Forum › Posts by TomWard

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Is there a spoiler thread for this manhwa?

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

The main couple is lacking in something but I can't pinpoint it. Its feels like they skip the whole getting to know each other, the confusion and hesitation of falling in love phase and already move on as the happy ending couple. Out of all the yuri couples I've read. Sungji and Sumin had it easy and its one of the reason why I can't get myself to love them as a couple. I can't get the "feels" in them.

True true. I sort of feel like, as sad as it is, that Sumin is just with Sungji because she's tired of the years and years of stress from her relationship with Seju. It seems like it was emotionally and psychologically taxing to be near her, and once Sumin found an out she took it.
Now that things have come to a turning point with Seju and her family, it'll be interesting to see what Sumin does since she still has such a close connection with her.
I always felt, even with the cheating, that the way the conversations were translated between Sumin and Seju were always more personal and intimate than the ones between Sumin and Sungji.
I guess what I really mean is that I have no clue what's gonna happen. Who'll end up together (if anyone), who'll be the one doing the damage and who'll be the one receiving it? Ah. I really can't tell.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Alright. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much beyond the "is ff gonna continue" stage and mostly just hoping that samba gets healthy again, and I'm glad to hear that she's doing okay.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

So, does anyone have any news about ssamba? I've been re-re-re-re-re-reading ff and it makes me so sad when I get to the "end". I'm still really concerned for them and I would very much like to hear that they're still writing, or at least alive.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

This manga is absolutely crazy.

last edited at Feb 19, 2017 2:38AM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

I dont understand why people are complaining about how the author should write this way, or the author should write that, or explore this, or whatever. I personally think it's a well-written story, and I dont think Sungji or any other character fell flat at all. In fact, this is heaps better than MOST yuri manga's I've read. Really. [...]
In the end, all i want to say is that, i think the story's well-written, and I cannot wait for it to unfold, because I'm liking it so far.

Well, I realize I might be off in thinking this manga is not written well (although a very strong argument could be made). I am relying on the experience I have in critiquing English, American (and a little French) literature. The criteria by which the merits of works by people such as Kazuo Ishiguro, Toni Morrison, F. S.Fitzgerald, Plath, or Steinbeck might not accurately map to Korean comics in some people's opinions since they are of a different medium.

However, I think that all literature shares the reasons for creation... to tell a story, represent a culture (or tradition) or convey an emotion. I also think it is fair to judge comics by their impact, originality, resonance, degree to which they mark social class or culture, etc...

Anyway, I wanted to bring something kinda new to the table (lol maybe it's not, I haven't read all 200 pages of this thing). As MacySan said, "this is getting repetitive".
So instead of focusing on just the plot, it would be interesting to hear what other people think about this manhwa as a piece of literature, particularly as a work that is culturally significant to a group that has been underrepresented in American, English (and probably Korean) literature to-date.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 1:01AM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Am I the only one who was disappointed to find another chapter (ch 70) that was basically just sex? I know they spoke a little, but I couldn't help feel like, "ah, not another one." Of course, then I was like, "Well, I'm gonna read it anyway 'cause I'm way too invested," but for real...
I just wish this story was something that its not -- and I know I shouldn't expect more complex characters, but somehow I always end up hoping.
p.s. I think I know exactly what kind of character development Seungji needs!
She needs to have been a competitive dancer (ballet) and needs to have had a girl friend who was an almost girlfriend, and then she needs to have gotten into an accident/gotten injured and quit dancing!
I think we need another one of these plot lines.

last edited at Jan 18, 2017 11:29PM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

kami-sama:

a lot of readers who finds the latest chapters unsatisfying is because of the inconsistency and flow of the story. how can this be a healing yuri manhwa when everything is just resolved with sex?

I agree that the pacing and plot leave something to be desired. As others have said, the introduction of Seungji's childhood friend was clumsy. Also, is this classified as a "healing" story?? That seems a bit off the mark. Even though this manhwa can't really be called "healing" I don't think it's completely fair to say that sex can't heal and resolve relationships. It's just not a popular thing to depict in media since it makes it hard to draw out the drama.

Seju and Sumin hasn't resolved anything. they haven't let their emotions and feelings out yet. both of them, should have admit every single mistakes and bad things they have done to each other and ask forgiveness for it. so, both of them can move on with their life...

Would you really like to see that? I think a scene like that would be seriously out of place. I also think that it wouldn't be as fulfilling as something a little more gritty. A clean end to this current problem would be a little dissapointing.

but then Sungji comes out of nowhere and then Sumin falls in love with Sungji and just forget about Seju all of a sudden. what the F dude? ... what makes Sungji so special among those probably gazillion girls that Sumin had dated before?

