Forum › Posts by halmoni

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

a) he mocks her thus creating mental challenges and obstacles for her
b) he's regardless of his gender a love threat to the main couple

Yes, but how are those "mental challenges" related to Seol-a's goals in the story as the protagonist? Being an asshole to someone and annoying them doesn't make you an antagonist. That was naturally a part of his personality, and Seol-a knows this. We all know that Ji-hwan cares a lot about Seol-a. He would never hurt her intentionally; like Seol-a has said herself, Ji-hwan is like a brother to her. Being a part of a love triangle doesn't make a character an antagonist either.

When Ji-hwan intervened with his confession, there was no "main couple" to become a threat to. At that point in time (ch.25), neither No-rae nor Seol-a had acknowledged their feelings for each other. No-rae's reason for rejecting Ji-hwan wasn't because she liked Seol-a either, it was because she didn't feel ready for a relationship.

reread the chapters ~10-15 or so to recall how Seol-a caught herself disturbed by Ji-hwan x No-rae

She certainly was disturbed, but not because of romantic concerns. She only realized her feelings for No-rae very recently. According to chapters 10-15, Seol-a was disturbed due to the fact that she was suspicious of whether No-rae was using her to get closer to Ji-hwan or not. She wasn't jealous of No-rae's relationship with Ji-hwan.

everything directly or indirectly pointed to Ji-hwan as the source of her irritation

Once again, irritation =/= actual mental distress. The idea that No-rae could be using Seol-a to get closer to Ji-hwan caused Seol-a much more grief than Ji-hwan himself ever did.

And that is precisely what made Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo antagonists. Villains? No. Archenemies. No. Antagonists? Yes.

Archenemy and villain essentially mean the same thing as antagonist. However the term "foil" is not synonymous with antagonist. Ji-hwan wasn't an antagonist for being a foil, or for confessing to No-rae. You could argue that Kyung-woo was an antagonist during his arc. Kyung-woo was romantically pursuing Seol-a, even going as far as to use dirty methods like getting her completely plastered, but No-rae confronted and stopped him. Throughout his arc (chapters in the early 30's or so), No-rae was aware of her feelings for Seol-a (ch. 27), and so Kyung-woo's actions clearly opposed her goals. He presented a challenge that No-rae felt that she had to overcome. If you compare and contrast Kyung-woo and Ji-hwan's situations, you'll see why it makes sense to say that Kyung-woo is an example of an antagonist, but Ji-hwan is not.

manipulative personality and him being the "obstacles" origin for Seol-a when it comes to No-rae

I honestly don't know where you got the idea that he has some sort of evil, manipulative personality. I can't think of any examples where he tried to use someone to gain something for himself. Like I've said before, when he confessed to No-rae, Seol-a wasn't aware of her feelings, and so she should not have considered him an obstacle. She was still distressed after hearing about his confession due to her underlying feelings, but her situation with Ji-hwan was nothing like No-rae's confrontation with Kyung-woo.

Compare Seol-a's reaction to Ji-hwan's confession to her reaction when she believes that her brother supposedly gets a glimpse of "No-rae" on her phone. Now that she's acknowledged her feelings, her reactions towards others getting close to No-rae are clearly different.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Did I miss something but since when was he an antagonist. I can't remember a single scene with him doing something bad to any of the girls.

Not everyone is deaf and can't understand word "no".

Don't you know that if you're a male character in a yuri series you'll automatically be labeled as the "antagonist"? Regardless of your actual character traits or role. /s

At the time of his confession to No-rae, Seol-a was not actively pursuing No-rae as a romantic interest; she didn't even realize her feelings for No-rae. So it's hard to say that Ji-hwan was being an antagonist by opposing one of our protagonist's goals (Seol-a), because becoming romantically involved with No-rae wasn't Seol-a's goal at that specific moment in time.

