Forum › Posts by Skyrin

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Maybe it's because usually I read only one chapter at a time, but going between these two gave some weird whiplash in how abrupt the transition was. I suppose it is like that more often that not. Still kinda wish we got more out of Wanko.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Canaan doujin? Whats next noir?

I like the way you think. Why not bring on some El cazador de la bruja when we're at it~

All very fine choices!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Ah yes, "one of us" as the saying goes.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

You know, nobody's mentioned it the whole time because it's so obvious . . . but it's really rather interesting and quite bizarre the way this mangaka has reimagined angels with the little wings coming out of their frigging heads plus the main wings down around waist level sticking out the sides instead of the traditional out-the-back-around-shoulder-level gig.

It's more like the renaissance artists reimagined angels into the traditional template you described. There are definitely angels in fiction out there that more harken back to their original, bizarre roots.

Anywho, this story keeps delivering in amazing ways that one would not really expect just from glancing at the title and the art, it is just constantly entertaining and engaging. Back when I originally started reading it I figured it would probably be a gag manga type of deal, but it really not like at all. I have not been in the "oh boy I wonder what will happen next" mode this much in a while it feels like, hehe. You just gotta love these dorks and their antics.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Ah, yes, the "Kiss Him, Not Me" style of weight loss.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

So this dragon turns out is the greatest winglizard for useless lesbians too deep in their tsundere behinds? I mean sure there is the side effect of dragging all your darkest secrets out in the open, but this series is way too cutesy to be dragged down by such details too much.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I was wrong, this is actually pretty good if I imagine a laugh track going off after most lines.

I very much hope something drastic happens though, and we don't end up in some kind of bullshit cycle like mentionned above.

A bullshit cycle is probably the only way to drag it on though, but I suppose this could be a shorter one?

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This place wishes for a poly ending for every manga in existence, but for this one it actually seems to be set up fairly heavily. So I kinda hope they do something different, heh.

Anywho, time to impress mum.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Agh that was a critical hit right in the feels. And OkaKoro kicking me when I'm down.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Idol culture is shit
Sakuma and Wanko are cute

You win some you lose some I guess.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Roommate x rival side couple?

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Since manga characters already look like vtuber avatars, it would be funny if their avatars looked realistic instead.

reminds me of those stories Subaru told about her friends lmao

Same came to mind

And yeah this is also me hehe.

last edited at Sep 27, 2021 9:05AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Such drama queens here over a little watermark.

I agree though that the story is a bit frustrating with all the idol culture trappings, but it was still pretty decent. And the art is indeed great.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

The switch has been flipped.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Wait wait wait. She killed Little My? The Little My from Moomins?? And she used her soul in a terrifying concoction???

That's fucked up.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Gotta love a good, comfy Ohsawa Yayoi work, great job on the translation. Clever title too.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying “whatever.”

Weeell, maybe you simply did not read it as a construction, with its own ethos and logic?

You know what? Fair. Plus you made me chuckle which is probably a good mood to end on, heh.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Then they shouldn't read the story wrong.

Being serious though, you can read any way you want. But if you try to discuss the story and want to persuade other readers, the first method is not the way to go because you're not using the actual manga at hand to make your points. How can someone else respond without a common talking point?

Is that why we are here? To convince others they are wrong? Are comments like "Fuuko is so dope" and "damn I love me some good drama" somehow more persuasive arguments on the other end of this scale that you put readers on?

In fact, when people here argue that the characters feel like realistic teenagers in support of them and the story, they are then also judging from an outside perspective relating to their own experiences as/with teenagers in their life. When others complain that Fuuko feels like a manic pixie dream girl in relation to the other characters, they are then using the internal logic and "ethos" as was said to compare and base that opinion on. Seems to me some of you are trying to forcefully pigeonhole people in an effort to undermine their opinions.

At the end of the day some will like the manga, some will dislike the manga, we all have our reasons and, indeed, backgrounds to feel how we feel no matter how hard we try to separate real world from NTR fantasy land. And that is where we personally speaking seem to be with this story so far; a fairly bog standard trio of characters with the usual setup, just Nanase and Fuuko happen to be women too which does not really make the story that much more interesting. If Nanase was, say, a diligent guy in the student council wanting to keep his image pristine or whatever, while Fuuko was a freespirited playboy with his blonde hair about to expand some horizons for the MC (with a side of blackmail even), it would amount to basically the same thing. Forced? Sure, but then people are here arguing that Nanase's actual reasonings are not that much better.

Now it is of course possible that this story will make some kind of twist or turn and end up somewhere completely different, or at least get there in a different way I suppose. But until then we can only work with what we know, and what we know is just kind of... eh? And if you think this story is super interesting and engaging then all the power to you, have a great time, I can't agree but that's just the way it goes.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Dynasty comments, Why are you like this.

Lol, not so weird when you understand that while some people are inclined to see works objectively (focusing on the characters as a whole), just as much people will see it subjectively (focusing on the theme and emotion).

That’s not the distinction I see, and I certainly wouldn’t call it that difference “objective” and “subjective.”