(Didn't Seju say 31?) I too ask the question, "Why Seungji?" It's strange that there doesn't seem to be any special reason why Sumin would love her. It's also strange that we are never really given a reason why Seungji would love Sumin.
However, Sumin definetly didn't forget about Seju. That's the problem.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Amanda9708:

To me this is ruined because of the cheating. Of course I want blonde and brunette the main characters to be end game but the cheating makes it too hard. And people want freaking brunette and pink hair to be end game when freaking brunette saw pink hair cheating on her. Fuck cheating. I'm sure there's other plot devices that could of been used but oh well they used exactly what I predicted before paying for all the chapters I did.

I think the cheating going on is much too complicated and important to this story to dismiss. I also don't think either instance of cheating degraded the story. It raises interesting questions seeing Seju cheat on Sumin even though there was commitment there. Same goes for seeing Sumin cheat on Seungji. What does it take to make people who are already in loving relationships cheat? What kind of values must one hold to take someone who cheated back? Do any of the characters presented have the capacity to love without somehow hurting someone else?

If you choose to view it like that the story gets pretty philosophical.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Wow. I think this last chapter was kinda sad. I know it was just sex, but it really seems like the cyclical nature of this story has really defined itself now. It was striking to read every instance of Sumin saying "I love you" only to have Seungji stay silent. There isn't much about this chapter that would suggest that the two have healed their relationship in any way.
I'm also really sympathetic to Seju. She seems like she's had a fairly traumatic upbringing. That kind of rejection and ridicule normally damages a person a lot, and Seju must be really strong (is that the word?) to mask that.
TBH I'm rooting for Sumin and Seungji, but I wouldn't be dissapointed with Sumin and Seju. Just PLEASE don't let it be Seju and Seungji. I'd just rage quit.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

This is kinda how I imagine a Seol-a confession would go. (Sorry for the quality. I drew it kinda fast.)
What am I doing with my life?

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

wdtfs is all about cheating and revenge. I miss ff.

lol. I miss FF too.

WDTFS is good, but it doesn't quite hit the same spot in my heart that FF does. Sometimes I wonder at the storyboarding/plot progression of WDTFS and wonder just how much of it is "lost in translation" because I only understand about 76% of what's happening at any given moment. Some of it is just a little too non sequitur for me to follow as naturally as I did with FF. (Although in my emotionally detached opinion FF may have had a pacing hiccup or two as well)

I also just read the whole of "The Love Doctor" in one sitting, and I have to say, it is good. h3x said that it was the new and better version of FF, I kinda get it. Kinda. It's obviously a personal thing -- they did say that Love Doctor was better "at least for [them]", but my view is that there's something fundamentally different about the feeling that you walk away with after reading these two works.

I think mainly it's two points that embody most of what's different between FF and Love Doctor.

1. They have vastly different endings in mind.
    Here I think that FF was (is?) probably going for some sort of realization and mutual understanding between No-rae and Seol-a. They've been progressing in a sort of mis-matched fashion, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ssamba was planning to wrap it up with the alignment of their understandings of each other's emotional states.
    LD seems to be going for a maturing of their leads. FF is all about becoming more mature, but not like this. LD seems like it wants to put the characters through some real emotional hell and then spit them out stronger.

2. The pacing stresses different ways of telling stories.
    FF is slow. We all definitely know that :) It chooses to tell stories through a bit of inner monologue and a ton of subtle actions. Everything that I love about FF is conveyed through a few words and a glance.
    LD achieved within the first 25-ish chapters what FF couldn't do in 60. This quick pacing emphasizes broad, wide reaching and decisive actions. In this world a character can make a decision and see the outcome by the end of the chapter instead of waiting for half a year to see any repercussions.

Sorry about the wall of text. I haven't posted in a really long time and had some stuff to say I guess. Let me know what you think about this lovely addition to the world of yuri manhwa. How much do you think it was influenced by FF, and how do you think it differs? (The similarities are definitely there. I mean, the cluelessness about romance, the ballet and the accident?! Can these things really be coincidences?)

My thoughts, as always, are with Ssamba, hoping that they recover (even if they don't come back to write).

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 5:03AM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

next chapter will be special/extra/bonus according to Ssamba's blog

Then expect a break from the story ;(

But the chapter after the special is always a good chapter. I think Ssamba is planning on something happened on their "date"

Omg i cant wait for 2 weeks to pass by.

Break from the story? (◎_◎;)

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

The butterfly representing love was one of my interpretations too. But thinking Seola the flower made it more fun lol

Butterfly No-rae is definitely fun to think about. Probably more fun for Seol-a, but... ╮(─▽─)╭

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Ji-hwan: ...There's a butterfly perched on a flower.