Now that Seol-a's goals have been somewhat...established, is Ji-hwan trying to stop Seol-a and get in the way? No. He's their number 1 supporter at the moment. Ji-hwan and Kyung-woo were set up to serve as foils for Seol-a and No-rae respectively. They both interact with the girls and attempt to become involved romantically, but in the end they both fail because they're lacking something (i.e. Kyung-woo lacked No-rae's honest, sincere, and pure attitude; Ji-hwan lacked Seol-a's patience as well as an understanding of No-rae's definition of "love" and thus he tells Seol-a that she needs to change her views on dating wooow best antagonist ever).

Basically the only reasons why people kept kicking Ji-hwan in the balls throughout the whole series were because 1) he's male and 2) het threat. Yu-ji fit the definition of antagonist way more than Ji-hwan (i.e. she obstructs Seol-a's goals of having a nice, peaceful school life by being a bitch, whether it was intentional or not). But people were too blinded by their yuri goggles cause hurr durr ohmigosh Yu-ji must have been Seol-a's first love blah blah blah and that one "I've felt/done this before" line by Seol-a was totes referring to Yu-ji, not that scene where she sleeps over at No-rae's place even though it's already been clarified, like, a billion times by the translator.

If Ji-hwan were a girl, I'm 5000% positive that we would've seen comments like, "I feel so bad for Ji-hwan-senpai-chan omggg she didn't deserve to be rejected like that she's loved No-rae for YEARS Ji-hwan x No-rae 4lyfe".

last edited at Sep 21, 2015 7:06PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

ch. 46 translation - http://pastebin.com/Ch4y75eR

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

The man's relationship with Seju was not explicitly stated (as of yet). He could be a brother, cousin, or fiancé for all we know. The only thing that we do know is that he's probably older than Seju or of the same age, since he uses informal speech.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

http://pastebin.com/Wj1mixh4

No-rae is straight and she's gonna move to australia with Ji-hwan to find Yu-ji because the real pairing in FF is No-rae/Yu-ji

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

44 rough trans: http://pastebin.com/tMgPPKx6

last edited at Sep 6, 2015 2:21PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I already posted a message on my tumblr, but I guess some people missed it. I'm taking new requests for translations again.

would you please share eng scanlation from ep.1? thx

Would you please read the first post of this thread? thx

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

This chapter was so great!
Anyways, Halmoni keeps referencing pushy fans who demand translations "NOW NOW NOW" does anyone know where she's getting this from? Certainly not from Dynasty, so where?

Mostly 4chan, facebook, or tumblr. The people here aren't as bad. I don't like it people are like "OMG WHERE'S THE OLD HAG I NEED THE TRANSLATIONS NAO PL00000X ㅋㅋㅋ" because it makes me feel like I have to rush, which means there are inevitably going to be more mistakes.

And I especially don't like it when Koreaboos use "ㅋㅋㅋ" (Korean equivalent of "lol") with their English comments because 1) I don't like Koreaboos, and 2) it feels like cultural appropration when they do things like that. Someone left a message similar to the example above on the facebook page, and it just made my motivation drop so much lol. It's not like they could have known about my pet peeve, but it was still something that bothered me a lot.

So yeah I'd appreciate it if people didn't mention me while I'm working on translations or leave messages like the example I gave. I like working in peace and quiet.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Hmm im curious, is it a korean tradition when you in a relationship to keep calling your partner with honorific? Sungji keep calling Sumin "team manager". Why not call her with her name or dear name like baby,honey,etc?

1) They just started going out, so they're not super familiar with each other
2) Sumin is 10 years older than Sungji. That's a significant age gap, and age is very important in Korea. It's considered rude to call someone by their first name if you're younger than them, unless you use the appropriate honorific.
3) Sumin is also Sungji's boss. Again, social status is very important in Korea as well.
4) It's probably more comfortable for Sungji to keep addressing Sumin as "team manager"

There are terms like "dear" or "honey" in Korean, but they're usually used between lovey-dovey couples or couples who have been together for a while. Just in general, I think it's weird to start calling someone "baby" or "honey" when you start dating them.

