Forum › Dark skin discussion

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Question for the site: What do you think should be done regarding this tag on fanwork? At the moment it's used in a somewhat random manner, as evidenced by the images it's tagged with.

The main reason it hasn't been straight forwardly tagged onto every release that could is the same reason Animal Ears hasn't: a possible overuse of the tag on works involving famous characters. Characters like Korra, Pharah (and to a signficantly lesser degree Symmetra), Anthy from Utena etc. It's not really on the same scale of "Thing's that could be tagged with it" however, so it might not be a problem. What do you think? Should any certain characters not be tagged for worry of overfilling the tag? Had some feedback from IRC, but I'm looking for more here too.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I don't know about tagging any certain characters, but I think more variety would be nice. Checking the tag out for the first time, it seems that most of it comes from the same artist: Author: 23.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

So it's kind of weird where while it didn't tag any popular characters with dark skin to avoid overuse, it still feels overused on this one artist considering that they all seem to feature the same character.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

That's a point: Is there need to worry much about the fanart crowding the tag when 23 is a large part of the tagged works already.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I'm sadder more worried about the underuse of this tag.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Question for the site: What do you think should be done regarding this tag on fanwork? At the moment it's used in a somewhat random manner, as evidenced by the images it's tagged with.

It's supposed to be the role of moderators / operators to determine that .-.
I don't see what's wrong with the dark skin tag itself since it's used on manga or pictures having one or more dark-skinned characters. As for the author 23, since all of their works involve dark-skinned characters, the author could be tagged instead of the pics if it's judged redundant.

And for famous character such as Pharah, I don't see the point of adding the tag in question since the pairing tags are enough. It's like tagging every PMMM doujin with the mahou shojo one : it's dumb.

last edited at Nov 30, 2016 6:48AM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Making exceptions for one or two characters was a possibility that was raised too.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

drpepperfan posted:

That's a point: Is there need to worry much about the fanart crowding the tag when 23 is a large part of the tagged works already.

I can kinda get it, but then not everyone has to know which characters has what feature by default, so they might miss some stuff cos they only searched with tags. For example, if I want to find pictures with dark skin character but the artist 23 work isn't tagged with it, then how I'm supposed to find it, if I don't know all of their work features dark skin characters hence it doesn't have tag?

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Since we have pairing tags anyways for the really popular characters, maybe just tag some of the works and trust the user to just use the pairing tag from then on if they want to continue looking for more works involving that character? This could also still work for original characters such as the ones with 23; just trust them to use artist: 23 for future searches.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

A click on Yuri gives over 600 pages of recommendations, but you worry about overuse of Dark skin? OK...

I really just want to show my support for the Dark skin tag. In the discussion for Sentimental Beach Side some jerk repeatedly implied that anyone who wants to read a story with dark skinned characters is some kind of fetishizing racist. Well, I'm a Native Person who likes Native characters & others who resemble us. If that person reads this & hates me that's their problem. I've said what I needed to say.

joined Aug 30, 2022

I do wish more stories were created featuring Black characters though.

I'd settle for one honestly

To reply you must either login or sign up.