and if you find yourself shipping the two main girls together (the classic outcast vs. cheerleader dynamic), you're in for entire seasons' worth of asshole male love interests and badly written love triangles.

joined Jan 21, 2015

If john had died, i think that would have killed its ratings as well. X-files pulled a stunt like this when Duchuvny quit the show. Making Scully and that new guy run around trying to find him and the show tanked.

Yeah, killing off John would've been a bold move, but they would've lost like half their audience at once. People love their handsome white men.

That's nice. I imagine though it will be a mention or like it was in the last few episode where she showed up, just one shot of her BUT if they indeed can't get the show to go on to more seasons than the 5th one, I imagine she'll be more prominent there, and as the writers like to say "Everyone is going to die in the end, that's just the kind of characters they are. They can't get a happy ending."

I thought it would be something like her showing up in the very last episode or something, but apparently they want Shaw to be in a few episodes. The kids were born a few months ago and sure, an entire season is out of the question, but I'm pretty confident it won't be just a cameo or a flashback. At least they can't kill off everyone, they have to keep a few doors open in case they do manage to get another season. (Fingers crossed.)

Downer endings are fine, people are such wimps foreal.

Nothing wrong with "everyone dies" endings per se! It's just that when you follow a bunch of likable characters for years and they all die and the bad guys win, it kind of leaves you hollow inside and flopping on your side like a dying fish.

joined Jan 21, 2015

There is an article out there somewhere that asked the writer of life is strange if max and chloe are a thing. I cant remember what was said though.

TVtropes says that the subtext is intentional, but doesn't link to any interview. I really wish tropers would quote their sources more often. Sometimes I'm too lazy to go check myself...

As for POI, the flirting and tsundere-shaw in 4x11 was really cute.
I laughed at the simplified simulation, "obvious comeon", "annoyed reponse". lol Or the part where Fusco kisses Root, and is like: what, it's just a simulation. xD

The simplified simulation was an instant classic. I love that even such an absurd scene makes complete sense in context. In a way, the whole episode was about the Machine writing fanfic.

Sarah Shahi (Shaw) is taking a leave of absence due to pregnancy (she's gonna have twins) and she won't be on the show for 2 years.

It was confirmed at Comic-Con that Sarah Shahi will be back for season 5. No details about how many episodes or what Shaw's storyline will be yet. S5 will probably be the last unless they can get Netflix to pick up the show, so they don't have much time to write a satisfying conclusion. I'm terrified, and the teaser they showed at Comic Con didn't help.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Bhumi

Anyone else playing Life is Strange? It's pretty freakin' gay :)

Yeah, Max and especially Chloe have been pinging my gaydar since the first episode. I think it won't go further than subtext, but I don't think it'll go the bait and switch route either. The guy that could be Max's love interest is actually a massive creep and possibly more dangerous than just your typical awkward high school boy with a crush. I don't think anything's gonna happen there.

The game is definitely worth picking up during the next Steam sale if you're into mystery games, in any case.

Kitsune Spirit

Just watched poi 4x11, the ending made me cry even though I knew it was going to end like that. That kiss though... :3

Definitely the worst and best ep.

Glad you... enjoyed that episode haha. As painful as it is, this storyline turned Root and Shaw's fun, flirty banter-filled relationship into an epic love story, the kind that's usually reserved for straight couples. I'm still amazed that they actually went there.

Be warned that the back half of the season isn't as strong as 3b and 4a, but it was kind of unavoidable when they set the bar so high. There still are several amazing episodes though. And the finale has a spot-on choice of licensed music.
Check out this fanvid for more feels (spoilers up to 4x11).

The wait for season 5 fills me with excitement and dread at the same time.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Edit: finished season 3, nearly broke something when Shaw went after Root in the Samaritan building lol.

Don't read too much into it, she only did it for the mission! She rode all the way to New Jersey on a bicycle in the middle of a blackout for the mission! The mission, damn it!!

joined Jan 21, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama

I didn't find anywhere in TV Tropes saying it's only yuri or not, I think it have some het routes, but the main routes seen to be all yuri at least

I might be wrong, but I think I recall one route where the Duchess marries the "prince". But it's not written as a love story, more like "Oh, you're here? Okay, let's get married, that's what I came here for I guess." You don't have to play it to get the true ending, but without a guide you might stumble upon it by accident.

Alien

I've started watching Person of Interest partially on this thread's recommendation

If my incoherent rambling helped even one person who was on the fence about watching, good :D
Don't expect much in the way of romance though. POI doesn't really do romance, even the het pairings are mostly teased and implied except in flashbacks. You actually could argue that Root/Shaw is the present-time romantic relationship that gets the most focus. Which is great because you can appreciate the platonic male/female relationships without worrying about the writers shoving an obligatory romance down your throat. Reese and Shaw have an amazing siblings-like relationship.