I already posted a message on my tumblr, but I guess some people missed it. I'm taking new requests for translations again.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

i'm a little confused about why seol-a says "I'm terrible, aren't I...? You're probably shocked at how utterly terrible I am, right?"

is it because she seemed kind of demanding when she said she wanted to sleep over at no-rae's? like something along the lines of needing to have things her way or something? 'cause it didn't really seem too much like that to me and that doesn't warrant her claiming she's "utterly terrible" that no-rae must be shocked. am i missing something or just being stupid and not reading carefully enough?

Hmm the Korean phrase (못됐다) refers to having a bad personality, being mean/rude, being an asshole, etc. I think in this case, Seol-a was saying that she's a bad person for acting like a stubborn child. No-rae told her that she should go to bed because sleeping on her shoulder wouldn't be comfortable, but Seol-a insisted that she was comfortable, and she also implied that No-rae only said "It's uncomfortable here" because No-rae was the one who was uncomfortable.

However, after No-rae said "Do as you like. Because I'll be fine with whatever you decide", Seol-a realized that No-rae was thinking about Seol-a's best interest, and not her own needs. She probably wanted to take back what she said about No-rae feeling uncomfortable. That's why she said "I'm terrible", because she acted selfishly without considering No-rae's intentions. Or something like that. idk it's just my interpretation so I could be wrong

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

But I'm still not sure whether this is yuri though. (。々°)

ff isn't yuri it's a yaoi manhwa about ji-hwan x professor set in australia

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

What does, "Isn't she OP" mean? What's OP?

"OP" is shorthand for "overpowered", usually a term used in video games to describe a character that's super strong. Synonyms include: broken, imba, imbalanced

Strange term to use for describing a person, but that's what the Korean version used

I want clear on whose perspective it was towards the end as far as the boxes. Is it actually Seol-a?

Yes that's Seol-a

last edited at Aug 30, 2015 10:31PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

http://pastebin.com/b3z1qa3S
and now sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep

thank you halmoni!!!!

thanks for posting it for me

sorry I was waiting on purpose while drinking the salty tears of entitled fans who kept demanding translations NOW NOW NOW when I'm studying for finals so yea

probably my new favorite chapter

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Didn't you hear? Next week is a special triple-length chapter where they'll time travel to Ancient Korea where there'll be historical language, songs, poetry, opera and royal honorifics. ;D

NooOOOOOOOOOOO MERCY PLS

A few minor errors I noticed:

Doc: Because she's young and healthy, it's possible for her to recovery quickly. However...
Doc: Because she's young and healthy, it's possible for her to recover quickly. However...

le douche: What? Want me to give you a piggyback ride?
A line by Seol-a and a line by "le douche" (lawl) are missing here.
Seol-a: Fxck off. Bxstard.

So how many buckets did you use to contain the tears shed while translating this?

Thanks for pointing out those errors! They should be fixed now.

bruh at least like 69 buckets

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

ch. 42 rough english translation:

http://pastebin.com/we8ae8Xr

ssamba mercy pls these chapters are so long

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Haha okey i admit that i have complex character
Soo whatt???!! Pleasee this manhua not just about seol-a,i need no rae to show up more,are these so hard to understand.
Past is just past anyway,that cannot redo

Yeah, totally I mean it's not like Seol-a is one of the protagonists of the story or anything y'know? liek she totes doesn't deserve 2-3 chapters of backstory bcuz no one currs hurrdurr

If you don't care about reading a half decent story that contains characters with pasts that contribute to who they are/how they act in the present, you're probably reading FF for the wrong reasons. But saying that it was "a waste of time" waiting a month and a half for the new chapter, just because it didn't go the way you wanted it to, is extremely rude to the author.

p.s. Manhua is Chinese, manhwa is Korean

last edited at Aug 18, 2015 7:24PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

So did someone besides Halmoni start doing English translations of this series? I certainly haven't heard of any. If not, then what's on that sketchy "Adult manga" site are basically the sort of theft that caused halmoni to stop making stuff publicly available in the first place.