Sounds like he was talking about Norae and Seola. Norae is the butterfly and Seola is the flower

ieeheh:

I kinda read it like the butterfly is a symbol for love more than an actual character. It flutters around quickly, never staying in one place for too long, but captivates those who glimpse it.

Ji-hwan recalls his encounter with the preserved butterfly and connects it to his feelings for No-rae. Not that his feelings are dead, but more like he can look back on them in a "museum case" and their beauty is still very much present, but just aren't the same as when they were "alive". (the museum being significant because it is a universal symbol of antiquity)

Under this light, the significance of Ji-hwan saying that "There's a butterfly on a flower" would be that love has decided to present itself on a metaphorical silver plate for Seol-a, and that she should pay attention to it while it's still in front of her, or risk having to see it in a museum case if she waits too long.

Well, that's just my take- what does everyone else think about this?

As always, thanks to halmoni and all those involved with translating/typesetting etc.

last edited at Sep 13, 2015 7:25PM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

whoa really? i dont follow other ff forums or groups besides here in dynasty, but i feel like there is a legion of us

plus all you guys made this forum my only warm fluttery home in wide ocean of the web lol

and to halmoni, may you be blessed with strength always, we at dynasty wont be pushy but we may give a little nudge now and then hehe

thatanon:
Tbh, I really don't know about the size of the FF community. I may have wrongly assumed that it was small because I also assume that shows which focus on lesbian characters garner little attention. While many people follow yuri manga, I wasn't sure how many had caught wind of yuri manhwa. I also know that the topic of homosexuality in Korea isn't hugely prevalent.
If someone has a more accurate idea of how big this community is, please do enlighten us.
You may be entirely right that there is a "legion" of us out there though. But a legion is only like, 1,500 people, so... :)

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Disrespect?

On MY Internet?!

It's more likely than you think.

True. (╥_╥)
I guess I thought that since the entirety of the FF fandom is so small (with the number of people who need translations being even smaller) that people would shy away from doing that kind of thing... evidently not.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

TomWard:

This chapter was so great!
Anyways, Halmoni keeps referencing pushy fans who demand translations "NOW NOW NOW" does anyone know where she's getting this from? Certainly not from Dynasty, so where?

Yo/u/ don't want to know. :3

But yeah, I don't think anything happened this time specifically for this chapter.

But some time ago, in other places, there has been nonsense with people "demanding" things or throwing tantrums when everything is being done for free and completely out of goodwill.

Anonymous:
Thanks for the info!
... although it's a little shocking.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

This chapter was so great!
Anyways, Halmoni keeps referencing pushy fans who demand translations "NOW NOW NOW" does anyone know where she's getting this from? Certainly not from Dynasty, so where?

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

So happy that FF is back! Even though there's not a translation out, it looks like a good chapter!

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

You know, for whatever reason, when I first caught a glimpse of that image, the following thought streaked through my mind.

For a second, I was thinking that this might be a new character in FF, likely because the character is drawn in an FF style. (Well, it is ssamba's art style after all.)

And I thought for a second, "Wait! After the hiatus, are they introducing a random new character love rival between Seol-a and No-rae?!!"

Then I remembered, oh right, this isn't Citrus.

Yeah, when I saw that picture I thought 2 things.
1. Seol-a had cut her hair and gone blonde.
2. I thought, like anon, that there was gonna be a citrus-like frustrating as hell love triangle thank god it's Choa.

last edited at Jul 30, 2015 12:28AM

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Well, I'm sad, but Ssamba definitely deserves a break, if that is indeed why they're doing this. I hope Ssamba will return to FF well rested and inspired to continue creating, and I hope everyone else will wait loyally for Ssamba's return.
Here's to hoping!

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

Is Ssamba taking a break until August?! I'm gonna cry.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

I agree with everyone on the differences in Seol-a's actions / overall demeanor. To me, it kinda echoes the whole "if you treat everyone the same, then you have no one special" idea. Until now, Seol-a never really refused potential love interests if they made themselves clear. On the other side of the coin, she'd put little to no effort into maintaining the relationship, and let it quickly disintegrate. The fact that her behavior towards No-rae is different at all ( regardless of wether it's colder, or kinder, or whatever ) means that Seol-a considers No-rae to be a special case.
( the " "Younger sister" my ass " line was my favorite )

Thanks to Halmoni for the translation, and all who are involved in the other facets of scanlating.
Thanks also to all the people who comment on this forum and keep ideas circulating.

Youtubewatermarksmall
joined Mar 24, 2015

This is basically what I live for on the weekends. The simplistic art manages to perfectly capture the tone of the chapter. As an artist I have immense respect for the skill it takes to properly convey such an array of facial expressions. Thanks to halmoni for the speedy translations [google translate DEFINITELY can not handle colloquial Korean] and thanks to Samba for the great story.