Forum › Posts by DBR

DBR
Still Sick discussion 20 Jul 10:19
joined Nov 2, 2015

This series is definitely one of the best yuri manga ever created. It's just so...mature. The genuine maturity from someone who has a great insight of real life adults, not the pretentious or dramatic imagination about adults that fiction tend to cook up. I know I'm being super vague with my praises here, but it's just hard putting a finger on this one. It's how the dialogues of the characters feel like something people actually say to each other in real life, the positive and negative way they handled problems are totally different to how adolescents would react, the way they neither take feelings too lightly nor too dramatic, all the while not being boring at all.

joined Nov 2, 2015

Wow, the art in this one is cute. Even if I kinda dislike how the heads keep being drawn slanted.

The premise feels like it's got inspiration from Bloom Into You, i.e. a young girl who didn't understand the concept of "love" stroke the sudden fancy of a senpai, got confessed by senpai really early in the story, and went on a journey understanding love. Really excited to see this author's take on it.

I suppose except for the "love at first sight", the rest of the word "love" used in the story is actually "suki", hence why the protagonist could happy-go-lucky accepted senpai's "I love you too" without linking it to a romantic meaning at first. I appreciated that misunderstanding didn't last long at all like most dumb manga, and senpai properly communicated her romantic intentions. And also a best friend character who immediately helped the protagonist get to the point: do you want to hug and kiss her?

joined Nov 2, 2015

As an Asian, I can say the two people in the previous page who was talking about "silly whiteys who don't understand Asians" are stupid (assuming they weren't joking).

First of all, "aishiteru" and "suki" are relatively new expressions in Japanese. Back in Souseki's day, they don't have them. They do have "suki" back then but it was used more in the sense of "I like that candy" rather than "I have romantic love for you". Couples simply do not verbally express their love, otherwise they're seen as crude, unintelligent. "Tsuki ga kirei desu ne" was the accepted way of saying "I love you" because it's indirect, poetic and vague enough for Japanese sensibility back then. Nowadays with globalization, Japanese are becoming more and more open, thus the wider usage of suki in romantic setting as well as the appearance of aishiteru.

Secondly, we Asians shout stuff before chopping a wooden block has nothing to do with hurt or pain. It's a war cry. Do you hipsters not have war cry in your culture? The thing you shout while running towards your enemy to cut them up? It elevates adrenaline level, make us braver and more focused. The Chinese-origin explanation of "directing the chi" was the ancient understanding of this adrenaline manipulation technique. Outside of raising morale and improving focus, secondary benefits include scaring off the enemies (if at war), drawing attention of the audiences (if performing), relieving pain (due to high adrenaline).

DBR
Roundabout discussion 04 Jul 22:25
joined Nov 2, 2015

Every year I re-read this oneshot and still love it like the first time. Let make a few things clear:

Chiharu cheated on Asami in high school. 1) She didn't remember Asami's name. Full name. A few years might be enough to forget your high school crushes, but not someone you used to DATE, especially not when you have both their surname and first name in front of you. That only happens if you were going through girl after girl. 2) Chiharu swiftly brushed off Asami's hurt by saying 'does it matter?' Of course it mattered, or else she wouldn't have gone as far as quitting job and moving house just to revenge. Also nobody would say that vague blame-shifting sentence right after denying the cheating ("You believed the rumour that I cheated?" - normal people would reconfirm that "I did not cheat on you", only cheaters would go "Does it matter even if I cheated?")

Chiharu might have changed now. Like Asami's observation, Chiharu wasn't somebody who would stick to things, so the fact that she now chased after Asami through a rainy night might signify that she's serious about this relationship now. However, frankly speaking, just sitting outside in the rain in one night is not a long enough challenge for an adult playgirl. If Chiharu had been persistent for a month then I'd be more convinced. Asami gave in too quickly.

I sympathize with Asami's revenge. Do I think it's silly? Yes. But only because it's harming HER more than it harmed Chiharu. Come on, quitting jobs and moving houses is a financial hit for nothing, because 2 months of dating isn't enough to make Chiharu heartbreak that much. But while I oppose the method, I support Asami's desire to revenge, that's something players and cheaters deserve. Asami was scared off of relationships for 7 years after that stunt, so Chiharu had better paid for it. Asami should have done something smarter like becoming a close friend then interfering with Chiharu's career or love life.

Asami had never stopped loving Chiharu. That's why she chose such a self-defeating method to revenge, she simply couldn't hurt Chiharu other than planning a small heartbreak. That's why a week after moving, she still felt depressed - Asami was experiencing the heartbreak that was supposed to be for Chiharu. So I don't blame her for getting back to Chiharu even amidst all the doubts. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy what you really desire.