Sorry for gushing about this show again. If I didn't restrain myself I'd just take over the entire thread.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Personally, I think that's too much information, TB. I don't mind the idea of tagging the bad ends, but I don't think it's really necessary to be so specific on the list (tho we do get specific on the discussion itself).

Yeah, that might have been too much. Just thought I'd try !

• Lost and Delirious, one half of the couple kills herself. The movie as a whole is love it or hate it from the comments I've seen

You forgot to add that the other half does end with a man.

I'd forgotten about that part, heh. One woman dead, the other paired off with a man really is the perfect lesbian romance.

Of course, lesbians are only lost and delirious aren't they? As soon as they're found and coherent, they realise that penis.

But penises are the solution to every problem a woman might have !

joined Jan 21, 2015

whatwhat

I love you my like minded friend.

Hey thanks ! Fingers crossed they don't fuck up season 5.

OriginalGengar, if you're adding bad end warnings (I'm all for it personally), I'd like to add a few details for the following movies and shows from your list, if it helps :
- Chicago Fire, the lesbian is killed off for seemingly no valid reason
- Los Hombres de Paco, the lesbian storyline has an infamously traumatic bad end, and by that I mean one of them is shot and bleeds to death at their wedding
- The OC, IIRC the storyline is a "girl briefly experiments with a girl who turns out to be a psycho lesbian, girl runs back into ex-boyfriend's arms" plot
- Lip Service was cancelled after two seasons and ends in a weird place. It's not a bad end, but it's bittersweet and not exactly satisfying
- Lost and Delirious, one half of the couple kills herself. The movie as a whole is love it or hate it from the comments I've seen
- Mulholland Drive is really weird and surreal and you basically need to read an analysis to understand what happened, but I am sure that the two women don't end up together
- also can I suggest a warning not to watch the sequels to Skins UK ? Because bad end, again, and the creators were apparently huge assholes about it too.

For a moment I considered suggesting to add warnings for shows/movies where a character is introduced as a lesbian only to sleep/fall in love with a man (as opposed to bisexual women who have both male and female love interests), because that trope pisses me off to no end and pops up all the time, but if you did we'd be here a while. But I did want to mention how much I hate it, just because.

joined Jan 21, 2015

The general opinion regarding the 5th and final season is that it doesn't exist, so whatever you do, don't watch that.

Does the subtext get destroyed or does it just suck in general?

Both ! Apparently even the actors were pissed with the way it ended.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I also believe the series Warehouse 13 is said to have a lesbian couple, but I haven't watched it (yet).

No, it's subtext only. Fun show though. My suggestion would be to watch the first 3 seasons, then the first episode of season 4 and pretend that everything resolved itself nicely. The general opinion regarding the 5th and final season is that it doesn't exist, so whatever you do, don't watch that.

Another movie suggestion would be Saving Face, a funny and sweet romantic comedy.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Shaw x Root 4 evur.

Yes. I can't recommend Person of Interest enough, and I'm going to ramble about it for a second if you don't mind.

The f/f romance isn't even the best thing about it (the characters first meet in late season 2, and the relationship development is slow, subtle and mostly subtext... like all the romance on this show). It's part crime procedural, part sci-fi/cyberpunk, with the sci-fi part slowly becoming more important and basically taking over sometime during season 3. It starts out slow though. Season 1 is pure procedural.

The characters are all complex, badass and morally ambiguous and the writing is fantastic. If it helps, some people have pointed out that you could sum it up as Christopher Nolan's brother making his own version of Batman.

Also worth noting is that it's the first time I've seen the cast and crew of a non-LGBT show being so supportive of their same-sex pairing. Given the show's tone and body count, there's a fair chance that both women will be dead by the time it ends, but the writing team loves them so much that (and I never thought I'd be able to write this) I genuinely believe they'll try to avoid killing off their queer women.

TB
Anime season 24 Apr 14:00
joined Jan 21, 2015

Girls in uniform yaaay http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-24/long-riders-cycling-manga-gets-anime/.87469 Looks like the manga is doing pretty good and I foresee lot of CGI for those bicycles

This is great news! I have the first 3 volumes of the manga and it isn't groundbreaking, but it's cute. If the adaptation is any good we can expect some nice scenery shots.
Also, the main characters are all female and there's no romance whatsoever, so this could be great for yuri shipping. I don't remember seeing any subtext but it's not like this has stopped us before.

TB
Anime season 11 Apr 15:20
joined Jan 21, 2015

From what I’ve gathered via Google Translate and the opinion of somebody that ran the post through some different translators, the post seems to say that there isn’t much yuri in the source and most of it was added in the anime.

