Forum › Posts by Skyrin

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Of course Fuuko gives Yuni exactly what she wants, she is a creepy stalker who did her homework.

I think Fuuko has her own story we didn't get to know yet. It's a bit quick to frame her only as a creepy stalker. Japanese authors rarely make one-dimensional villains.

Eeh I think that is a weird generalization to make, there are generic villains in any country's media. However it is true that we might not have all the facts, but going by what we do have, I stand by what I said.

Do not misunderstand or assume that because I'm criticizing Nanase that I believe that Yuni or Fuuko are guiltless, I just believe that she's a contributing factor to the problems. I'm not really sure how she's any less guilty than Yuni or anything, but you do you.

If this was aimed at me, I don't remember claiming that...? Once again, it does not really matter who is more or less guilty of anything when everyone is at fault. There is no running tally of guilt.

or bat so hard for the creep for that matter.

I've said it in other story discussions, but I love awful women. I am a proud supporter of women's rights and women's wrongs. It makes for great drama, whether or not there's any lesson learned.

Heh, that is completely fair.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Of course Fuuko gives Yuni exactly what she wants, she is a creepy stalker who did her homework.

Anywho, Yuni and Nanase are your average "my first high school relationship" to a tee. They have different expectations and ideas about how relationships work, and are bad at communicating them. They are both immature and inexperienced, and like most hs romances, theirs would probably not last for long with or without outside influence. All very standard fare, but I am endlessly fascinated how in the eyes of this comment section all this makes Nanase equivalent to guilty of holocaust while Yuni is... fine because uwu kawaii or something I don't know. I just don't remember ever seeing people go so hard with throwing shade on a character in such a relatively innocuous story, or bat so hard for the creep for that matter. I mean I get that Fuuko is the only notable thing in this manga but still. It really does feel like to many this story too is an exercise in finding who is at fault, when there hardly was anyone who was "right" to begin with.

Having said that, I genuinely do think that all these inside and outside factors make this one a somewhat entertaining read, maybe the comments more than the story itself, in a good-for-a-chuckle sort of way. Probably also some of that morbid curiosity that was mentioned above.

last edited at May 25, 2022 7:24AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Oh right, this one. Still good for a laugh I suppose. Both the manga and the comment section.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Not sure what part of this reads like "actual love triangle" instead of "conspiracy to poke fun at the useless lesbian friend in denial (and maybe get her out of the closet)" to you guys...

Joke on you, it's that exactly who irk me. It's just 3 girls just poking fun again and again just because it's fun. It can be funny at first but it starting to get old and annoying.

Inclined to agree. It gets old when one character is lead by the nose all the time, no matter how much of a "useless lesbian" they may be. I get that that's the tone they probably wanted to go with this but eh. In a way I almost wish she had actually said "I am done with you stupid games" and left, see Miku being the one reacting for once.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

As was the case with Another or something like Final Destination even, the more the over the top deaths pile on the harder it is to actually care, the story sliding steadily from horror to comedy. It is decidedly a me-problem, I recognize that, but all the death and dramatics just start being funny to me over time. The ultimate conclusions of these stories tend not to be very satisfying either, but we shall see.

This is not a criticism of the format necessarily, just something I have noticed about myself I suppose. Hmm, maybe I was Tokiko all along...?

I don't think it's just you and I don't think it's even a problem. The metamorphosis from horror to humor is part of the enjoyment with works like this. If the author leans into the over-the-topness, even better.

Ah yeah, that's my bad for using the word "problem" there, I did not intend to characterize it as such really. I agree that such works can still be quite entertaining, though I sometimes lament the loss of that initial tension. Either way, good to see someone else sharing my POV on this!

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

As was the case with Another or something like Final Destination even, the more the over the top deaths pile on the harder it is to actually care, the story sliding steadily from horror to comedy. It is decidedly a me-problem, I recognize that, but all the death and dramatics just start being funny to me over time. The ultimate conclusions of these stories tend not to be very satisfying either, but we shall see.

This is not a criticism of the format necessarily, just something I have noticed about myself I suppose. Hmm, maybe I was Tokiko all along...?

last edited at May 14, 2022 2:57AM

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

looool it's Another all over again with that pen one

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

In this thread, people discovering it is possible to listen to other than current year music.