Lastly, the aim of this story is to make the readers just as uneasy as Asami is towards Chiharu. Was Chiharu a player or was she innocent? Is Chiharu faithful now or still a womanizer with advanced skills? It did very well in showing us how life sometimes is that complicated, you can't always know whether something is a lie or not, and you can't always discard "suspicious people" if they're the only one you're attracted to. That is an amazing idea of a story.

last edited at Jul 4, 2019 10:26PM

joined Nov 2, 2015

It's horrible that such a lovely story get this horrible attitude in the comment section. So let me straighten this out:

None of the characters did anything wrong, especially not Ritsu. You cannot judge her actions without taking the difficulty of homosexuality into consideration. Ritsu was at a horrifying disadvantage compared to Shun for being a girl in love with a girl, thus she could not confess to Ichika before Shun. It took a tremendous amount of courage to finally decide to tell the truth, and a galatic amount of luck to have Ichika loving her back too. In the real world, the most likely scenario is that the lesbian will keep her mouth shut and watch her crush get snatched away, or confess and get rejected.

Shun did the right thing by encouraging Ritsu to confess, because he wanted to fight for love fair and square, instead of taking advantage of the whole heterosexual privilege (which enabled him to comfortably confessed to Ichika in the first place). He also realized Ichika does not like him that much, so trying too hard to keep her would be a dick thing to do. Do a thought experiment: what if Shun had been a girl and Ritsu been a boy? Do you think Shun would have been able to date Ichika first? No. Shun would then be the one who painfully watches Ritsu and Ichika going out without daring to do anything about it, just like Ritsu. Shun understands that, so he wanted to treat Ritsu fairly, because that's how he would like Ritsu to treat him had the situation been reversed.

Ichika also did nothing wrong. She loved Ritsu but had no idea about homosexuality, so she just innocently go out with Shun because he's a close friend AND a boy, while staying best friends with Ritsu. She didn't like kissing Shun. Only after Ritsu kissed her, the possibility of romantic love with a girl opened to Ichika. And it took her a little time to find the courage to accept homosexuality, break up with Shun, date Ritsu.

Nobody has to feel bad for Shun, because this is the luckiest outcome he has got. Ichika didn't love him, so their breakup is inevitable in the future whether Ichika learned about homosexuality or not (and Ichika will go on dating other boys trying to find the romantic feelings that she'd never be able to get), or Shun would have married Ichika without ever being loved by her. Both scenarios are much, much more miserable. You can't have what don't belong to you. Shun understood that, so he let Ichika go, preserve the friendship of the 3 instead of being a childish fucker who would whine and get nasty about for not getting what he wanted. It's a fair fight and he lost, get over it.

joined Nov 2, 2015

Like Akirio said above, these insecurities are very normal in a relationship, even in a het one ("Omg my darling is so outta my league it's almost a guarantee he/she will leave me"). This is a happy oneshot because Shuuko at the end showed that she's a fighter who is willing to keep her girl even with those insecurities haunting her. I respect people like that a lot, because there's a balance between thoughtfulness and determination. Much better than the pathetic doormat who back off because they aren't strong enough to weather a hardship, and then give a pretentious "I'm only thinking for your future!" to excuse their cowardice.

Whether your partner should be with you or not is her choice, not yours. Your duty is to live sincerely, don't be a dick if she choose to walk off, but don't be a matyr if she wants to stay either.

joined Nov 2, 2015

Yet another dumb whining about "double standards." Have any of you children realized that that feeling doesn't materialize in a vacuum? The reason people trust women more with minors is because it's a fact that men sexually assault children WAY MORE. 95% of all sexual predators are men. The existence of female rapists and female pedophiles do not erase that fact. That's why human logically form deeper mistrust and hatred towards males in this matter.

Every parent I have talked to, be it the mom or dad, be it the child is a daughter or a son, always want their babysitter to be females. No exception. That's called survival instinct based on real life fact, not double standard.

And even when a child is sexually taken advantage of by a woman, guess what? It usually leaves less physical damage and emotional damage to the child, that's why people typically don't get as angry as when a male does it. Go to youtube and search for the documentary report on men raping almost every male chidren on the street in Afganistan, or western tourists sex tourism in Cambodia. Listen to the sustain body damage to the children due to penetration. Now search for health report on victims of female pedophiles (spoiler: they're almost 100% healthy body-wise). There had never been a female lolicon who killed her victims, but it's pretty common with male lolicon. Look up all the gritty cases where a Belgium pedophile kidnapped and burried alive 2 little girls and left 2 others starve to death after raping them all, or the Japanese pedophile who kidnapped an elementary school girl and left her corpse naked in a sewage after raping her, or the father in Poland who locked up his daughter and raped her to death.

