Forum › Posts by esn

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

This showed up on the random chapter for me today, so I read it over again. This is probably my all-time favorite. Very cute. Also, it's the only yuri manga I've read that portrays scissoring accurately - difficult and impossible to achieve!

The way the relationship progresses is beautiful and the dialogue definitely gives a warm, fluffy feeling.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Good job!

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Kind of cute, kind of slightly deformed. (And I'm not talking about the wing).

last edited at Apr 14, 2013 5:15PM

esn
Prunus Girl discussion 14 Apr 15:53
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'm glad there's an epilogue. I kind of want to see a little more of them. I started reading this long before it was on dynasty, so it's a super plus that it's now on the Dynasty reader (which is superior in terms of speed to most online readers I've used).

Definitely beats most forms of the gender bender manga, since in the end it really doesn't matter what gender Aikawa is. He's adorable either way.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Wonderful. I read Sei's Pillow Book in one of my college courses, so this was extra hilarious.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Sasameki Koto has a lot more angst. I think I like both equally, though. It's angstier, but it's got more humor in it. Pretty sweet super-shoujo ending.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

My opinion is pretty much inline with Cryssoberyl. Would like to read more stories with that dynamic.

The title is somewhat awkward though, I don't know how anything in particular could be "less" than a boyfriend, lol. The heteronormative connotations...not something I particularly care to see in a yuri manga.

To me it just sounds like the title was too literally translated.

I figured that it was just an odd translation as well. If there was a heteronormative connotation it would be something like "more than a friend (that is a girl), less than a boyfriend".

esn
Kurokon discussion 12 Apr 21:36
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Railgun easily stands alone from Index. Especially since it doesn't add magic, religion, and all the other things on top of science. I gives me something fantastical without overloading it too much.

Anyway, I watched a minute or two of the raw. Not too much since I didn't want to spoil anything before I could actually watch it subbed. I'm so into Kuroko's voice, I have no idea why. As soon as Kuroko came on I was so excited. She's definitely my favorite character.

The anime does a lot more for Saten-Uiharu than the manga. I'm up to current translations on the manga and their relationship is hardly seen. I like the liberties that the anime takes with it. especially since the manga and light novels act more as side stories to the "main" plot of Index, while Railgun the anime can stand on its own easily.

esn
Kurokon discussion 12 Apr 18:06
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

First episode of the second season premiered. The raw is up online, should be translated in a few days. Looks great.

esn
Prism discussion 12 Apr 14:45
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is it really absolutely certain that it was traced? The article says that he admitted using it for reference. I know some artists that are so good at copying something that it looks like it was traced. When looking at the fact that it's a photograph(s) that he's accused of tracing, and the similarities between them, I could fully believe that he is just exceptional at copying/sketching a work. My grandmother is a painter, and I have seen her do copies of a work to show me style, and she is also rather remarkable at making a copy.

If he wasn't technically laying paper over it and tracing it, is it still reprehensible? I can imagine really liking a human model's pose and drawing it - that is essentially what we do with models. The only issue would be copying someone's work - but is it really the same to draw something from a photograph as it is to reprint the photograph as your own?

I'm not saying that it wasn't wrong to publish something clearly taking from another person's work, without payment due to the model. But I don't think it's so clear-cut as "He traced it, none of his work is legitimate". I suggest that he may not have traced it, and if he is exceptional at copying he really ought to have used a physical model to avoid this situation. I think the ability to make a replica is an ability in its own right, and I can't even do that.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

It's not like lesbians hate cocks anyway. We just don't find them sexually pleasing. The existence of cocks is not troublesome. If Dynasty wants to keep their cocks, I'm not going to go around forcibly castrating anyone.

TL;DR Dynasty is now yaoi only.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 1:41AM

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Dynasty releases have cocks all over them. Easy to distinguish.
wait what? o.O somethign's wrong, yuri and cocks now??