Damn. And the first episode was so promising, too. Thanks for researching this, now we know not to get too excited.
Looks like Kiniro Mosaic will be our main source of high school girls who are really gay for each other for this season. At least there won't be any surprises there.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Arata Iri draws amazing reaction shots. The over-the-top cartoonish faces are a major reason why I enjoy this so much.

By the way, the author has another series running in Mebae that also features a very intense protagonist and tons of visual comedy. I hope it will catch a group's attention, it looks very promising. Plus, it's Mebae, so... that magazine certainly doesn't have any editors telling the mangaka to tone down the yuri content, so with any luck that series will have some of the "hard yuri" Arata couldn't fit into Tovarisch.

TB
Baggata Way discussion 21 Jan 10:28
joined Jan 21, 2015

Sorry for barging in... I figured this would be as good a time as any, with StubbornOne's latest release being uploaded here.

I've been reading this for a few years now and as it turns out, not having anyone to fangirl/fanboy with over an unpopular series turns you into a mildly obsessive fan. So I'm just going to dump some info on the yuri content here in case anyone is interested or hesitant to start reading, and then I'll go back to lurking.

Compared to other female-centric sports manga that last more than 3 volumes, I'd say that Baggataway has less yuri subtext than Saki (if you consider Saki to be a sports manga in a way), but more than... almost everything else? Seriously, yuri is criminally underrepresented in sports stories.
I'm using spoiler tags, but I will only mention the relationships between the characters, nothing related to the games or the characters' background.

First off, a clarification: chapter 11 introduced a bunch of male characters, and for a while I was worried this meant that some of the main girls would be paired off and that Baggataway would turn out to be yet another sports/manga with as much focus on romance as sports, but I never once got the feeling that they were intended to be love interests for any of the girls. One of them has a crush on one of the girls, but so far he has managed to talk to her exactly once, and he promptly got a nosebleed and ran away, and then another character basically laughed in his face and told him "unrequited love is hard". The journalist guys are mostly there for exposition about lacrosse rules and comic relief. Of course, there's always the possibility that the last chapter will introduce romance with zero foreshadowing, but at this point it seems highly unlikely.

As for the yuri subtext, the main character gets a rival in volume 5, but their interactions make them seem more like best friends or soulmates than rivals. They even use the red string of fate metaphor. The rival is half-Australian and her gaijin upbringing is used as an excuse for her to be very affectionate with Sora (hugs, kiss on the cheek). She basically becomes Sora's reason to get better and win.

Danchou is definitely a baby lesbian. Her crush on the captain can be seen from space, but later on she also gets a crush on Jinnoharu, the captain's rival, and their interactions are great. It's most likely one-sided though.

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I'm fairly sure that Chikushi's captain, Shihatsu, and her best friend, Ichizaki, are a couple. They're the closest thing to a couple in a series with no romance, in any case. They have a few very sweet scenes together, including a flashback to the time when they started calling each other by their first names that's full of romantic overtones and symbolism. They worry about each other, they occasionally hold hands and at one point they share a hug that didn't seem platonic in the slightest.

If you like shipping rivals, Shihatsu also has chemistry with Jinnoharu. Their teams play each other again later on and stuff happens, but to sum up they're both very important to each other. Some of Jinnoharu's teammates actually assumed that they were a couple. In fact, the second Chikushi vs. Kokura Central game can be seen as the expression of a love triangle. I swear it seemed like Ichizaki and Jinnoharu were fighting over Shihatsu at times. Jinnoharu has subtext with her best friend Sakai as well (some of their teammates also thought that they were together).

There's a few more pairings that technically don't really have any subtext but look good together, and the absence (for the most part) of love interests means you can let your imagination roam free. With such a large cast, there's a lot of different pairing types: childhood friends, ojou-sama and servant, teammates who work together reluctantly, senpai and kouhai... The list goes on.

There you go. I'm not sure whether any of this was actually useful to anyone, so as an apology for probably wasting your time, have some (badly translated and edited) Setamii cuteness.
And some Kanna x Shiho yuri service.
These are omake pages that some stores sell with the tankoubon. There are two more that are sort of yuri, but I haven't been able to track them down yet.

If you want more spoilers (plot, characters, specific pairings), just ask.

I hope the translations do get there eventually... If they don't, I've just been a complete asshole and teased stuff that will never get translated. I'm grateful that four volumes have been scanlated, in any case, and I hope that there's more to come.

TL;DR: Strong subtext, several pairings to choose from, no het romance involving any of the main characters as of volume 11. It's also a pretty good sports manga if you like the genre.