Anywho this is great so far, more please.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

The real magic is how Zanka creates not only the same manga but the same chapter every time, and yet it works every time. How mysterious.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Matsuri smiling bright as the sun made my day, and Miss Sunflower's too I'm sure.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

It was a pretty cute chapter and all, but all I can think about now is how much I love BaeRyS.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Randomly caught up with this manga on another reader and well, gotta agree with some of the previous comments here... frankly speaking I wish I had stopped reading around chapter 20 or so. Some of it is due to the translation being spotty at parts but still, what a mess.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Taco taco tacos , delicious tacos~~

There's no tacos like Amigo Tacos.

This one really is hard to say if it is going more for drama or fluff or both, the scenario as mentioned above is rather ridiculous but well we shall see. At any rate it is nice to see another Hijiki work.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

yeeees. misunderstanding arc. the best arc as its always followed by hugging-arc

Is the hugging arc not the better of the two though?

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Auntie is a bit of a hypocrite with the whole eavesdropping thing, huh. Among other things.

Eavesdropping on superiors in a military is a different indiscretion from eavesdropping on cadets.

Eavesdropping on superiors can lead to the spread of classified intel.

(I mean, I'm not saying she's justified in eavesdropping, or that she was being honest when she criticized her daughter, I'm just pointing out they're not exactly the same.)

Yes I am aware, however the way she phrased the accusation was "a proud officer cadet like you would never do something like that, right?", focusing on her daughter's character rather than any actual breaching of military code. And in this situation it is hardly an officer listening in on cadets either.

Point is, her own pride or lack thereof certainly does not seem to stop herself from eavesdropping.

I'm not sure I'd call what she's doing eavesdropping. They are literally right outside the room they were just arguing in. Do you expect her to up and change rooms just because they decided to have their conversation there. If they had any intention of not being overheard, they should've moved elsewhere. So to equate that to eavesdropping on your superior officers is a bit much.

Well, maybe, it is hard to say where they are exactly in relation to before with how the panels are set up. At any rate Auntie is shown as if noticing them, cracking the door open, and then listening in. Take that as you will.

I don't know why the degree of seriousness even matters, but it does not seem like this character comes off too well from all this so meh pointless argument either way.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Auntie is a bit of a hypocrite with the whole eavesdropping thing, huh. Among other things.

Eavesdropping on superiors in a military is a different indiscretion from eavesdropping on cadets.

Eavesdropping on superiors can lead to the spread of classified intel.

(I mean, I'm not saying she's justified in eavesdropping, or that she was being honest when she criticized her daughter, I'm just pointing out they're not exactly the same.)

Yes I am aware, however the way she phrased the accusation was "a proud officer cadet like you would never do something like that, right?", focusing on her daughter's character rather than any actual breaching of military code. And in this situation it is hardly an officer listening in on cadets either.

Point is, her own pride or lack thereof certainly does not seem to stop herself from eavesdropping.

last edited at Mar 26, 2022 6:58AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Is this where the five chapter long sex scene starts?

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

It also feels very satisfying to shut the hater group down with a flood of truth, though how successful it would actually be in reality is questionable.

Idol otaku do be crazy bastards, so probably not very.

Skyrin
Milktea discussion 05 Mar 03:14
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

There are so many reasons people grow apart, especially when it comes to high school crushes. It does not have to be "I was just experimenting".

Nice translation, and a nice song too.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Happy to see Sachi's possible future career in photography is explored more and not left as an afterthought. I hope she/they will go.

Skyrin
Liberty discussion 28 Feb 11:32
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

"I wonder if one day I'll become someone worthy of Liz"

Wow. Can't remember when last a line of text in a story pissed me off this much.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

This reminds me of at least 3 different mangas who did the same scenario only this one cut out everything the story didn't need and just kept in the actual point of it.

10/10!

There are so many of them that start out the exact same way. So many.

I enjoyed this one though. Short and to the point indeed.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Old school yuri for nostalgia's sake, I guess?
There was a time when all yuri was like this, all about closeness of the hearts... no pda, no dating as gfs, just feelings in their hearts.
We live now in a day and age with yuri about a girl going to a lesbian brothel and sampling all the hot babes is taken as normal... so I guess we have become spoiled and expect much more from our yuri than the readers in the past would have.

Some days you need that warm feeling in the heart more than a lesbian brothel.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Well this comment section certainly took a turn or two. Nice to see this manga back though. Pants would have made more sense for a melee fighter for sure but whatever, chalk it up to the fashion sense of miss witch I guess.