Some people read stories as if the characters were real people in the readers’ lives, judging which characters are good or bad, likable or not, doing the right thing or the wrong thing in the given situation. The classic mark of this approach are posts which say, “I hate people like [character] who [do this unacceptable thing].” This is basically reading as if the story is a transparent window into a version of our world.

Others read a story as a construction, with its own ethos (usually related to our own to a greater or lesser degree) and its own logic. The characters are seen as functions of the plot, setting, etc. and the main issue is how the creator achieves whatever they’re doing.

I’d even say that many, maybe even most, readers usually unconsciously navigate between these modes of reading, sometimes reacting viscerally to the characters as if they were real, but also seeing how those characters exist in an imagined created storyworld.

But a good chunk of Dynasty readers seem to be committed to that first method of relating to stories, which sometimes comes off as if stories are supposed to be handbooks of proper human behavior and are seen as coming up short when they’re not.

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Fuuko seems to get a lot of love here, but honestly if I met such a borderline unhinged person I would back away slowly ahaha. Also people here bending over backwards finding all the faults in volleyball gf to justify why this is all okay actually I guess. How about the MC just end the current relationship and go bone the creepy stalker, I mean she is bound to do it anyway but the cheating is always so tacked on for dramallama times.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Sure, arbitrary numbers don't matter... in a gag manga maybe, but maybe they do when authors purposefully set their stories within the social framework of our modern world and draw specific attention them. Maybe just let people decide for themselves where they draw the line?

At any rate I don't remember seeing the original work before, but looking through a few chapters, eh I think it is a pass. The art is nice and all but the central conceit is not funny or entertaining enough to carry the whole thing I feel. Or believable, but I would not expect that from something built solely around a gag anyway.

Well I tried to emphasize it was my opinion that I personally think people caring about fictional anime and manga ages is pointless. People can do whatever they want and I'm not telling anyone to think a certain way. I'm simply stating my opinion on something I see people stress over nearly day in anime and manga communities for years, and I think there are far better things to worry about in the world. If people want to spend their time and emotional effort being concerned over the ages of stylized drawings then they can go for it, it simply doesn't make sense to me.

Also yes it's loosely BASED on the "social framework of our modern world" but it's also entirely a fictional stylized manga, where the author can make their own reality and changes to everything and anything within their fictional world.

Okay so we have a slight misunderstanding on what we are talking about here. I was talking about fiction in general when I said "stories within the social framework of our modern world", not this work in particular. I myself think this manga is just a silly gag based story, and said as much. Also I don't think people necessarily stress over it, sometimes a character's supposed age just takes them out of something to not keep reading. No need to be so condescending about it.

Eh, that's a pretty silly stance to take. Just because something is fiction does not mean it can't be based on real world logic. It just depends on the tone and setting of the work.

Most fiction takes liberties and follows a course that doesn't follow real world logic to a certain degree. Yes there can be realistic and grounded series, but people often look for real world logic in fiction when the author never asked them to. In the case of this series it's not trying to be realistic, so I don't think my logic and stance is "silly" as you deem it. If I were trying to say this with a different series that is intentionally going for realistic real world drama, then maybe. Even still it's ultimately going to spice things up with certain fictional elements, and even pacing in fiction is often not realistic because it's needs to follow a certain course in order to keep the audience invested.

And again, I think it is silly to say that you should not try to find logic in fiction IN GENERAL, not in this story in particular. Like if you posit that there is never need for any logic in anything then every work of fiction might as well be a farce.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Sure, arbitrary numbers don't matter... in a gag manga maybe, but maybe they do when authors purposefully set their stories within the social framework of our modern world and draw specific attention them. Maybe just let people decide for themselves where they draw the line?

At any rate I don't remember seeing the original work before, but looking through a few chapters, eh I think it is a pass. The art is nice and all but the central conceit is not funny or entertaining enough to carry the whole thing I feel. Or believable, but I would not expect that from something built solely around a gag anyway.

Dont seek for logic in manga

Or real world logic in fiction in general. It's fiction for a reason haha

Eh, that's a pretty silly stance to take. Just because something is fiction does not mean it can't be based on real world logic. It just depends on the tone and setting of the work.

last edited at Aug 12, 2021 6:02PM

Skyrin
Birthday discussion 11 Aug 04:13
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Isn't a prequel by definition something that was released later than the work it chronologically precedes in a narrative sense? That is, something does not become a prequel just because it gains a sequel, it just is the original.

That little pet peeve aside, linking connected works together makes a lot of sense and it would indeed be handy to have it somewhere directly on the the page of the manga in question. Usually someone in the comments links it either way though, and it is not too hard to dig through the artist's page most of the time. Just one of those small conveniences.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

In all this, people seem to have missed an extremely point revealed in the last page of this chapter

-> Sakuma has a deep voice

My mind can now only imagine her with Keiko Kubota's singing voice.

Who?

Not sure if just a lame joke or if you genuinely do not know and can't be bothered to make a google search, but in either case, sacrilege.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

One of us