Castration complex. Penis envy.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for the review of the print translation. I debated asking my girlfriend to get that for me. Is it worth it overall? I own the copies of Hayate X Blade from Seven Seas, and I have to say that the online translations usually sound better, plus their print is way behind the translations that were already available online.

I have heard in various places that Girl Friends is semi-autobiographical. This may explain why it seems pretty real.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Has anyone else read the raws for the Shinobu extra? I can't wait for that to be translated. Looks adorable.

Where can I get it? :D

http://safe.yuriproject.net/res/5924.html

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I would never be able to make an argument to get it completely removed from the reader, though I did have the impression when I first started frequenting Dynasty scans a few years ago that it was yuri only.

However, I do think it would be fair to be able to blacklist tags on an account, or to be able to use a search feature that can find specific tags (multiple if possible) while excluding others. That would be ideal.

Most of my issues were solved with the recently released page only seeming to show releases that excluded much of the discussed content, while recently added showed a different list. I'm not sure if this is just because of the distinction between released and added, but it was much easier to avoid content that I did not want to see that way.

As for me, I have no issue with het or hermaphrodite material on the reader. My issue was only with content clearly depicting children. I don't like that, yuri or otherwise. But if I could exclude NSFW Loli material, that would solve all my problems.

I don't care what other people enjoy. I just don't like accidentally stumbling on things that disgust me. The clearer tagging system has helped with that immensely, and being able to blacklist tags will allow all readers to continue reading what they want to read, and to use the search function more effectively. As Dynasty is acquiring more and more material, it's getting harder to find things. An updated search engine will make finding works easier in the future as well.

I think it would be interesting to take a poll and see how many readers come to Dynasty just for yuri, and how many are interested in other things.

esn
First Love discussion 10 Apr 02:16
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I was blinded by all that fringe, I failed to notice Yuri. Nice catch.

esn
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Just in time to distract me from finals. Way to contribute to the ruin of my college career!

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Has anyone else read the raws for the Shinobu extra? I can't wait for that to be translated. Looks adorable.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

doesn't this http://puu.sh/2wO57 panel make it sound like they just had hate sex?

I knew something was missing from the house-visit chapter.

esn
Citrus discussion 07 Apr 02:59
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Given the position of the teacher's hand on the chick's head on pages 19-20, I'm pretty sure that's a forced kiss. That's just a douche move.

esn
Yuri Game discussion 05 Apr 00:22
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Considering this is Chi-Ran, I'm surprised there isn't any sex - or even kissing.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

To nitpick, or rather, the opposite of nitpicking by unification, that definition is essentially the same as the simplified one that I stated. "Repeating patterns" are equivalent to the "general rule". Canon follows a similar definition for most forms of art, though I specifically study English literature. Though certainly giving the staff and piano, it probably is a direct reference to musical canon, but I'd argue its relevance to canon in literature and art given that manga is a combination of the two. That is, the manga that is art and literature is depicting musical canon as well as that "general rule." If we were to create a diagram of story structure, I'd put it as circular ripples in a pool, where each form of expression, including social context and culture (that is, the canon of falling in love with teachers), is a reflection over time of the theme.

I did my thesis on Faulkner. Who would have guessed?

I appreciate that Nanao is breaking out of what seems to be canon, and is able to have a successful relationship.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

"A general rule, fundamental principle, aphorism, or axiom governing the systematic or scientific treatment of a subject; e.g. canons of descent or inheritance; a logical, grammatical, or metrical canon; canons of criticism, taste, art, etc." - OED.

Basically, the general rule of First Love, given the title. We talk about canonical literature, music, texts, etc. These are all a sort of "general rule" of things that should be read for criticism and history.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Even without any yuri going on, this is very much worth a read. Also, tsundere tag. The art and story are great, and I look forward to future updates, as it seems to still be in progress. Apparently the mangaka normally does yaoi. Not surprised by the pretty boy art.

esn
Roundabout discussion 02 Apr 14:17
Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I can also attest that it is a widely used phrase.