Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V2 + FAQ

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Old topic is full of pages no one will bother reading (because lol 21+ pages) so time for a new one plus answers to commonly requested stuff.

First off, before you request stuff to upload please keep in mind that these groups do not wish to be on here (this is also on the upload request form):
Doujin-Moe
Hotcakes
Midnight Scans
Starry Heaven
Yurikai

What has been implemented:

• Pairing tags - http://dynasty-scans.com/pairings and also visible on anthologies, series, and chapter pages. Should be cleaned up from future searches to reduce clutter.
  • Stuff that begins with "The" will not be put under the T section.
  • Finding other posts made by a user.
  • Public reading list linking in forum profiles.
  • Adding something from "To Read" to "Read" will remove it from the former.
  • Uses AJAX to add items to Reading Lists. You will no longer lose your place when adding/removing mid read through a chapter.
  • Spoiler marking in the forums. Use == directly before and after (no spaces) the spoiler phrase. An example may be found four posts below this one. Do note that empty line breaks in the middle of the spoiler will cause it to not function.
  • Subscribed tag notifications with email and RSS. If you have a tag on your subscribed reading list, you will be notified when a chapter is uploaded with that tag.
  • Total download limit per 24 hours to 8 per IP. This is an attempt to reduce bandwidth usage and to also drive people to the scanlator site. Yes this sucks for you, but reducing future risk to having a free server from GOD is totally better.
  • Option to automatically add stuff on your notify to your "To Read" list. By default it's off.
  • Option to make show all covers of series and whatnot in the directory. Clickable options in the upper-right when on the directory page.
  • Search has been upgraded. Click the advanced button for more search filtering options (not seen in the navbar). Should also be able to search for multiple tags at once.
  • Solo image integration. It's not going to be a booru, but more of a sharing repository of related images to the ships/series.

What is going to be implemented:

• Forum search.
  • Improved read/unread status in reading lists on a per chapter basis (low priority).

What will not be implemented:

• Volume downloads - We're not aiming to be a download site. We currently already push 25 TB a month as it is. Downloads are also currently capped at a max of 3 downloads at once at 300 KB/s to help reduce bandwidth usage over time.
  • Sort authors by surname first. Honestly, there are a lot of authors that are probably swapped to western and a lot the eastern way. It was hard to tell for me in the initial life of the reader and fuck if I knew which way was the "correct" way.
  • Blacklisted tags will not effect what is shown when browsing general directory pages.
  • Donations or ads.
  • Ratings of any sort.
  • Anything that's mangafox only or mangafox bred will not be uploaded.
  • "Less of not yuri!" There's plenty of yuri and our uploaders are constantly keeping on a lookout for more. I do keep a lookout to see if not-yuri is overtaking yuri in any way (I even make charts with it!).

Suggestions Currently on the Table

• Consolidation of recently uploaded series chapters into a single segment (toggleable?) to prevent other recently uploaded chapters from getting shoved out of view.

last edited at Nov 9, 2014 11:48PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I would like to point out that I do in fact upload yuri from time to time.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013
  • Tags for high school/college/adult focused manga. You're all free to suggest tags for stuff that fit in the college/adult categories. Retagging things for high school would probably be too monstrous to handle.

New topic, new chance to say it. Would be great to have some folks suggesting changes for college/adult manga. I'm sure there's some out there that doesn't have the new tagging yet - and I doubt I'll be able to get them all.

Most high school focused stuff is going to be covered by other tags anyways (school girl, school life, lack of other relevant tags), so I'm not too worried about those ones.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

Suggestions Currently on the Table

Hide popular chapters?

What does this mean?

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I forgot to take that off. We were pretty confused by that suggestion in the previous topic as well.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

Ah, I see. I don't know if this is gonna sound ridiculous but, how about getting a notifications center and the ability to tag someone in a post so that they can reply to a post made by a user. Just a sudden thought.

The notifications center can inform a user that someone has mentioned them in a post. (Yeah, basically like fb)

And maybe adding a 'favorite' function on a manga and whenever there's a new chapter released you get notified.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. New chapters are in the homepage anyways

last edited at Aug 9, 2013 12:39AM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Implemented spoilers tags, it can be done with ==someone will die== which will produce someone will die.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

touhou is super lame

Cool.

last edited at Aug 9, 2013 12:56AM

Troid Uploader
Wheels150
Payapaya Scans
joined Jan 28, 2013

Awesome! Nice work.

You thought it was some cute spoiler? Too bad!

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I guess I'll consolidate all feedback I got.
Would be nice to see at least a "No" rather than no answer at all.

Forum:

• Would be nice to have a post on whole set of formatting rules. I only know some of it from quoting staff members and looking at quote structure. Lists, bold or italic , images,code quotes - it's all not explained anywhere.
  • Animated GIFs don't work for avatars. I guess it's fine though.

Upload Requests:

• Please add some message after pressing "Submit request". Right now it looks like simply refreshing page, it can confuse so that you don't know if submission was done or something went wrong.
  • Would be nice if users had some kind of "Upload request history". Would be even nicer if this history showed "accept/decline" status or something.