TL;DR: appropriate response based on fact is not double standards. People don't react aggressively towards female lolicons because they're far smaller in number and much less vile than male perpetrators. "If Touko had been a guy"? If Touko had been a guy, he would have raped Akari and threaten her to keep silent instead of being this cute and sweet - and that realistic knowledge is exactly why people are extremely allergic towards an adult male.

last edited at Nov 20, 2018 1:46AM

joined Nov 2, 2015

Really creative and interesting concept. It's rare to see an idea this exciting in romance in general, much less yuri. It's great because it successfully crafted challenging moral dilemmas that has no easy answers: can the Doctor fuck one of the personalities even though the others see her as a mother? Isn't it better for the girl to only have 1 personality instead of being a freak for all her life? Is it really a crime to kill off your alters? Can the alters truly be read as different people or it's essentially just 1 person who is going through a battle of the will to be who "she" wants to be, much like a person trying to kill off their inner cowardice because they want to be a brave hero? So on and so forth, so many questions.

The execution needs a lot of work though. Over-the-top reaction faces and F1-league pacing cheapen a serious work. It'd be much nicer if this chapter was one tankoubon instead; allowing the readers to familiarize and getting attached to the girls before killing them off for higher emotional impact, let the disappearance mystery linger longer to invite curiosity, let us see if the Doctor was really subconsciously in love with Hajime, etc. Honestly, I think this author is a genius in coming up with fascinating yuri premises, but she needs to stop drawing and just collaborate with a talented artist (like Nakatani, who is a genius at both storytelling/panelling and coming up with psychological plots).

DBR
joined Nov 2, 2015

^ except for the fact that Nettaigyo was promoted as girlship by its editor while Futaribeya was promoted as yuri by its creator and publisher?

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with the yuri fanbase. You're more in denial than actual homophobes. Maybe years of suppression and internalized homophobia had taken a toll and make you hate yourselves.

joined Nov 2, 2015

It's actually a valid concern to voice out even if the manga seems very good and promising, like this one. Especially since this first chapter has already shown two botched confession attempts as humorous moments. It could very well be full of that for the next how many chapters.
I share that same concern but I don't comment because of the inevitable "its just starting out" counterpoint that could be made. Besides his post was somewhat civil, no need to degrade him just because you have a different opinion on the outcome.

There's a difference between "I can already tell this shit is gonna draaaag" and "I hope this won't drag". The former is jumping to conclusions, the latter is voicing a concern. The one you responded to was very civil and witty in their legitimate criticism, it's you who jumped into their face to play white knight for a whiny kid who dragged others' spirits down with his negativity. Remember, ASSumption makes you an ass.

If anyone is so concerned, at least go read the Arata Iri's other works to get a sense of her storytelling style (spoilers: she's not Saburouta). Don't be surprised when people tell you off if you don't do your homeworks before attempting to have an "opinion."

joined Nov 2, 2015

That Anzu knows how to handle her woman.

DBR
Mousou Envy discussion 08 Sep 22:56
joined Nov 2, 2015

This is the best kind of Naoko Kodama story, where both of the leads are kinda awful people so that you don't have to feel bad for either of them.

What is awful about MC? Randomly insult a character like that is awful.

It wasn't rape, because senpai had the full autonomy to leave. It wasn't taking advantage of a vulnerable person, because senpai intentionally didn't want to find work and just wanted to mooch off people. If anything, the request for sex was a fair AND admirable decision. Admirable because MC wasn't a doormat that let people step all over her without doing anything about it, but she wasn't nasty about it either. Truly awful people would have pretended to be nice and selfless on the surface then talked behind the other's back in contempt.

joined Nov 2, 2015

So first, he's making Yuu visibly uncomfortable. Second, he's hitting on the best friend of the girl he's supposed to be pursuing, and third, he's hitting on Yuu, who Emi is possessive about.

If you ask me, he deserved it for the first two, even though the third one is probably her main reason. The irony is he's almost certainly going to assume it's over the second one.

This. I'm glad to see at least one sensible person around here.