Way to add to the problem, but I guess "BUT I DESERVE EVERYTHING FREE" is more important.

Yes, someone on twitter asked their friend to translate for them so they could typeset and distribute wdfs to twitter followers for free. However an anon on /u/ was apparently "stealing" those translations by ripping them and putting them up on mediafire, which is what caused that person to stop. /u/ had another translator anon, but they disappeared or something after doing one chapter. Another anon also tried to translate but was criticized for their subpar English.

So now anons are (1) waiting for that first translator anon to return or (2) trying to infiltrate either my or the twitter person's "secret club" in order to leak translations.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I feel a little disapointed to last chapter.
WHERE is NO-RAE,seol-a past is too complicated and move on already,seol-a already have no-rae,dont bother with YU-JI girl --'
It wasting my time for waiting (its almost 2 months) ,and the only thing i can see is flashback u.u
I'm sorry for the mean thing i just say,but i only want to see seol-a X no-rae moment.
Sincerely

oh noez, complex characters with backstories that actually contribute to making them multidimensional instead of moar gurl x gurl scenes????!!!11 GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS

If you're gonna call FF a waste of time because "omg 3manyflashbacks5me", I'd recommend just dropping it now. There are plenty of other yuri stories out there with much faster pacing. It's surprising how people are still complaining about the pace when we've been through 41 chapters already.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

... ZERO FOX WERE GIVEN BY ME

anon your puns give me life

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Am I allowed to post links here? Well if not my bad...but you guys can read his here: [Yup, your bad - Nez]

Alright. Well I should be able to at least allude to the site, right?...or is that still not allowed...this time I actually read the forum rules and rule 8 says nothing about mentioning the site as long as i'm not linking.

why do people like you exist like jfc is it that hard to buy this manhwa?

unless you're living out on the streets and you're posting to dynasty using free wifi from mcdonald's or some shit, don't give me the "I'm too poor to afford this manhwa so let me read it for free lel" excuse

forum rules or not, I don't want to drag dynasty into this whole Lezhin-DMCA mess, (regardless of how unlikely it may seem to you that they'll suffer real, legal consequences) because NO ONE here is or was involved with it in the first place, and that's why I don't want people posting links. use some common sense.

last edited at Aug 18, 2015 3:02AM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I dont get it when seol a said "but you still have to be the one to catch my bouquet". Is that means she joke around about marrying Yuji?

Not necessarily. It was more like, "Although Yuji is my friend, you're also 'barely my friend' (meant as a joke), and you're important to me, so I want you to be the one to catch my bouquet."

In Korea, women will typically stage the bouquet toss for Western style weddings, and have their best friend catch the bouquet. I could add this as a little t/n if people find that this clarifies things.

last edited at Aug 17, 2015 11:04PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Btw i read that FF will only have 50 chapters? That's definitely not true right?

Uhh definitely wrong. WDFS is around 40-50 chapters, FF is undetermined. Did you get that from lightaeng's twitter? I saw her account recently and I think she said something like that. I wouldn't consider her an accurate source of info lol

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Didn't you know? This is in fact what this series is all about:

• going to Australia
  • coming back from Australia
  • having vehicle accidents
  • combinations of the above, e.g., having automobile accidents in Australia

Any yuri that may occur is purely incidental.

:3

I wouldn't be surprised if Ssamba changed the title to "Australian Feelings" in the future tbh

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

god damn this was a long chapter

rough translation: http://pastebin.com/1bSbcsHV

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

As of right now, I will not be taking any new requests for translations. An anon on /u/ stated that they may potentially leak my translations after requesting them, and so at the moment I do not feel comfortable sending out translations to newer people (including those who messaged me after Chapter 22 was released). After things settle down, I will reconsider accepting new requests. Sorry for the inconvenience!