Browsing/Reading/ETC:

• No reason to have "suggest tag changes" button for authors - should be removed. I have yet to see a single autor with own tags.
  • Same with "suggest tag changes" button for tags. I mean, WHAT. Tags for tags? Why is this even there?
  • Instead, add "Discuss this author" button to create a forum topic that links back to author, same way as "Discuss this series" button works. Right now, I keep seeing discussions about author in topic about their latest series.
  • Add "Add to blacklist" and "Add to whitelist" buttons on tag and doujin pages. Probably same way as "Add to Reading Lists" buttons are on manga pages.
  • Speaking of sorting, would be nice to sort at least by name/date. Right now, when you're on tag's page, groupings are sorted by name, but one-shots by date.
  • Overall, the browsing look is not unified. Author pages have "series" on top, and one-shots on bottom. Doujin pages have "series" on right side and all chapaters on left. Tag and pairing pages have a choice of chapters/series/one-shots. I think it would be better to have Author and Doujin pages look like tag pages with three tabs.

Crazy suggestions you should probably ignore:

• "Characters" list for doujins. Somewhat similar to pairings, but for all characters, not just romantic interactions. Would work for those who are fans of specific character. But it's probably way too much hassle, and some doujins would have crazy long lists.
  • "Discuss this" button for tags.
  • Black/whitelisting scanlators, authors
drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Same with "suggest tag changes" button for tags. I mean, WHAT. Tags for tags? Why is this even there?

Pairing tags need to be tagged with the series they're from, so that'll probably need to stay. Yeah they're pairings instead of tags, but until two days ago they were identical shrug

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Same with "suggest tag changes" button for tags. I mean, WHAT. Tags for tags? Why is this even there?

Pairing tags need to be tagged with the series they're from, so that'll probably need to stay. Yeah they're pairings instead of tags, but until two days ago they were identical shrug

Oh, that makes sense.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Forum

• Google search for a Markdown tutorial. Though adding a short tutorial / link to an offsite one would be useful. If one of the other staff/uploaders want to do that
  • This is intentional.

Upload Requests

• It did this, but I accidentanlly removed the code that displayed those messages and didn't realize it until yesterday. It should show up again.
  • Would be userful, but doesn't really fit with our workflow of upload requests. They get sent to an external site.

Browsing/Reading/ETC

• No reason to remove it. Authors can be tagged with tags, we just haven't yet.
  • You can tag tags and they will display it. Like it could be useful "Lots of sex" tags with NSFW, so someone could easily find all the various NSFW tags.
  • I'll consider it
  • Probably not. Would add clutter for function that is not frequently interacted with.
  • Its on my To Do list.
  • Don't agree. What looks good for tag, which can have many many items, won't look good for an Author which will have relatively few items. I do want to update some of these pages to look better, but it will never be to uniform view.

Crazy suggestions you should probably ignore

• Probably not. I think it would be a lot of work to tag everything, add a lot of clutter to display all those tags, for only a marginal benefit.
  • I'll consider it
  • I'll consider it

last edited at Aug 9, 2013 10:56AM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Ah, I see. I don't know if this is gonna sound ridiculous but, how about getting a notifications center and the ability to tag someone in a post so that they can reply to a post made by a user. Just a sudden thought.

The notifications center can inform a user that someone has mentioned them in a post. (Yeah, basically like fb)

And maybe adding a 'favorite' function on a manga and whenever there's a new chapter released you get notified.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. New chapters are in the homepage anyways

This is something I am interested in, but it is a fairly large feature. Idea would be to be able to subscribe to series, authors, scanlators, etc you would get a notification when a new chapter is posted under them. Notifications could be viewed on site, an RSS feed, or send an email out. Could do forum topic (or even @ replies) support for it as well.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Thanks! I see, Markdown. A link or at least a notice would definitely be useful for new users

last edited at Aug 9, 2013 11:20AM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I'd like to point out that Douman Seiman is tagged with WTF_am_I_reading.

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Hm, another suggestion.
When a new (but already long) series is uploaded, how about "collapsing" it in "recently uploaded" into a single entry? Maybe as user setting?
When several series are uploaded like that at once, some other single chapters can get lost between pages of same names.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Good idea, going under my consideration list.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I implemented chapter notifications. There is a new system "subscribed" reading list. When a new chapter is uploaded, if it contains any tags (include Authors, Series, etc) that are on your subscribed reading list, it will send out a notification. An email with new notifications will be sent out every hour (unless turned off in your profile), and they are also available in a RSS feed.

last edited at Aug 10, 2013 2:29PM

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

I implemented chapter notifications. There is a new system "subscribed" reading list.

Awesome :D

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

"Discuss this" button for tags.

Implemented "discuss this" for all directory items.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Nice!

Is there a way to suggest tags that don't exist yet? Right now, I can only select from the list.
I'm mostly talking about pairings here - when there's a doujin with some crack pairing that doesn't exist anywhere else, can't suggest it as new tag.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Looking at recent Sakura no Kiwa chapter upload...
I can't remember exactly, but it's not first time that same thing by different scanlator is uploaded, creating doubles.
I wonder if it would be possible to somehow support different versions for chapters? Not sure how that could work though.

last edited at Aug 12, 2013 12:07PM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Is there a way to suggest tags that don't exist yet? Right now, I can only select from the list.
I'm mostly talking about pairings here - when there's a doujin with some crack pairing that doesn't exist anywhere else, can't suggest it as new tag.

You can't atm. Want to make it so you can, but haven't decided on how exactly to implement it.

last edited at Aug 13, 2013 4:34PM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Looking at recent Sakura no Kiwa chapter upload...
I can't remember exactly, but it's not first time that same thing by different scanlator is uploaded, creating doubles.
I wonder if it would be possible to somehow support different versions for chapters? Not sure how that could work though.

For how rarely this happens, its not worth the complexity of having multiple versions of one chapter. For now our policy is to pick the better one, and remove the other one.

To reply you must either login or sign up.