I don't typically browse Dynasty discussions, but I'm surprised how many people misread such a simple manga. Emi's actions uptil now have been completely justifiable. There's nothing about her that is "crazy" or is in the wrong, at least not yet. The douchebag deserved a punch in the face for trying to catch fishes with both hands; you don't get to blame his victim for being pissed off. Also Emi was brave enough to tell Yuu that it's her she's obsessed about, what more do people want? She's not a bad person for not realizing it's romantic love. It's honestly irritating to see people have no qualm about insulting her for no reasons.

joined Nov 2, 2015

I was skeptical with chapter 1, but chapter 2 has so many well-placed subversions that stoked my interest. This is not yet again a generic lesbian who does stupid things like chickening out from confession or dating the guys her crush likes. This is a loveable idiot who has no concept of homosexuality and is struggling along as best as she could, seducing boys away from her crush but never actually dated them. Her crush is also a surprise: a sharp idiot - sharp enough to realize that it's her who Emi was obsessed about, but dumb enough to not know it's romantic.

Both women are very likable as a result. Their obliviousness is funny rather than frustrating, yet still being treated seriously instead of being brushed away in a comedy. Neither of them are retarded enough to commit overly dramatic actions like many others have jumped to conclusions above (at least not yet). I'm very happy at the moment.

I hope the translation team will fix chapter 1 page 10. https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_hate_things_like_love_ch01#10 . I'm pretty sure what Emi is saying is "Though what I'm saying is a huge lie." Instead of "So what I'm saying is a huge lie." I was so confused by the flow of the story, but it turned out to be a mistranslation of a crucial line. Thank you for bringing everyone another (for now) well written drama after My Unrequited Love!

DBR
Image Comments 05 Feb 08:13
joined Nov 2, 2015
Enchanted

@Midnightgunner You're allowed to dislike futa but it's dumb to whine about futa in an unrelated yuri picture. It just makes you sound bitchy. Stay relevant next time.

DBR
Image Comments 05 Feb 08:08
joined Nov 2, 2015
Dnz9kyyu8aasa1y-orig

@REDflame23 Your incessant whining on every dom Diana pic is annoying. Anyway, TV Diana is dom, that's why such a depiction is more prominent in fanarts and fanfics. Just look at ep 19 when dapper Diana in her riding outfit defending Akko from her aunt, that's classic shoujo cliche right there. Read more romance instead of insisting the quiet straight-laced archetype must mean submissive while the genki must mean dominant. Diana is literally the tall-dark-handsome male lead in every shoujo where the energetic and hardworking feMC saves him from himself.

DBR
Image Comments 05 Feb 08:00
joined Nov 2, 2015
Nicewaistcoat

How the heck does wearing jeans translate to being butch, jesus christ. Did y'all screaming "butch" when Diana showed up in her riding pants outfit ep 19?

DBR
Image Comments 05 Feb 07:51
joined Nov 2, 2015
61873102_p1

Diana huffed in a "There, finally" way after successfully typing up a struggling Akko, and is beginning to undress herself for the sex (note the hand loosening the collar). It's appaling how many don't understand such a simple image.

DBR
Image Comments 05 Feb 07:38
joined Nov 2, 2015
Dp5jrm0vaaaetvq-orig

I identify as Akko and I don't wanna switch.

DBR
xxx discussion 07 Sep 10:13
joined Nov 2, 2015

Assuming this doujin was scanlated by ACK, he also did a light Diakko SFW doujin called "Stand By Me" (https://exhentai.org/g/1107742/c5faef23b7/). It'd be nice if someone can upload that one here.

joined Nov 2, 2015

The author always spell her name as Yorita Miyuki (her websites URLs are always "yorimiyu"). Can the staff please change her name? At least make it the main one, even though I think Kida was just a mispelling of the kanji.

DBR
Image Comments 01 Jan 12:08
joined Nov 2, 2015
C0drx0lucaacn4o

^ I thought that is very obvious, as soon as they became friends.

DBR
Image Comments 01 Jan 12:00
joined Nov 2, 2015

The artist says this is the two female Rock Rangers in Gamma.

joined Nov 2, 2015

This artist is hilariously dumb. Mana is not some regular loser. She wants to be and is going to be Japan's Prime Minister, so if Alice's father is even a remotely competent businessman, marrying his daughter off to Mana is actually the best possible course of action from a business standpoint.

I like angst, but not forced drama shit that makes no sense in the setting.

DBR
LOVE/DEATH discussion 19 Dec 04:11
joined Nov 2, 2015

Kuzushiro has a netorare oneshot called Your Fault, but it isn't listed when I click on the Kuzushiro author page. Anyone knows what's up?